HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cole want return a Cane?

Old
01-12-2013, 07:59 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

vCash: 500
Ruutu is done for the season iirc. So Cole would be a logical option if Rutherford does go looking for a winger.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:15 AM
palindrom

As a Montreal fan, i would take this deal if its the best offer i can find at the deadline and if we are out of the playoff.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:22 AM
echlfreak

Ruutu, McBain and 2nd rd pick for Cole and Bourque

Cole-Staal-Semin
Bourque-Staal-Skinner
Jussi-Tlusty-Larose

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Ruutu, McBain and 2nd rd pick for Cole and Bourque

Cole-Staal-Semin
Bourque-Staal-Skinner
Jussi-Tlusty-Larose
As a montréal fan, i dont think its the best deal we could find for these two players.

Anyway, i would wait at the deadline for this kind of deal....

are you fine with waiting at the deadline?

Old
01-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

People saying that Montreal wouldn't accept that deal for a "35G player" are missing the point. This is if Cole was going to retire rather than continuing to play in Montreal. It's better to get something for him than nothing, though eating any of his cap hit would likely be a non-starter for them. Montreal would have absolutely no leverage in the trade negotiations, as Cole would have effectively said "Raleigh or bust."

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:29 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Only thing i've ever liked about Cole

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:36 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
People saying that Montreal wouldn't accept that deal for a "35G player" are missing the point. This is if Cole was going to retire rather than continuing to play in Montreal. It's better to get something for him than nothing, though eating any of his cap hit would likely be a non-starter for them. Montreal would have absolutely no leverage in the trade negotiations, as Cole would have effectively said "Raleigh or bust."
Yes we can have one leverage, Montreal could say: We keep you in Montreal or bust

Old
01-12-2013, 08:41 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

hmm, I don't like the look of the Habs top 6 without Cole unless Gally looks good and is staying up. If Gally is sent back to the OHL we are looking at Moen, White or someone who has no place playing that big a role.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:50 AM
otto bond

If the Cane want Cole, I expect the ticket to be like so:

Cane:Cole/Weber

Habs:Gleason/Dalpe

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:55 AM
sharks9

There's no chance that Cole gets traded this year. Our top 6 would be absolute garbage without him.

And we definitely wouldn't trade him for that deal that the OP proposed. Teams would offer up a lot more than that at the deadline for a 35g scorer.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Some guys just belong with certain teams. And Eric cole belongs with the Hurricanes.
I believe that as well but Cole had a great year in Montreal, not like when he played in Edmonton that things were just bad

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:00 AM
chuck1984

I loved it when he high fived the ref after a goal! Haha good times!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfm5iXoHuQ

chuck1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
If the Cane want Cole, I expect the ticket to be like so:

Cane:Cole/Weber

Habs:Gleason/Dalpe
And you'd immediately be laughed at by anyone who's followed hockey even a little.

Yes, let's trade the defenseman entering his prime and a young, scoring forward for a 35+ player with a history of injuries and contemplating retirement.

GENIUS!

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Oleg Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post

Not a chance.
You obviously have no idea how good Biega is.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Mahleezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Some guys just belong with certain teams. And Eric cole belongs with the Hurricanes.
Yet he had a career year with Montreal, not Carolina!

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:28 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
There's no chance that Cole gets traded this year. Our top 6 would be absolute garbage without him.

And we definitely wouldn't trade him for that deal that the OP proposed. Teams would offer up a lot more than that at the deadline for a 35g scorer.
I'd agree with this. Well maybe at the deadline (whenever that is) if Montreal's out of it, but I certainly wouldn't expect the Habs to move Cole until the offseason if he's moved at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
You obviously have no idea how good Biega is.
Most people don't. Harvard's not one of the big name NCAA programs and Canes fans aren't overly vocal about our prospects outside the Canes board. Biega's development over the past two years is the biggest reason why Dumoulin was movable in the Jordan Staal trade.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Biega and a 2nd - definitely no salary retention - would be fine with me if Cole puts himself on the trade market, say as a deadline sell. But of course, in order for him to be on the trade market, he'll have to underperform to some extent (at least, relative to last year), and/or he'll have to have lit some realistic fires of concern about his state of mind for the next 2 years. These bitter comments are preliminary warning bells, but who knows, once he gets back in the mix and starts getting his paycheques again, maybe he gets over the bitterness.

At least this helps put his name on the table too as another in the Habs' endless litany of potential cap savings options for the summer. We were kind of getting bored of the usual 3 names.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:31 AM
JWA
Rookie User

I realize Cole wants to go back to the canes, and the canes would love to have him, given how they just upped their competitivness tenfold this summer, but for THAT package you can forget it. Cole may be old, but he plays at a really high level. If the canes want him, they'll have to bite the bullet on this one.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:43 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Only thing i've ever liked about Cole
Absolutely beautiful hit.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:44 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
To: Montreal
Danny Biega
2nd

To: Carolina
Erik Cole

With Montreal absorbing 33% of the cap hit.
I think your part time job as a crash test dummy is affecting your hockey judgement.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:46 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

How about:

MTL: Cole.
CAR: YOUR 1ST!

Edit: Really your 1st pick in 2013 is the only asset you've got that I see interesting. I'd rather see the habs play Cole in the stands than get anything else.

Last edited by vokiel: 01-12-2013 at 09:56 AM.
vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:56 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Cole is just being a little b****

Talked about players should stick together during the CBA and called out Hamrlik. And now he is pissed at the escrow.

Cole got a 2M signg bonus, and with over half of his salary left, he'll bring in over 3M this year.

He has 8M left on the table for the next two years, he isn't retiring and leaving that on the table, specially when he seems to place high importance for n how much money he is making now.
out
I don't hate the guy because he is looking out for money, but its just Cole being, a baby.

Last year when he signed, he talked about how it was important that he called Gionta before signing to ask about schools, and everything, so he clearly has things figured out in terms of his kids and school, just stop looking for attention and play Cole.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Erik Cole mentions that he may be considering an early retirement.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...son-in-the-nhl

He has made his home in Raleigh, and is has mentioned multiple times that he wants to live here after retirement. I am sure that he would be willing to play here if asked.

To: Montreal
Danny Biega
2nd

To: Carolina
Erik Cole

With Montreal absorbing 33% of the cap hit.
Let me point out a few things:
  1. Cole talking retirement has nothing to do with Montreal as he stated loving playing there. It's based on his frustration with Bettman (see Puck Bettman hats) and the lockout.
  2. If Montreal was to trade him, it would take more than a prospect and a pick to get him. Cole is a mentor for Pacioretty and produces like the PF the Habs need him to be.
  3. Montreal needs to shed some major salary in order to get under the cap for next year. There is no way that they trade anyone and keep cap hit, especially not for a couple of years.

I understand that Cole is popular in Carolina (and rightfully so), but this is a pipe dream at best. The Habs would need similar value in a trade, if they are going to part ways with Cole which is very, very unlikely.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Let's get some facts out there:

1) Cole just came off a career year with the only team other than Carolina he's played a full season with.
2) He has shown no indication that he dislikes Montreal, and Montreal fans have not turned on him (yet).
3) His comments likely have little to do with where he is playing and more to do with the new CBA and frustration with Bettman.
2) Cole is still under contract for two seasons after this year.
3) Montreal will make full use of its 2 Amnesty buyouts with its collection of ridiculously overpaid, virtually useless vets.
4) Montreal is a Cap spending team and wont pay part of the salary of a player (especially a player of Cole's calibre) without significant future value coming back.
5) If Cole intends to retire after this season, he has no value to any team and doesn't hurt Montreal in a financial sense.
6) If Cole's play craters, its unlikely another team (even Carolina) would want to take him on and more likely he considers retirement.

Taking all that into account, at this point in time, Montreal doesn't move him for the proposed deals in this thread. As for the future, who knows what will happen.

I can see the OP's deal happening IF Cole regresses this season to a 20-25 goal scorer, the Habs are out of the playoff hunt, Bergevin can't generate a bidding war and Montreal trades his full salary. Beyond that, not happening.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 01-12-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:20 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
And you'd immediately be laughed at by anyone who's followed hockey even a little.

Yes, let's trade the defenseman entering his prime and a young, scoring forward for a 35+ player with a history of injuries and contemplating retirement.

GENIUS!
Well who said it had to be fair....I was playing the game.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote