HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opening night lineup

Old
01-11-2013, 04:36 AM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I still dont get all the hand wringing and poor mouthing about our lineup. with the exception of Suter this is the exact lineup that was one of the best in the west last year.

If Chicago lost Seabrook, they would be a little worse, but you wouldnt say they suddenly suck and are terrible...

The fact is, whenever you lose a player, you dont lose 100% of their value to the team. Suter isnt being replaced by a cardboard cutout. Josi isnt Suter but he's not chopped liver either....

If we can stay away from the "I" bug, we should be one of the top 6 teams in the West... the problem of course is we could be top 6 in the West and still be 4th in the Central...

I agree we are not significantly worse. He, whose name we will not mention, did not have a good season for us. I think we will make the playoffs, but a few things worry me. IMO the schedule will not help us because we play in the toughest division in the west, so points will be at a premium. We will not be able to rack up points against other divisions and the eastern conference. Two, we have been a streaky team (although probably all teams are streaky), and a 10 game losing (under performing) streak could be disastrous especially if it involves the central division. We can not afford a slow start. Lastly, short season maybe fewer injuries. However, if we loose a few key players for 5 to 10 games, it will be hard to overcome.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

vCash: 500
"with the exception of Suter."

With the exception of his vast fortunes, I'm practically as rich as Bill Gates.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:37 AM
MrJoshua

That's really the big question - how well that Suter-shaped hole in the lineup gets filled. There are some smaller questions around how well the kids can keep improving, but that gap on the defense is the big one.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Shea Weber

I don't get all the hate/pessimism about the lines either. The forwards are the same they were all season +Goose and - 22. We were 4th in points in the West before we had AK and Rads. Yes, Rads led the team in points in the playoffs...but I thought he was pretty terrible 95% of the time. Always trying to do everything by himself. Does not fit what Trotz wants.

Of course losing Suter will be a transition, hopefully Josi can step up. I thought he looked really good last year. Kid's got skills and I'm not assuming he can't do good work like some.

Smith, Wilson, Josi, Ellis, Spals, Hali all with another year of NHL experience.

This is a solid team, imo. If Smith and Wilson play with confidence and 'breakout' this could be a top team in the West.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:07 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
I think it's going to be a break-out year for Halishuk, look at his stats compared to his icetime.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:44 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think it's going to be a break-out year for Halishuk, look at his stats compared to his icetime.
For some reason, Trotz doesn't seem to love him. Icetime is always low, and was even an occasional scratch when McGrattan had to get in.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:46 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
"with the exception of Suter."

With the exception of his vast fortunes, I'm practically as rich as Bill Gates.
Invalid simile.

Better would be saying you used to have gates money now you only have mark zuckerberg money. . No longer the richest man in the worl but still pretty good.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If Halischuk, Wilson, Smith, or Bourque is ever scratched for McG or Yip, I'm getting my pitchfork ready.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:01 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Invalid simile.

Better would be saying you used to have gates money now you only have mark zuckerberg money. . No longer the richest man in the worl but still pretty good.
I don't agree that we're still "Zuckerberg" rich. It's more like "we were Bill Gates rich, now we're Billy Ray Cyrus rich."

Old
01-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I would still like to see SK/Smith/Hornqvist play together for a few games at some point. SK passes all day, Smith shoots half the pucks he touches, Hornqvist can whack at Smith's rebounds. In lieu of that, I like tserberis' lineup.

Wish the Hornqvist / Fisher / SK74 line still had the magic from late in the 2010/11 campaign when they were killing it.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:51 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

With Bourque's emergence (and eventual return from injury), I could see NSH trading a top six winger (a relative position of strength) to a team with a top four d-man to spare. Example:

Martin Erat for SJS's Douglas Murray (LHS, 18:22/GP, '13 UFA) + conditional draft pick

Josi-Weber
Murray-Klein
Gill-Ellis
Hannan, Blum

01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
With Bourque's emergence (and eventual return from injury), I could see NSH trading a top six winger (a relative position of strength) to a team with a top four d-man to spare. Example:

Martin Erat for SJS's Douglas Murray (LHS, 18:22/GP, '13 UFA) + conditional draft pick

Josi-Weber
Murray-Klein
Gill-Ellis
Hannan, Blum
That would be a terrible deal for Nashville. Erat is our best forward overall, and Murray is a *decent* second pairing defenseman.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

It's too soon to ship off a top six forward, especially our best forward (I know it's an example), and expect Bourque to take over that role. I'm a big fan of his, but Gabriel needs more than just 19 points in 43 NHL games to prove he can be a consistent contributor.

Besides, Erat has a NMC.

01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Also, isn't it just as likely that Blum turns it around to become a solid #4 guy again? I mean, if we're having to rely on potential in Bourque while shipping off a proven top six guy for a decent second pairing defenseman, it seems to me that it makes more sense to simply rely on the potential of Blum.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:02 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

I like Blum. I hope he does get back on the preferred developmental track. As for Bourque, I was thinking the third line with Hornqvist moving up in the projected depth chart.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

Josi-Weber
Murray-Klein
Gill-Ellis
Hannan, Blum
Hell no! Erat is our best winger.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Quote:
I like Blum. I hope he does get back on the preferred developmental track. As for Bourque, I was thinking the third line with Hornqvist moving up in the projected depth chart.
I would still rather hope Blum bounces back or go with what we have. I'd also rather have Hornqvist on the third line. Maybe that's just me.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:25 PM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:

Josi-Weber
Murray-Klein
Gill-Ellis
Hannan, Blum
Erat has a no trade, is on an expiring contract that pays him significantly less cash than his cap hit(a plus for us) and is our leading scorer... no chance of that happening

and let it be recorded in the archives that this is the fist time in history that someone has described our top six forwards as 'a relative position of strength'

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:44 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

NDJ d-man Henrik Tallinder (LHS, 21:18/GP, '14 UFA) may also become available on Saturday. I believe the Devils would also be in the market for a winger.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:48 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
NDJ d-man Henrik Tallinder (LHS, 21:18/GP, '14 UFA) may also become available on Saturday. I believe the Devils would also be in the market for a winger.
Honestly, if that's the level of d-man the Preds are going to pick up, I think most of us would rather take our chances with Blum and go with what we have. Tallinder isn't really any better than Gill or Hannan.

We have room in the budget for someone a bit more expensive\quality, so I think that's the route Poile will go--or he'll just stick to what we have. We need a difference-making defenseman, and there are a few rumored to be available.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
deanwormer

Goalies - PEKs hasn't reached his peak and if he has he's got a few good years left. Mason - I wouldn't want him as a started but playing 6-8 games we'll get enough from him.

Forwards - Unless Leggy or Fish got old, we have guys like Horny in their prime and a bunch of kids like Willie who should be better. Gausted for Smitty, Yip for Toots. You can't say you liked our scoring last year and say we're gonna' suck this. (and even if you didn't like our scoring we were statistically pretty effective....)

Dmen - well, I think we lost a key cog... yep, I see Frankie is in Montreal! Oh, and that Suter guy is gone, too, and we didn't sign any first pairing guy.... However, if we could all agree Hal is an upgrade to Frankie????? yes - good. So Webs, KK, Josi and Ellis are back/here for whole season. Blum tanked last year and he's back too. Now - those 5 guys - anyone think ANY of them will be better than last year? How bout MOST of them? Plus we got Hannan. So none of those other dudes are gonna' play Sutes 24mins, but they should be able to all play a few more than last year and play a little better than last year, too.

Sure, it would be nice to have Sutes and all those guys improvement, except that we'd not have at least one of them and without the opportunity for more ice time and a bigger role, those improvements would be less impactful. Point - we didn't lose 100% of Sutes contribution to the whole, we will get some of it from the improvement of the others and their increased ice time. and yes, some downside risk to that cause they aren't $110mil men with Olympic silvers and coming off their first AS game and they might make a few more mistakes than that guy - but they aren't chopped liver, either.

So - if you thought we under-achieved last year, or you thought we had a nice season and solidly made the playoffs - heck, if anything other than you thought we were incredibly lucky and a buncha' teams laid-an-egg so we could sneak in, how bad can ya' feel about this bunch?

Oh - and that no-neck guy, he's a magician behind the bench....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
NJ fans would not nearly Erat for Tallinder. IIRC, they said on the trade boards they would take a 2nd.

The last thing our team needs to do is trade away the closest thing we have to a 1st line talent for a 2nd pairing D, when in 2 years at most we will have guys ready to fill that spot. If we end up having too many top 6 wingers (we wont), then perfect. That's called "depth".

I'm not opposed to getting Tallinder or Murray at all. I'm opposed to trading Erat.

Oh, and especially if we could get him to sign here, I would do Wilson+Watson+1st for Kessel. Phil "The Thrill" just turned 25 btw.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:

Josi-Weber
Murray-Klein
Gill-Ellis
Hannan, Blum
Erat will never be traded by Poile for any player. A few years down the road after we've absorbed the signing bonus impact fully, I honestly think Poile would move Weber before Erat. Martin is such a culturally perfect fit for this team and has to be one the most consistent 50+ point players in the NHL at his cost bracket.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
preds1
Weber's Bomb

vCash: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'd also rather have Hornqvist on the third line. Maybe that's just me.
It's not. I would agree.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Hornqvist Bourque and Spaling make up a perfect third line IMHO. They're gritty fast and pests with some scoring punch. I say leave them be.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote