HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Training Camp Discussion

Old
01-10-2013, 10:34 AM
LAPPY13

vCash: 500
Martinek will make Islanders no doubt you would also have to think that Snow will sign another D-man like Chris Campoli, Kurtis Foster, Colin White, Kent huskins, Jim Vandermeer, Brett Clark, Randy Jones, or Mark Eaton otherwise Griffin Reinhart will play for the Islanders this season.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Out of curiosity, would Isles fans be interested in Keaton Ellerby at all to help bolster your defense? The deal could wait till after Reinhart gets his 5-6 game tryout too which would help out FL in they need some depth for the first week or 2.

The Panthers just dont have enough space for him in their lineup right now and I think if given more mins, he can start to blossom into a #4 d-man. I figured a guy like him would be what the Isles would want to fit in with everyone else but a more physical presence. What would you be willing to give up for him? I wouldnt mind doing a deal with Ness & maybe a late pick for Ellerby but wasnt sure how close that was in terms of value.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:20 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Out of curiosity, would Isles fans be interested in Keaton Ellerby at all to help bolster your defense? The deal could wait till after Reinhart gets his 5-6 game tryout too which would help out FL in they need some depth for the first week or 2.

The Panthers just dont have enough space for him in their lineup right now and I think if given more mins, he can start to blossom into a #4 d-man. I figured a guy like him would be what the Isles would want to fit in with everyone else but a more physical presence. What would you be willing to give up for him? I wouldnt mind doing a deal with Ness & maybe a late pick for Ellerby but wasnt sure how close that was in terms of value.
I will be surprised if Reinhart gets 5-6 game tryout.
I doubt the isles want another team's 3rd pairing d-man, for their top 4 or a rookie like Renhart/Donovan for the top 4.

I think if Vis is not on the roster, the vet Martinek will take his top 4 role, leaving the Isles with Carkner/Donovan for the 3rd pairing.

I've no idea if Snow would move Ness+ late pick for Ellerby.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Isles Junkie

https://twitter.com/Schultz88/status/289756087513673729

Bailey, Joensuu and Visnovsky only rostered players I haven’t seen at Iceworks yet. 16 on the ice. 14 roster plus Martinek, Strome.

Where's Josh Bailey???

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

Bailey, Joensuu and Visnovsky only rostered players I haven’t seen at Iceworks yet. 16 on the ice. 14 roster plus Martinek, Strome.

Where's Josh Bailey???
On his way home from Germany I suppose.

As bad as this Islanders defense looks without Visnovsky there it simply leaves Garth with no choice but to aquire another defenseman by trade or waivers.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:35 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPY13 View Post
Martinek will make Islanders no doubt you would also have to think that Snow will sign another D-man like Chris Campoli, Kurtis Foster, Colin White, Kent huskins, Jim Vandermeer, Brett Clark, Randy Jones, or Mark Eaton otherwise Griffin Reinhart will play for the Islanders this season.
If Martinek has a guaranteed spot on this team... we are ******.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post

I do that deal and I like ness....

Ellerby is NHL ready and could step in right away I love his size too...

He was a high 1st round pick so I do see FLA giving him up that easy....

FLA defense is

Campbell-Kulikov
Jovinoski-Gudbranson
Kuba-Weaver

Mayby Ellerby does not fit but I dont see why they wouldnt just keep him as a 1st option if somone was injured

Last edited by StrongIslanders90: 01-11-2013 at 10:53 AM.
StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

Where's Josh Bailey???
That means Johnny has Landed!!!!

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Joensuu is at Iceworks just not on the ice.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
BillD

I read some rumor that the Kings have several youngsters to promote on D and are considering waiving Scudari. Rob would be a nice pick up for us for this year. Pricy, but beggars can't be...well, ya know.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I read some rumor that the Kings have several youngsters to promote on D and are considering waiving Scudari. Rob would be a nice pick up for us for this year. Pricy, but beggars can't be...well, ya know.
Scuderi played with Doughty if I remember correctly. I highly doubt they waive him, some team would be willing to give up something for him.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:28 AM
CREW99AW

A Phoenix reporter has tweeted, that the Coyotes are shopping Yandle.

Below's an article about the Carolina Hurricanes, who are looking to move some of their vets to make room for several AHL youngsters.

http://hurricanesbeat.com/profiles/blogs/roster-in-flux
Canes ponder "clean up" trades to make room for Checkers
“We’ve taken a hard look at everything,” Rutherford said. “We’re here to win and there could be some clean-up trades. People always like to look at trades and say who got the best of the trade, well we may make some trades that look funny but they are going to open up a spot for somebody else.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:49 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
A Phoenix reporter has tweeted, that the Coyotes are shopping Yandle.

Below's an article about the Carolina Hurricanes, who are looking to move some of their vets to make room for several AHL youngsters.

http://hurricanesbeat.com/profiles/blogs/roster-in-flux
Canes ponder "clean up" trades to make room for Checkers
“We’ve taken a hard look at everything,” Rutherford said. “We’re here to win and there could be some clean-up trades. People always like to look at trades and say who got the best of the trade, well we may make some trades that look funny but they are going to open up a spot for somebody else.
YAY-ndle!!!

Old
01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

I, like other unnamed Isles' posters, indeed have a man crush on Keith Yandle.

However, I can't see any deal being done that does not involve Strome as the centerpiece.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post

However, I can't see any deal being done that does not involve Strome as the centerpiece.
I miss the early days of Pointblank, when Botta would focus almost solely on the NYI.

We have no credible source for Islander rumors

Old
01-11-2013, 12:29 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:

Nelson and a 1st would get their attention, I'd imagine.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Nelson and a 1st would get their attention, I'd imagine.
I'm not a big fan of trading first round picks, especially when we haven't drafted out of the top ten in five years.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:46 PM
LAPPY13

Quote:
If Martinek has a guaranteed spot on this team... we are ******.
Agree 100 percent with you!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of trading first round picks, especially when we haven't drafted out of the top ten in five years.
True, but...

A) from not drafting outside of the top-10 in years we've amassed a ton of high-end young talent. Definitely enough talent to soften the blow of losing a top prospect and a future 1st rounder(even if it ends up being top-10)

and...

B) the reason we've been drafting so high is because of our inability to bring in established talent, which is what we'd be doing with this trade.

While we would still be a longshot for the Cup or even the division, I think adding a guy like Yandle would go a long way in making this team competitive. Just spitballing here but I'm assuming our blue-line would look like this:

Yandle - Hamonic
Streit - MacDonald
Donovan - Carkner

Those are two solid 1st and 2nd pairings assuming A) Hamonic is 100% healthy this year and B) Streit returns to form or at least something resembling his old form. The bottom-pairing should be fine in limited minutes against lesser skilled lines. If Donovan doesn't work out, dip into the system for someone else.

Either way, I think the offense will be there this year and I think Nabokov will be solid. As long as our defense is serviceable, we should be OK as a whole. Getting Yandle will go a long way towards that.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Either way, I think the offense will be there this year and I think Nabokov will be solid. As long as our defense is serviceable, we should be OK as a whole. Getting Yandle will go a long way towards that.
If you are looking to improve the team defense, is Yandle the right target? He is very good offensively, but I thought he was so-so defensively (haven't seen him much).

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
If you are looking to improve the team defense, is Yandle the right target? He is very good offensively, but I thought he was so-so defensively (haven't seen him much).
The majority of our defensive prospects excluding Donovan are defensive oriented. Our need for offensive defenseman can really escalate in the next two or three years.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

I think If Garth makes a move for a big time defenseman like Yandle, it will be because Streit did not resign. I think he will shop for players like Demers, McBain, and Hjalmarsson. I think this is the better road.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
He had a down year last year defensively, but was still playing at a top-4 level in that regard. Obviously you'd be banking on him returning to his normal level, but even if he meets somewhere in the middle he'd be considered a top-pairing guy.

Above anything else I think we need a guy who can move the puck. We spend way too much time in our own zone. Guys like Yandle will contribute to getting the puck out/starting the rush/keeping the puck in the opposing zone. If paired with Hamonic I expect his defensive game to improve. I think they will compliment eachother's styles extremely well.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I agree. I'm not keen to move a 1st rounder, until we know where the isles will draft.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:58 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I agree. I'm not keen to move a 1st rounder, until we know where the isles will draft.
Meh. Sure, the pick could only end up being 15-20th overall, but by the time we find out it will either not be valuable enough anymore to get a guy like Yandle, or Yandle will have already been traded.

Part of the interest with an Isles first rounder is that most teams will probably expect it to be a very good pick. If the Isles feel like they can compete, especially with a guy like Yandle, they should use that to their advantage.