HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 16th: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 06:04 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
The only place this fit is where you said when JP is DH'ing
LOL

That's how far I went to try to rationalize this signing.

Who knows why...

Old
01-11-2013, 06:15 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
OK, let's list all of the catchers that the Jays have acquired this off-season:
Bobby Wilson
Eli Whiteside
John Buck
Josh Thole
Henry Blanco

Who is going to be catching in Buffalo? I am not sure what the Jays did with Whiteside or Wilson. Are they still Jays property?
Wilson and Whiteside were lost on waivers trying to sneak them down to Buffalo to be the C there. Thole will be the backup and personal catcher for Dickey (for times where they don't want to risk JP catching him and the potential circus that would entail). Blanco could probably be the next "gonna sneak him down to AAA to be the catcher there" attempt, along with Mike Nikeas (who was also acquired in the Dickey trade and is sort of Thole-insurance since he (nikeas) has caught Dickey too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Is Jimenez likely to start at Buffalo or New Hampshire?

I know pre-Dickey that he was almost certainly slated for NH so that he could be their starter, but now with D'arnaud gone, I think he might be given that chance.

Or is he still likely going to need more AA time anyway?

Presuming Blanco makes it to the minors, we're probably looking at:

MLB - Arencibia, Thole
AAA (Buffalo) - Blanco, Nikeas
AA (New Hampshire) - Jimenez, filler
A (Lansing/Vancouver) - Nessy, Seth Connor,2x filler where appropriate

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Old news, but worth posting this collection of articles from Jays Journal, called "Prospect Positional Primers". They're brief looks at the best of what we've got in the system at different positions, and they're a good way to get basically familiar with the top chunk of the Jays' pipeline.

Be aware that these were done in October & November, so they were made before the Marlins and Dickey trades (as such, you'll see Nicolino, d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Hechavarria, Marisnick, and Bucerra all broken down.

Left-Handed Pitchers

Right-Handed Pitchers

Catchers

Corner Infield (1B/3B)

Middle Infield (2B/SS)

Corner Outfield (LF/RF)

Centre Field

They're good reads

Old
01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Presuming Blanco makes it to the minors, we're probably looking at:

MLB - Arencibia, Thole
AAA (Buffalo) - Blanco, Nikeas
AA (New Hampshire) - Jimenez, filler
A (Lansing/Vancouver) - Nessy, Seth Connor,2x filler where appropriate
Lets say Blanco doesn't make it to the minors. Then what? Is Jimenez still likely in AA?

Old
01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Lets say Blanco doesn't make it to the minors. Then what? Is Jimenez still likely in AA?
Yes, and they find themselves another catcher for Buffalo.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:31 PM
xtra

I personally would love to see the bluejays clinch a playoff spot and then just for giggles have JPA catch a game in chicago(windy city) for dickey

Old
01-11-2013, 08:34 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
probably. Better to sign some AAA filler to back up Nikeas than it is to put Jimenez in over his head. If he shows he's ready for AAA duty in the first few AA months, then he'll move up.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:51 PM
smitty10

Cool that Anthopolous is showing such dedication to Dickey by signing Blanco. At the very least this is a move to make him feel comfortable (although he should be. We have 3 catchers he's thrown to!). Loving this Blue Jays team. I have a really good feeling about this team that I've never had about a Toronto team before.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Old news, but worth posting this collection of articles from Jays Journal, called "Prospect Positional Primers". They're brief looks at the best of what we've got in the system at different positions, and they're a good way to get basically familiar with the top chunk of the Jays' pipeline....

They're good reads
They sure are, thanks for the links!

Old
01-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Cool that Anthopolous is showing such dedication to Dickey by signing Blanco. At the very least this is a move to make him feel comfortable (although he should be. We have 3 catchers he's thrown to!). Loving this Blue Jays team. I have a really good feeling about this team that I've never had about a Toronto team before.
He is positioning the team for a deep playoff run. Need depth to succeed.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Dickey was interviewed on TSN1050, and he said he would prefer that the dome be closed when he pitches...that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The knuckleball dances because of the non-uniformity of the air through which it travels, and is affected by any little current that touches the ball. Theoretically, if it were in a vacuum, it wouldn't dance at all, correct? So why would he want to make the environment more controlled?

Old
01-12-2013, 09:44 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...lanche01.shtml

blanco has some power
he's no worse than thole

Old
01-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Dickey was interviewed on TSN1050, and he said he would prefer that the dome be closed when he pitches...that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The knuckleball dances because of the non-uniformity of the air through which it travels, and is affected by any little current that touches the ball. Theoretically, if it were in a vacuum, it wouldn't dance at all, correct? So why would he want to make the environment more controlled?
It's worth noting that:

A) a closed Rogers Centre is still far from a static environment - there are plenty of air currents for a knuckleball to exploit,

B) in his admittedly limited number of starts in partial or complete domes, Dickey has been lights-out, and most importantly

C) why argue with a Cy Young winner about the conditions in which he feels more comfortable pitching?

Old
01-12-2013, 09:52 AM
smitty10

Quote:
He always says that it's easier for him to control if he's throwing in a controlled environment, which is why a dome is prefered. I don't think it's as much about movement as it is control.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
It's worth noting that:

A) a closed Rogers Centre is still far from a static environment - there are plenty of air currents for a knuckleball to exploit,

B) in his admittedly limited number of starts in partial or complete domes, Dickey has been lights-out, and most importantly

C) why argue with a Cy Young winner about the conditions in which he feels more comfortable pitching?

I know that there is still air moving around the Rogers Centre, lmao. Your second point is duly noted. Thirdly, I'm not questioning Dickey, I'm question his rationale on a message board. He said on TSN1050, that it was in order to "take a variable out of the equation". That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
He always says that it's easier for him to control if he's throwing in a controlled environment, which is why a dome is prefered. I don't think it's as much about movement as it is control.
That's probably it then. Since he throws a bit of a harder knuckler, I guess he prefers less wind. Good to know!

In other news: Colby Rasmus everyone.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:

I know that there is still air moving around the Rogers Centre, lmao. Your second point is duly noted. Thirdly, I'm not questioning Dickey, I'm question his rationale on a message board. He said on TSN1050, that it was in order to "take a variable out of the equation". That just doesn't make any sense to me.
If the dome is open and there is a cross wind then it is harder for someone who throws a knuckle ball to throw it with command since the weather conditions can add extra movement that he can not control. However if there is no limiting factors then once he finds his release point it is easier for him to command the pitch where he wants it to go. While yes having extra movement sounds great in theory, extra movement doesn't mean much if it results in 8 walked batters because of it.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Old news, but worth posting this collection of articles from Jays Journal, called "Prospect Positional Primers". They're brief looks at the best of what we've got in the system at different positions, and they're a good way to get basically familiar with the top chunk of the Jays' pipeline.

Be aware that these were done in October & November, so they were made before the Marlins and Dickey trades (as such, you'll see Nicolino, d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Hechavarria, Marisnick, and Bucerra all broken down.

Left-Handed Pitchers

Right-Handed Pitchers

Catchers

Corner Infield (1B/3B)

Middle Infield (2B/SS)

Corner Outfield (LF/RF)

Centre Field

They're good reads
Just getting a chance to sit down with a cup of coffee and go through some of these. Thanks Nem.

Quote:

Better than cornrows. Love the flow. Baseball has been lacking it lately.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
If the dome is open and there is a cross wind then it is harder for someone who throws a knuckle ball to throw it with command since the weather conditions can add extra movement that he can not control. However if there is no limiting factors then once he finds his release point it is easier for him to command the pitch where he wants it to go. While yes having extra movement sounds great in theory, extra movement doesn't mean much if it results in 8 walked batters because of it.
That's a great explanation, thanks a lot. I imagine it has something to do with him throwing a harder ball too. As a slower knuckler, I wonder if Wakefield had a similar preference?

Old
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:
That's probably it then. Since he throws a bit of a harder knuckler, I guess he prefers less wind. Good to know!

Colby's boots are without a doubt the EPICENTER of this entire picture.

Win.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
That's a great explanation, thanks a lot. I imagine it has something to do with him throwing a harder ball too. As a slower knuckler, I wonder if Wakefield had a similar preference?
You would have to think any knuckler would prefer to take the weather factor out of the equation.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

If you don't zoom that in you'd wonder why JPA's girlfriend is standing in the middle.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Colby is amazing.. The hair..the boots...good lord the boots!

Old
01-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Is it just me, or does Colby look like a messed up Weird Al Yankovic there?

Old
01-12-2013, 02:02 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
Colby's boots are without a doubt the EPICENTER of this entire picture.

Win.
LOL I was gonna post the exact same thing. Those boots are epic. Did he show up late and not have time to change or what?

Closed Thread