HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Sign Subban

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 08:03 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think you're just playing dumb right now.
PK played 2 games in 2009, who cares if they both played their 1st NHL game in 2009. It's completely besides the point and you know it, so why even bring this up?

Actually, I never said they are on the same level. I said PK isn't far off and IF steps it up and settles his play down (which means, takes less chances and smarter decisions). Not sure what was so hard to understand there, are you purposely misreading?
I think you're back peddling from your initial "stud" comment and trying to justify how amazing PK is when I've said many times I agree with what you were saying except for that initial comment.

PK is good but he's not great and he's certainly not accomplished what Doughty and Karlsson have accomplished and they are stud defensman by anyone's standards and not just usder certain circumstances. When he does accomplish something significant than by all means praise him. I'll wait until he becomes a stud before I call him one.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think you're back peddling from your initial "stud" comment and trying to justify how amazing PK is when I've said many times I agree with what you were saying except for that initial comment.

PK is good but he's not great and he's certainly not accomplished what Doughty and Karlsson have accomplished and they are stud defensman by anyone's standards and not just usder certain circumstances. When he does accomplish something significant than by all means praise him. I'll wait until he becomes a stud before I call him one.
I haven't back peddle in the slightest. I had to explain to you that I didn't upheld PK in the same category as guys like Weber (I know it's crazy to assume someone would have different levels of evaluation for a rookie, a sophomore or 4-10year veterans. Nuts I tell you.)
PK as a rookie and as a sophomore was more than Good (do I have to again write all things considered?).
You don't have to praise anybody, and I'm not. I'm simply giving proper credit where its due.
But let's put this useless debate to rest. At least we can agree that he hasn't been bad, and let's leave it at that.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:34 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I haven't back peddle in the slightest. I had to explain to you that I didn't upheld PK in the same category as guys like Weber (I know it's crazy to assume someone would have different levels of evaluation for a rookie, a sophomore or 4-10year veterans. Nuts I tell you.)
PK as a rookie and as a sophomore was more than Good (do I have to again write all things considered?).
You don't have to praise anybody, and I'm not. I'm simply giving proper credit where its due.
But let's put this useless debate to rest. At least we can agree that he hasn't been bad, and let's leave it at that.
Agreed.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Jigger77

Well, it's Friday...Camp starts in 48hrs.

Hoping we hear something soon.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Et le But

Maybe Subban is planning on holding out until training camp is over like NFL players do, and will then proceed to get injured early on for being out of game shape.

Tank commander PK!

Old
01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Jigger77

I just hope he's there from day 1 of camp. One week to get this whole new bunch of guys working on the same page without a single pre-season game means they'll need every single practice. Actually not even a week. 6 days.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I just hope he's there from day 1 of camp. One week to get this whole new bunch of guys working on the same page without a single pre-season game means they'll need every single practice. Actually not even a week. 6 days.
Didn't Gionta say a few of the guys weren't very happy that Subban isn't even in Montreal right now?

Old
01-11-2013, 11:07 AM
habtastic

The only thing I've seen PK work at to be in game shape is sit on a sportsnet panel in various stylish outfits and appear in several commercials. I really hope he's ready to start contributing off the bat. It would also be nice if he had a contract. I have a hard time fathoming that things are going to get difficult with Bergevin, Meehan and PK, but I'll be very relieved when the deal is actually done (hopefully today).

Old
01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Didn't Gionta say a few of the guys weren't very happy that Subban isn't even in Montreal right now?
No he said he hasn't seen Subban in Montreal all summer and something like maybe he'd be here if he had a commercial to shoot(or something like that). Pretty sure he was kidding around because Subban was here a few times this summer.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
The only thing I've seen PK work at to be in game shape is sit on a sportsnet panel in various stylish outfits and appear in several commercials. I really hope he's ready to start contributing off the bat. It would also be nice if he had a contract. I have a hard time fathoming that things are going to get difficult with Bergevin, Meehan and PK, but I'll be very relieved when the deal is actually done (hopefully today).
Why was he not doing pullups during those segments?!!

Old
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Yes, because people with jobs can't also stay in shape.

The last thing anyone should be worried about is the conditioning of PK Subban.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Kid Dynomite

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Key decision day which direction #Canadiens take on @PKSubban1 negotiations. A significant commitment needs 2b made to get him in camp Sun

Old
01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeesh...this is how stupid rumors and bad hearsay starts. This isn't even anywhere close to what Gionta said (which was a joke, first of all).

Old
01-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
I have to say I always was a big fan of Subban and didn't really listen to all the "attitude problems" talk but now he does come across as someone with an "im better and more important than everyone" attitude. His good friend Price signed the 2 years transition contract, Pacioretty signed it too, and these two are key parts of the team that went on and signed the big deal afterwards. It seems like Subban thinks he's so good he can have the Doughty deal right away. And the fact that he's not in MTL right now almost confirms all the rumours that he's not really a team player. Camp hasn't started yet and instead of training with his teammates he hangs out with the Leafs.

Too bad, he's really good on the ice but I'm tempted to join the trade him bandwagon

Old
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Well, it's Friday...Camp starts in 48hrs.

Hoping we hear something soon.
we cant heat anything until the players ratification of the cba is done. no trades and do signing will be announced and confirmed until then

Old
01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I have to say I always was a big fan of Subban and didn't really listen to all the "attitude problems" talk but now he does come across as someone with an "im better and more important than everyone" attitude. His good friend Price signed the 2 years transition contract, Pacioretty signed it too, and these two are key parts of the team that went on and signed the big deal afterwards. It seems like Subban thinks he's so good he can have the Doughty deal right away. And the fact that he's not in MTL right now almost confirms all the rumours that he's not really a team player. Camp hasn't started yet and instead of training with his teammates he hangs out with the Leafs.

Too bad, he's really good on the ice but I'm tempted to join the trade him bandwagon
This is for you (and many others in the this thread):

Old
01-11-2013, 12:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

His good friend Price only signed that contract in September, so of course everyone had already decided that he was "playing hardball" and that he was screwing the Habs and that he was only looking out for himself and holding out for big money and that we should trade him if the package is right...

Basically the exact same things people are saying about Subban now.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
DJ Breadman

habs players are pissed that subban is still in Toronto? Well O'riely is staying in the khl till his contract is done, get over it

Old
01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
This is for you (and many others in the this thread):

You are right, what I wrote is based on him not signing before camp and it could very well be all done before then, but still he's not in MTL right now. He could be training with Habs teammates instead of with the leafs

Old
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

If he joins camp and gets injured before his contract is signed he's pretty much screwed. So I can see why he'd hold out.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
You are right, what I wrote is based on him not signing before camp and it could very well be all done before then, but still he's not in MTL right now. He could be training with Habs teammates instead of with the leafs
Hell no! What if he gets injured while training, without a contract..... that would be a stupid move by his part.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeesh...this is how stupid rumors and bad hearsay starts. This isn't even anywhere close to what Gionta said (which was a joke, first of all).
Martin McGuire, a respected journalist from http://www.985sports.ca/, mentioned in his daily camp update (audio file available), that some players seem a little bit annoyed by the fact that Subban decided to stay in Toronto. According to McGuire, they are under the impression that he should be skating with them or, at least, participate in off-ice activities.

Gionta was more direct. Apparently the Habs players played for charity during the lockout but Subban preferred to play in a charity event in Toronto. It did bug Gionta.
You can disagree with the players but unless you are calling McGuire a liar, this is not stupid rumors and/or bad hearsay.

Personally, I respect Martin McGuire and I think he is telling the truth. Is it a big deal? I don't think so but apparently the players think that Subban should make an effort to reinforce his "team first" attitude.

I wrote earlier in this thread that Bergevin is trying to implement a contractual team structure and I fully support him. If it was good enough for Pacioretty and Price, it's good enough for Subban imo. I realise that Subban's contribution may be bigger than both of them at the same age but we should not undervalue the importance of the word "team" in "contractual team structure". The whole concept is not just about money imo: if you want to play with Montreal, you will need to put the team first... that kind of thing.

Subban is, by far, one of my favorite players but if he refuses to accept the team structure, I would be willing to ship him out of town. Subban must not forget that the (that the... is it acceptable in English? It sounds weird... ) contractual team structure's main objective is to build a contender. The question is not "Does the team see me in its future" (as he mentioned on Twitter); it is "Is Subban willing to make a sacrifice in an effort to build a contender"... imo!

Old
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Martin McGuire, a respected journalist from http://www.985sports.ca/, mentioned in his daily camp update (audio file available), that some players seem a little bit annoyed by the fact that Subban decided to stay in Toronto. According to McGuire, they are under the impression that he should be skating with them or, at least, participate in off-ice activities.

Gionta was more direct. Apparently the Habs players played for charity during the lockout but Subban preferred to play in a charity event in Toronto. It did bug Gionta.
You can disagree with the players but unless you are calling McGuire a liar, this is not stupid rumors and/or bad hearsay.

Personally, I respect Martin McGuire and I think he is telling the truth. Is it a big deal? I don't think so but apparently the players think that Subban should make an effort to reinforce his "team first" attitude.

I wrote earlier in this thread that Bergevin is trying to implement a contractual team structure and I fully support him. If it was good enough for Pacioretty and Price, it's good enough for Subban imo. I realise that Subban's contribution may be bigger than both of them at the same age but we should not undervalue the importance of the word "team" in "contractual team structure". The whole concept is not just about money imo: if you want to play with Montreal, you will need to put the team first... that kind of thing.

Subban is, by far, one of my favorite players but if he refuses to accept the team structure, I would be willing to ship him out of town. Subban must not forget that the (that the... is it acceptable in English? It sounds weird... ) contractual team structure's main objective is to build a contender. The question is not "Does the team see me in its future" (as he mentioned on Twitter); it is "Is Subban willing to make a sacrifice in an effort to build a contender"... imo!
This is BS. Unsigned players never take part in team activities.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
This is BS. Unsigned players never take part in team activities.
Unless McGuire is lying (a possibility but I doubt it), that's what Gionta and a few other players are thinking.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I think this idea of structure, if it's true, is a bad idea because it's better to think strategically instead of being so rigid.

I don't see up being a Cup contender in the next two years so why wouldn't we want to pay Subban more cap hit then he's worth in those two years if it means that we can have him with a lower cap hit in years 4, 5 and 6 in his contract.

Plus, I don't see how we win in this situation, it's a stupid battle with nothing to gain and plenty to lose.

Closed Thread