HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NY Post: Conn. Gov Pursuing NHL Franchise for Hartford

Old
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

vCash: 500
^^^That may have been true years ago but I live in SE CT and I don't get MSG on my cable system. in fact there is only a 30 min difference in travel time from MSG and the TD garden in boston for me.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Sounds like a long shot and it's news just to coincide with the end of the lockout trying to relate it with the possible return oaf the Whalers.

It reminds me, anyone have any update on how the lease negotiations with the AHL's Whale are doing? My understanding is it wasn't going too well.
Whale lease expires after this season's caulder cup completes as far as I know. Personally, I LOVE XLCenter. The area around it is nice and small, has some good places to eat, and is totaly bumping on a saturday night. Don't see why some low priced tickets wouldn't help the town. Beyond that, there are plenty of Hockey fans, but they don't go to Whale games because... the whale is lower caliber hockey. plain and simple. UConn hockey is nice, but a new arena would be a good boost for them. There are also several colleges in the area that could benefit from a new state of the art arena (something like Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport CT, which BTW fills about 50-70% capacity of its 8500 seats on standard game nights in the beginning of the AHL season... Imagine those numbers later in the season, then imagine the numbers for an NHL team on National TV)

Furthermore, I don't see a reason why XLCenter cannot be renovated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
nonsense.. The team worked for over 15 years in Hartford. Yes it's diffcult and no they didn't have sellouts every night but it was a passionate fanbase.

If you wanna say it won't work out because the fans moved on fine.. I'd even say that no other sports team would work here but the NHL has.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I live in CT.

The NHL here is not going to work.

When you sit, in route between Boston and New York, two O6 Franchises, the fan base that you hope to tap into is beyond miniscule.

There is no Baseball team here - Yankees and Red Sox
There is no Basketball team here - Knicks and Celtics
There is no Football team here - Giants and Patriots

Hockey? - Rangers and Bruins

Never going to work.
Do you think season ticket holders want a 2 hour travel to see their favorite team? Besides that, this is the Northeast we are talking about. We are CRAMMED with people, which means plenty of POTENTIAL HOCKEY FANS, especially for Richy rich CT residents, coupled with the fact that the NHL now has a national TV deal, which back in the later Whalers days, it did not have (AFAIK)

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:14 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
Hartford is usually the demarkation line of sports allegiances. People who live south and/or west of it are usually NY sports fans, those who are north and/or east of it are usually Boston fans. John Quick, Max Pacioretty, and Chris Drury all grew up in the part of CT that's more or less an NYC suburb and all grew up as Rangers fans. I think part of the Whalers problem was the TV deal -- if you lived close to NYC as they did/I do, you got Rangers/Islanders/Devils broadcasts and not Whalers ones. Only recently have I started getting NESN for the Boston teams too. If there was ever a team in Hartford, they'd need to figure out their broadcasting situation.
Easy, Comcast New England, they were on that channel years ago when it was something else.

wildthing202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:48 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Isn't/Doesn't the University of Connecticut already use XL, and there are plans to bring the Connecticut hockey team to XL just as the both major basketball programs do by 2015

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Isn't/Doesn't the University of Connecticut already use XL, and there are plans to bring the Connecticut hockey team to XL just as the both major basketball programs do by 2015
yes but the better option for Uconn Hockey is to be in a smaller, new arena on campus. The XL center is frankly too big for a program that is moving up to the best college conference

The XL center is not viable, attractive arena for anything really..

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Beyond that, there are plenty of Hockey fans, but they don't go to Whale games because... the whale is lower caliber hockey. plain and simple.
All too true, it's sometimes rough to watch. Overall though I enjoy the AHL, but there's many reasons why it's having trouble in Hartford:

A. The Rangers affiliation
B. Lack of marketing since AEG began to manage the XL Center in 2007
C. The XL Center itself lends no entertainment element to the customer and actually acts as a deterrent IMO. Not to mention the capacity is much to large for AHL hockey.
D. The idea of players coming and going. "Playing there way out of Hartford"
E. Prices in the arena are absurd $9 for a Beer, $10 for 3 chicken tenders and fries, etc.
F. Lack of quality opponents/No rivalries

UConn Hockey IMO will be much better received than the AHL in the Hartford marketplace. Big rivalries with BU, BC, QU, Maine not to mention it truly will be a CT team not Rangers hockey.

NHL Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
When you sit, in route between Boston and New York, two O6 Franchises, the fan base that you hope to tap into is beyond miniscule.

There is no Baseball team here - Yankees and Red Sox
There is no Basketball team here - Knicks and Celtics
There is no Football team here - Giants and Patriots

Hockey? - Rangers and Bruins

Never going to work.
That's what I think. The Whalers survived in a different era with much lower costs. How would a new team sandwiched in between two O-6 juggernauts successfully carve out a fanbase & market for itself? It would be a very, very tall order, and not a good long-term bet.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:17 PM
smithy

I live in Connecticut (ignore the location) and I'm not sure that a team would work here again. The closest comparison in terms of the nature of the state would be to Long Island. On top of that, unlike Long Island which is a "cul de sac," Connecticut is flanked on either side by major sports markets. You have an Ottawa Senators-like situation where you've got most of the state already aligned with the "Leafs" (Rangers) and "Habs" (Bruins) which will slow down growth (although presumably old Whale fans will come back). Lots of issues with the market. That said, this is a wealthy population and people here LOVE hockey. So it could work.

smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy View Post
Lots of issues with the market. That said, this is a wealthy population and people here LOVE hockey. So it could work.
People here LOVE hockey? Most people I know have little, or no, interest in hockey.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Anton Antoff

Put a second team in Raleigh

Anton Antoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
smithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
People here LOVE hockey? Most people I know have little, or no, interest in hockey.
I live in southern CT and hockey appears to be really popular in the New Haven/Bridgeport area. Not just college hockey, but hockey (and the NHL) itself. I suppose that's just anecdotal evidence, but yours is too, so there we go.

Edit: Mostly what I've noticed is that families enjoy hockey and kids actually play hockey. Pretty rare for the US.

Last edited by smithy: 01-11-2013 at 11:22 PM.
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:48 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy View Post
I live in southern CT and hockey appears to be really popular in the New Haven/Bridgeport area. Not just college hockey, but hockey (and the NHL) itself. I suppose that's just anecdotal evidence, but yours is too, so there we go.

Edit: Mostly what I've noticed is that families enjoy hockey and kids actually play hockey. Pretty rare for the US.
I've lived my entire life in New Haven county, was a season ticket holder for the New Haven Nighthawks, Beast of New Haven, New Haven Knights and have attended many other high school, college, AHL, and NHL games in the state, so I think that I have knowledge of the situation here. I am currently employed at a company that has over 300 employees on site. If I got $10 for every person working there who liked hockey, I would be lucky to have $100.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote