HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 16th: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2013, 09:55 AM
  #651
Felstead
Boss Status
 
Felstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Not really, the list hasn't been updated since the beginning of spring, IIRC, definitely before winter though. So not wanting to come to a team where taxes are a bit higher (though overblown by media), and where he's playing on turf for about 90 games a year (TB included there), it's not hard to see why they'd be on his no-trade list.
Don't know if it wasn't updated or not but that's what I got from heyman on twitter. Taxes really aren't that huge of a deal, it's all about if you want to win or not . I guess with the rumored Yankees on that list he just wants to stay away from the AL east.

Felstead is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
  #652
Edler Von Gud
Registered User
 
Edler Von Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
So, J.P blocked me on twitter even though I've never tweeted him ever. There's that.
well I'm glad he learned to block something atleast

Edler Von Gud is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:16 AM
  #653
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Not really, the list hasn't been updated since the beginning of spring, IIRC, definitely before winter though. So not wanting to come to a team where taxes are a bit higher (though overblown by media), and where he's playing on turf for about 90 games a year (TB included there), it's not hard to see why they'd be on his no-trade list.
Its possible the list could have been submitted once the season finished and seeing as all those four teams were terrible in 2012 and look like a rebuilding club, its easy to see why they are on Upton's list. They are also the type of team that have the farm system and would still trade for him even if they are not fully done rebuilding yet as Upton is young and under control to be part of their core.

I don't think Upton would reject a trade to the Jays now but he definitely would have done it earlier in the off-season before Jays made all these moves. I've never really looked into it but Upton has disturbing home/road splits. .937 career OPS at home vs .731 on the road.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
  #654
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
well I'm glad he learned to block something atleast
Well, post of the year candidate right here

Michael Gary Scott is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
  #655
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,895
vCash: 500
The Brewers signed Kelvim Escobar to a minor league contract with a spring training invite.

I had no idea Esecobar was even still in the league.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 03:52 PM
  #656
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,168
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
The Brewers signed Kelvim Escobar to a minor league contract with a spring training invite.

I had no idea Esecobar was even still in the league.
He wasn't. Hadn't played since 2009.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
  #657
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,508
vCash: 500
Just to fire up some discussion... because things have gotten pretty damn slow!

If you guys could add any player (position or pitcher) to our current roster (for free) who would it be?

For me... I think its Robbie Cano. Checks off so many of the boxes we "need"... LH hitter, power and average, can play good D at 2nd.

If by some crazy miracle sent down from the heavens he becomes an FA next year... I think AA should give him a blank check with Ted Rogers sig. on it

topched is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:17 PM
  #658
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,168
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Just to fire up some discussion... because things have gotten pretty damn slow!

If you guys could add any player (position or pitcher) to our current roster (for free) who would it be?

For me... I think its Robbie Cano. Checks off so many of the boxes we "need"... LH hitter, power and average, can play good D at 2nd.

If by some crazy miracle sent down from the heavens he becomes an FA next year... I think AA should give him a blank check with Ted Rogers sig. on it
Mike Trout, move Joey Batts to 1B.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
  #659
LordRamsay
Come out and flay
 
LordRamsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 588
Shi Davidi said something about the Jays being interested in Rafael Soriano as a FA. Had to go into work and missed it.

LordRamsay is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
  #660
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
Shi Davidi said something about the Jays being interested in Rafael Soriano as a FA. Had to go into work and missed it.
He said almost anyone would be, but that the Jays have no room for him.

Ohio Jones is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:47 PM
  #661
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
He said almost anyone would be, but that the Jays have no room for him.
It seems like the draft pick system put in place is really hurting the players.

It was successful with done (i guess) because he was able to be retained by Washington... but for Soriano, Bourn and even Lohse it seems like tams are really shying away.

Asking price is certainly a factor but giving up that 1st round pick seems to be a non-starter for alot of teams. I remember reading that the yankees had no interest in brining back soriano as they wanted the pick.

topched is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:50 PM
  #662
weems
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
He said almost anyone would be, but that the Jays have no room for him.
Why do the Jays not have room for him?

I know AA said we might be at the limit but who knows, maybe he went to management telling them he could get a elite pen arm signed and they gave him the ok.

At this point and whats gone on this offseason I wouldnt rule out anything and certainly not say we dont have room.

weems is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:50 PM
  #663
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,508
vCash: 500
Jays just signed C Henry Blanco (41) to a 1yr/750k deal. non-guaranteed

Kind of weird.

Wilner: "Defence-first C who kills LHP"

topched is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
  #664
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,979
vCash: 500
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590

Curiously, #Bluejays sign 41 y.o. catcher Henry Blanco to a 1yr/$750K deal. Defense-first C who kills LHP, non-guaranteed deal.

DFA Hottovy to make room (the guy they claimed from Rangers and DFA'd Chad Beck for).

