HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Red Haired Shanks

vCash: 500
van keep lu for another season at least

Last edited by Red Haired Shanks: 01-11-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: it deserves a new thread
Old
01-11-2013, 04:18 PM
mix1home

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Kulemin to me is intriguing as is Frattin.
Kulemin, Frattin and Bozak are only 3 players that played on our top 6 last year and have any resemblance of physical play. Leafs send them to Van and who will win any board battles? Connolly, Kessel and Lupul?

As speculations had it last year Leafs refused to trade Kulemin to get Carter. Now they send him to Van for Lou? Right.

I think looking at these proposals members should consider couple of things: Who would play on Leafs #1C and #2C and win battles in top 6?

I dont think personally that Van is good trading partner for Leafs. They need C, which is our weakest position even now without trading anyone. We have excess of wingers and D. That is what traders should be focused on (or 3-way trade perhaps).

Also I dont think Van would want any of our young goalies. Van would be much better off signing veteran backup, IMHO.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Peter Griffin

What would Florida be offering in addition to either Shore/Petrovic?

Old
01-11-2013, 04:19 PM
ginner classic

[QUOTE=Nash;57451871]So from 8 players that were supposed to be part of the core to 2 active players and 6 prospects.

I'm just saying prospects are very overrated here and banking on 5 years from now rarely, if ever, amounts to what we think it will.

Does Toronto have enough talent in the wings to say they have a core to build around?[/QUOTE]

Of course not. You can't build a hockey team without investing in an elite spine. You need a great goalie first. You need two top pairing D. You need an elite center prospect. Toronto has the D covered as far as building blocks are concerned. No center anywhere in that system has elite potential. The goalies are dog-crap.

If they grab Lou and sign Getzlaf, they are in a totally different situation. But from a prospect standpoint....there is not enough to build around yet. Needs some serious tanking for at least two years.

Old
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
What would Florida be offering in addition to either Shore/Petrovic?
I'd guess depth and a pick.

Old
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
except with nathan mackinon or seth jones being added as much as I'd like mackinon jones, gardiner ,reilley looks pretty damn good
Have you ALREADY penciled yourself in for a 2nd last place finish?!

Old
01-11-2013, 04:20 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Let's just set this as a rule. Anytime a Leafs fan wants to use Bozak in a proposal, realize he has about the same to Vancouver as Raymond has to Toronto.

Anytime a Canucks fan wants to use Raymond in a proposal, realize he has about the same Value to Toronto as Bozak has to Vancouver.

Done? Good.
There have been a slight few Canuck fans that like the idea of Bozak. No Leaf fan has ever asked for Raymond.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:20 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
So from 8 players that were supposed to be part of the core to 2 active players and 6 prospects.

I'm just saying prospects are very overrated here and banking on 5 years from now rarely, if ever, amounts to what we think it will.

Does Toronto have enough talent in the wings to say they have a core to build around?
True. Here's an interesting exercise. Have a fan of any team take a look at their propsect pool from three years ago and compare it today. I bet lamost every fan will say their prospect pool has improved. Why? Because they all still have 'potential'. The reality is that for most teams most prospects never make a significant contribution. Once you get past the first round picks that ratio becomes even worse. I forget the ratio of second and third round picks who actually play a meaningful number of NHL games but it's surprisingly low.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
ZKassian9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post

vanvouver fans YOUR NOT GETTING RIELLY OR GARDINER STOP THINKING YOU EVEN HAVE A CHANCE.
Then the Canucks trade with the Flyers. Their forwards prospects are much better and they have an abundance of good young centres.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
There have been a slight few Canuck fans that like the idea of Bozak. No Leaf fan has ever asked for Raymond.
Now that's a stretch. I can't say I've seen many Tyler Bozak jerseys being ordered.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:23 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
This is where our opinions diverge. I don't think the handedness of a prospect should play a huge factor into whether or not we target him over another guy. There are literally a hundred other things I would consider before that.
It's certainly not an irrelevant issue and this has been borne out by many teams scrambling to get right handed shots for much of the last decade. You will hear lots of players say they are far more comfortable on one side (Garrison) and some players that cannot play their off side at all (Bryan Allen). Jovo was a guy who preferred the right side. Error-hoff could go either way.

It matters....it's just not life threatening. :-)

Carolina and Nashville loaded up on them. Nobody else did.

Old
roach9

Hope we get Reilly or Gardiner from Leafs. Anything less, and I hope Lu stays.

I'll take one of many prospects on the Flyers. Man... they have such a drastically better pool of players than Leafs it's sad (for Leafs' fans).

Old
YogiCanucks

Quote:
That's fantastic. They both have very little value and are 'tweeners' that are UFA at the end of the year.

There is very little separating the two except Bozak is coming off a better year and Raymond has more NHL experience.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
So from 8 players that were supposed to be part of the core to 2 active players and 6 prospects.

Does Toronto have enough talent in the wings to say they have a core to build around?
They were never really our core. They were the best prospects in an admittedly weak prospect pool. We turned them into 2 of our best players and more prospects.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
I'd guess depth and a pick.
Theodore. I'm sure he'd waive the NTC.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Have you ALREADY penciled yourself in for a 2nd last place finish?!
no all i'm saying is if there is 1 year it happens where i wouldn't be completely disgusted it's this one with a deep draft and a boatload of cap space. BUT I still believe luongo will be a Leaf so it won't happen

Old
01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
That's fantastic. They both have very little value and are 'tweeners' that are UFA at the end of the year.

There is very little separating the two except Bozak is coming off a better year and Raymond has more NHL experience.
I'm not saying 1 is better than the other. They both definitely have their faults and probably have similar value. But some members of your fan base have thought Bozak could fill a need for you, no Leaf fans think Raymond fills a need for us.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Theodore. I'm sure he'd waive the NTC.
Don't see where the value comes in there. If the Canucks are moving Luongo, they're all in on Schneider and will ride him. I guess Theo is nice insurance, but I'd rather sign someone like Dan Ellis and get all I can of value that can contribute now for Luongo.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Now that's a stretch. I can't say I've seen many Tyler Bozak jerseys being ordered.
I didnt say your fan base was in love with him. but some members of your fanbase have included his name in trade proposals.

Old
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Let's just set this as a rule. Anytime a Leafs fan wants to use Bozak in a proposal, realize he has about the same to Vancouver as Raymond has to Toronto.

Anytime a Canucks fan wants to use Raymond in a proposal, realize he has about the same Value to Toronto as Bozak has to Vancouver.

Done? Good.
Raymond for Bozak!

Old
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
This is where our opinions diverge. I don't think the handedness of a prospect should play a huge factor into whether or not we target him over another guy. There are literally a hundred other things I would consider before that.
I'm not saying I prefer him only because of his handedness. I'm saying I prefer him because he's a great prospect, and fills a need for us. If he played only the left side, there would be no room for him on our roster whatsoever, and I would instead prefer to target a player like Howden, who I value similarly, but would make a bigger impact to us over a LHD.

If there are two players, relatively similar in value, obviously you take the one that fills a greater need. You could also add minor pieces to make up for the difference in calibre. That's why, I would, for example, prefer Petrovic + 1st to Bjugstad + 2nd.

Either way, I think Petrovic is a better prospect than Shore.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Hope we get Reilly or Gardiner from Leafs. Anything less, and I hope Lu stays.

I'll take one of many prospects on the Flyers. Man... they have such a drastically better pool of players than Leafs it's sad (for Leafs' fans).
If this actually happened as a 32yr old die hard leafs fan I will never watch another Leaf game in my life.. and would shoot Nonis

Old
01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
To be fair, I put him in thinking it is most likely going to happen, between rumors and speculation it seems a forgone conclusion.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Don't see where the value comes in there. If the Canucks are moving Luongo, they're all in on Schneider and will ride him. I guess Theo is nice insurance, but I'd rather sign someone like Dan Ellis and get all I can of value that can contribute now for Luongo.
Florida won't carry three goalies and in a short season with a compressed schedule, Theodore as a backup to get 30% of the starts is a nice set up. Theo has one year left on his deal is cap friendly and has lots of experience. My oly hesiation with him is that his game is so different from Schneider that it's a bit tough on the D when they change from game to game.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:37 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Fixed it for you.

Raymond > Bozak. In addition to playing competent defense, Raymond provides the fanbase with perpetual hilarity as he falls down once per shift. Can Bozak offer that? I think not.
and he falls at high speed.

Closed Thread