HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lombardi & Kings spending to the cap?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Lombardi & Kings spending to the cap?

It's from TFP, take it for what it's worth;

Quote:
Los Angeles GM Dean Lombardi has been given the green light by ownership to do what he needs to do defend the Kings' championship title.

Last season, the Kings captured their first Stanley Cup in franchise history and are poised to repeat, given how the majority of their roster is intact.

But if needed, Lombardi has the club's blessing to make the necessary changes to return to the Cup Final in June, and if that mean's spending to the $70.2 million salary cap, he confirmed he's allowed to do so.

Tim Leiweke, the Kings' governor, reiterated the club's position.

"We want to repeat," Leiweke said. "From the moment we began to feel like we were getting close to a (new CBA), all we've talked about is 'what can we do to give (our team) a better chance to repeat.' That's all we care about."
Looking at that roster - the offense seems fine with all players healthy. Top 3 lines are pretty much established. Blueline has Doughty, Mitchell, Scuderi, Voynov, Greene and whomever.

Don't think they need to make a trade, though they still have Bernier and others as pieces.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
mavstar
I hate Nucks' fans

vCash: 500
If it 'aint broke, don't fix it. I imagine they'll start the season with the roster they have now and they'll make some changes down the road if necessary.

mavstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

FrozenKing18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

All due respect to the if it ain't broke don't fix it folks this is fantastic news. This season will not be played in a vacuum There can be injuries or players that just don't play to their potential or any miriam of potential pitfalls. Affording dean the 70.2 with complete green light is just what we MAY need come trade deadline to really push this club over the top (for this shortened season anyway)

A 48 game season is a whole nother animal

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

The Kings may have benefitted most from the lockout. In this era it is so difficult to repeat especially as the Cup finals go into June each season. The lockout should minimize the cup hangover effect.

I could see some experienced D depth added but that's it

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Ricky Bobby

The way I read it is the Kings will be targeting UFA D depth first and UFA forward depth 2nd.

Guys like Ryder, Zidlicky, Cullen, Regehr come to mind. Not star players but certainly great depth players.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Winger23

For the first time I can ever remember the kings really have no needs if healthy. Finally paying off following this team after so many years of sucking!

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
rajuabju

I also see us getting a depth/veteran D. Probably something involving moving Drewiske + mid-level prospect + mid-level pick.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Nash

I can't see the Kings doing anything but adding depth. They have to be pretty happy with what they have, but must know they were very fortunate to have such a healthy lineup through last year's playoff run. 18 of the starting 20 played every game. The other 2 slots were shuffled with depth players and Gagne coming back off of a long term injury. Running the same 6 defenseman was an amazing feat, but they should try to shore up some legitimate depth at 7th and 8th.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
IKEA

As much as I would hate to see it happen, I feel as if the Kings have the best chances to repeat, especially with the shorten season if the club stays relatively healthy

IKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
xECK29x

Only question mark is Quick right? He had a pretty major injury.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Halpysback

Only two teams "haven't been broke" in the last 20 years of hockey.

Kings are most likely broken, they just don't know it yet.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Ronk

If they do add it would be a 1yr UFA grab. Getting anyone with any kind of contract beyond this year would be a mistake given the cap dip.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Only question mark is Quick right? He had a pretty major injury.
It was discribed as minor back surgery and he was working out with the kings minor league team Mancheaster monarchs during the lockout. He is said to be ready.

As for kings question marks according to blogger matt berry Kopitar is out 4-6 weeks and mitchell is also for a undetermined amount of time.

As for what they would be in the market for I could see adding someone like iginla at the deadline for a push. With Sutter and iggys relationship i thought they may have a inside track to get the superstar Iggy will have alot of say into where he wants to go. He maybe a good fit into the kings system knowing what sutter would want him to do.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Leo W

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
It was discribed as minor back surgery and he was working out with the kings minor league team Mancheaster monarchs during the lockout. He is said to be ready.

As for kings question marks according to blogger matt berry Kopitar is out 4-6 weeks and mitchell is also for a undetermined amount of time.

As for what they would be in the market for I could see adding someone like iginla at the deadline for a push. With Sutter and iggys relationship i thought they may have a inside track to get the superstar Iggy will have alot of say into where he wants to go. He maybe a good fit into the kings system knowing what sutter would want him to do.
What? Kopitar is out 2-3 weeks.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:37 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Well one of the posters on the la board usually was spot on with injury updates, claimed that it was closer to 4 weeks or more.

Dean said the original assessment of 2-3 weeks was correct.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:40 PM
rajuabju

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post

For who though? Calgary would want a major return coming back their way.

Maybe if they finally blow up and mover Kipper as well, Kings could offer Bernier + prospect not named Toffoli/Pearson/Forbort + pick for Iginla? But all indications are that the Flames management is setting for up another flame-out.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
According to matt berry the kings are underselling the injury. He generally has the inside track when it comes to injurys. Its generally thought that he knows someone on the trainers staff ( i seem to remember him being right injurys more then once)

Old
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
For who though? Calgary would want a major return coming back their way.

Maybe if they finally blow up and mover Kipper as well, Kings could offer Bernier + prospect not named Toffoli/Pearson/Forbort + pick for Iginla? But all indications are that the Flames management is setting for up another flame-out.
I see the offer more of Lotki + Martinez/hickey/muzzin and king/nolon for iginla