HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Burke

Old
01-10-2013, 01:52 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Gillis has shown to be a very shrewd GM.

- Acquiring Booth for Sturm and Samuelsson.
- Picking up Higgins and Lapierre on the cheap.
- Great extensions for Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Kesler, and (IMO) Luongo.
- Acquiring Ehrhoff for nothing.
- Signing Malhotra, Samuelsson, and Hamhuis on the FA market while avoiding bad contracts.
- Signing Lack and Tanev.

IMO he's a top-tier GM.
And losing him for nothing...

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:20 PM
hefsbeaver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
So I guess you aren't a fan of any of the above players that currently play for the Canucks?

1. Daniel Sedin
2. Henrik Sedin
3. Ryan Kesler
4. Kevin Bieksa

Stupid Burke, guy was so bad he only acquired the core of your President's trophy team. Guy is clearly incompetent when it comes to running teams.

As for the Gillis effect, the rest of the roster was inherited from our new GM Nonis (Luongo, Schneider, Raymond, Hansen, Edler etc). The only pieces that Gillis has added of note are Hamhuis and Booth, besides that he is coasting on the framework of Burke / Nonis.
and when burke was here with all of the guys listed how many playoff rounds did we win? Did he get some core players? yes but he could not get those core players to win anything. and why was that? because he seems not to value goaltending at all and stuck with Clutier and Auld as our Goalies. And think what you will about Gillis as a GM I personally would much rather him be my GM than either Nonis or Burke. It is my belief that he has make this team into a president winning club not the other way around. He came in and the whole attitude and culture of our team changed from one that was happy with mediocrocy to one that wants to win everything. I have cheered for this team for my whole life I remember the days when getting into the playoffs was a winning season for them now not so much...........as far as I am concerned that is because of Gillis. Again that is my belief so agree or disagree that is up to you

hefsbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I'd gladly see Winnipeg dump Chevy and pick up Burke.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:17 PM
ProstheticConscience
I see an eagle

vCash: 883
Quote:
I can't believe some Leaf "fans", this is why we can never get a good team. We finally get a solid GM and he gets run out of town way too soon.

If you dont think a top six of

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kuelmin

isn't significantly better than

Blake - Stajan - Poni
Antropov - Grabo - Hagman

please give up on hockey and stop claiming to be a fan of the Leafs.
TML 07-08:

36-35-11 = 83 points, 5th in division. 231 GF, 260 GA, 1087 PIM.

TML 11-12:

35-37 -10 = 80 points, 4th in division. 231 GF, 264 GA, 824 PIM.

Whole lotta work to wind up in the same place.

Anyway, later Burke. It was entertaining watching the same story written in TO that was here during his reign. Maybe even the next chapter will be replicated...

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:26 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
and when burke was here with all of the guys listed how many playoff rounds did we win? Did he get some core players? yes but he could not get those core players to win anything. and why was that? because he seems not to value goaltending at all and stuck with Clutier and Auld as our Goalies. And think what you will about Gillis as a GM I personally would much rather him be my GM than either Nonis or Burke. It is my belief that he has make this team into a president winning club not the other way around. He came in and the whole attitude and culture of our team changed from one that was happy with mediocrocy to one that wants to win everything. I have cheered for this team for my whole life I remember the days when getting into the playoffs was a winning season for them now not so much...........as far as I am concerned that is because of Gillis. Again that is my belief so agree or disagree that is up to you
What? How is that at all because of Gillis? When your entire core of players and many support players (Sedin's, Kesler, Luongo, Schneider, Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, Raymond) are brought in by former GM's then the base of the teams success was built by those guys. Gillis has done well with what he inherited and has brought in many nice complimentary players, but to give him complete credit for building this team because they realized their success under him is completely ignorant of you. Say, for example, that Burke and Nonis hadn't been GM's in Vancouver prior to Gillis arriving; would the team be what they are now? The answer to that is a resounding no. Not all credit should be given to those two GM's, but thy deserve their fair share for what they built in Vancouver.

Your blind ignorance to fact is mind-boggling.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
What? How is that at all because of Gillis? When your entire core of players and many support players (Sedin's, Kesler, Luongo, Schneider, Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, Raymond) are brought in by former GM's then the base of the teams success was built by those guys. Gillis has done well with what he inherited and has brought in many nice complimentary players, but to give him complete credit for building this team because they realized their success under him is completely ignorant of you. Say, for example, that Burke and Nonis hadn't been GM's in Vancouver prior to Gillis arriving; would the team be what they are now? The answer to that is a resounding no. Not all credit should be given to those two GM's, but thy deserve their fair share for what they built in Vancouver.

Canucks fans don't grasp that young players take time to develops. They're response when confronted that they're best players are a result of what Burke and Nonis built is that well Kesler and etc etc wasn't putting up the points under Burke /Nonis but they did when Gillis got there.

They had a young core that had most of they're development already, so Gillis really took over at a perfect time.

Not to say Gillis didn't do some great thing, because he absolutely did.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:04 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:

- Signing Malhotra, Samuelsson, and Hamhuis on the FA market while avoiding bad contracts.

IMO he's a top-tier GM.
Do you honestly believe any of those moves have had a significant impact on the success of the Canucks over the core? Essentially all of those guys Booth, Higgins, Lapierre, Malholtra, Samuelsson etc are interchangeable in any free agent period.

Guy inherited a stacked roster and has been a caretaker for it and now he is a top tier GM, but Burke is garbage? That is like me taking over the Pittsburgh Penguins tomorrow and three years from now when we have made the playoffs every year and maybe even win a cup, I can then be considered a top tier GM. You are clearly ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
Gillis "changed the culture" of this team? Are you actually serious? If Burke and Nonis did not come before Gillis he likely would have inherited a pile of garbage instead of the treasure chest of gold he has now.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:18 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I don't think he GM's ever again. I think he's set up pretty well in NHL's front office with his buddy Gary.
I could see Burke working at Pawn Stars, loves the camera and kinda looks like the other fat guys on the show.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:34 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
He's probably worth 2 1st rounders and a 2nd

He won a Cup in Anaheim. Big deal. Lot's of GM's win Cups. Where is their unrelenting praise?

Burke failed miserably in Toronto and made things worse. He does not deserve another GM position.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:38 AM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectYourEdlers View Post
Burke+Gardiner for Luongo?
this is....different

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
I could see Burke working at Pawn Stars, loves the camera and kinda looks like the other fat guys on the show.
wowwwwwwwww

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:24 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Probably to Boston . He must be on their payroll as well . TML would be in better shape if he never made the Kessel trade . Their defence plus Hamilton , could be scare for many years
You dont know that. Without Burke we dont get Gardiner, Liles, or Phaneuf. So we'd have Hamilton to accent what, Ian White?

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:58 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
You dont know that. Without Burke we dont get Gardiner, Liles, or Phaneuf. So we'd have Hamilton to accent what, Ian White?
Whoever is in charge presumably takes steps to ice a roster.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:36 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

I can see Chiarelli getting tossed.

McPhee... maybe...?

Tambellini would be a strong candidate, but that would require a massive management clearing out so I doubt it.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Wait, what?

Old
01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

IMO he's a top-tier GM.
He's a good bargain basement GM. He hands out good extensions but I wonder how much of that is due to Aquilini making Vancouver such a coveted place to play.

However, since he's a good bargain basement GM, he'll probably get decent players like Ehrhoff, Booth or Malhotra for nothing, while not really giving up what it takes for star players (contract wise as UFAs or trade wise). Hamhius was his only "star" acquisition (as much as a solid 2D is a star) and he wanted to play in Vancouver and was seen as more of a good #3 at the time. If he was a shrewd drafter this wouldn't be much of an issue, but his drafting isn't really impressive, at least to me.

McPhee seems very similar to Gillis in the shrewdness department (doesn't lose trades, gets players locked up to excellent deals (Backstrom, Alzner, Carlson), but he's also drafted a fair share of players that are looking like home runs/top 6/top 4 NHLers mid first rounders or later picks in Forsberg, Johansson, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Holtby, Varlamov, Neuvirth and Carlson, with possibly Wilson, Perreault and Galiev joining the ranks soon. All I can remember from Gillis is Hodgson and there are a lot of players drafted after him I'd much rather have.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Assistant General Manager of the Boston Bruins. Very good friends with Peter Chiarelli, family lives in Boston and he helped built that team.

Shortly after that, a position with the NHL.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
But noooo, that 2nd overall wouldn't have turned out anything special... and definitely still can't...

Neither player has worked well, let's see if they can BOTH reach their potential now. That's a two way street; you could make the argument that *if* Van Riemsdyk didn't have injuries, he could be worth WAY more than Schenn. It's all "what ifs" haha, so just hope that both work out well.
That's the point, you traded a struggling 5th overall pick for a struggling 2nd overall pick, who was initially less valued than Schenn. Also most of JVRs struggles are injury related while it seemed Schenn went off the rails because Wilson didn't do his development any good.

That said, at the moment JVR is more valuable than Schenn. The fact that LSchenn is BSchenn's brother got Holmgren to overpay, just like the fact that EStaal is JStaal's brother got Rutherford to give up way more than JStaal is worth.

For comparison, look at Alzner. 5th overall in a weaker draft, much less hype coming in than Schenn. At 18 Schenn is rushed into the NHL and has a good season, Alzner is brought along slowly but steadily with tons of time in the minors. As a result now he's a legitimate top pairing defensive defenseman and a much better player than Schenn.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post

McPhee... maybe...?

Tambellini would be a strong candidate, but that would require a massive management clearing out so I doubt it.
can you imagine the conspiracy theories that would come with Burke getting the GM's job in Boston?????

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Don Cherry's replacement.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:51 PM
hefsbeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

nice!!!!! anyways I dont think I once said I give him complete credit for building this team, I said I give him credit for the way this team operates....therefore the culture. I did not say that they did not bring in the core just changed the way we as fans and those in the organization expect. But my "Blind ignorance" must be mind boggling. Do you remember how the canucks organization was run in the 80s 90s and even the 2000's before gillis? I do that is what I am talking about......but hey read whatever you want, also dont bother to read that that was just my opinion I am just blind and ignorant

Old
01-11-2013, 06:54 PM
hefsbeaver

Quote:
Do you honestly believe any of those moves have had a significant impact on the success of the Canucks over the core? Essentially all of those guys Booth, Higgins, Lapierre, Malholtra, Samuelsson etc are interchangeable in any free agent period.

Guy inherited a stacked roster and has been a caretaker for it and now he is a top tier GM, but Burke is garbage? That is like me taking over the Pittsburgh Penguins tomorrow and three years from now when we have made the playoffs every year and maybe even win a cup, I can then be considered a top tier GM. You are clearly ridiculous

Gillis "changed the culture" of this team? Are you actually serious? If Burke and Nonis did not come before Gillis he likely would have inherited a pile of garbage instead of the treasure chest of gold he has now.

Right because Nonis had such a great drafting spree when he was here. anyways I am not here to fight over our GM I am happy to have him and that is that

Old
01-11-2013, 08:36 PM
CellarDweller0

posted a few times on the Leaf board that I hoped Burke would be able to enjoy the fruits of his labour. i would take our top 6 today anytime over the top 6 that Burke inherited because that top 6 was never going to get better and this top 6 hasn't even come close to their ceiling.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:08 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
He had a few chances to finish with the Canucks and couldn't get us a capable starting goalie, doing it one time in a great situation doesn't mean he'll do it again. I wouldn't want all of his baggage in my organization thats for sure.

He is probably the most overrated executive in sports, any GM could have the Leafs sitting with their current amount of young players given 4 years of bottom 10 finishes, unlimited scouting and money to sign players. He should be leaving the team with some blue chip forwards, instead of zero.
Everyone says how horrible he is. He is hardly overrated.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote