HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles/Bolts Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 02:00 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed
That's EXACTLY what I'm saying - money would be THE motivating issue here as it pertains to Milbury making a trade sooner than later.

I have a hard time believing that one good period against Tampa Bay on Tuesday night was enough to completely change Milbury's mindset. If the Isles remain in a blue funk, I can imagine MM won't wait for the trade deadline to decide his team's direction for the season.

And then the underacheiving overpaid players WILL be looked at by a GM trying to save his skin. And that is the exact atmosphere of pressure in which Milbury will panic. We've seen it before.

isles are 2-0-0-1 in their last 3 and look to be coming out of their blue funk.

and as much as it galls nyi fans,every report from NY says MM's job is not in jeopardy.So your MM will make trades to save his job scenerio doesn't hold up.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I could see a Hamrlik for Svitov type deal going down at the deadline, if NYI is headed nowhere.

The idea that NYI is going to panic and purge its roster in mid-December when it is but a few points out of a playoff spot, and its best players are yet to perform to their capabilities, is a stretch.

Some HF posters like to panic when it comes to making trades. ("We lost two in a row! Time to clean house! :p ) Unless ordered by Wang to make substantial cut$ in payroll now, Mibury won't.

Love him or hate him, there is no denying that lack of patience has not been a trait of his under the new ownership regime, certainly not to the extent it was prior and certainly not since the summer of 2001.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I could see a Hamrlik for Svitov type deal going down at the deadline, if NYI is headed nowhere.

The idea that NYI is going to panic and purge its roster in mid-December when it is but a few points out of a playoff spot, and its best players are yet to perform to their capabilities, is a stretch.

Some HF posters like to panic when it comes to making trades. ("We lost two in a row! Time to clean house! :p ) Unless ordered by Wang to make substantial cut$ in payroll now, Mibury won't.

Love him or hate him, there is no denying that lack of patience has not been a trait of his under the new ownership regime, certainly not to the extent it was prior and certainly not since the summer of 2001.
You don't think the Mezei for Wiemer deal, and Torres of Janne N. deals showed lack of patience? Those deals were typical of HIS impulsiveness and his complete lack of willingness to actually let a youngster develop.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
You don't think the Mezei for Wiemer deal, and Torres of Janne N. deals showed lack of patience? Those deals were typical of HIS impulsiveness and his complete lack of willingness to actually let a youngster develop.
Since you asked, no.

Weimer was acquired because he provided an element that Milbury felt was missing (an opinion which you have advocated): grit and size up front. Mezei was not going to provide that element. Did he overpay? Quite possibly, but the verdict is far from in. Until Mezei becomes a consistent, contributing element to a winning Panthers team (a very possible scenario), I'll reserve judgment. To be sure, Milbury's subsequent waiving of Wiemer weakens his case terribly in this one.

...Which ties directly to Torres. Maybe some would have preferred Martinek or Mezei as one of the Isles top 4 dmen today. Judgment call. I still would prefer Janne, as underwhelming as he has been to date, eight days a week. You do not get an established, still young(er) Dman for peanuts. Questioning the rationale behind that move would be blatant second-guessing on my part.

Point is this: I don't measure patience solely by the number of kids a GM moves. That is, if tomorrow Milbury trades Peca, Parrish and Hamrlik for a group of prospects, is that "exhibiting patience"? (rhetorical question)

He has not rushed out and made a lot of deals, period, over the last 30+ months. The roster, for the most part, for better and worse, has been stable. That was not the case in the dark(est) years. And that is what I meant by "patience".

Last edited by Trottier: 12-11-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old
12-11-2003, 04:07 PM
IslesFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
It definately shows lack of patience. If he had been patient, Torres could have done what Wiemer did last year. Provide a tough forecheck and open up ice for his teammates while chipping in a few goals.

Mezei could have been their 4th d-man if they let him develop. He's just what they need, a huge, physical, stay-at-home defenseman.

Milbury has done this his whole career as gm and it's sickening. He has cost this team big time with not only lack of patience, but lack of common sense. :mad:

Old
12-11-2003, 09:18 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
And if age is a factor - as in, a 29 y/o all-star defenseman is a liability - than that says that the Lightning (or at least one of their fans) doesn;t think they can or should make a serious push to come out of the conference this season. That's sad.
I realize this is a bit late, but just to clarify:

I was speaking more to Sarich's age than Hamrlik's. At 25, Sarich is already playing rock-solid defense on Tampa's top pair and STILL isn't all that close to his developmental ceiling, especially as a two-way force, which he has the tools to become. All this at the bargain basement price of $1.1 million. In other words, Sarich is EXACTLY the kind of player the Lightning covets, so the chances of them trading him away are somewhere in the vicinity of nil.

Old
12-12-2003, 06:39 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
I realize this is a bit late, but just to clarify:

I was speaking more to Sarich's age than Hamrlik's. At 25, Sarich is already playing rock-solid defense on Tampa's top pair and STILL isn't all that close to his developmental ceiling, especially as a two-way force, which he has the tools to become. All this at the bargain basement price of $1.1 million. In other words, Sarich is EXACTLY the kind of player the Lightning covets, so the chances of them trading him away are somewhere in the vicinity of nil.

As I've said before, Joe, I find this to be a very reasonable argument. But, thanks for clarifying the issue further!

Good post.

Closed Thread