HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Championship and the new NHL season?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:27 AM
Den

vCash: 500
World Championship and the new NHL season?

If the NHL starts now, does it mean that the WCH will be during the regular season?

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:48 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Looks like the preliminary schedule has the NHL season slated to end near the end of April.

WHC starts at May 3rd, so I guess it's possible to see NHL players at the WHC. But it's cutting it close, so I doubt we'll see great many. USA and Canada will probably have enough volume put together some kind of squads out of the clubs that dropped out by then, but save for a few names, I expect the European countries' to roll mostly with guys who play in Europe.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:48 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Looks like the preliminary schedule has the NHL season slated to end near the end of April.

WHC starts at May 3rd, so I guess it's possible to see NHL players at the WHC. But it's cutting it close, so I doubt we'll see great many. USA and Canada will probably have enough volume put together some kind of squads out of the clubs that dropped out by then, but save for a few names, I expect the European countries' to roll mostly with guys who play in Europe.
Great! I hope we see couple of young players that might deserve it now up there.

QnebO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Uncle Rotter

Look back to 1995, when not a single NHL player was in the WHC.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Den

****, looks like the NHL will **** up Europe once again...

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:31 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Look back to 1995, when not a single NHL player was in the WHC.
But if NHL reg.season ends by end of April, then there is no reason why we wouldn't see few NHL-ers at WC.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
CoolForumNamePending

I think it will depend on two things...

1) As already mentioned direct conflict with or turn around time between the end of the NHL regular season and start of the WC. Per wikipedia the 1995 WC ran from April 23 - May 7 while the NHL regular season didn't end until May 3.

2) If it looks like the NHL is going to go to Sochi I think you will see a lot of guys on the fringes (not locks) of their countries Olympic team playing provided they are available to do so.

Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 01-07-2013 at 05:14 PM.
CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I actually think there will be MORE NHLers at the tournament this year, for two reasons:

1. Some of these guys are going to want to engage in more than 48 games of competative hockey this year.

2. They are aware that they need to do some major damage control with hockey fans, and saying "I would rather spend that time (insert reason here)" is going to come off as pretty selfish at a time where they least want to be viewed as selfish.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Rob

Was anything mentioned about Sochi or is that up in the air?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I actually think there will be MORE NHLers at the tournament this year, for two reasons:

1. Some of these guys are going to want to engage in more than 48 games of competative hockey this year.

2. They are aware that they need to do some major damage control with hockey fans, and saying "I would rather spend that time (insert reason here)" is going to come off as pretty selfish at a time where they least want to be viewed as selfish.
But the rigors of a condensed schedule might turn a lot of those players away.

I imagine the host country players may be more willing though, but it's going to be a harder sell to many of the NHLers. I expect a few college kids for Team USA, and some guys playing in Europe.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:27 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Was anything mentioned about Sochi or is that up in the air?
To be decided later when the NHL and NHLPA can both sit down with the IIHF. But the world that was used was "likely".

Old
01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
But the rigors of a condensed schedule might turn a lot of those players away.

I imagine the host country players may be more willing though, but it's going to be a harder sell to many of the NHLers. I expect a few college kids for Team USA, and some guys playing in Europe.
I think most guys are going to breeze through this 48 game sched like it was nothing, condensed or not. Lots of them are used to long training camps, exhibition games, and playoffs from early Sept. to late June. Guys out of the playoffs this year will be going from Jan to April. That's not much. plus the excuse that they want to spend time with their families will hold zero weight considering that is all most of them have been doing for the past nine months.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
There will probably be a bit less players than previous years, due to the later schedule and the condensed season. They'll have a week or two to rest though, should be enough for most. USA will probably take the biggest hit.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
****, looks like the NHL will **** up Europe once again...
Yes, providing an elite league for Europeans to play in and the opportunity to make much more money than playing at home has really **** up Europe.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:09 AM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Yes, providing an elite league for Europeans to play in and the opportunity to make much more money than playing at home has really **** up Europe.
Well it really doesn't do much for the fans in Europe and not to put words in his mouth but I think that may have been his point.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:55 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
Well it really doesn't do much for the fans in Europe and not to put words in his mouth but I think that may have been his point.
No sense getting worked up over economic realities.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I think most guys are going to breeze through this 48 game sched like it was nothing, condensed or not. Lots of them are used to long training camps, exhibition games, and playoffs from early Sept. to late June. Guys out of the playoffs this year will be going from Jan to April. That's not much. plus the excuse that they want to spend time with their families will hold zero weight considering that is all most of them have been doing for the past nine months.
Weren't there a lot of groin pulls the last time this happened?

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Rocko604

From a Canadian perspective, there should be no problem filling the majority of the roster, assuming players who didn't make the playoffs want to go over. But even if Hockey Canada has to take a few more Euros than they have in the past (don't think they've taken any in recent years), it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. A guy like Kevin Dallman would have no problem with the big ice. Bud Holloway and Stephen Dixon appear to be having good seasons in the SEL and SM-liiga respectively.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:23 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Great! I hope we see couple of young players that might deserve it now up there.
I can definitely see Finland gaining some great long-term benefits from this.

As a single tournament, the result may or may not be anything to remember, but the management may be forced to pick a plenty of players who would otherwise be longshots at best. There will likely be a bust or two, but some will no doubt also end up shining, making them solid picks for future WHCs as well, maybe even for best-on-best.

Last edited by FiLe: 01-11-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
From a Canadian perspective, there should be no problem filling the majority of the roster, assuming players who didn't make the playoffs want to go over. But even if Hockey Canada has to take a few more Euros than they have in the past (don't think they've taken any in recent years), it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. A guy like Kevin Dallman would have no problem with the big ice. Bud Holloway and Stephen Dixon appear to be having good seasons in the SEL and SM-liiga respectively.
Good calls with Holloway and Dixon. Can any posters who follow SEL and or SM-liiga answer the following questions for me:

Is Holloway the catalyst for his line?

Is Dixon still a quality defensive player?

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Yakushev72

I expect that every Russian player who can make it will make it to the WC's, although I'd love to see an all-KHL lineup, just to see how they fare.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Is Dixon still a quality defensive player?
Dixon's role in Ässät has been more offensive than two-way (and it works, he's produced with PPG rate this far), but from what I've seen of him, he's hardly a defensive liability.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:51 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Dixon's role in Ässät has been more offensive than two-way (and it works, he's produced with PPG rate this far), but from what I've seen of him, he's hardly a defensive liability.
Thanks. I watched a lot of Dixon's junior games, enjoyed him at the 2005 WJC, and it would be fun to see him play for Canada at this level. Unless he's taking a roster spot from a potential Olympic player I would like to see him on the Canadian team this spring.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote