HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester Americans / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed.

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 09:09 PM
hockeylover1

vCash: 500
Trying to point out that there was good improvement in the defencmen's game in Portland that won their division unlike what you are seeing from the defencmen you mentioned playing now.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:37 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Schiestel doesn't play defense and Crawford rarely does. Finley, JGL, Pysyk, McNabb weren't on Portland.
That is the point, why isn't Schiestel playing D and is Crawford being used sparingly? Crawford had a terrific rookie year and Schiestel an Allstar season where he lead the league in +/- . Please don't insinuate Schiestel can't play because how do we know, we haven't seen him play here yet.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
It doesn't make me feel any better hearing that the Buffalo staff has been working individually with players all the while AND they're still playing like this. Idk if they have too many cooks in the kitchen or what, but whatever they're doing is not cutting down on the mistakes. Last night's defense was pretty comical.
Too much instruction and not allowing instincts to take over is possible. D-zone play though is often a failing for both the defense and the forwards. I'm not particularly impressed with how some of those guys come back, set up, or if they pick up a check in their own zone. *shrug* They could use a stabilizer back there, maybe that is Pardy.

01-11-2013, 07:39 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
That is the point, why isn't Schiestel playing D and is Crawford being used sparingly? Crawford had a terrific rookie year and Schiestel an Allstar season where he lead the league in +/- . Please don't insinuate Schiestel can't play because how do we know, we haven't seen him play here yet.
Schiestel is better than JGL I'm sure. But he played the first few games and didn't look good. I know it's a small sample size, but he hasn't been back on defense since.

I don't agree with most of the coaching moves, but this defense was set up to fail. That's all there is to it.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Too much instruction and not allowing instincts to take over is possible. D-zone play though is often a failing for both the defense and the forwards. I'm not particularly impressed with how some of those guys come back, set up, or if they pick up a check in their own zone. *shrug* They could use a stabilizer back there, maybe that is Pardy.
I only touched on it in an earlier post, but yeah, the forwards do struggle sticking with late attackers and on switches. Often it's only one step, but that's all most pros need to make you pay.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:49 AM
hockey18

players make mistakes in portland, they sat or missed shifts so they knewthere were consequences. NOt much happens here when a mistake is made . SHiestel may not have played well in the first few games, but i haven't seen alot of guys that don't deserve to sit and give him another chance/look.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

AHL#35 – Bulldogs at Amerks – Fri Jan 11 – 7:05PM ET – TV: n/a – Radio: WHTK-AM

Rochester Amerks rookies have to learn to forget:
Quote:
The matchup: Amerks vs. Hamilton Bulldogs (affiliate of the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens).
Time/place: 7:05 p.m. Friday/Blue Cross Arena at the Rochester Community War Memorial.
Tickets: $16, $19, $21.
Records: The Amerks are 17-14-2-1. Hamilton is 13-18-1-3 and still has the AHL’s worst points-earned percentage.
Season series: The Amerks have won four of five.
Radio: WHTK-AM (1280).
Team website: amerks.com.
Quote:
Center Rick Schofield (lower body injury) and right winger Max Legault (illness) are expected back in the lineup for Friday night’s home game against the Hamilton Bulldogs. That makes 13 healthy forwards for 12 spots.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:53 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
players make mistakes in portland, they sat or missed shifts so they knewthere were consequences. NOt much happens here when a mistake is made . SHiestel may not have played well in the first few games, but i haven't seen alot of guys that don't deserve to sit and give him another chance/look.
You're right. The problem is that the Sabres are so obsessed with development, that they forgot how to run an actual professional hockey team in Rochester. The players are coddled. They don't get benched, scratched and aren't held accountable. And it's going to set these guys up for a rude awakening when/if the ever get to the NHL.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:57 AM
hockey18

i agree 100%. I was frequent attendee in portland and dineen would pull guys andsit them all the time. Didn't matter who it was, if you did't do what you were tauht or supposed to do, you missed time. IF it was not corrected, you were scratched. The d guys all improved from the start of the year to the end. It has not happened in rochester. If there is no fear of sitting or missing games, why focus. Not even sure mistakes are pointed out. ITs about winning, but its about developing players also. The two go hand in hand

Old
01-11-2013, 08:02 AM
joshjull

Quote:
You're right. The problem is that the Sabres are so obsessed with development, that they forgot how to run an actual professional hockey team in Rochester. The players are coddled. They don't get benched, scratched and aren't held accountable. And it's going to set these guys up for a rude awakening when/if the ever get to the NHL.
The same coaching staff sent guys up that played pretty well last season.

I not saying there aren't issues at the moment. But it's a bit much to say the players will be in for a rude awakening when they reach the NHL. Foligno, Tropp, McNabb, and Brennan all looked solid or better last season.

The problem may be too many cooks in the kitchen right now. If the Sabres staff is as involved as some say.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:14 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The same coaching staff sent guys up that played pretty well last season.

I not saying there aren't issues at the moment. But it's a bit much to say the players will be in for a rude awakening when they reach the NHL. Foligno, Tropp, McNabb, and Brennan all looked solid or better last season.

The problem may be too many cooks in the kitchen right now. If the Sabres staff is as involved as some say.
Foligno was going to be good regardless. I could have coached him. Tropp did most of his developing under Dineen. And McNabb has taken a huge step backwards this year. The coaching is poor, and as someone who watches this team as much as anyone, the players are coddled and not held accountable.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:20 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
I miss Dineen

Old
01-11-2013, 08:28 AM
sabrefan27

Corey Locke had his contract terminated in Finland. I assume he's coming back to NA. Would be an awesome signing and great replacement for Hodgson. Wishful thinking, though.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:47 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Corey Locke had his contract terminated in Finland. I assume he's coming back to NA. Would be an awesome signing and great replacement for Hodgson. Wishful thinking, though.
Whitmore is lighting up the DEL. Locke would clearly be better

Old
01-11-2013, 09:08 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Schiestel is better than JGL I'm sure. But he played the first few games and didn't look good. I know it's a small sample size, but he hasn't been back on defense since.

I don't agree with most of the coaching moves, but this defense was set up to fail. That's all there is to it.
I guess it really doesn't matter if he plays or not as the Sabres have made it quite obvious that he is finished in Buffalo.

Last edited by French Connection: 01-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 09:20 AM
AmerksPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I only touched on it in an earlier post, but yeah, the forwards do struggle sticking with late attackers and on switches. Often it's only one step, but that's all most pros need to make you pay.
Couldn't agree more about some of the forwards, I have been saying this all year. As bad as the D has been, many goals have been scored by the 3rd guy trailing the play. Mancari is the worst defensive forward we have (-10). All he wants to do is take 2 minute shifts and score goals. He is no consideration of the other end of the ice. He stays out there so long and can't get back.

Rankin is similar although not as bad (-10). He is thinking offense first and struggles getting back. He is not a good enough skater to not always be on the defensive side of the puck. He is simply too slow to get back. I can think of 3-4 times this year he has been late on the back check and his guy bangs a rebound into the open net after Leggio makes the first save.

Throw Varone in there (-8) who is not strong enough down low and you have a recipe for disaster.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:29 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
i agree 100%. I was frequent attendee in portland and dineen would pull guys andsit them all the time. Didn't matter who it was, if you did't do what you were tauht or supposed to do, you missed time. IF it was not corrected, you were scratched. The d guys all improved from the start of the year to the end. It has not happened in rochester. If there is no fear of sitting or missing games, why focus. Not even sure mistakes are pointed out. ITs about winning, but its about developing players also. The two go hand in hand
You must know what the mistakes are before you can address them. Inexperienced or poor Pro level coaching will have a tough time and if they also have a difficult time with communicating with the players your team is dead in the water. How many times have we seen zero emotion or game time instructions from this group.

Last edited by French Connection: 01-11-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 09:38 AM
OcAirlines

How has Crawford looked in the limited amount of games he has seen so far? I always wondered why his playing time dropped so much over the last 1-2 seasons, but I haven't really seen him play since the Portland-days so I don't know if it's warranted or not. I have a hard time believing that he is a worse option than some of the other guys who are currently playing though.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
sabrefan27

His lack of play is not warranted at all. He's been far better than McNabb and JGL. Pysyk too, at times.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:00 AM
French Connection

Quote:
His lack of play is not warranted at all. He's been far better than and JGL. Pysyk too, at times.
I totally agree.

