HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 500
Is it possible to walk on the gilles villeneuce circuit?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:50 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Is it possible to walk on the gilles villeneuce circuit?
Absolutely, I did that last year (wife and I are big F1 fans). It's even more fun during the warmer months to get a bike and ride along it, though the amateur racing teams are really annoying.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

I'm coming to Montreal on Friday. I'll be there until Sunday.

Can't wait.

You guys have an amazing city.

Even though the Habs suck.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

New Yorker here ... I've been to Montreal twice ... might be coming this winter for my third time (hopefully to see a Habs game) ... Haven't been to MTL in about 7+ years ... I'm sure a lot has changed. Can't wait to get there again, should be a blast. Anything recommended that's fairly new? Bars? Good eats? Things to check out?

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
New Yorker here ... I've been to Montreal twice ... might be coming this winter for my third time (hopefully to see a Habs game) ... Haven't been to MTL in about 7+ years ... I'm sure a lot has changed. Can't wait to get there again, should be a blast. Anything recommended that's fairly new? Bars? Good eats? Things to check out?
Restaurants, bars and clubs come and go as often as habs coaches do so yeah everything has changed since. I could recommend places to go but since there's just too many choices and everytime I did it for other posters on this thread no one really cared or bothered to thank me, I'll just say this... Mont-Royal avenue for eats, Boulevard St-Laurent for bars, Boulevard St-Denis between St-Catherines and Sherbrooke for bars ( Latin Quarter ) or ( Quartier Latin ) in french.

That's all you need to know, just park your car or take the subway and enjoy the walk and check-in wherever the ambiance looks right.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:26 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Restaurants, bars and clubs come and go as often as habs coaches do so yeah everything has changed since. I could recommend places to go but since there's just too many choices and everytime I did it for other posters on this thread no one really cared or bothered to thank me, I'll just say this... Mont-Royal avenue for eats, Boulevard St-Laurent for bars, Boulevard St-Denis between St-Catherines and Sherbrooke for bars ( Latin Quarter ) or ( Quartier Latin ) in french.

That's all you need to know, just park your car or take the subway and enjoy the walk and check-in wherever the ambiance looks right.
Sweet! Thanks! Hoping the game I get to go to is Habs/Rangers ... and hopefully nobody will kill me for wearing my Rangers gear. If I can't get that game, I will try and get Habs v PIT/PHI/NJ and cheer for MTL.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Sweet! Thanks! Hoping the game I get to go to is Habs/Rangers ... and hopefully nobody will kill me for wearing my Rangers gear. If I can't get that game, I will try and get Habs v PIT/PHI/NJ and cheer for MTL.
Good game!

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:30 PM
playasRus

Any particular places to watch games you guys would recommend? Faily new in town. And I don't mean Habs games ;P.

I'm assuming most sports bars will play the Sens game this weekend considering it's not at the same time ast the Habs game.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:35 AM
drivefor25

Wake Up Morning Show

Listening to the 690 morning show has become an absolute boredom ever since Casavant left. I thought with the lockout over and hockey coming back the show would have received a jolt of energy over the past week but not so...still the same old boring rants, useless conversations between the three of them, and overall lifelessness - I almost fell asleep driving this morning.

drivefor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:07 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Any particular places to watch games you guys would recommend? Faily new in town. And I don't mean Habs games ;P.

I'm assuming most sports bars will play the Sens game this weekend considering it's not at the same time ast the Habs game.
Big sports bar like the MVP (St-Catherine, between St-Denis and St-Laurent) and the Stations Sportives (Two on St-Catherine, one in the Gay village, the other near Atwater) will show them if they are not at the same time of a habs game.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
habsfantoronto
Ducks GM

I'm heading to Quebec City on February 2nd for my honeymoon. I'm staying in Old Quebec near Chateau Frontenac. I know there is Carnival and I'm going to check out the usual sites, but I'm wondering about food. Don't want to spend a lot and my fiancée has egg and dairy allergies. Any recommendations for food? Anyone live there and has the inside scoop?

habsfantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
habsfantoronto
Ducks GM

Also, where should I watch a game?

habsfantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:50 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Big sports bar like the MVP (St-Catherine, between St-Denis and St-Laurent) and the Stations Sportives (Two on St-Catherine, one in the Gay village, the other near Atwater) will show them if they are not at the same time of a habs game.
Thanks! I think I'll try sportsstation!

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Mynameismark*

I think Starr sucks, and ever since Brid came on they've been trying to be comedians, Price especially.

Marinaro is still annoying and never lets anyone talk after he asks them something.

I never cared for Tieman, as he had a dull show where all he ever did was open the lines for callers and steal the idea from the previous show.

PJ Stock was loads better and had interesting Hockey stories, not to mention he did rile people up and that created interesting radio.

The young guys are dull, especially that greek guy. They talk about the internet and betting and social networks.

As for Melnick, the guy barely works. Can you really call it Melnick in the afternoon? He's always off. And he plays way too much Dylan.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Odelein24

I think you'll have to wait for the season to actually start before you get some decent radio.

As for the rest, I liked Tony/PJ way more than Tony/Randy.
I can't stand Simon Selikis (spelling??).
I do enjoy Melnick and his co-hosts, they have great chemistry with all their regular guests (LeBrun, Friedman, etc).
I really enjoy when Bartlet fills in in the afternoon too.

Odelein24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Hemlor

I don't understand how TSN can keep the current radio guys. I think they need an overhaul of all the shows (except maybe Melnyk). The morning guys are a joke, and Marinaro is awful. During the lockout I didn't listen at all, and for the last week I've tried to listen a little in the morning, but it hasn't improved. I do like the Hab's coverage, and I really like the McKenzie/Dreger segments, but it isn't enough to keep me as a listener. I compare these guys to TSN Toronto radio, and Sportsnet radio, and it's not even close. Much more professional, and a much better listening experience in my opinion. The only problem with the Toronto guys is that it's a lot of Leafs talk, which sucks.

I want to be a TSN 690 listener, because I like, and appreciate the Habs talk, but I can't stand the hosts

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Mick11

"The Bell Centre's guided tours are available Monday through Sunday, from 9:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. in French"

Is it the same when the habs play at 2PM ? I have tickets for the Sabres game on Feb 2nd.

Mick11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:52 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick11 View Post
"The Bell Centre's guided tours are available Monday through Sunday, from 9:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. in French"

Is it the same when the habs play at 2PM ? I have tickets for the Sabres game on Feb 2nd.
I don't think they do tours on gameday on SB weekend, because of the games early start times...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Bob Cole

Im moving to Montreal this Summer since I got a job in the West Island.

Im looking at potential golf courses to get a membership. Would prefer a course near the West Island. Anyone have any personal experiences that they can share?

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

soooo....how about that super sex...lots of stuff goin on there huh

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
callinm

Hey all,

I'm a Flyers STH from Philly coming up this Friday-Sunday to visit Montreal for the first time and take in the Habs/Leafs game on Saturday night (first time in the centre bell - have prestige level tickets!) We'll have all of Friday & Saturday to take in the city, however. What would you suggest for first-time-visitors to take in?

A couple friends have already suggested the forum, underground mall, st. catherine street, the ice bar, etc. Is there anything else that would be appropriate?

We're avid beer drinkers - so, naturally, any restaurants/bars/tours would be appropriate. I've been doing some research on my own.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait for the trip. It's been on my bucket list for a very long time.

callinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by callinm View Post
Hey all,

I'm a Flyers STH from Philly coming up this Friday-Sunday to visit Montreal for the first time and take in the Habs/Leafs game on Saturday night (first time in the centre bell - have prestige level tickets!) We'll have all of Friday & Saturday to take in the city, however. What would you suggest for first-time-visitors to take in?

A couple friends have already suggested the forum, underground mall, st. catherine street, the ice bar, etc. Is there anything else that would be appropriate?

We're avid beer drinkers - so, naturally, any restaurants/bars/tours would be appropriate. I've been doing some research on my own.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait for the trip. It's been on my bucket list for a very long time.
You should check out Old Montreal, they have lots of good restaurants there.

Other streets to check out: Saint-Laurent, St-Denis

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:31 PM
callinm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
You should check out Old Montreal, they have lots of good restaurants there.

Other streets to check out: Saint-Laurent, St-Denis
I looked into them a little bit; thanks for the tip! Will keep doing some research.

callinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
mti79

Out of Towner Looking for Advice

Hey all,
Rangers fan coming in peace just looking for some information. My wife and I love to go to away games because we want to eventually see all the arenas in the NHL. For years, we've been told that we had to go to Montreal and we've never been able to make it work. This finally seems to be the year that we'll be able to pull it off. We're looking at the Saturday, March 30 game. So, first of all... what is the best way to get tickets? Stubhub is my guess. Does it matter where we sit? Saw some seats in the "Molson Ex Zone" and I can't find any information about what that section entails. I saw that the Family Section is half kids, so we'll pass on that. We're very polite, don't cause a scene, won't start any trouble. We pretty much watch the game, cheer when(if) the Rangers do anything and enjoy hockey. Watching games at the Bell Centre on TV and hearing the crowd, we're excited to actually be there and witness it in person.

So... looking for advice on where to sit, where to get tickets and then where to stay and any good restaurants that we should hit. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide me.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Hey all,
Rangers fan coming in peace just looking for some information. My wife and I love to go to away games because we want to eventually see all the arenas in the NHL. For years, we've been told that we had to go to Montreal and we've never been able to make it work. This finally seems to be the year that we'll be able to pull it off. We're looking at the Saturday, March 30 game. So, first of all... what is the best way to get tickets? Stubhub is my guess. Does it matter where we sit? Saw some seats in the "Molson Ex Zone" and I can't find any information about what that section entails. I saw that the Family Section is half kids, so we'll pass on that. We're very polite, don't cause a scene, won't start any trouble. We pretty much watch the game, cheer when(if) the Rangers do anything and enjoy hockey. Watching games at the Bell Centre on TV and hearing the crowd, we're excited to actually be there and witness it in person.

So... looking for advice on where to sit, where to get tickets and then where to stay and any good restaurants that we should hit. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide me.
Then my advice would be to go see Phoenix now.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote