HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 11:31 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
He's offensively limited. Making sure getting the puck on net is a much safer/easier option than passing the puck.
I won't disagree with you, but there are limited players like Hansen who improve their offensive output by passing when they see it as a higher percentage play. Sure they can miss it, but trying to get someone else to have a better shot is usually a step up on taking a pea shot from the boards.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:41 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I won't disagree with you, but there are limited players like Hansen who improve their offensive output by passing when they see it as a higher percentage play. Sure they can miss it, but trying to get someone else to have a better shot is usually a step up on taking a pea shot from the boards.
I agree. I just think Lapierre is much more comfortable making the play he's most comfortable with. The only way for this to change is more play time. This is the season he can breakout offensively given his opportunity at 3rd line C.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:36 AM
orcatown

At the game tonight and given the depleted Wolves lineup and the fact that players like Brodie and Horak were still in the Heat lineup, I figured we'd get creamed.

However, the Wolves, backed up by sensational play from Climie, had a very good overall defensive effort and were good value for the 3 - 1 win.

Standouts for me were Climie, Sterling, Gordon and Hunt. Sterling had a first period hat trick and could have had more goals during the game. He also made real good setups to Gordon and Haydar, who I felt should have put some of those chances away. Sterling was dangerous all night and looked Baertschi-like in this game.

Gordon has been a stud since moving to center and it now looks like he should have been there all along. This line has been a damn site better and more dangerous with Gordon at center than it was with Ebbett. One thing Gordon can do is get down in traffic and create space for Haydar and Sterling. This is far less of perimeter line than earlier in the season.

Hunt really had a great game. His puck movement from the point is by far the best on the team. Also, he really played stellar on defense and did a great job of backing up Polosek and helping him out of trouble. Too bad he isn't a little bigger because Hunt has great mobility, skill with the puck and a hard accurate shot from the point. There is no doubt who is the PP QB on this team and since he took over at the point the PP has dramatically improved.

Others with good efforts include"

Andersson - again showed good range and good coverage around his net. I don't think he is that far away. Needs to add strength and maybe a little more offensive trust. Like the way he made clever little passes to get the team out of trouble in this game

Friesen - almost had his first goal in this game. Has definitely improved and seemingly much more able to stay up and in the play. Was decent on the forecheck and played smart defensive game. His line with Davies and Archibald created an number of chances and were unlucky not to score. Fact that you have got a line with what appeared, at the beginning of the season, to be a bunch of ECHL players playing fairly well at the AHL level is encouraging.

Others

Polosek

Had some hiccups but generally ok. Still has moments were coverage lacks and he needs to be more instinctive in his play. However, went to the body well and his puck movement was competent. Hopefully gets the time this year to solidify himself at this level. I'd say a good start for Polosek

Kettalus - Made some nice set ups in the game and competed hard. However, needs to be stronger on his skates and you have to figure over the long haul he will have difficulty keeping up. Could say the same thing about Kenton Miller. Both, in my mind, clarify the difference b/w AHL and ECHL hockey but hopefully they can fill in present holes in the lineup. Fact that Schneider got benched after the warm up in favour of Kettelus tells you something about were Schneider ranks in the scheme of things.

Sweatt - I'm beginning to wonder if this player sticks once the Wolves get everybody back. He just gets nothing done and doesn't even look that fast anymore. He had clear problems in getting the puck out of his zone and did nothing offensively. Maybe the head injury has sapped any vitality out of his play but he looks disinterested and useless at the moment.

Rodin - tale of two zones. Bad in the defensive zone and not bad in the offensive zone. Had some good shifts were he controlled the puck in the offensive zone and forced some turnovers leading to chances (which line mates such as Sweatt should have done more with) . However, obviously jumps away from contact along the boards in his zone and doesn't get the puck out. Also, he made a couple of poor and half-hearted changes later in the game. Seems to lack stamina. Some things he does makes you question his attitude and you get to wonder if he is a bit of a head case. Maybe that's too speculative but seems to me that Rodin strays from a team concept at times.

Another aspect of this game was the terrible play of Leland Irving. I was hoping they would leave him in so some of Wolves could fatten their averages. You have to wonder what's happen to this player. Looked good to be in Calgary this year but now looks like write off.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Filiatron

^Thanks for the recap Orca.
Love those posts from you, Feebster and Tiranis.
That's why I lurk here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Was the level of play seriously that much better with the lockout in the AHL that these AHL stars couldn't keep up?
Good question.
What a swing for the AHL during this NHL training camp, going from having some players who belong in the NHL to having line ups that look like their parent club is decimated by injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenInBlack View Post
I'm not sure about the other games, but the Heat's goalie was pulled after letting in 3 goals from ~10 shots. Sounds like the he kind of stunk it up.
Two of the goals were deflected/ tipped. the other was a centering pass that looked like it bounced of his defensman. Not a good game but, also bad luck.

PS. Was at the game last night; took my daughter to her first game. She thanked me many more times than my boys ever did. The tickets were one of my Christmas presents.
Too bad the big prospects were missing. Oh well, got to see more of some of the middling prospects.

Last edited by Filiatron: 01-12-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
01-12-2013, 01:00 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Nemisz is a crap prospect who happened to play on the Windsor Spitfires in the Hall era.
Still he has had 30ish points in his last 2 AHL seasons... what happened this season?

Old
01-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Schroeder View Post
^Thanks for the recap Orca.
Love those posts from you, Feebster and Tiranis.
That's why I lurk here.
I want to echo this. If I were as confident with my hockey analysis I would perhaps not lurk as much/post more; but each one does a bang-up job!

I hope none of them goes all stick-n-rink/Wetcoaster on us ever.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Still he has had 30ish points in his last 2 AHL seasons... what happened this season?
Same answer as to why the AHL vets are suddenly producing again: level of competition has been significantly higher this season. For those of you who have only seen games this season that wouldn't be apparent, but anyone that watched the AHL last year or before and then this year could tell you just how much faster it was for those ~30 games. The physical level of the AHL has always been comparable to the NHL, it's the speed and precision that hasn't been there. This year they certainly ramped up the speed.

In fact, I think that, at even strength, some of these AHL teams could've probably competed with the Blue Jackets and other similar bottom dwelling teams. I certainly wouldn't come anywhere close to saying something like that about last season's AHL.

Last edited by Tiranis: 01-12-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 06:56 PM
galiano

Chicago and Abbotsford on Sportsnet tonight. What sort of lineup can the Wolves ice ?

Who to watch ? Are there any Canuck prospects left on the Wolves ?

Old
01-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
Chicago and Abbotsford on Sportsnet tonight. What sort of lineup can the Wolves ice ?

Who to watch ? Are there any Canuck prospects left on the Wolves ?
From last night:

Quote:
Kevin Connauton,Andrew Ebbett, Zack Kassian,Jordan Schroeder and Chris Tanev are out of the lineup
doubt any of them will be in tonight. So guys like Rodin, Sauve, Sweatt, Andersson I'd imagine.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Tiranis

Archibald, Andersson and Polasek are probably my favourites of the ones that are left. Don't really know what to think of Rodin at this point.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:01 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Rodin - tale of two zones. Bad in the defensive zone and not bad in the offensive zone. Had some good shifts were he controlled the puck in the offensive zone and forced some turnovers leading to chances (which line mates such as Sweatt should have done more with) . However, obviously jumps away from contact along the boards in his zone and doesn't get the puck out. Also, he made a couple of poor and half-hearted changes later in the game. Seems to lack stamina. Some things he does makes you question his attitude and you get to wonder if he is a bit of a head case. Maybe that's too speculative but seems to me that Rodin strays from a team concept at times.
The bolded has been pretty much my exact take on Rodin - not a great thing to say, but my feeling is unfortunately that he's a pretty gutless player.

His speed can be dazzling if he has an open stretch of ice in front of him and no opposing players around him. But if he has to carry the puck into a group of players, or has an opportunity to blow through a narrow hole between an opposing defender and the boards ... he bails. Throws the brakes on and gives up on the play. Will not take a hit to make a play.

If he had the heart to use his skating ability to attack the opposition and take the puck into high-traffic areas, he could be a player. But he doesn't, and that's why he only has 1 goal this year and is turning into a write-off.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:21 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
The bolded has been pretty much my exact take on Rodin - not a great thing to say, but my feeling is unfortunately that he's a pretty gutless player.

His speed can be dazzling if he has an open stretch of ice in front of him and no opposing players around him. But if he has to carry the puck into a group of players, or has an opportunity to blow through a narrow hole between an opposing defender and the boards ... he bails. Throws the brakes on and gives up on the play. Will not take a hit to make a play.

If he had the heart to use his skating ability to attack the opposition and take the puck into high-traffic areas, he could be a player. But he doesn't, and that's why he only has 1 goal this year and is turning into a write-off.

This issue has come up after his shoulder injury a few years back. When he played great at the WJC a few years ago the big thing that came from that tourney was he was fearless/hard working/tireless worker. He's not playing against men but kids these days are giant at these events. Hopefully he can gain some confidence again because if he doesn't fix his current problems he'll be a write off very soon.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
What the hell?

No one watching the game? I rely you on you guys for updates on what I miss you know.

01-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
What the hell?

No one watching the game? I rely you on you guys for updates on what I miss you know.
I missed most of the first period so I didn't see the Wolves' goal. Climie has been very solid.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:01 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
What the hell?

I forgot it was on, am back to watch now. In intermission, Wolves up 1-0 on goal by Gordon.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
It's too late. The damage is done. You guys have wounded me.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:05 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
It's too late. The damage is done. You guys have wounded me.
Sure you weren't just winged?

Fight the emotion CM!!!

Old
01-12-2013, 10:06 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Dumb penalty by Joslin yeesh.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Heat look terrible without their main kids.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:12 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Wow Gordon with a big hit.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:13 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Good defensive play by Andersson to stop a partial breakaway.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:20 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Climie playing very well.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:29 PM
bobbyb2009

So frustrating watching this feed that I am watching. The announcers have not done there homework- they can't even name the Wolves players...

Only Wolves commentary or obvious comments.

I can't read the names and I have not spent enough time watching this group and want to hear who the guys are on and off the puck

Old
01-12-2013, 10:40 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Wolves badly outshot in period 2 but still 1-0 on the strength of Climie's play.

Only real noticeable Wolves were Gordon and Sweatt that period, besides Climie.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:59 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Archibald is really good at protecting the puck. Not a very good skater.

Closed Thread