Even before the start of the season, Rolston stated that certain and preordained D-men would be fighting for the 6th through 9 spots. Now how can a coach make a statement such as that if the notion was to play the guys on merit alone?

Crawford with all of his good play hasn't sniffed the ice even during any of the Sabres preseason games.

Last edited by French Connection: 01-11-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
jfb392

Locke is actually signing in Germany.

To Berlin:
Sabres 2013 1st round pick
Sabres 2014 1st round pick
Sabres 2015 1st round pick

To Buffalo:
Corey Locke

Old
01-12-2013, 01:58 AM
DerekBrink
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Locke is actually signing in Germany.

To Berlin:
Sabres 2013 1st round pick
Sabres 2014 1st round pick
Sabres 2015 1st round pick

To Buffalo:
Corey Locke
this is a joke right?

Old
01-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekBrink View Post
this is a joke right?
Yes, this is a joke.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11 - HAM 2 @ RCH 5

28 Zemgus Girgensons - 12 Kevin Porter (C) - 25 Mark Mancari (A)
74 Nick Tarnasky - 72 Luke Adam - 10 Brian Flynn
92 Kevin Sundher - 22 Phil Varone - 15 Evan Rankin
91 Frederick Roy - 32 Rick Schofield - 29 Maxime Legault

2 Joe Finley - 13 Mark Pysyk
3 TJ Brennan (A) - 4 Alex Biega
7 Brayden McNabb - 20 Nick Crawford

33 David Leggio
49 Connor Knapp

Zemgus Girgensons' 2 assists spark Amerks in win:
Quote:
Brian Flynn, T.J. Brennan, Mark Mancari, Nick Tarnasky and Brayden McNabb scored the goals for the Amerks, who improved to 18-14-2-1 by beating the AHL-worst Bulldogs for the fifth time in six meetings.
Quote:
“As the games roll on, he’s holding the puck more, he’s getting over it, he’s making more plays,” Rolston said. “For his development, that’s the kind of slow progress we’re looking for, especially offensively.”

The Amerks and Sabres didn’t expect Girgensons to be a top scorer for the Amerks. Nor did they think he would draw raves for his flashy, dynamic play with the puck.

They drafted the 6-foot-2, 194-pound Girgensons with the 14th pick in the 2012 draft because they envision him developing into a powerful, solid, two-way forward who will score, defend, battle and lead.

He has been showing signs of all of those characteristics since the season began on Oct. 12.

“His game is kind of, hopefully, mirroring Marcus’ development last year,” Rolston said, “where it was a little slow to the start and now he’s just getting and gaining more confidence.”
A fitting farewell (temporary or not) for Brennan:
Quote:
He isn’t sure what will happen in the long-term. In the short-term, he knows he’ll be joining the Buffalo Sabres. “I have to go up for a little bit,” he said.

For one, the Sabres want him in their NHL training camp, which starts Monday. They open their 48-game season just six days later. Now that there is an NHL season, Brennan must clear waivers to play in the AHL. He has been playing for the Amerks on a temporary AHL contract.

Lindsay Kramer of the Post-Standard in Syracuse is reporting that, based on what Tampa Bay Lightning officials have said, anyone requiring waivers will not be allowed to play in the AHL once the NHL Players Association ratifies the new Collective Bargaining Agreement at 8 a.m. Saturday.
Quote:
Now that’s how the Amerks expect McNabb to play

The lockout obviously has had a major impact on the Amerks roster. They’ve lost their top three scorers in terms of points per game. But Rolston said he believes many others will be more zeroed in on everything the must do. They again have a carrot to chase.

“I think the guys get a little more focused,” he said. “Now there’s something going on that they have a little more opportunity to be a part of. They’re a little more focused on their game and being more detailed.”

If you want to, feel free to substitute the name Brayden McNabb in place of the word “they” in that sentence. McNabb played one of his best games of the season. He hit. He didn’t try to make fancy plays. He made smart decisions. And he looked a whole lot like the defenseman he was last season.

Roslton said there was no question that McNabb was better on Friday. “He was under control and really good defensively,” Rolston said. “I thought his defensive game came first and he built from there.”

That included the clinching goal 6:21 into the third period, just as a power play was ending.
WGR - Girgensons ready for bigger role in Rochester.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:23 AM
joshjull

I'm reading correctly that Girgensons is on the top line?

Closed Thread