2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 04:47 PM
skating101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Has better hands, skill and skating ability then Strome. Only thing he doesnt have, is a familiar last name, and doesnt play for the Marlies.
Canít back you on that one Chewer.. hope your fingers are loose and ready.

Better skating is all that Mitch Marner has over Dylan Strome. Dylan is a lock for a top 5 his skating will improve and his hockey IQ only rivals McDavid within the 97 group.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan1980 View Post
Needs to work on foot speed? I understand everyone can get faster but he's one of the fastest kids I've seen in this age group
Again its been over 10 months since I watched him play, I am very happy to hear he's one of the faster kids always been a big fan and look forward to watching him play next year.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Has better hands, skill and skating ability then Strome. Only thing he doesnt have, is a familiar last name, and doesnt play for the Marlies.
I think you are dreaming.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post

Better skating is all that Mitch Marner has over Dylan Strome. Dylan is a lock for a top 5 his skating will improve and his hockey IQ only rivals McDavid within the 97 group.
Totally!

Old
01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
inthekknow

Must Agree Completely with the feedbback on Jordan Maclean of Marlies. Has had a solid season and is a key factor on that team. Not as appreciated as he should be behind De Farrias and Cho and then has the Gagne situation.
From several games I have observed he is the most consistant of the Marlie D. 95% of the time you know exaclty what you will get from him and it is good.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:59 PM
chewerjones

Quote:

If you havent got the skating downpact by 15, it only gets harder. You can improve your stride, but to become a better, faster skater is alot to ask for.

Other kids will grow stronger and pass him. He is already 6' plus and his growing has maxed.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:01 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I think you are dreaming.
All you have to do is watch them play, and you will agree with me. Marner's knock is that he is too small and people dont take him seriously.

But if you were to put both kids on a strange team, without their names on their jerseys, it would be clear that Marner would outshine in speed, skill, compete level and hands.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:10 PM
HatTrick97

Marner is good. BUT to compare him to Strome or even suggest he is better is totally offside!

Old
01-11-2013, 05:15 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Not sure where MapleLeaf is getting his info? been 10 months since I have watched Kirwan yes he’s big, chiseled i dont know, but he needed work on his foot speed.

Great Kid on and off the ice but sorry I have Zach Werenski as the can’t miss 97 south of the board.
My opinion and info as always is my own. He is an explosive skater especially for his size. Off the ice u look at him and he is big and wide, he shouldnt be able to move his feet like that, but he does. Have u seen him play this year? Ive seen him 6-7 times.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:20 PM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
My opinion and info as always is my own. He is an explosive skater especially for his size. Off the ice u look at him and he is big and wide, he shouldnt be able to move his feet like that, but he does. Have u seen him play this year? Ive seen him 6-7 times.
No its been over 10 months since I watched him play, I am very happy to hear he's one of the faster kids really looking forward to watching him play

Old
01-11-2013, 05:23 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Chew u went down that road already with the name thing, its unfair/not accurate. His point per production is higher than anyone in Ontario, including Konecny. If u mentioned the name thing with another Marlie last year, ud probably be closer to the mark. Strome transforms to the OHL so much better than Marner, u should see this. Is making 100 foot passes and threading the puck through 3 guys right on the tape, not a skill to u? Not many people also realize Dylan Strome has one of the most accurate shots in Ontario. He is a smarter hockey player than anyone in Ontario from my perspective. The last thing in the world u will ever catch me doing is being bias to anyone, especially with the name on the back. In fact for me, I look harder at these types of players with family pedigree in hockey. He is extremely talented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan1980 View Post
Needs to work on foot speed? I understand everyone can get faster but he's one of the fastest kids I've seen in this age group
Agreed and his shot is probably harder than Korostelev, so is his physical impact. He translates to the OHL very well.

Garyboy, that was kind of creepy, but No i havent . Tshirt yes. Kirwan has massive shoulders. Ekblad was very mature well beyond his years at his age. He was also developed and pretty cut for a younger kid.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:38 PM
chewerjones

Agree to disagree.

We will end that talk for now, and we can revisit it in 3 months.

I get tired of trying to school you guys daily, without getting paid. Its frustrating. LOL

Old
01-11-2013, 05:42 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthekknow View Post
Must Agree Completely with the feedbback on Jordan Maclean of Marlies. Has had a solid season and is a key factor on that team. Not as appreciated as he should be behind De Farrias and Cho and then has the Gagne situation.
From several games I have observed he is the most consistant of the Marlie D. 95% of the time you know exaclty what you will get from him and it is good.
Finally someone here is onboard with me. He is my sleeper in this draft right now. Id rather have Maclean over Defarius or Cho. Id put Maclean in the Top 5-6 for GTHL Dmen, moving forward. The dump and chase and cycle game in the OHL are going to expose DEfarius lack of being physical, at times avoiding it. Im not trying to single him out, all of the MArlie Defenseman aside from MAclean dont like the physical contact. Teams like YSE feast on u when your D core is like that. If u avoid minor midget boys, how are u going to feel with the OHL boys? He has excellent feet, so does everyone in the OHL. Maclean has showed me a few times, he will sacrifice his body for the win, at times he appears so focused that pain is an after thought. He has a very diverse toolset, still getting more polished game by game.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:52 PM
LKF

