Couldn't Find a Player Inquiry Thread, David Moss

Old
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
Couldn't Find a Player Inquiry Thread, David Moss

Hey all,
What can us Coyote fans expect from a healthy David Moss? Point projection? Strengths? Weaknesses? Please and thank you!

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

vCash: 50
I'd like to tell you what a healthy David Moss is like, but we honestly don't know. He has hands of stone and no finish; a very frustrating player to watch IMO. A good Pker tho and is good on the forecheck. He's a top 9 guy with decent size and average speed. I can't say I miss him TBH. Wish him all the luck tho.

Not sure if you guys are playing him in the top 6 or bottom 6 but don't expect much offence. In a 48 game season I'd predict - 10 G 11 A 21 PTS

Last edited by CoRD: 01-12-2013 at 03:05 PM.
CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:54 PM
CalgaryFlames1240

I actually really liked Moss for some reason. Preferably a 3rd liner but can fill in for top 6 when injuries occur. Good guy to put in front of the net on the PP. Really good hand-eye. Not too spectacular but a solid big player. Can play on the PK too and is pretty solid at faceoffs considering he is listed as a winger.

CalgaryFlames1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:56 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
The chances of seeing a healthy David Moss over a full season are monumentally small. Although having a shortened schedule may help in that regard.

I disagree with Cord in respect to his skating abilities. He has very good top end speed, but needs to utilize it in dump and chase scenario's. He battles extremely hard in all three zones of the ice, and can play the role of a net front presence on the PP to varying degrees of success. His ability to control the puck at high speeds or in the offensive zone are definitely below average for a top nine player in the NHL, and he certainly struggles with his vision at times. His shot is one of his strengths and it will allow him to score at a respectable rate so long as he stays healthy. He plays a very simple straight forward game.

All in all (assuming 100% health), He is a good third line point producer and penalty killer that in a pinch can fill into the top six in case of injuries.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:21 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Wouldn't expect any more than 20 points for Moss this year. Decent third line player who can contribute on the score sheet once and a while. Would be a much better NHL player if he had hands.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:24 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

As long as you don't put him as a #1 center, you'll be fine. He's a good top 9 guy who is decent on the PK.

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Noori

Strengths:

He's got size and speed; an excellent skater for a big man. He plays a hard game whether it's driving hard to the net, blocking a shot, etc. He's a good utility player that can play any role asked of him. In Calgary, he played everything from number one center to fourth line wing.

Weaknesses:

He has no hands. None, zero, zilch! And he has an incredibly weak shot as well. Quite a feat that he actually managed to score 20 goals once. And he's extremely injury prone as well, so there's that.

Projection:

In a 48 game season, I'd expect 15-20 points.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:09 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Expect an ankle injury in the 10th game of the season. When healthy he is good at cleaning up garbage in front of the net.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:12 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
If I recall Moss had the best, if not nearly the best two way game for our team last year, as indicated in his corsi numbers. He's a perfect Yote. He works hard, buys into the system, and plays his teammates well. Like everyone else said, he's not overly offensive, but be once scored 20 goals because he got in front of the crease, put the puck on net, and had some bounces go his way.

Staying healthy is hard for Moss and therefore getting into a groove is tough for Moss as well.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
As long as you don't put him as a #1 center, you'll be fine. He's a good top 9 guy who is decent on the PK.
Thanks to this post, I experienced a flash of PTSD.

Until reading this post, I had buried that memory deep in the black depths of my subconscious, and it came roaring back like a bad Mexican chimichanga the next day.

As for Moss, poor man's Holmstrom, with stonier hands, but he keeps his stick on the ice and is often Johnny on the Spot.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Northern Neighbour

Another weakness of his is that he has tunnel vision. When he gets the puck, he pretty much just shoots it on goal. Which leads to a second weakness - he has pretty much zero playmaking ability. However, he's a gritty, hard-nosed player that will battle for pucks in corners, go to the front of the net, and score garbage goals. As mentioned, he's a good PKer and a solid role player.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

He'll likely see more icetime with Phoenix, and I think he fits the system well. In 36 games, I'll say 16 goals, 9 assists.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:10 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
He'll likely see more icetime with Phoenix, and I think he fits the system well. In 36 games, I'll say 16 goals, 9 assists.
16 goals in 36 games, thats a 30+ goal season?

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
16 goals in 36 games, thats a 30+ goal season?
Ya there's no way he scores more than 12 in a 48 game season.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:34 PM
BVicious

He's good in front of the net. That's it. Lots of pucks bounce off him and go in. That's how he scored 20.

I did however appreciate is corner battles and cycle ability in the offensive zone.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:07 AM
ALI

I wish we kept moss over jackman

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
I wish we kept moss over jackman
I would have gladly taken Moss over Comeau or Stempniak.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:57 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
I would have gladly taken Moss over Comeau or Stempniak.
Just pretend he's on the IR.

There are 2.1 million reasons he's not here.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:57 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
He's super average offensively, but he's very good along the boards, good at puck protection, and excellent defensively given his overall abilities. He's basically the perfect third liner, and he's an okay top-6 fill-in. Only problem anyone ever had with him is that he's made of glass; and not tough glass, either.

2.1m is good for him if he was a 75+ game player, but it's not so great with his injury history.

@Calculon: I think Comeau is comparable to Moss, actually, with the main difference that Comeau is dumber/more penalty prone, but faster/rowdier.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:55 AM
FlamesFreak4
Sven'sational!

Quote:
I was a pretty big fan of Moss when he was here, and that almost had me spit out my cheerios!

Like others have said, great 2 way player, should work out quite well on the 'Yotes.
If i had to predict some numbers, aslong as he stays healthy for the 48 games, i'd go with 9g 10a 19pts

FlamesFreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Just pretend he's on the IR.

There are 2.1 million reasons he's not here.
Eh, Stempniak gets 2M to be wasted on the 4th line. And Comeau gets 1.25M to skate around in circles and then throw the puck aimlessly at the net. At least Moss on the 4th line would be a more effective player and lead to a more effective line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
@Calculon: I think Comeau is comparable to Moss, actually, with the main difference that Comeau is dumber/more penalty prone, but faster/rowdier.
Comeau is faster, but Moss is grittier. But the injury concerns are an issue, no question.

On the other hand, If Bouma was healthy, I wouldn't have been opposed to letting all three players (Moss, Stempniak and Comeau) walk and having a 4th line of Bouma-Horak/Jones-Jackman/Aliu/Byron.

The Flames have too many NHL calibre bodies. Hopefully we see some trades to clear up the logjam.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
The Flames have too many NHL calibre bodies.
Not necessarily a bad thing.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Yeah, it's good for training camp competition. But I think, the Flames prospect pool has improved enough that the Flames don't need to have 3 healthy scratches a night for fear of injury, since they have NHL calibre players in the AHL. If a player like Stempniak or Comeau or Byron can garner a pick in trade, I would hope they would be moved.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:04 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Yeah, it's good for training camp competition. But I think, the Flames prospect pool has improved enough that the Flames don't need to have 3 healthy scratches a night for fear of injury, since they have NHL calibre players in the AHL. If a player like Stempniak or Comeau or Byron can garner a pick in trade, I would hope they would be moved.
We saw huge opportunity last year and realized we are very vulnerable during injuries and lack NHL ready prospects. Horak has been the only person who has stepped their game up

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:16 AM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
Quote:
Looking at that schedule, I can't but agree... bodies will be breaking down at some point. I just don't want to see guys like Kolanos in Flames silks this year.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote