HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

P.K. Subban resigns with Montreal, Jan. 28 (post #1)

Old
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
FlyerFire

vCash: 500
Why do they think hes the next coming of Bobby Orr?

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I don't think he is worth that much but Subban has Montreal bent over a barrel here.

Their defense is pretty bad.

If subban isn't there, their defense is :

Markov - Georges
Kaberle - Emelin
Weber - Bouillion
Diaz

Markov has played 20 games over the last 2 seasons. Injuries have been a concern for him since 2009-10.

Are they prepared to go into the season as Georges their #1 if Markov gets hurt?

01-11-2013, 08:15 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
hes not even that good a player..

maybe he is in the MTL universe, but in the NHL universe, he doesnt even warrent a mention.

signing him to 7M is about as smart as signing #weakwrists to 5M..

oh wait...
Haha! I completely forgot that Tampa gave him a 5.5/6yr deal... That is just terrible.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
Why do they think hes the next coming of Bobby Orr?
I was laughing at the main trade board because Habs fans were calling him a "generational talent".

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I was laughing at the main trade board because Habs fans were calling him a "generational talent".
These are the same fans saying Plekanec is worth more than Couturier and Voracek together

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
These are the same fans saying Plekanec is worth more than Couturier and Voracek together
And if Couturier was on the Canadians he would be untouchable save straight up for Giroux.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:01 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Another rumor is 4 years @ 29m for him

No way he gets over 7 million.

the 5.5 is pretty fair IMO

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Damaged Goods

Edler re-signs with Vancouver.

Next year's crop of UFA d-men is exceptionally weak.

Chances to get a true #1 d-man over the next year are going to be few and far between.

Apparently Subban is asking for a $20 M contract. The Flyers should double that amount.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:03 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Getting Subban without subtracting from the roster would be golden. I hope Homer makes an offer that Montreal can't match.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:43 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Chances to get a true #1 d-man over the next year are going to be few and far between.
You should change that to ever. the new system is designed to keep players with their current team and to hamper team that want to spend money.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:51 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Getting Subban without subtracting from the roster would be golden. I hope Homer makes an offer that Montreal can't match.
Unfortunately, anything Montreal can't match is something we wouldn't want to have ourselves.

01-19-2013, 04:10 AM
dats81

The question is whether selling your farm in a deal to trade for a #1D or jumping right into cap hell by throwing a stupid offer sheet and being stuck with a potential insane contract is more appealing?

Number 1 defensemen never hit free agency and you can't get one without giving up something really valuable. Pretty much a can't win situation unless you draft a gem late in the first.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:00 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

5 is reasonable considering Weak Wrists got 5.5, I do think a #1 Dman can be had here in Philly BUT it will take us parting with one of Couts or B Schenn to do it, or perhaps both, I almost hope Laughton turn out to be as good as Couts so we could dangle him or vise versa in trade talks, maybe just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks....wait it's that good journelism? LOL

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:45 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
The question is whether selling your farm in a deal to trade for a #1D or jumping right into cap hell by throwing a stupid offer sheet and being stuck with a potential insane contract is more appealing?

Number 1 defensemen never hit free agency and you can't get one without giving up something really valuable. Pretty much a can't win situation unless you draft a gem late in the first.
when did we get a farm?

We traded that for pronger.

We would be far better (farm wise) off trading kimmo and briere at the deadline ( which should be a sellers market) for picks.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Montreal isn't Nashville + Subban isn't Weber. If Montreal doesn't match, it's because Subban doesn't worth the contract or the compensation is better. We wouldn't want that.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:36 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
You should change that to ever. the new system is designed to keep players with their current team and to hamper team that want to spend money.
Yep, even more reason to root for Luke Schenn. :|

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Subban is very underrated defensively and he has a lot of potential offensively and has already shown it at the NHL level. His attitude problems in the habs locker room and at the scrimmages have been overblown a lot too in case you guys were wondering. He was a headcase at first and still might be at times, but he has toned it down a lot since the beginning. I could see a team like Philly being great trading partners with the Habs for Subban, I don't know if your guys' powerplay always struggles like it did tonight from what I saw but Subban has 33 points on the PP out of his career total (76 pts) so he could definitely help you guys out there. He has a wicked shot, good puck handling skills (despite his rare giveaways in the defensive zones which are always dangerous), and he is a great hitter and passer, and like I said underrated defensively. I know I'm pumping his tires and making him sound like a top 10 defender in the league and trust me he's very far from it, but he has the potential to become one and I think one day he will make it there. He's only 23 and he came into the league at a young age and he's already in his 3rd season and that's when most people should be entering the league so he will only get better. As for the Subban for Couturier trade, I personally wouldn't do it because Subban has been our #1 D for two years now so unless it was a very tempting offer like Couturier + then I would take it only because Subban is just that important to us, but then it wouldn't be worth it for you guys since it would be an overpayment. Don't get me wrong here for wanting you guys to add to Couturier, he is an amazing player, I can't even imagine having him on the habs and I am 100% sure the rest of the habs fanbase feels that way but its a little hard to picture him on our team at the expense of Subban because our defense would be crippled and we'd be looking at a lottery pick.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Unfortunately, anything Montreal can't match is something we wouldn't want to have ourselves.
Efficiency is only the means to an end, not the end itself. I believe the Flyers will ultimately need a #1 like Subban (but will be hard-pressed to get him), therefore an "overpay" is completely justifiable.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Efficiency is only the means to an end, not the end itself. I believe the Flyers will ultimately need a #1 like Subban (but will be hard-pressed to get him), therefore an "overpay" is completely justifiable.
Oh absolutely. However, they have more cap space than us and a bigger budget anyways. We need a #1 D, but I don't see how we can get it by offer-sheeting Montreal's main guy.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:16 AM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Subban is very underrated defensively and he has a lot of potential offensively and has already shown it at the NHL level. His attitude problems in the habs locker room and at the scrimmages have been overblown a lot too in case you guys were wondering. He was a headcase at first and still might be at times, but he has toned it down a lot since the beginning. I could see a team like Philly being great trading partners with the Habs for Subban, I don't know if your guys' powerplay always struggles like it did tonight from what I saw but Subban has 33 points on the PP out of his career total (76 pts) so he could definitely help you guys out there. He has a wicked shot, good puck handling skills (despite his rare giveaways in the defensive zones which are always dangerous), and he is a great hitter and passer, and like I said underrated defensively. I know I'm pumping his tires and making him sound like a top 10 defender in the league and trust me he's very far from it, but he has the potential to become one and I think one day he will make it there. He's only 23 and he came into the league at a young age and he's already in his 3rd season and that's when most people should be entering the league so he will only get better. As for the Subban for Couturier trade, I personally wouldn't do it because Subban has been our #1 D for two years now so unless it was a very tempting offer like Couturier + then I would take it only because Subban is just that important to us, but then it wouldn't be worth it for you guys since it would be an overpayment. Don't get me wrong here for wanting you guys to add to Couturier, he is an amazing player, I can't even imagine having him on the habs and I am 100% sure the rest of the habs fanbase feels that way but its a little hard to picture him on our team at the expense of Subban because our defense would be crippled and we'd be looking at a lottery pick.
Very nice read, and allot to agree on.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Oh for the days of 2004. Alas, Homer can't make an offer Montreal can't match. Particularly if he wants to be able to hold onto Giroux and some other guys when the time comes.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Damaged Goods

Please, Homer.

This contract offer has to be massive.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:15 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
PK would probably help on the PK. And Powerplay. And even strength.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
PK would probably help on the PK. And Powerplay. And even strength.
And he does have some goaltending genes apparently.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Subban demanding big bucks this early in his career is kind of ridiculous, not to mention he's one of the most immature defenseman in the league but I'm sure there's a team that will shell out the bucks.

FlyersFanz is online now   Reply With Quote