Saw a bunch of the players after the prospects game. Marner is about 5'8 currrently. About the same size as Konechy and almost as big as Stephens although probably a little lighter than both. I thought Stephens would be bigger. He must wear large equipment because at the most he was 5'10. Many of these kids have lots of developing left and many are done. We will see in 3 years where they all end up.
Cheers

Old
01-11-2013, 05:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Saw a bunch of the players after the prospects game. Marner is about 5'8 currrently. About the same size as Konechy and almost as big as Stephens although probably a little lighter than both. I thought Stephens would be bigger. He must wear large equipment because at the most he was 5'10. Many of these kids have lots of developing left and many are done. We will see in 3 years where they all end up.
Cheers
I think Marner is closer to 5-6 130. Konecny 5-8 145, Stephens 5-9 155. Stephens wears massive shoulder pads.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:51 PM
wingman22

Quote:
I think Marner is closer to 5-6 130. Konecny 5-8 145, Stephens 5-9 155. Stephens wears massive shoulder pads.
You guys should work the carnivals and start guessing birthdates. Chew, you would make money at that. Lol
Listen to you guys. Kirwin Stephens marner konecny. You guys hang outside the dressing room taking notes on their physique ? Creepy

Old
01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
You guys should work the carnivals and start guessing birthdates. Chew, you would make money at that. Lol
Listen to you guys. Kirwin Stephens marner konecny. You guys hang outside the dressing room taking notes on their physique ? Creepy
The way u word it, sounds creepy. Its not like that. U see them warm up before games in gym attire all around the rinks its impossible to not see, they warm up/stretch, go for runs outside, lap the arena etc and U see them in street clothes.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:54 PM
skating101

Quote:
Finally someone here is onboard with me. He is my sleeper in this draft right now. Id rather have Maclean over Defarius or Cho. Id put Maclean in the Top 5-6 for GTHL Dmen, moving forward. The dump and chase and cycle game in the OHL are going to expose DEfarius lack of being physical, at times avoiding it. Im not trying to single him out, all of the MArlie Defenseman aside from MAclean dont like the physical contact. Teams like YSE feast on u when your D core is like that. If u avoid minor midget boys, how are u going to feel with the OHL boys? He has excellent feet, so does everyone in the OHL. Maclean has showed me a few times, he will sacrifice his body for the win, at times he appears so focused that pain is an after thought. He has a very diverse toolset, still getting more polished game by game.
Mcclean is not even close to Cho and you can't even start to compare mcclean to defarias.

Defarias was by far the best D at the prospect game and will be one of the first D taken from the GTHL.

I saw defarias get physical along the boards and easily win two puck battles against Special K.

Disagree with you on this one

Last edited by skating101: 01-11-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 09:22 PM
skating101

Quote:
The way u word it, sounds creepy. Its not like that. U see them warm up before games in gym attire all around the rinks its impossible to not see, they warm up/stretch, go for runs outside, lap the arena etc and U see them in street clothes.
Sorry still a little creepy I watch a lot of hockey and have no idea what most players look like without their buckets on.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Sorry still a little creepy I watch a lot of hockey and have no idea what most players look like without their buckets on.
You must get there right when the game starts then. Like mapleleaf said, you see the entire team doing their off-ice warm-ups. They literally run right by you a lot of the time. Only natural to see what their physical presence is like outside of equipment. Nothing creepy about that. The stereotypical hockey fan would think it's creepy the way we disect 15 year old hockey players, so you should appreciate the conversation on how a players size and build plays it's part in the discussions.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:17 PM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
You must get there right when the game starts then. Like mapleleaf said, you see the entire team doing their off-ice warm-ups. They literally run right by you a lot of the time. Only natural to see what their physical presence is like outside of equipment. Nothing creepy about that. The stereotypical hockey fan would think it's creepy the way we disect 15 year old hockey players, so you should appreciate the conversation on how a players size and build plays it's part in the discussions.
I get it and know mapleleaf comments were clean and for productive form only

Old
01-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
I get it and know mapleleaf comments were clean and for productive form only
Nice! I like the cut of your jib, silky stride =).

Old
01-11-2013, 11:16 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Don't know any particulars on a Fregona injury is that why he did not participate in the GTHL prospect game?

The 98 Marlboros are indeed in Port Hurron.
He got hurt against North York. Was he even selected for the GTHL prospects game? I dont think he was. Not sure if he is back this weekend, ill guess no. He will be missed. Fregona has very good hands and has excellent skating ability, he meshes fantastic with Strome.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:25 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Hey , I dont throw around weights and heights like some people out there.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:25 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
He got hurt against North York. Was he even selected for the GTHL prospects game? I dont think he was. Not sure if he is back this weekend, ill guess no. He will be missed. Fregona has very good hands and has excellent skating ability, he meshes fantastic with Strome.
Let's see some early mocks! Please

Closed Thread