HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
you can twist it any way you like but he said we have spent years accumulating building blocks, and it would not be smart to tear them down right away. We're still building, sure if a deal comes along that involves a young player at another position sure he'll look at it, but not for a 33 year old vet with a 10 year contract. Gardiner, Rielly and our first are going nowhere. If Gillis wants one of them he's going to have to add significant pieces along with Luongo.
How am I twisting anything? He didn't specify Jake himself. He was questioned on whether he fell into a group of building blocks. I think he values Rielly higher, which he should.

I still stand by my feeling that Luongo won't be traded to Toronto. We aren't good trading partners. What we need, you either don't have, you overvalue, or you won't trade. If you are trading for Luongo, it's because you want to win now, so you would have to think players in your top six would be off the table completely. What's left of value to Vancouver? Gardiner is likely a third pairing D on Vancouver right now and Kadri would still be in a fight to make the team even with Kesler injured. What interest would Vancouver seriously have beyond Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri and the first overall? The same reason that Leafs fans don't want them traded makes them the most sought after. There really isn't much left after that in your organization that meets our needs.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
ZKassian9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL, grasping aren't we?
Nope, Nonis actually only mentioned Rielly. It was the hockey central crew that brought up Gardiner.

Lu not only brings great goaltending to TO but it will help them get free agents as well. Leafs havent got a good free agent in years. When Richards was looking for a team, was he going to pick the Rangers and Lundquist or the Leafs and Reimer??? Good goaltending will change the teams confidence and free agents opinions. I watched almost every Canucks game last year and since January they played horrible but their goaltending stole them enough games to win the Presidents. I think Leaf fans would be blown away if they actually got someone that could stop the puck.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Roberto Luongo's suitors

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...l0v4ls.twitter

Old
01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Also that the last 14 teams all have a shot at the #1 overall pick via the lotto, makes the Leafs 1st this year realistically off the table, 2014 1st sure or this years protected.
I wish people would stop saying pick 6-14 are way more valuable because based on what was reported the odds haven't changed. Yes 14th last can win the lottery but the odds are still only 0.5%.

8th place historically has been the highest to ever win the lottery.

25.0% - Columbus Blue Jackets - 65 points
18.8% - Edmonton Oilers - 74 points
14.2% - Montreal Canadiens - 78 points
10.7% - New York Islanders - 79 points
8.1% - Toronto Maple Leafs - 80 points
6.2% - Anaheim Ducks - 80 points
4.7% - Minnesota Wild - 81 points
3.6% - Carolina Hurricanes - 82 points
2.7% - Winnipeg Jets - 84 points
2.1% - Tampa Bay Lightning - 84 points
1.5% - Washington Capitals (from Colorado) - 88 points
1.1% - Buffalo Sabres - 89 points
0.8% - Dallas Stars - 89 points
0.5% - Calgary Flames - 90 points

Old
01-11-2013, 01:58 PM
IKEA

the recent proposals from the leaf sides have been ridiculous serious or not. Gardiner for a 1st, Kassian, & Luongo, and some Leaf posters rejecting that offer - wow! This is absolutely ludicrous. Imagine if Toronto & Vancouver HF posters were responsible for negotiating the new CBA. We would never be able to watch a NHL game ever again.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:00 PM
wreckless

Part of me looks at the whole situation like this..

Assume Vancouver fans had not run Luongo out of town.. Or assume we just decided to give him another chance based on circumstances.. We would have traded Cory for a major piece, and Luongo would still be our 'elite franchise goaltender'

That said, struggling teams like Toronto have a chance to get would could still be Vancouvers #1 Goalie for relatively peanuts.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:02 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
LOL, grasping aren't we?
Not really.

Everyone who saw/listened to that interview knows Gardiner wasn't mentioned until prodded by Kypper.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Almost as good as being Vezina nominated!!!
Used to like your posts now I agree with the other poster: Being in these threads for so long & trying/wanting to get a deal done has made you bitter.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Inverted
RIP Hughesy

MLSE and its fans should decide if they would be better with 3-5 years of Luongo or next 5-10 years of Gardiner, Reilly & Kadri?

Its pretty much a no brainer.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Used to like your posts now I agree with the other poster: The bitterness of being in these threads has really gotten to you.
I don't blame him. This has been the most annoying of discussions. I got booted for the first time ever because of them...and I have been here since 1998. Seriously. These threads suck.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Used to like your posts now I agree with the other poster: The bitterness of being in these threads has really gotten to you.
let's be honest, the thread has gotten to anybody that has spent significant time in it

Old
01-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
MLSE and its fans should decide if they would be better with 3-5 years of Luongo or next 5-10 years of Gardiner, Reilly & Kadri?

We'd get all 3?! Wow that's awesome!

Why not box? 3-5 short term success, and have Rielly+Kadri be the future, or any combo of that. etc

Old
01-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
I don't blame him. This has been the most annoying of discussions. I got booted for the first time ever because of them...and I have been here since 1998. Seriously. These threads suck.
Yup. 100% agree. Its gotten to me at times (yesterday a good example but then again that one guy WAS trolling about van/bos)

Thats why I was trying so hard to get them closed down when during the lockout when no deal could get done & we hadn't heard a thing in months. All leaving it open did was make 2 fan bases (which already didn't like each other) hate each other even more & make good sensible posters angry & bitter towards each other to the point that having a decent discussion about a deal is IMPOSSIBLE.

Van/Tor make TERRIBLE trading partners. Its fitting a circular peg into a square hole.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKEA View Post
the recent proposals from the leaf sides have been ridiculous serious or not. Gardiner for a 1st, Kassian, & Luongo, and some Leaf posters rejecting that offer - wow! This is absolutely ludicrous. Imagine if Toronto & Vancouver HF posters were responsible for negotiating the new CBA. We would never be able to watch a NHL game ever again.
To be fair, the proposals are all over the map with some outliers on both sides. Trying to look at it somewhat objectively here are my thoughts:
1. The Leafs appear to be the front runners but given Gillis' and the Canucks' past trades with Florida, I think that Florida could be the team. Gillis doesn't usually leak info about trades so I suspect that any leaks of a so-called agree to deal with Toronto ar coming from Toronto.
2. If the sort of agreed to deal was Bozak, Kadri and a second then I believe the deal would have been done months ago. I think Gillis is trying to get more and will only fall back on that if there is nothing else out there.
3. Luongo's value is tough to guage because only a few teams can take the financial risk on the contract and his age is a factor. Having said that, top goalies like him rarely hit the market and for a cash rich team like the Leafs I think the risk is fairly manageable although obviously not negligent.

All in all, right now I feel like the SNL skit 'Lowered Expectations'.
I've resigned myself to a fairly modest return but will be pleasantly surprised if my blind date turns out to be Scarlett Johansson errr...I mean Jake Gardiner or a high Florida prospect rather than Tyler Bozak. On the other hand after a few beers....

Old
01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
James Mirtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Anyone have a link to this Mirtle 3 way trade rumor? I can't find it in this thread or on google
There's no such rumour.

Old
LPH

Quote:

Of course it's a no brainer, but you aren't exactly being fair here

No Canuck fans (even the more crazy ones) have asked for Gardiner, Kadri and Reilly

Although I'm not asking for Gardiner, Leafs with Luongo are better than the leafs with Gardiner imo and that is for sure true with Kadri.

Old
Inverted
RIP Hughesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
We'd get all 3?! Wow that's awesome!

Why not box? 3-5 short term success, and have Rielly+Kadri be the future, or any combo of that. etc
I should have added "either" of but I guess it was implied by what I said

Old
01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKassian9 View Post
Nope, Nonis actually only mentioned Rielly. It was the hockey central crew that brought up Gardiner.

Lu not only brings great goaltending to TO but it will help them get free agents as well. Leafs havent got a good free agent in years. When Richards was looking for a team, was he going to pick the Rangers and Lundquist or the Leafs and Reimer??? Good goaltending will change the teams confidence and free agents opinions. I watched almost every Canucks game last year and since January they played horrible but their goaltending stole them enough games to win the Presidents. I think Leaf fans would be blown away if they actually got someone that could stop the puck.
Or could it be because he won the cup with Torterella when he played on the Lightning?

Old
01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
LPH

Quote:
I should have added "either" of but I guess it was implied by what I said
so you're saying that Toronto would be better with Kadri than it would with Luongo?

Old
01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
so you're saying that Toronto would be better with Kadri than it would with Luongo?
In 4 or 5 years, when Roberto is 38-39 and struggling to maintain his level of play and Nazem Kadri is putting up sixty point seasons, yes, Toronto would be better long term with Nazem Kadri.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
Or could it be because he won the cup with Torterella when he played on the Lightning?
No doubt that helps but I'm 100% certain B. Richards isn't SO short sighted to think that Torts would be around for the long haul... he is a NHL coach in the biggest city in the World. He can't hide from the pressures of being in NYR if they falter.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
In 4 or 5 years, when Roberto is 38-39 and struggling to maintain his level of play and Nazem Kadri is putting up sixty point seasons, yes, Toronto would be better long term with Nazem Kadri.
I'm beginning to see the problem here.......

Old
01-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post
I think there could very well be a darkhorse or two involved here.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

new thread

Closed Thread