HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Jets Lounge | Now with 92.7% Less Football!

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
Had a fantasy hockey draft last night, yahoo 12 team head to head.

fwd: Stamkos, Kopitar, B. Ryan, Moulson, Eriksson, St. Louis, J. Benn, Parenteau, Michalek, Ryder, Dubinsky, R. O'Reilly
D: Streit, J. Johnson, Timmonen, Salo, Bogosian

G: Schneider, Pavelec
This is a risky pick, could work out, but there's a pretty decent chance he does not come back to NA this season...

And your defense is an injury waiting to happen, I'm sorry to say

Old
01-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Here's mine for a random Yahoo league.

Fwds: Anze Kopitar, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Ray Whitney, Patrik Elias, Phil Kessel, Marty St. Louis, Blake Wheeler, Teemu Selanne, Tomas Fleischmann, and took a flyer on Galchenyuk

Def: Shea Weber, Jason Garrison, Andrei Markov, Brent Seabrook

Goalies: Jonathan Quick, Ondrej Pavelec

01-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Just saw a tweet from Phil Housley. His profile pic on Twitter is him in a Jets jersey. He is my favorite all time Jets defenseman and I love A LOT of Jets D's. What a beauty.

01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Just saw a tweet from Phil Housley. His profile pic on Twitter is him in a Jets jersey. He is my favorite all time Jets defenseman and I love A LOT of Jets D's. What a beauty.
wonder if Phil got a chance to talk to Trouba about playing in Winnipeg? I know pre-tourney last summer Phil was saying how good Trouba's game was and Phil had a quote specifially about Jacob's O game being a bit like Phil's (I think I have that right does anyone remember that?). I think Phil was on the Rona round table?

Old
01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
wonder if Phil got a chance to talk to Trouba about playing in Winnipeg? I know pre-tourney last summer Phil was saying how good Trouba's game was and Phil had a quote specifially about Jacob's O game being a bit like Phil's (I think I have that right does anyone remember that?). I think Phil was on the Rona round table?
I just had the exact same thought. He likely mentioned something to him.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
I would bet on it. As a matter of fact I found Phil on Twitter because Trouba retweeted him.

I can't imagine that a guy who chooses his profile pic to be in a Jets jersey, even though he's played for Buffalo and team USA wouldn't have talked Winnipeg with a Jets prospect.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:58 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

The CFO from work is heading to Vegas this weekend and I just gave him $50 to put on the Jets for the Stanley cup. I never bet but I am channelling my inner Tony Robins

Old
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Storm is coming in and it's January and if we were still talking lockout stuff I would be a bit bored and depressed but we have NFL playoffs and the Freakin NHL looming. can't believe how much I am looking forward to a season now when a few weeks ago I was ready to let them blow it up.

Hockey night in Canada next Saturday Boys!!!!

SSSS

Last edited by ps241: 01-11-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
The CFO from work is heading to Vegas this weekend and I just gave him $50 to put on the Jets for the Stanley cup. I never bet but I am channelling my inner Tony Robins
My gambling website has a 50 dollar bet paying out at 450 dollars right now, not too shabby (I think you get better odds in Vegas though)...as a poor college student, I'll put 5 bucks on the Jets to take it...but I'm also putting 5 on the Kings, since I want a chance to actually win that money

EDIT: Screw that, for the Kings I would have had to bet 5 to make 9 dollars, that's less than a lot of individual games...

Old
01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
My gambling website has a 50 dollar bet paying out at 450 dollars right now, not too shabby (I think you get better odds in Vegas though)...as a poor college student, I'll put 5 bucks on the Jets to take it...but I'm also putting 5 on the Kings, since I want a chance to actually win that money

EDIT: Screw that, for the Kings I would have had to bet 5 to make 9 dollars, that's less than a lot of individual games...
hey Holden take note I heard the kings have their banner game next Saturday at home v Chicago (possibly day side)

also I was asking your opinion of Trouba's D only upside and any comp's you can think of. It was in another thread but you might not have revisited.