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:53 PM
  #665
weems
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,123
vCash: 500
Thats friggin funny.
Dickey was asked in a interview before whos done the best job of catching the knuckleball and he said without a doubt Blanco.

weems is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
  #666
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,979
vCash: 500
I don't get why its a major league deal... I mean, how do we have room for him unless we will carry 3 catchers on the 40 man and platoon him with Lind which would be freaking insane (not in a good way). Unless they are giving him major league money but still planning on him trying to be Triple A depth?

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 04:56 PM
  #667
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590

Curiously, #Bluejays sign 41 y.o. catcher Henry Blanco to a 1yr/$750K deal. Defense-first C who kills LHP, non-guaranteed deal.

DFA Hottovy to make room (the guy they claimed from Rangers and DFA'd Chad Beck for).
Not sure what to make of it. Blanco isn't even all that great against lefties... and he's SO OLD.

But here's where it does make sense I guess: If Blanco is your RH bench bat/25th man... it gives you lots of running options late in the game. You can throw in Bonifacio or Davis for JP with no worries.

Also gives you the option to catch Thole vs. Dickey and DH JP... and pinch run for either late in the game.


EDIT: Just had to throw this in for fun.... OMG WERE TRADING JP

topched is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
  #668
Everlong
JoeyBats
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I don't get why its a major league deal... I mean, how do we have room for him unless we will carry 3 catchers on the 40 man and platoon him with Lind which would be freaking insane (not in a good way). Unless they are giving him major league money but still planning on him trying to be Triple A depth?
It's truly bizarre. Surely there are better options. He's not going to be used as a catcher very often, I can guarantee that. He doesn't even hit lefties that well. Is this another intangibles signing, ala Vizquel?

Everlong is online now  
Old
01-11-2013, 05:10 PM
  #669
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
It's truly bizarre. Surely there are better options. He's not going to be used as a catcher very often, I can guarantee that. He doesn't even hit lefties that well. Is this another intangibles signing, ala Vizquel?
Possible he is just a 3rd option as a catcher in case JPA/Thole go down (the deal is non-guaranteed so they would only pay 1/6 if they cut him from ST) or they could try sending him down to Triple A... he would get major league money and would be the first guy to be called up if a catcher goes down. If he opts out and elects to become a FA if Jays try to send him down, the contract becomes void and Jays don't owe him anything.

Maybe someone else can confirm if Jays can do all this.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
  #670
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Not sure what to make of it. Blanco isn't even all that great against lefties... and he's SO OLD.

But here's where it does make sense I guess: If Blanco is your RH bench bat/25th man... it gives you lots of running options late in the game. You can throw in Bonifacio or Davis for JP with no worries.

Also gives you the option to catch Thole vs. Dickey and DH JP... and pinch run for either late in the game.


EDIT: Just had to throw this in for fun.... OMG WERE TRADING JP
The only place this fit is where you said when JP is DH'ing

dredeye is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
  #671
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,714
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
blanco is probably there to teach the other catchers how to work/read the knuckler.

Porn* is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 05:44 PM
  #672
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,509
vCash: 500
OK, let's list all of the catchers that the Jays have acquired this off-season:
Bobby Wilson
Eli Whiteside
John Buck
Josh Thole
Henry Blanco


Who is going to be catching in Buffalo? I am not sure what the Jays did with Whiteside or Wilson. Are they still Jays property?

Suntouchable13 is online now  
Old
01-11-2013, 05:55 PM
  #673
Jozay
lolwut?
 
Jozay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In someones closet..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
OK, let's list all of the catchers that the Jays have acquired this off-season:
Bobby Wilson
Eli Whiteside
John Buck
Josh Thole
Henry Blanco


Who is going to be catching in Buffalo? I am not sure what the Jays did with Whiteside or Wilson. Are they still Jays property?
Forgot Nickeas.

Nickeas starts in Buffalo
Wilson is gone
Whiteside is gone
Buck is gone
Thole will start with the big club
Blanco, I guess will most likely be on the big club too.

Jozay is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 06:00 PM
  #674
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Leafsdude7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,191
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Forgot Nickeas.

Nickeas starts in Buffalo
Wilson is gone
Whiteside is gone
Buck is gone
Thole will start with the big club
Blanco, I guess will most likely be on the big club too.
Is Jimenez likely to start at Buffalo or New Hampshire?

I know pre-Dickey that he was almost certainly slated for NH so that he could be their starter, but now with D'arnaud gone, I think he might be given that chance.

Or is he still likely going to need more AA time anyway?

Leafsdude7 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
  #675
Jozay
lolwut?
 
Jozay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In someones closet..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Is Jimenez likely to start at Buffalo or New Hampshire?

I know pre-Dickey that he was almost certainly slated for NH so that he could be their starter, but now with D'arnaud gone, I think he might be given that chance.

Or is he still likely going to need more AA time anyway?
I think he will start in AA and maybe mid-season, he gets moved up to AAA.

Jozay is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.