HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oiler Arrival Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 05:43 PM
flarwick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You don't think it's bizarre that virutally the entire team is here except for the captain?
I don't usually jump on the Horcoff bash train but it's pretty ridiculous that he isn't here with his teammates now unless as i said before, he has PA obligations to tend to and isn't allowed with the team yet until the deal is finalized. When you're a captain of a team, you should shoulder the responsibility that comes along with it even if it's something as petty as showing up to camp a little early. It's about setting an example for the rest of the team especially the young bucks.
With great power comes great responsibility. Remember that kids.
Hopefully Horcoff keeps that in mind in the event he's bitten by a radioactive spider.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:45 PM
dnicks17

Hainsey is skating with the Jets in Winnipeg, and I would assume he's more important to the PA than Horcoff, so I doubt Horcoff is skating in Detroit because of any PA responsibility.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:45 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarwick View Post
Hopefully Horcoff keeps that in mind in the event he's bitten by a radioactive spider.
I think you know what i meant.
He's the captain and should lead by example and he's nowhere to be found. Well, he's actually skating in Michigan with a Red Wings player. Way to go Cap'n.
It's his responsibility to act like a capitan and be there with his team from the very beginning unless there was a damn good reason for him to not be in Edmonton right now.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:48 PM
flarwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I think you know what i meant.
He's the captain and should lead by example and he's nowhere to be found. Well, he's actually skating in Michigan with a Red Wings player. Way to go Cap'n.
Like I said, if he shows up out of shape - you've got a point. If they wanted him here today, they'd have told him to report today. It can't be a big deal to the Oilers, so why does it bother you so much?

As a wise woman once said, "Huh. What do I think? Um ,you know what, Stan, if you want me to wear thirty-seven pieces of flair, like your uh, pretty boy over there, Brian, why don't you just make the minimum thirty-seven pieces of flair?"

Everyone breathe.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
OMG OMG OMG RNH isn't here yet either and all the rest of the kids are OMG OMG OMG even Yakupov and he doesn't speak English OMG OMG OMG.

Ridiculous.
Going from Michigan to Edmonton is A LOT different than coming all the way from Russia when you also have loose ends to tie up in Oklahoma City. Horcoff has been at home in Michigan for months. There's no excuse for him not to be here. None.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Like I said, if he shows up out of shape - you've got a point. If they wanted him here today, they'd have told him to report today. It can't be a big deal to the Oilers, so why does it bother you so much?

As a wise woman once said, "Huh. What do I think? Um ,you know what, Stan, if you want me to wear thirty-seven pieces of flair, like your uh, pretty boy over there, Brian, why don't you just make the minimum thirty-seven pieces of flair?"

Everyone breathe
Everybody is doing fine. You're the one who is freaking out.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:49 PM
flarwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Going from Michigan to Edmonton is A LOT different than coming all the way from Russia when you also have loose ends to tie up in Oklahoma City. Horcoff has been at home in Michigan for months. There's no excuse for him not to be here. None.
Does it matter?! Whatever his reason is for not being here, he's well within his right to have one. That's good enough for me.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Well, that's the thing. He shouldn't be told to be here, it should be instinctual as the leader of the team to want to be with your teammates the moment you have a chance.
You see Smyth skating with the new kid, teaching him on the ice and gave him his phone number just in case Yak needed him for anything. Look at Hall and Eberle on the ice talking to Yakupov and showing him the ropes. That's what leaders do.

Yes, it's not a big deal in the long run but it's little things like being at the beginning of camp with your team that go a long way towards showing leadership and building comradery. The fact that everybody is here but the captain is bizarre and he deserves to be questioned for it unless there is some emergency type of situation in Michigan that occurred and he absolutely can't be here.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Anyone else here think what I'm thinking?

Is flarwick Darryl Katzs red headed son?

Old
01-11-2013, 06:02 PM
oilers92

rnh is in town today so the captain couldnt even beat him, maybe he has an excuse otherwise i think some might take it the wrong way...captains should lead by example, shoulder the blame, and take all the **** thrown at a team not an easy job by any means but one you should do if you want to be captain

Old
01-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Ragss

I'm inclined to agree that the captain should be there skating with the rookies. If much of the team is already in town, he should be there leading them. Maybe something is afoot with his captaincy?

Old
01-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Free*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Anyone else here think what I'm thinking?

Is flarwick Darryl Katzs red headed son?
You know he's on these boards somewhere...

Old
01-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Surely there are more important things to worry about than whether or not he's here before he's supposed to be, no?
Again, the time to prepare is short. That one week of TC is going to go by in a heartbeat. Every extra practice, no matter how informal, you can get with your own teammates is important, IMO. Yes, he is not obligated to be here yet. If this was a regular year, I couldn't give a crap. But this is a different season like no other.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Alex87

Sorry guys, I'm not buying it. Can't recall any September where everyone was paying attention to the exact date and time of the captain's arrival. Kind of an unfair standard to hold anyone to, some arbitrary selected time for people to arrive at that is seemingly selected at random. Reminds me of the "Flair" scene from Office Space.

Besides, something tells me if Hall was Captain and Terry Jones wrote an article blasting him for being in Calgary training with the freakin' Flames you guys would be lining up to defend Hall. This seems more about Horcoff's salary and lack of production than anything. I might be a bit biased of course, because I personally think the Horcoff hate passed the point of farce long ago. Just my opinion.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:44 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Everyone seems to forget that Nuge still had to go back to OKC to get his stuff. Im sure he came back....took a couple days to rest. Off to OKC to clean house and pick up sticks and equipment. Then fly to Edmonton. All that after he flew back from Ufa. Kid deserves some time off.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't believe people are defending Horcoff. Practically the ENTIRE team is here and skating yet the captain is still MIA. They have like 5 official days to get ready before the season opens so if everyone else has already shown up, the captain should be here helping the team get ready.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
I can't believe people are defending Horcoff. Practically the ENTIRE team is here and skating yet the captain is still MIA. They have like 5 official days to get ready before the season opens so if everyone else has already shown up, the captain should be here helping the team get ready.
And he will, once training camp actually opens on Sunday.

"Hey Horcoff, didn't you get the memo? I know we told you training camp starts Sunday, but you're actually required to be here two days ahead of time. The fans have decreed it."

And to be fair, there's like me and one other guy defending Horcoff in this thread. We are an increasingly small group.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post

"Hey Horcoff, didn't you get the memo? I know we told you training camp starts Sunday, but you're actually required to be here two days ahead of time. The fans have decreed it."

And to be fair, there's like me and one other guy defending Horcoff in this thread. We are an increasingly small group.
It isn't about the fans it is about the team and his responsibility as captain of the team. He is suppose to be going above and beyond to make sure this team is as ready as possible and doesn't include staying in Michigan until the last moment while everyone else is here practicing. If he wants to do that, let someone else be the captain. Training camp on Monday is only when it officially starts, but the NHL requires extra effort to be successful, it isn't a 9-5 job.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:00 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:

The captain sets the example for the rest of the team. If practice starts at 10 AM, and the captain rolls in at 9:45, quickly puts on his gear and hits the ice, that is what the young kids see as the acceptable situation. Same as in this case. The message is 'do the minimum required. It doesn't matter that we only have a 5 day training camp. Stick with the program PA brothers.' Not my idea of leadership, but to each his own I guess.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Fire Nelson?

Old
01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
The captain sets the example for the rest of the team. If practice starts at 10 AM, and the captain rolls in at 9:45, quickly puts on his gear and hits the ice, that is what the young kids see as the acceptable situation. Same as in this case.
These two situations couldn't be any more different! We're not talking 15 minutes, we're talking two full days. And again, I can't remember any other September where this issue was raised, so frankly, I think this is just the latest chapter in the "lets all hate on Horcoff" saga.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:08 PM
flarwick

Quote:

Everyone breathe.

Quote:
Sorry guys, I'm not buying it. Can't recall any September where everyone was paying attention to the exact date and time of the captain's arrival. Kind of an unfair standard to hold anyone to, some arbitrary selected time for people to arrive at that is seemingly selected at random. Reminds me of the "Flair" scene from Office Space.
You and me are gonna get along just fine, that's exactly what I thought of haha.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:11 PM
flarwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Again, the time to prepare is short. That one week of TC is going to go by in a heartbeat. Every extra practice, no matter how informal, you can get with your own teammates is important, IMO. Yes, he is not obligated to be here yet. If this was a regular year, I couldn't give a crap. But this is a different season like no other.
I guess I just don't see a couple of horseshoe drills and 3 on 3 scrimmages as being critical to the team's success this season. Apparently I'm in the minority on that one.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
These two situations couldn't be any more different! We're not talking 15 minutes, we're talking two full days. And again, I can't remember any other September where this issue was raised, so frankly, I think this is just the latest chapter in the "lets all hate on Horcoff" saga.
Is he here yet? If he isn't on the ice tomorrow with the guys, that is one day. What is the acceptable time frame he should be here? An hour before TC? Two hours? In September TC is 3 weeks+. This is 5 days. Surely you can see why it isn't a big deal in Sept. I could care less who the captain was. If it was Hall, Smyth, etc, and they pulled this kind of stunt, I would still be pissed.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:18 PM
oilphan

I agree with everyone who is saying he should be there. As captain, he should have been the first guy to arrive. He has had 9 months to be at home. Even if he came here for a day or two and then went back to get his stuff. Looks terrible. The guy hasn't even made a statement as far as I know. Seems like a selfish jerk to me. Reminds me of how Moreau acted towards the end...entitled.

Closed Thread