HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
  #226
Machinehead
Moderator
Keef Yawndole WOAT
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Land of no Defense
Country: United States
Posts: 45,231
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I have to think McD will get less than MDZ, simply because offensive d-men usually get undeservedly higher contracts, than better, more defensive players
True, but I think by the time his contract comes up McDonagh has a 40 point season under his belt.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:58 PM
  #227
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
My guess would be anywhere from 2.5 to 3.2 mill for around 3 or 4 years. I just hope he is in the lineup for the first game, so hopefully this is a quick negotiation.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:01 PM
  #228
Krampus
Call me Nils
 
Krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 19,340
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
True, but I think by the time his contract comes up McDonagh has a 40 point season under his belt.
So... We hope he puts up 35 points next year, signs a beautiful long, cheap deal, and THEN scores 50 points

__________________
Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:56 AM
  #229
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Michael Del Zotto remains unsigned following three days of talks between his camp and management. The defenseman, who has been on the ice for the informal workouts, will not be permitted to participate in camp until he is under contract.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Players ratify CBA by tomorrow morning. Training camp begins on Sunday. Physicals take place and players go on the ice on the same day. Usually that doesn't happen but the teams and players begin playing 6 days later.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:58 AM
  #230
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,488
vCash: 500
McDonagh will get more. He will be a candidate for the Norris this season. Coming off that season going into salary arbitration.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:32 AM
  #231
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,488
vCash: 500
The cap is not decreasing. The cap was $64.3M in 2011-12 which included the $3,716,667 cap hit for Drury. The cap in 2013 is $70.2M which is a transition cap. Subtract $5.6M for Redden. The Rangers cap is $64.6M. Add Drury's buyout of $1,666,667. $62.9M cap for the Rangers. They have room to pay DZ more than what they offered before the lockout thinking Gary would get system changes or thinking the cap would go down. $64.3M for 13-14. Amnesty buyout for Redden. Drury is off the books. The Rangers have $51,241,667 committed for 13-14. $13M in space. Redden will be off the summer cap with the amnesty. The Rangers will have a $70.73M summer cap. The minimum salary is increasing from $525,000 to $550,000 for 13-14. Add $375,000. $925,000 can be assigned to the NHL. Asham has a $1M cap hit. The Rangers can clear $925,000 and take a $75,000 cap hit on Asham for 13-14. The Rangers roster for 13-14 has to be in compliance by October 2013. The cap for 14-15 can not drop below $64.3M.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:52 AM
  #232
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Players ratify CBA by tomorrow morning. Training camp begins on Sunday. Physicals take place and players go on the ice on the same day. Usually that doesn't happen but the teams and players begin playing 6 days later.
Well of course he remains unsigned, it's impossible for Sather to sign him until Saturday at the earliest

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:48 AM
  #233
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I have to think McD will get less than MDZ, simply because offensive d-men usually get undeservedly higher contracts, than better, more defensive players
Won't happen. McD will absolutely get more. McD will likely get a longer term contract, which will drive the average up. McD is also arbitration eligible. MDZ is not. Can you see any arbitrator giving McD less than 4 mil on a 1 or 2 year deal?

McD is much more proven than MDZ is. If McD has another good year, Sather will have to give him term. MDZ will come in at under 3 mil per year. If McD is signed for anything under 4 mil per year, that will be a huge win for Sather.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:37 AM
  #234
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
I agree with a lot of what Fitzy said. If McDonagh got to play in Del Zotto's spot on the PP, we'd likely have a 45-50 point defenseman on our hands.

If we can get something like Yakupov for MDZ+, it's not even a question imo.

Give McDonagh Del Zotto's time on the PP and he's in the same conversation as Pietrangelo imo. They scored pretty much at the same rate on the PP despite McDonagh playing on the second unit.

Edit: But sign Mcdonagh long term for under 5 mil first. Then give him PP time

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
  #235
steviek3b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
The Rangers problem, and it is a good problem to have, is that they currently have 3 very good left handed defensemen. McDonagh, Staal, Del Zotto, in that order.

The right side is weaker, with Girardi being the best player and then 4 guys (Stralman, Eminger, Sauer and Bickel).

If the Rangers have Staal making $4 million, then add in McDonagh who will probably get anywhere between $3 and $5 million (let's just say $4) and then Del Zotto, who will want $3 million, that is about $11 million just on the left side of your defense.

Should the Rangers be giving Del Zotto $3 million to be the 3rd best left handed defenseman on this team? Sure, he plays the power play, but as others have said, it is very possible he is just a product of the system and if others (McDonagh) received his 1st PP line minutes, they could do the same thing.

If Del Zotto were a right handed defenseman and could slot in on the 2nd pairing behind Girardi, then this is a no brainer. However, he is left handed and is IMO the 3rd best left handed defenseman on this team. You can't pay a 3rd pairing defenseman that kind of money.

steviek3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
  #236
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,876
vCash: 500
Just because MDZ is left handed, doesn't mean he can't play the right side. Most teams have more left handed dmen than right. One of MDZ, Staal or McD will have to learn to play the right side.

MDZ was a capable top 4 defender last year (though he struggled a bit at the end), and he will only get better. Maybe McD could put up the same numbers with the same PP time, but McD already plays a ton of time at even strength and on the PK. And it's premature to say that MDZ was a product of the team. It's not like our PP was good last year. Of his 41 points, only 14 came on the PP. McD had more points at even strength, but he also played over 4 minutes more per game at even strength, so it cuts both ways.

Concerning a MDZ+ for Yakupov trade, I think it's a non-starter. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Yakupov. But we can't afford to trade a top 4 dman. We were thin on defense last year, with everyone healthy, and we haven't added any dmen of significance. Remove MDZ and Stralman will be in our top 4. Add an injury to McD, Girardi or Staal and one of Eminger/Bickel/Gilroy will be in our top 4.

We need to add a top 4 defender, not subtract one. Hopefully we can grab one at the trade deadline.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
  #237
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Seems like if u wanna keep all of McD Giriardi and Staal, you either have to get del Zotto for 2 mil or let him walk.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
  #238
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Just because MDZ is left handed, doesn't mean he can't play the right side. Most teams have more left handed dmen than right. One of MDZ, Staal or McD will have to learn to play the right side.

MDZ was a capable top 4 defender last year (though he struggled a bit at the end), and he will only get better. Maybe McD could put up the same numbers with the same PP time, but McD already plays a ton of time at even strength and on the PK. And it's premature to say that MDZ was a product of the team. It's not like our PP was good last year. Of his 41 points, only 14 came on the PP. McD had more points at even strength, but he also played over 4 minutes more per game at even strength, so it cuts both ways.

Concerning a MDZ+ for Yakupov trade, I think it's a non-starter. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Yakupov. But we can't afford to trade a top 4 dman. We were thin on defense last year, with everyone healthy, and we haven't added any dmen of significance. Remove MDZ and Stralman will be in our top 4. Add an injury to McD, Girardi or Staal and one of Eminger/Bickel/Gilroy will be in our top 4.

We need to add a top 4 defender, not subtract one. Hopefully we can grab one at the trade deadline.
Obviously McD played a ton ES, but he was top ten in ES points for d-men and still high up there in ESP/60. It's not like he was drafted to be a defensive defenseman. He was expected to be offensive.


And I can't imagine us adding another top 4 defenseman. Ideally you'd like to have 6 top 4 defenseman, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having Stralman on the bottom pairing at all. I particularly remember our offense being super dynamic whenever the Del Zotto-Stralman pairing was on and the play was often in the offensive zone.

Then we played Pittsburgh and both of them chipped in and Malkin got a breakaway and that was the end of that pairing

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:16 AM
  #239
steviek3b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Just because MDZ is left handed, doesn't mean he can't play the right side. Most teams have more left handed dmen than right. One of MDZ, Staal or McD will have to learn to play the right side.
I understand that a guy can play either side, but it is just better for a defenseman to play on their natural side.

Also, I would feel a lot more comfortable with 2 solid LH defensemen and 2 sold RH defensemen, than with 3 LH and 1 RH, which we currently have.

steviek3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:39 AM
  #240
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
And I can't imagine us adding another top 4 defenseman. Ideally you'd like to have 6 top 4 defenseman, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having Stralman on the bottom pairing at all. I particularly remember our offense being super dynamic whenever the Del Zotto-Stralman pairing was on and the play was often in the offensive zone.
If you look at the playoffs last year, our top 4 got a ton of ice time. MDZ was 4th with 21:39 per game and Stralman was 5th with 16:55 per game. Both Bickel and Eminger averaged under 7 minutes per game in the games they played.

And that's with no injuries. There was even a thread created, "what if Sauer had been healthy". We just didn't have enough defensive depth.

I have no problem with Stralman on the bottom pairing. But I do have a problem with relying on him in a top 4 role if there are injuries. There should be plenty of rentals available at the trade deadline. Buffalo has a bunch that will be UFA next year. If they don't make the playoffs again, I'm sure they'd be willing to deal. I wouldn't mind grabbing Rehger. Edmonton has a few too. Streit might be available, though I doubt the isles would trade with us.

Unless Sauer magically returns to full health and is able to play for us this year, we are going to need another dman at some point.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
  #241
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If you look at the playoffs last year, our top 4 got a ton of ice time. MDZ was 4th with 21:39 per game and Stralman was 5th with 16:55 per game. Both Bickel and Eminger averaged under 7 minutes per game in the games they played.

And that's with no injuries. There was even a thread created, "what if Sauer had been healthy". We just didn't have enough defensive depth.

I have no problem with Stralman on the bottom pairing. But I do have a problem with relying on him in a top 4 role if there are injuries. There should be plenty of rentals available at the trade deadline. Buffalo has a bunch that will be UFA next year. If they don't make the playoffs again, I'm sure they'd be willing to deal. I wouldn't mind grabbing Rehger. Edmonton has a few too. Streit might be available, though I doubt the isles would trade with us.

Unless Sauer magically returns to full health and is able to play for us this year, we are going to need another dman at some point.
How many teams dont worry about their #5 defenseman playing a top 4 role?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:12 AM
  #242
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
How many teams dont worry about their #5 defenseman playing a top 4 role?
The Rangers have the cap space and the resources to acquire another solid top-6 or possibly top-4 d-man prior to the season starting. They didn't at last year deadline and IMO that cost them a chance at The Cup. Bickel and Eminger are not solid contributors to a NHL line-up every night playing 7-10 minutes.

Assume their will be at least 1 injury to a defenseman this season. They need to add someone IMO.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
  #243
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,445
vCash: 500
Del Zotto is still unproven as an NHL regular. I say that with a ton of respect for how he came back last year. Having said that, the fact remains that the solid play he demonstrated last year is what should be expected all the time. Put his rookie year aside. He's shown one lousy and one solid year. So, no leverage imo. You still have something to prove youngster. Go out do that for a couple more seasons. Then come back and get paid. By not signing, you further display your immaturity. We had another player do that recently. I loved that guy, but he's no longer a New York Ranger. It did not end well for him. Learn from that Dizzy.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  #244
Machinehead
Moderator
Keef Yawndole WOAT
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Land of no Defense
Country: United States
Posts: 45,231
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
So... We hope he puts up 35 points next year, signs a beautiful long, cheap deal, and THEN scores 50 points
Depends. If we win the Cup in 2013 everyone can suck all they want after that. At least for a year.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  #245
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Del Zotto is still unproven as an NHL regular. I say that with a ton of respect for how he came back last year. Having said that, the fact remains that the solid play he demonstrated last year is what should be expected all the time. Put his rookie year aside. He's shown one lousy and one solid year. So, no leverage imo. You still have something to prove youngster. Go out do that for a couple more seasons. Then come back and get paid. By not signing, you further display your immaturity. We had another player do that recently. I loved that guy, but he's no longer a New York Ranger. It did not end well for him. Learn from that Dizzy.
Great points. Hadn't thought about the Dubi comparison but there it is.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
  #246
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,009
vCash: 500
I thought MDZ for the most part really struggled on the right side of the ice last season. He would drift into the middle and leave the opposition winger far to much space. He'd then get spun around trying to compensate but without a good play on the puck available.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:02 PM
  #247
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,488
vCash: 500
Immaturity? Its a business. The same argument was made with the lockout. The players should accept what the owners are offering because they are all immature and spoiled players. They don't care about the game since they won't accept less or offer to take less. Anaheim gave Cam Fowler $20M over 5 years. What has he proven? The Rangers need DZ in the line-up from day 1. 3 years(including this season)takes to him to 1 year before group III(IF he plays 40 accrued games in the next 3 seasons/that number will be less this season with the 48 game season)or 2 years before group III at 27. In 3 years,DZ will be arbitration eligible.

2010-20-1st
2011-21-2nd
2012-22-3rd
2013-23-4th
2014-24-5th
2015-25-6th
2016-26-7th
2017-27

7 or 27

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:11 PM
  #248
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 13,159
vCash: 500
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Quote:
But as far as what numbers are being bandied about, Del Zotto had nothing to disclose.

“I have to be honest, I don’t know,” Del Zotto said. “I just want something sooner or later. I don’t have any numbers for you guys.”
Either he's lying or he's really being foolish. I would never trust an agent to negotiate a deal without knowing on an hourly basis what the numbers are. The agent is going to use the holdout as a negotiating tactic, as they always do - but if your DZ and you really want to be in camp you can put a stop to that and not necessarily take a hit on the the deal.

But who knows, if I was in the situation and it was a matter of getting an extra 500K or more a year by letting an agent handle it (to a certain extent)... who am I to criticize. I would definitely want to know all the options and the full breadth of the negotiations if I were him though, but sometimes it doesnt seem that way with some players.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
  #249
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,676
vCash: 500
Wouldn't it really be best for the Rangers to sign him to a 3 year deal? 2 years and he comes up due for a new contact at the same time as Lundqvist, Callahan, etc

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:30 PM
  #250
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bialystok, Poland
Country: Iceland
Posts: 6,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Wouldn't it really be best for the Rangers to sign him to a 3 year deal? 2 years and he comes up due for a new contact at the same time as Lundqvist, Callahan, etc
It might be
On the other hand - the real problem will be next year IMO.
Trying to keep core intact & resigning the 3 key RFAs in McD, Stepan & Hagelin. This is going to cost upwards to close to $9M in annual space.
A lot of things therefore tell me a 2 year deal is what it is going to be
Time will tell, very shortly

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.