HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Gourou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Tonight's Mark MacMillan's goal.....have fun!

Wow really nice speed and goal! It sure looks like our ND prospects are having a good year so far.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567

Fantastic. Looks like he and Kristo are still on the same line too.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

And I imagine us acquiring Corban Knight as well....Knight, 6'1'' centerman, damn good centerman with great IQ, picked in the freakin 5th round by the Panthers. Let's go Bergevin, pretend you're going hard for Huberdeau, yet will settle for Knight....We picked Avtsin in the 4th round....which at that point looked like a good boom or bust pick though now seems more busting than anything else....

Anyway, awesome goal by MacMillan who really just needs weight and strength. If so, watch out people. We've got a nice one in our hands, and that's not solely based on that piece.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:49 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Learned that one from Kristo.. but wow. Has he improved his acceleration or what?! Great "turning on the turbo" moment there. Watching him I knew he improved every aspect since his freshman but to accelerate this quick while pivoting towards the net... beautiful scene.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Maxpac

How would you compare his speed to Kreider's at the same age?

Old
01-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
How would you compare his speed to Kreider's at the same age?
Kreider was faster. But MacMillan, is indeed improving though always was a pretty good skater as far as speed and technique. I'd say that Kreider's first steps were better but MacMillan is as smooth as it gets.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-12-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old
01-12-2013, 12:31 AM
ChoseLa

He should train with PK or Max Pac in the summer.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

North Dakota highlights.

Great PP goal from Kristo with the wrister while being fairly high. The guy picks his spots alright. At around 0.40 sec.

In the last seconds, Kristo had the tying goal on his stick, showed nice patience before shooting but it was blocked in front of the net.

We also see 2 things defensively in that vid, MacMillan playing the PK, though was scored on. And Kristo showing his speed to backcheck.

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal...b_oem_id=13500

Old
01-12-2013, 12:47 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
North Dakota highlights.

Great PP goal from Kristo with the wrister while being fairly high. The guy picks his spots alright. At around 0.40 sec.

In the last seconds, Kristo had the tying goal on his stick, showed nice patience before shooting but it was blocked in front of the net.

We also see 2 things defensively in that vid, MacMillan playing the PK, though was scored on. And Kristo showing his speed to backcheck.

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal...b_oem_id=13500
Quick question on Kristo, i've seen him destroy other players in highlight reels, is it indicative if his play? Does he hit a lot?

Old
01-12-2013, 01:23 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Watched the North Dakota game, great goal by MacMillan, a career high in goals so far and counting. Kristo with one more goal would move into a tie for 3rd in the league. He's currently tied with Johnny Gaudreau for 10th in the league in points. Leads his team in goals. Tough night for ND though. Going to watch Colin Sullivan play at some point and Didier as well plus the replay of the Blades game which doesn't sound like a good one to catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Quick question on Kristo, i've seen him destroy other players in highlight reels, is it indicative if his play? Does he hit a lot?
No not really, he'll take the body from time to time, he has bulked up a little upper body wise from the looks of it, but needs to improve his lower body strength. Would be great for him to get north of 195 in the future with much better lower body strength, would be very interesting to see how it would go for him as pro if those things were to happen. I can't see him ever being known for his physical game but he will get his nose dirty from time to time, seems to play better when he does at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

They were together on the PP at one point, but MacMillan is back at center on the 3rd line.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:25 AM
NotProkofievian

Our prospects have been scoring some beauties lately.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:15 AM
Andy

I always found Kristo has been an overlooked prospect. He is quite skilled. Nice to see MacMillan doing well also.

I don't think the forward pool is so bad. The better part of it is much younger, but I think team definitely has something to work with having Galchenyuk, Bozon, Hudon, Collberg, Kristo, Gallagher, and hope fully Leblanc and MacMillan make up the forward prospect pool. Outside of Galchenyuk, no real big name prospect, but a solid list. With 4 picks in the top 60 this, we could definitely add. Don't think the team is in as bad a shape as we might sometimes think it is.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I always found Kristo has been an overlooked prospect. He is quite skilled. Nice to see MacMillan doing well also.

I don't think the forward pool is so bad. The better part of it is much younger, but I think team definitely has something to work with having Galchenyuk, Bozon, Hudon, Collberg, Kristo, Gallagher, and hope fully Leblanc and MacMillan make up the forward prospect pool. Outside of Galchenyuk, no real big name prospect, but a solid list. With 4 picks in the top 60 this, we could definitely add. Don't think the team is in as bad a shape as we might sometimes think it is.
Well, the problem with that pool is that we have a ton of guys with second line winger upside and very few likely to be first liners. I mean you never know but the only one of those who I think has decent odds to be a 30+ goalscorer in the NHL is Collberg; I wouldn't rule out Kristo or Gallagher completely to reach that level but they are fighting the odds, and even Collberg is a risk to be great instead of good.

To use hockey's future as an example, Galchenyuk and Collberg are our only two forwards with 8+ ratings, while we are stacked with 7's and 7.5's. Not that HF is the gospel, but I see a similar analysis elsewhere.

Another problem is that most of our best winger prospects play on the right side. Collberg, Kristo and Gallagher are probably the three closest to the NHL and all three are RWs.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Another problem is that most of our best winger prospects play on the right side. Collberg, Kristo and Gallagher are probably the three closest to the NHL and all three are RWs.
On the plus side, our best young forward at the NHL level (Pacioretty is only a year and a half older than Kristo) is on the left. Gionta and Cole will eventually need to be replaced on the right, it will be good to have some talent competing for those spots.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Watched the Denver game. Didier was on the 3rd pairing and was a regular on the PK. Had a solid game in his own end and phyiscally as he had several nice hits but was on the other end of a few big hits as well. During the game they talked about how the team was winless in the month he was out of the lineup and how they are playing much better with him back in the lineup. He had a high ankle sprain but showed no signs of it as he was skating very well (better then I remember, since this is the first time i've seen him since last season).

On the NCAA free agent front, was impressed with UNO's Matt White, and of course Ryan Walters since he leads the league in scoring. And I really hope management has been keeping an eye on Didier's teammate, the Finnish goalie Juho Olkinuora. I said last year during his Freshman year that he's someone to keep an eye on, but with the numbers he's putting up this season I got to think many NHL teams will be interested in him when he wants to turn pro. Denver looked really good, huge win for them as they moved into a tie for 1st with UNO, so tonights game should be a good one, too bad it's not on tv though.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:47 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I agree, but would like to think the terror felt by most fans is generated by how and if rookies are going to be used/developed. I certianly am. My hands get cold thinking about.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
That

Kristo keeps his goal scoring streak alive. At 7 games now. Over that span he has 7 goals and 6 assists.

EDIT: Adds two assists as well. He's dangerous every time he's one the ice, great game so far.

Last edited by That: 01-12-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 09:36 PM
niftymove

1G-1A now for Kristo, around 6 min to go in 2th per

Old
01-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Good to see Kristo being dominant in that league. I was a bit worried about him seeing his stats as a 22 year old projected to become a top 6 fwd in the NHL.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:23 PM
niftymove

1G-2A for Kristo with 6 min to go
0G-0A for Mac

Old
01-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Et le But

Kristo with the longest goal streak for UND since Frattin.

So at the very least we have the next Matt Frattin.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:44 PM
EveryDay

2G and 2 A tonight for Kristo!

Old
01-12-2013, 10:46 PM
That

North Dakota game is over. They won 5-3.

Mark MacMillan had an off night. He played on the second line, centring Rocco Grimaldi and O'Donnell. Pretty evident that their was no chemistry between them. MacMillan didn't create a whole lot offensively, but was pretty good defensively. Like always, he finished his checks and played with energy.

Kristo had 2 goals and 2 assists. He's currently is on a 7 game goal scoring streak. He has 8 goals and 8 assists in that span. Tonight, he played a great game. He was all over the ice and was very engaged. I was impressed with his board work, very strong on his skates and did a good job protecting the puck. He played alright defensively, blew coverage a few times, but made some good plays towards to end of the game. He could have also had another goal, but he nailed it off of the post.

Kristo's points:

Old
01-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Bullsmith

That McMillan goal is a thing of beauty and a pleasure to watch. But in the NHL the D doesn't let him get room to cut fully across the net and if he does, the goalie doesn't let that shot in.

I like McMillan. I mean I don't expect him to have an NHL career but I do think it's possible. I think our NCAA prospects are very hard to judge but my own sense is that Kristo is, say, 60% to be make the NHL, most likely as a B-B+ level second line offensive winger who's better off the break than on the PP. Bennett is probably 60-40 against making any kind of impact in the NHL, but that's actually a decent shot. I think both Kristo and Bennett are underrated by and large, especially by the media. Much as I like him, McMillan is really a longshot, from what I've seen of him. I would love to be wrong.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Et le But

I didn't like Kristo staying in UND because it's clear he's learned all he has at this level, but I do respect that he's really become a leader on that team and is at least living up to his commitment.

Closed Thread