I believe your reference was you thought Trouba had really high defensive upside and I was wondering (taking out the O) if you thought Willie Mitchell type (or someone else) upside or not that high?

Old
01-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
hey Holden take note I heard the kings have their banner game next Saturday at home v Chicago (possibly day side)

also I was asking your opinion of Trouba's D only upside and any comp's you can think of. It was in another thread but you might not have revisited.

I believe your reference was you thought Trouba had really high defensive upside and I was wondering (taking out the O) if you thought Willie Mitchell type (or someone else) upside or not that high?
Originally at the draft I was thinking a smarter nastier Willie Mitchell as a decent comparaison for Trouba (Mitchell's offensive game is underrated, he has a good shot and decent first pass)...but now I think his upside is quite a bit higher.

The one that got thrown out there recently was Shea Weber, and I totally see it. Trouba's shot has gotten way better, his skating is improving by leaps and bounds (not that it was every ever close to a concern, but saying it's impressed me), and he's done it without sacrificing his defensive game. One important thing to remember that at the WJC it was big ice, so you didn't see him grind or even go after big hits much, but that's the part of his hockey smarts, he can adjust his game. His first pass was very smooth, and he is almost always in control, makes the big hit but rarely puts himself out of position to do it.

Weber gets the headlines for his hits and shots, but he is actually a very solid defensive player as well, might get more credit this year now that he will be forced to play a little more defensive with Suter (it wasn't that couldn't but he didn't need to with the rock Suter beside him), although Weber will have a guy I am very high on beside him as a solid defensive guy again this year (Roman Josi).

Now, saying he has Weber upside might be tough shoes to fill, and it will take plenty of refinement at the NHL level to get there, but I think he has that kind of ultimate upside. Right now his maximum potential level is higher than Bogosian's, IMO, but that's just his top end potential, he could still bust, or anywhere in between. Of course Bogosian is a proven top 4 guy already, so not saying Trouba>Bogo or anything.

Defensemen are notouriously hard to predict. To examples I can think of just off the top of my head are Ladislav Smid and Tim Gleason. Both were drafted as skating offensive defensemen, both changed their games when it became apparent that that was not going to work for them at the NHL level, now both are shutdown guys, Gleason in particular with a mean streak (he was viewed as soft, IIRC, in junior).

Old
01-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Both were drafted as skating offensive defensemen, both changed their games when it became apparent that that was not going to work for them at the NHL level, now both are shutdown guys, Gleason in particular with a mean streak (he was viewed as soft, IIRC, in junior).
Smid is a real head scratcher. He is so smooth with the puck. When he wants to, he can make an end to end rush and look like he's floating. It's like he shuts his brain off as soon as he hits the offensive blueline though.

I guess I can understand it, I have never been great offensively as a defenseman either. I find I'm always too worried about my own end.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:15 PM
buggs
get off my lawn

vCash: 2700
Where's my frikkin' blizzard? I stocked up on beer and everything

Old
01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Smid is a real head scratcher. He is so smooth with the puck. When he wants to, he can make an end to end rush and look like he's floating. It's like he shuts his brain off as soon as he hits the offensive blueline though.

I guess I can understand it, I have never been great offensively as a defenseman either. I find I'm always too worried about my own end.
Yeah, I never understood why Smid has never taken the step into a two-way defenseman. He is such a nice skater, makes nice passes, but just is so reluctant to jump up offensively.

Could be that the chinese fire drill that Edmonton calls defense has ruined him, since he has been the only one that even knows what the defensive end is on that squad and he has been forced into that mentality, IDK.

Definately the only defensemen out in Edmonton with NHL experience that I would for sure want on the Jets if possible (him and Bogo would be solid pair, both can skate, Smid's defensive awareness would open up Bogo for more offense. N. Schultz is solid as well, but so long as Stuart is here Schultz would be redundant (I know N. Schultz is better than Stuart, but not good enough for top 4 on a good team, IMO).

Old
01-11-2013, 08:11 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 2537
Quote:
Originally at the draft I was thinking a smarter nastier Willie Mitchell as a decent comparaison for Trouba (Mitchell's offensive game is underrated, he has a good shot and decent first pass)...but now I think his upside is quite a bit higher.

The one that got thrown out there recently was Shea Weber, and I totally see it. Trouba's shot has gotten way better, his skating is improving by leaps and bounds (not that it was every ever close to a concern, but saying it's impressed me), and he's done it without sacrificing his defensive game. One important thing to remember that at the WJC it was big ice, so you didn't see him grind or even go after big hits much, but that's the part of his hockey smarts, he can adjust his game. His first pass was very smooth, and he is almost always in control, makes the big hit but rarely puts himself out of position to do it.

Weber gets the headlines for his hits and shots, but he is actually a very solid defensive player as well, might get more credit this year now that he will be forced to play a little more defensive with Suter (it wasn't that couldn't but he didn't need to with the rock Suter beside him), although Weber will have a guy I am very high on beside him as a solid defensive guy again this year (Roman Josi).

Now, saying he has Weber upside might be tough shoes to fill, and it will take plenty of refinement at the NHL level to get there, but I think he has that kind of ultimate upside. Right now his maximum potential level is higher than Bogosian's, IMO, but that's just his top end potential, he could still bust, or anywhere in between. Of course Bogosian is a proven top 4 guy already, so not saying Trouba>Bogo or anything.

Defensemen are notouriously hard to predict. To examples I can think of just off the top of my head are Ladislav Smid and Tim Gleason. Both were drafted as skating offensive defensemen, both changed their games when it became apparent that that was not going to work for them at the NHL level, now both are shutdown guys, Gleason in particular with a mean streak (he was viewed as soft, IIRC, in junior).
Oh man. If Trouba even comes close to Shea Weber, I'll be really happy.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:10 AM
bazaaa*

How many players are looking out the window right now saying "ahhh damn, back in Winnipeg."

Old
01-12-2013, 01:15 AM
buggs
get off my lawn

vCash: 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
How many players are looking out the window right now saying "ahhh damn, back in Winnipeg."
Given the winter we had last year this would come as a complete surprise. They didn't see anything like this in the previous season.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:15 AM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Given the winter we had last year this would come as a complete surprise. They didn't see anything like this in the previous season.
Jumping right in makes it hard too. If it's gradual, you get used to it, but going from where some of these guys are coming from right into this weather sucks. Atleast yesterday was nice.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:48 AM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Blizzard in Winnipeg?

Meanwhile... in Atlanta... it's 75°/24c today.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:53 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 2537
Quote:
Blizzard in Winnipeg?

Pure golfing weather, am I right?

Old
01-12-2013, 07:42 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Thanks great post

I agree Weber seems like the closest comp and it is who Teouba compares himself to style wise as well. I agree it is tough to project defenders but Trouba had a mature and seasonsed feel at the WJC as an 18 year old player that said to me "this prospect feels very safe to be a top 4 NHL defender and he feels likely to discover his high end". Jacob just gave off a vibe that had me crossing my fingers less than any prospect we have in our system.

I guess what i am trying to articulate is that with any prospect there is always a confidence to hope ratio and with Trouba and I don't feel like I need much faith and hope I feel the question is when more than if.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:20 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

Jets season opener trailer video:

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocente...ed-share-video

Old
01-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
That got me pretty pumped. Can't wait till next Saturday..

BTW it looks like 25% off Jets Gear is our apology for the lockout. Hopefully they let us add the 15% ST discount for a 40% savings. Not likely, but maybe then I'll buy something.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Blizzard in Winnipeg?

It's been blizzarding from Alberta right through to Ontario for the last three days. I drove through the damn thing on Thursday from Regina to Lethbridge. It will all be coming to an end tomorrow.

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 01-12-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Then I guess most NHL players would be saying "ahhh damn, back to Canada" because this happens pretty much everywhere throughout winter (with the exception of Vancouver), not just in Winnipeg.

Closed Thread