HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What Do Rangers Do With Wade Redden?

Old
01-11-2013, 09:54 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Did you guys read what the NHL and PA agreed on? Minimum salary plus $375K. Anything above that counts against the cap. Minimum salary is $525K. So its $900K. In 13-14,minimum increases to $550,000. It will be $925K for 13-14. The Rangers will take a $5.6M cap hit for Redden this season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
From my understanding the first 900k(or at least whatever that is prorated from 82 to 48 games) of his caphit won't count if they send him to the minors
Yes that's correct, I didn't mean they couldn't send him down but rather his cap hit will remain with the big club, less the 900k, should they send him down. Regardless, that's a large chunk of change they won't want on the books for the 48 games this year.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
I think you're wrong, his cap hit for this year does count towards the NYR cap. He cannot be sent to the minors anymore, as per the new CBA, and the buyouts aren't until the summer. Therefore it is a big problem for Sather.
Yet another person who feels entitled to share his opinions on a subject he has no clue about.

Do you understand the Rangers cap situation right now??? Have you done any homework? Or are you just, assuming?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes that's correct, I didn't mean they couldn't send him down but rather his cap hit will remain with the big club, less the 900k, should they send him down. Regardless, that's a large chunk of change they won't want on the books for the 48 games this year.
They don't care about him being on the books this year. We have more than enough room to keep him, sign MDZ and even pick up some players at the deadline if we wish to do so.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Yet another person who feels entitled to share his opinions on a subject he has no clue about.

Do you understand the Rangers cap situation right now??? Have you done any homework? Or are you just, assuming?
Oh I think I have a clue, it's a 5.6 million dollar cap hit Sather doesn't want on the books this year. So it is a problem for him. Hampers his ability to improve the team, somewhat, after he signs MDZ.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
They don't care about him being on the books this year. We have more than enough room to keep him, sign MDZ and even pick up some players at the deadline if we wish to do so.
You're kidding yourself if you think they "don't care", of course they care. Just makes things tight is all, if they didn't care they wouldn't have sent him to the minors.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
oilers4life5

According to Kevin DeLury on twitter rangers have asked Redden to stay home. Interesting. It was retweeted by Mark Spector.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
I think you're wrong, his cap hit for this year does count towards the NYR cap. He cannot be sent to the minors anymore, as per the new CBA, and the buyouts aren't until the summer. Therefore it is a big problem for Sather.
I know he can't be sent to the minors. I know his cap hit counts towards the cap. What I can't understand is why it's a big problem.

Quote:
Oh I think I have a clue, it's a 5.6 million dollar cap hit Sather doesn't want on the books this year. So it is a problem for him. Hampers his ability to improve the team, somewhat, after he signs MDZ.
Who's on Sathers radar this season that he can't afford now because of Redden? Do you know how much cap we'll have around the deadline, btw??

Quote:
You're kidding yourself if you think they "don't care", of course they care. Just makes things tight is all, if they didn't care they wouldn't have sent him to the minors.
No, you're kidding yourself if you think he does care. Sure, he's aware of it. But you're making it seem like a huge problem for us. All we're trying to do is explain to you it's not that big an issue. But, you seem to know more than me. I've only been following this team for the last 20+ years. I've been keen to Sathers moves a lot more than you, so I think it's more than safe to say I have a much better idea of how he operates. Want me to start preaching to you about your Leafs? And Burke?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Nikita Filatov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles will need a #4 d-man if Vis walks, not a #6-#7.

They have invited ex-Isle Radek Martinek to camp. He's more capable of playing a top 4 role, then Redden.
Until he gets injured on the way to practice by stubbing his toe....

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
grN1g

if the rangers were willing to retain a good portion of his salary, the wild might be interested in his services..

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
The Rangers without Redden and MDZ sit at 59 million (rounded up)

they can spend up to $70.2 million this year.

They absolutely can send him to the minors and of the 6.5 salary, only 5.6 will be assessed against the Rangers cap this year.

$59.0+5.6=64.6

Del Zotto signs for 4 million

64.6+4.0=68.6

Where is the problem?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Gotta feel bad for WR. I know he is getting paid big bucks and all. The Rangers shure screwed him around. I hope he gets back into the NHL at some point.
Cant redden just void his contract if he still wants to play in the NHL and sign with a team at a lower salary? I don't really see how the rangers are screwing him given redden has chosen to be honor his contract.

The Sweetness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Why are there so many people hellbent on making an issue out of this when it's clearly not an issue?

Redden stays home, and the Rangers amnesty him in the summer. Rangers have $5M in cap space this season even with Redden's contract on the books. That's plenty of room to retain Del Zotto.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Anyone who has seen Hartford play... how does Redden look?

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks4Life View Post
While i'm not trying to argue with you about the rangers cap situation... hockeybuzz is not calculated correctly and doesn't account for the cap hit for redden which means that your figure is already inaccurate.
correct. the main page at capgeek shows the Rangers with around 5.6 million in cap space with Redden's cap hit. It showed they had around 11 in the offseason/during the lockout.
Not sure what MDZ is supposed to get tho.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
He has not played for Hartford this year.

I believe it's because of his association with the NHLPA.

Not sure why that would affect him and not other guys.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Last season, he looked slow. Timid. Weak.

There hasn't been any passion in Redden's game since his mother passed away, imo.

He's a damn good dude. He really is. But he's nothing more than a bottom pairing dmen on a shallow team, imo.

I could see a team taking a flyer on him for cheap. But even at 1-2M, he's a very docile player that won't wow anyone with his offensive or defensive play. He'll get burned by average skaters. He'll get outmuscled by weak players.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
We're not the only team that offered Wade that type of contract. And there are risks involved when you sign your name on the bottom-line.

If a company hires you to peform a certain job, and you're failing miserably at it, don't be surprised when they launch your ass.
From what I remember you were the only team to offer that money. The rest of the offers, were around $3-4m per season and not were not a 6 year deal.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
From what I remember you were the only team to offer that money. The rest of the offers, were around $3-4m per season and not were not a 6 year deal.
then you remember incorrectly.

Dallas was in to the tune of 6 per, but I also believe they were not going 6 years. and I believe that Columbus was also interested.

NYR - 6.5 over 6 = 39 million
Dal - 6 per over 5 = 30 million

Lots of monsy left on the table over one years difference.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If the rest of the league was offering 3M~4, would the Rangers really have had to double the contract in order to sign him?

Don't think so . . .

Old
01-11-2013, 02:44 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
Columbus was right up there, too.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:45 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
He has not played for Hartford this year.

I believe it's because of his association with the NHLPA.

Not sure why that would affect him and not other guys.
1-way, non-entry level contract. He would have to clear waivers prior to playing in the AHL. There was no chance to do this with the lockout.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:47 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
if the rangers were willing to retain a good portion of his salary, the wild might be interested in his services..
The Rangers would eat the entire salary if they could, its the cap hit that's the issue.

I have not looked, but have details regarding salary 'trades' and which team gets how much of the cap hit been released?

Old
01-11-2013, 02:50 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
According to Kevin DeLury on twitter rangers have asked Redden to stay home. Interesting. It was retweeted by Mark Spector.
Which is pretty much McKenzie said they'd do on the first page, I don't understand what all the arguing and disputing over rules is about. McKenzie CLEARLY explained it in the first post. Read the first post.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:52 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Why are there so many people hellbent on making an issue out of this when it's clearly not an issue?

Redden stays home, and the Rangers amnesty him in the summer. Rangers have $5M in cap space this season even with Redden's contract on the books. That's plenty of room to retain Del Zotto.
What was the verdict about not getting more than 64.3m committed for next season though? Wasn`t that supposed to be a thing with Subban, because Gomez would for sure be bought out, but they still could not recommitt his cap hit before the actual summer buyout? How is NYR cap situation for next season sans MDZ but with Redden?

P.S.: Honestly asking, I admittedly checked out of that Subban discussion.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote