HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

How the Islanders leave Nassau early

Old
01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
they are not moving across town

they are moving to Brooklyn, which is a whole other world

they wont be called the New York Islanders in 10 years

Our logo will completely change

I guess that is ok with some

Those Stanley Cup Banners and Retired Jersey numbers will look like another teams Banners hanging in the rafters at Barclays
Why would they change the logo and the name of the team AFTER they'll be in their new locale for 10 years? If they were going to do any of that, it would be done right when the team moves so they can start with a clean slate and do all the necessary work to rebrand the franchise. This line of thinking makes zero sense.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Umm, a bit of a contradiction there.
Yeah, the posts are getting ridiculous and I smell ********.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Why would they change the logo and the name of the team AFTER they'll be in their new locale for 10 years? If they were going to do any of that, it would be done right when the team moves so they can start with a clean slate and do all the necessary work to rebrand the franchise. This line of thinking makes zero sense.
Dude... has ANYTHING this guy said made any sense?

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Dude... has ANYTHING this guy said made any sense?
Well, at first I chalked it up to him still being upset with the move, which I personally don't get, but can somewhat understand. But yeah, the posts have become increasingly more bizarre and baiting, so I think we're being ****ed with here.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Oh come on with the waiting thing. The guy worked for over 10 years to get something done on LI and he met resistance every step of the way. Nassau and TOH wanted no part of the team anymore. It was obvious in everything they did. It's time to move on. You've got at least 24 games to savor the flavor. Grow a 'stache and you can savor the flavor even longer!
well I don't consider this season to be a real season, this is 1 long exhibition year if you ask me

and as for Wang

the lease was over at 2014-15, there was no reason to get the Brooklyn thing done in 2012 unless Wang just wanted to sell the team to make some money

I could understand if it was 2014 and there were no buyers for the Islanders, and the "Revamped Coliseum/New Arena" was still a dead Issue

But Barclays was not going anywhere, and could always have been a "last resort"

Wang just wants to sell the team and make his money

I was always a defender of Wang, as I knew the Isles were in bad shape long before he bought the team

But he could have explored options to keep OUR team on Long Island

But he decided to move them, and I am sure make his money in the future

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
MTK

Quote:
Do I have to bring my passport when I go?

I know there is a stop in Jamaica.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

I for one still like the Coliseum. Call me whatever you want. If the old dump had mass transit and a few more luxury boxes there would be no reason to move.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
well I don't consider this season to be a real season, this is 1 long exhibition year if you ask meand as for Wang

the lease was over at 2014-15, there was no reason to get the Brooklyn thing done in 2012 unless Wang just wanted to sell the team to make some money

I could understand if it was 2014 and there were no buyers for the Islanders, and the "Revamped Coliseum/New Arena" was still a dead Issue

But Barclays was not going anywhere, and could always have been a "last resort"

Wang just wants to sell the team and make his money

I was always a defender of Wang, as I knew the Isles were in bad shape long before he bought the team

But he could have explored options to keep OUR team on Long Island

But he decided to move them, and I am sure make his money in the future
Tell that to the team who wins the Cup this year and see what they say.

Look man, they're still OUR team. But if you don't feel that way anymore, you might want to just cut ties and ease your pain. I mean that seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:22 PM
lost35*

Quote:
well I said in 10 years, meaning within

They will be the New York Islanders with the logo we have known for the last 40 years, (outside of the fisherman era) for the first couple of years in Brooklyn

Then they will see the Isles arent catching on with Brooklyn, and if attendance is not good and there is no Buzz in Brooklyn with the Islanders, you better believe they are going to be called the Brooklyn Islanders or change the logo completely

Why would Brooklyn want a logo of Long Island on their Jerseys?

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Do I have to bring my passport when I go?

I know there is a stop in Jamaica.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
I for one still like the Coliseum. Call me whatever you want. If the old dump had mass transit and a few more luxury boxes there would be no reason to move.
I mean, yeah it would've been nice if things worked out that way. Despite living in Brooklyn, I was hoping for a solution in Nassau. But how much longer were the fans and the owner supposed to wait for an answer? It wasn't going to get done even if Wang did wait another year or two to move the team. At least now they have plenty of time to prepare for the move.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Strummergas

Quote:

They will be the New York Islanders with the logo we have known for the last 40 years, (outside of the fisherman era) for the first couple of years in Brooklyn

Then they will see the Isles arent catching on with Brooklyn, and if attendance is not good and there is no Buzz in Brooklyn with the Islanders, you better believe they are going to be called the Brooklyn Islanders or change the logo completely

Alright man, whatever. See you at the Coliseum for the last "exhibition" game played at NVMC.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
I still love the Coliseum as well, but Wang's presumably not spending any money until they're moving to Brooklyn. For that reason alone, I hope they move next year.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:

And if the logo does change....

SO WHAT?!

This team has done nothing but LOSE for 20 years now and I for one am sick of it. I just want to win. That's ALL I care about. Do I want the name to change? Of course not. But a logo/uniform change? That isn't exactly old news with this team as we have had about 8 different uniforms (when you include third jerseys) in the past 15 years. Not exactly Earth shattering.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Quickdraw2828

Quote:
who the hell wants them to leave early

lets savor our final 2 years in the building we have known for the last 40 years, where the last pro sports team won 4 straight championships

how can a "real" Isles fan want them to leave early
I have been to games in the new and old buildings in Boston, Chicago, Montreal, and Toronto. The new buildings may be spiffier, but the high ceilings really cut down on the crowd noise. If the Islanders would give the fans something to cheer about, Nassau would be, by far, the loudest arena in the league. Remember the Isles/Rangers playoff series. Electrifying atmosphere! Once the Isles move to Brooklyn, that atmosphere will never exist again.

The old buildings rocked like a mother******!

Quickdraw2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw2828 View Post
I have been to games in the new and old buildings in Boston, Chicago, Montreal, and Toronto. The new buildings may be spiffier, but the high ceilings really cut down on the crowd noise. If the Islanders would give the fans something to cheer about, Nassau would be, by far, the loudest arena in the league. Remember the Isles/Rangers playoff series. Electrifying atmosphere! Once the Isles move to Brooklyn, that atmosphere will never exist again.

They do, but sadly, nothing lasts forever. Even if they stayed in Nassau and wound up in a new building there, that electrifying atmosphere would be gone there too. However, from what I've heard about Barclays, it doesn't have those high ceilings like a lot of other new arenas do. So, maybe there's a possibility that it will be louder than some of its contemporaries?

Look, if the Yankees can move into a new stadium and "dispose" of all the memories built in the old Yankee Stadium, then so can any team in any sport (and I say this as a Mets fan).

Old
01-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
And if the logo does change....

SO WHAT?!

This team has done nothing but LOSE for 20 years now and I for one am sick of it. I just want to win. That's ALL I care about. Do I want the name to change? Of course not. But a logo/uniform change? That isn't exactly old news with this team as we have had about 8 different uniforms (when you include third jerseys) in the past 15 years. Not exactly Earth shattering.
I mean, they couldn't, like, just add Queens and Brooklyn to the existing logo, could they?

Old
01-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
I mean, they couldn't, like, just add Queens and Brooklyn to the existing logo, could they?
BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Old
01-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw2828 View Post

I've been to the Barclay's three times this year for Nets games and I can confidently say you are wrong. I base my opinion off one thing... The building is small. Instead of being large and sprawling, the seating at Barclay's is extremely compact. Sure it goes up pretty high but it is EXTREMELY steep. I've been to the new buildings in Philly, Jersey, Columbus, etc. All huge buildings with seating spread out both high and wide. Barclay's isn't like that. There is nowhere for the noise to go. I predict it's going to be the second loudest building in the league behind only MTS Centre in Winnipeg... assuming of course our fans make themselves heard.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:08 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
I agree, I understand the point of moving sooner ot make money that MAY be put into the on ice product, but we wont know that tilll it happens. It wont be the same, so I'm in no hurry.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:

Brooklyn is on long island

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:52 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I've been to the Barclay's three times this year for Nets games and I can confidently say you are wrong. I base my opinion off one thing... The building is small. Instead of being large and sprawling, the seating at Barclay's is extremely compact. Sure it goes up pretty high but it is EXTREMELY steep. I've been to the new buildings in Philly, Jersey, Columbus, etc. All huge buildings with seating spread out both high and wide. Barclay's isn't like that. There is nowhere for the noise to go. I predict it's going to be the second loudest building in the league behind only MTS Centre in Winnipeg... assuming of course our fans make themselves heard.
this went twice and it was loud at the knicks nets game....Also you feel like you are right on top of the action its very steep...

My only complaint was the lighting, it was a bit wierd not eeing the crowd on the opposite side but I guess that means you could concentrate more on the action....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
this went twice and it was loud at the knicks nets game....Also you feel like you are right on top of the action its very steep...

My only complaint was the lighting, it was a bit wierd not eeing the crowd on the opposite side but I guess that means you could concentrate more on the action....
It is EXTREMELY dark in that building. But think about it... the lighting HAS to be changed for hockey. Basically the only thing lit up is the court. The rink is going to be substantially bigger so the lighting will certainly have to be changed. Hopefully they do brighten it up a bit for hockey all around the seating bowl and not just where the ice will be.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
they are not moving across town

they wont be called the New York Islanders in 10 years

Our logo will completely change

I guess that is ok with some

Those Stanley Cup Banners and Retired Jersey numbers will look like another teams Banners hanging in the rafters at Barclays

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
CodeE

It's pretty ignorant to have a viewpoint of "they should have never left Long Island!"

I've been an Islander fans since I was a kid, followed the team no matter how terribly they did. They gave Nassau County opportunity after opportunity, but were shot down every single time. The move to Brooklyn is a godsend, because options at that point were very limited and if Brooklyn became out of the question, a move to Quebec or KC seemed very, very likely.

Anybody who has followed the team for many years and understands the complexity of how hard Nassau County fought to stop Wang from developing the Coliseum would know he took the best option. If he sells, he sells. At least the team is remaining close by.

Wanting the Islanders to remain in Nassau County in a brand new state-of-the-art arena is like wanting the Islanders to get Steven Stamkos. They're nice to fantasize about, but when you come back down to reality you realize neither situation is very likely.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote