HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Red Army vs Bruins and Rangers 1975-76

Old
01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
darkhorse686

vCash: 500
Red Army vs Bruins and Rangers 1975-76

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts about the games that CSKA played against the Rangers and Bruins during the Super Series of 1976. All the discussions I ever see are about the games involving Montreal and Philly.

I've seen a portion of the Boston game and one figure that caught my attention was the Boston goalkeeper. He makes these two great saves early on and looks like he might actually be capable of handling the CSKA forwards unlike the two NHL goalies before him.

Any other thoughts on these overlooked matches?

darkhorse686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
I saw the Moscow team make entrance in Madison Square Garden and it was'nt a pretty sight. Fully to be expected of course, and kinda funny in hindsight. 7-3 i believe the score was to the hated ones.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:05 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Kharlamov scores a fantastic goal against the Rangers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7YBCXqu1I

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7511
amazing goal

Playerwinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
brianscot

Gilles Gilbert played goal in Boston for that game. Gilbert was, of course, a classic "when he's hot, he's very, very hot" goalie.

Like the other games in that 75-76 series, the Soviet's were totally outshot by the opposition, but Tretiak was well, Tretiak.

Ken Hodge was playing his last year in Boston and he'd fallen so out of favor with Don Cherry that he ended up on the 4th line with Doug Gibson and Hank Nowak.

The other bit of Boston note for me is that the Bruin's defense after Brad Park and Dallas Smith consisted of journeymen Darryl Edestrand, Gary Doak , and Al Sims. Ugh.

CSKA: Tretiak

Vasiliev – Gusev, Lutchenko – Tsygankov, Kuzkin – Volchenkov

Mikhailov – Maltsev – Kharlamov, Vikulov – Zhluktov – Alexandrov, Popov – Kutergin – Lobanov, Solodukhin, Volchkov

Boston Bruins: Gilbert

Park – D.Smith, Doak – Edestrand, Sims;

Schmautz – Ratelle– Marcotte, Bucyk – Sheppard – Cashman, O'Reilly – A.Savard – Forbes, Gibson – Hodge – Nowak

FIRST PERIOD
No Scoring

Penalties: Smith 16:03, Alexandrov 17:20.

SECOND PERIOD
1. Boston - Forbes 2:54
2. CSKA - Kharlamov (Maltsev) 4:41 PPG
3. CSKA - Kharlamov (Maltsev) 11:00
4. CSKA - Maltsev (Vasiliev) 13:19
5. Boston - Ratelle (Hodge) 17:31 PPG

Penalties: Schmautz 3:31, Cashman 11:00, Zhluktov 17:26.

THIRD PERIOD
6. CSKA - Tsygankov (Alexandrov, Vikulov) 0:43
7. CSKA - Alexandrov (Zhluktov) 8:58

Penalties: Tsygankov, Hodge 4:30, Schmautz 9:22

Shots:
Gilbert (Bos.) 8 5 6 - 19
Tretiak (CSKA) 19 8 13 - 40

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Bruins had the Soviets bottled up on the small Garden ice for most of the game. But when the Red Army did break out of their own zone it was usually an odd man rush.

Tretiak kept them in the game in the first period.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Theokritos

Originally posted in another thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=981079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
1975, Dec.28: New York Rangers – CSKA Moskva 3-7

Associated Press: „New York took a 1-0 lead after 21 seconds...Then they got a lesson in hockey fundamentals and strategy... sending in two men to forecheck didn't work – the Russians just went to longer breakout passes, leaving the New York forwards in their tracks... The Rangers continually made one pass too many, once wasting a 72-second period when they had two extra skaters through penalties... The Rangers were suffocated by the close Soviet defense and trailed 7-1 before Rod Gilbert and Phil Esposito scored late in the game.“

United Press International (Jack Saunders): „The Soviet Army hockey team came to the United States hoping to learn something in their games with National Hockey League teams. Sunday night, though, it were the New York Rangers who absorbed a lesson in how to play precision hockey.“

Konstantin Loktev, CSKA coach: „We didn't expect to win so easily. We anticipated facing a very strong type of hockey...The Rangers looked very heavy (sluggish). If they'd waited, instead of going in with just one or two forwards, they'd have improved more...They have a weight problem. They have a carriage problem in skating. They're not as fast as we are. They must improve their conditioning.“

Ron Stewart, Rangers coach: „They don't skate any faster than we do – they just go all the time. They have five men in motion at all times... They never give the puck to the man standing still. They move the puck better than we do... that referee was terrible. We did nothing to take four penalties to their none in the first period.“

Rick Middleton, right wing: „They really move the puck and they really skate...we knew they won't retaliate when they get hit – so we tried to intimidate them a little bit.“

Ron Greschner, defenseman: „They must not feel anything. If I got hit the way I was hitting them, I'd be crawling around the floor.“

Phil Esposito, left wing: „I don't think they dominated us. They were shooting out blind from their zone and we were getting caught...We killed them on faceoffs and we outshot them, but they outdid us on the scoreboards and that, unfortunately, is all that matters.“

John Davidson, goalkeeper: „They never shoot wide...they almost never just dumped the puck in our own zone and chased after it. They always carried it in.“

Steve Vickers, left wing: „I don't think even if we played our best game we would have beaten them.“

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...910,3855917&dq
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...850,6976561&dq
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...534,1935828&dq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
1976, Jan.8: Boston Bruins - CSKA Moskva 2-5

Konstantin Loktev, CSKA coach: „We are glad our team was able to show a good level of hockey. Our team looked quicker tonight. They played more concentrated hockey and if you noticed, our team has greatly improved their play after the first two games... I don't think the game was very rough despite some actions by Cashman that I thought were unnecessary. I feel the Canadians use their hands a lot.“

Harry Sinden, Bruins GM, on Tretiak: „He made us look harmless when we were in close and should have been dangerous.“

Don Cherry, Bruins coach: „They made me a believer... I was very impressed with their strenght...Their passing and their goaltending are extraordinary... They don't shoot the puck until they can put it in. They could have taken 12 more good shots.“ On Mikahilov: "I thought that was a very good Academy Award performance."

Wayne Cashman, right wing: „They're a great team, very consistent. They kept coming back at us... When Mikhailov held our goalie and then punched him, I hit him...He punched Gillie, he sat on him, he hit the stick out of his hand and the ref didn't call it.“

John Bucyk, left wing: „If the Russians played in the NHL on a regular basis, the good clubs could handle them, but not all of the time.“

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...043,2174904&dq
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...352,1806869&dq
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...736,4359015&dq

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:10 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
Gilles Gilbert played goal in Boston for that game. Gilbert was, of course, a classic "when he's hot, he's very, very hot" goalie.

Like the other games in that 75-76 series, the Soviet's were totally outshot by the opposition, but Tretiak was well, Tretiak.

Ken Hodge was playing his last year in Boston and he'd fallen so out of favor with Don Cherry that he ended up on the 4th line with Doug Gibson and Hank Nowak.

The other bit of Boston note for me is that the Bruin's defense after Brad Park and Dallas Smith consisted of journeymen Darryl Edestrand, Gary Doak , and Al Sims. Ugh.

CSKA: Tretiak

Vasiliev – Gusev, Lutchenko – Tsygankov, Kuzkin – Volchenkov

Mikhailov – Maltsev – Kharlamov, Vikulov – Zhluktov – Alexandrov, Popov – Kutergin – Lobanov, Solodukhin, Volchkov

Boston Bruins: Gilbert

Park – D.Smith, Doak – Edestrand, Sims;

Schmautz – Ratelle– Marcotte, Bucyk – Sheppard – Cashman, O'Reilly – A.Savard – Forbes, Gibson – Hodge – Nowak

FIRST PERIOD
No Scoring

Penalties: Smith 16:03, Alexandrov 17:20.

SECOND PERIOD
1. Boston - Forbes 2:54
2. CSKA - Kharlamov (Maltsev) 4:41 PPG
3. CSKA - Kharlamov (Maltsev) 11:00
4. CSKA - Maltsev (Vasiliev) 13:19
5. Boston - Ratelle (Hodge) 17:31 PPG

Penalties: Schmautz 3:31, Cashman 11:00, Zhluktov 17:26.

THIRD PERIOD
6. CSKA - Tsygankov (Alexandrov, Vikulov) 0:43
7. CSKA - Alexandrov (Zhluktov) 8:58

Penalties: Tsygankov, Hodge 4:30, Schmautz 9:22

Shots:
Gilbert (Bos.) 8 5 6 - 19
Tretiak (CSKA) 19 8 13 - 40
Hodge played center?

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Hodge played center?
Gibson was the center.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:47 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Gibson was the center.
Oh, I thought so....just the way it was laqid out in the original post. Don't even remember Gibson at all, even if he did play for the Braves and I saw a fair amount of those games.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:28 PM
alcoraces

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Kharlamov scores a fantastic goal against the Rangers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7YBCXqu1I
Nice defence there by #2. Obviously not Brad Park as he was long gone by then, can't tell who that was but he played that about as bad as a d-man possibly could. Still a nice goal though.

alcoraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:25 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

I love those Ranger quotes posted by Theokritos:

"They don't skate any faster than we do..."
"They really move the puck and they really skate."
And Espo: (paraphrase) 'We beat them at everything except the final score.'

And the Russian coach: "They have a weight problem. They have a carriage problem when skating."

Too much Xmas celebration for the Rangers?

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:38 AM
pbgoalie

My parents had season tickets at MSG and I was at the game against the
Rangers.
In warm ups, the Rangers came out and did a typical, at the time, NHL warm up.
Skate around counter clockwise for a bit, switch to counter clockwise for a bit,
and then line up and shoot to "warm-up" the goalie.

The Soviets came out for warm ups, did skating drills, passing drills and a few shooting drills.
Most of Tretyak's warm up looked as goalies do now. Stretching, and one or two players shooting. First low shots to work Tretyak in low corners (a hybrid butterfly), and then high shots for his gloves.

The Rangers watched the Soviets in bewilderment and a little amusement. I was playing youth hockey, and had never seen the speed and agility a number of Soviets displayed.

The Soviets totally outclassed the Rangers, at least as my 13 year old kid's memory has it

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:45 AM
pbgoalie

To give you an idea of a spoiled child's (hockey wise) upbringing.
We had tickets for this game
Seats for the Canada Cup game that the Soviets owned Canada
Seats behind the glass when the Soviets beat up TEam USA before Lake Placid

We also had tickets to the medal round at Lake Placid. A blind draw my parents entered.
Had 4 tickets to medal round game (I think) "B" and "d"
It turned out to be USA and Soviet Union
and Sweden USSR the next round

I got blown up in a HS game and ended up with a blood clot in my leg.
We couldn't go to Lake Placed (in hospital). When my dad passed away in 1995,
we found the unused tickets among his effects.

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:52 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Bruins had the Soviets bottled up on the small Garden ice for most of the game. But when the Red Army did break out of their own zone it was usually an odd man rush.

Tretiak kept them in the game in the first period.
Yes, but in a way, Gilbert kept Boston in the game in the 1st period too. Red Army might have had only 8 shots on goal (to Bruins' 19), but they were nearly all quality scoring chances.

The SOG numbers do tell something about the Russian defence, i.e. the lack of it, in the early/mid-Seventies: e.g. often it looks like they couldn't get the puck out of their own zone, even if their lives depended on it - except by icing the puck (which then resulted to a face-off in their zone, which they would often lose etc. etc.).

The Boston-CSKA game is the best of the bunch in my opinion; despite the final score, it was the most evenly played of the four games, and the pace at least looks a little faster than in the Montreal game.

Last edited by VMBM: 01-13-2013 at 09:58 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Yes, but in a way, Gilbert kept Boston in the game in the 1st period too. Red Army might have had only 8 shots on goal (to Bruins' 19), but they were nearly all quality scoring chances.

The SOG numbers do tell something about the Russian defence, i.e. the lack of it, in the early/mid-Seventies: e.g. often it looks like they couldn't get the puck out of their own zone, even if their lives depended on it - except by icing the puck (which then resulted to a face-off in their zone, which they would often lose etc. etc.).

The Boston-CSKA game is the best of the bunch in my opinion; despite the final score, it was the most evenly played of the four games, and the pace at least looks a little faster than in the Montreal game.
You're right, Gilbert stopped a couple of clear breakaways in the first period.

I really think the small Garden ice (along with the intense Bruins forecheck) made it a really new experience for the Soviets in their own zone, especially in the first period. But they eventually adjusted.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:11 PM
vadnais1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post

This game doesn't get the credit it deserves because of the final score. Both goaltenders were fantastic and the smaller ice surface and tenacious Boston forecheck gave the Red Army all it could handle. The shots on goal by Boston and the Red Army capitalizing on their scoring chances were similar to the Canadiens New Year's Eve game. I agree, the pace of the game (especially the first period) was probably as fast as any other game in the series.

vadnais1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
ICM1970

[QUOTE=vadnais1972;57603385]This game doesn't get the credit it deserves because of the final score. Both goaltenders were fantastic and the smaller ice surface and tenacious Boston forecheck gave the Red Army all it could handle.

Interesting, I certainly would like to see ESPN Classic dust off the videotape of this game and present it along with the Montreal and Philadelphia games.

ICM1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
vadnais1972

[QUOTE=ICM1970;57789833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadnais1972 View Post
This game doesn't get the credit it deserves because of the final score. Both goaltenders were fantastic and the smaller ice surface and tenacious Boston forecheck gave the Red Army all it could handle.

Interesting, I certainly would like to see ESPN Classic dust off the videotape of this game and present it along with the Montreal and Philadelphia games.
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Txy4u_b8ds

vadnais1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:48 PM
alcoraces

Hey thank you! That answers it.....#2 for the Rangers who played that so badly was Carol Vadnais!

A great NHL d-man though, he just didn't do so well on this one play.

alcoraces is offline   Reply With Quote