HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Drij

vCash: 500
All things considered our rebuild has gone better then most other teams.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think we have to switch his nickname from "radar" to "comrade" after this.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

I just read that : •Not much progress between Avs and O’Reilly . He plans to remain in the KHL… until a contract agreement is reached.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:19 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Leaving aside the fact that the Nordiques sucked a lot worse and a lot longer than the Avs currently have been, I don't know what Sherman has or hasn't done that you can judge as not being akin to the lucky magic of Quebec. He's taken the picks when he's had them, and people seem to think Colorado has drafted reasonably well from even before his time. No, he hasn't been able to get Sakic, Nolan, Sundin and Lindros, but who the hell has? Not even Pittsburgh or Edmonton of late have backed into that sort of bonanza.

I really don't know what you expect. The rebuild has gone as it should have gone, and now the Avs have the pieces in place, including a few high picks. The franchise is looking good and has room to grow.
Well Nolan, Sundin and Lindros are 1st picks overall , i think the Nords hit bottom four years in a row it does reminds me what happenings with the Oilers right now .Sakic 15th through Dale Hunter trade (robbery)

Old
01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think we have to switch his nickname from "radar" to "comrade" after this.
Oh god lol ,im still confident to see him soon unless somethin bad did happen and nobody knows, what make me wonder is the 2 years he just signed whyyyyyyy ?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
I just read that : •Not much progress between Avs and O’Reilly . He plans to remain in the KHL… until a contract agreement is reached.
Why do I get the feeling that ROR won't be playing for Colorado this year?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:58 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
Why do I get the feeling that ROR won't be playing for Colorado this year?
He's reading it from the Hockey Insider's website...not sure how much stock one can put in that guy, as he's been known to pick fights with people like Dreger and McKenzie and Ward, etc, etc, etc.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Mouse21*

cant trust hockey insider at all.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Oh its from hockey insider? Then why do we even care?

Old
01-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Hockey Insider is a 16 year old kid from Ontario.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:27 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

I received an update from the Leafs poster named "smitty10" For those who are a bit new to this, Smitty plays shiny with O'Reilly's uncle in the Toronto area. Some on this board may not believe the information, but just talking with Smitty and looking at his profile info, I believe him and agreed to pass on any info that he sends me in PM's.

Basically, this latest update came from a chat that the two had on Thursday morning. O'Reilly's uncle says that negotiations ARE ongoing and that he DOES believe that Ryan will be back in time for the season to start...but it's sort of coming down to the info that we have been led to believe. That if the Avalanche are willing to put up the money then he is willing to stay in the KHL for the rest of the year and then continue negotiations leading to a return next season.

That was the gist of it. I think (and this is just my speculation, nothing that Smitty passed along to me) that it isn't ALL about the money (it is a business afterall) but that just as important to Ryan is the TERM of the contract. I think that they're closer on money than they are on Term.

Anyways, that was the update that was passed along to me.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I received an update from the Leafs poster named "smitty10" For those who are a bit new to this, Smitty plays shiny with O'Reilly's uncle in the Toronto area. Some on this board may not believe the information, but just talking with Smitty and looking at his profile info, I believe him and agreed to pass on any info that he sends me in PM's.

Basically, this latest update came from a chat that the two had on Thursday morning. O'Reilly's uncle says that negotiations ARE ongoing and that he DOES believe that Ryan will be back in time for the season to start...but it's sort of coming down to the info that we have been led to believe. That if the Avalanche are willing to put up the money then he is willing to stay in the KHL for the rest of the year and then continue negotiations leading to a return next season.

That was the gist of it. I think (and this is just my speculation, nothing that Smitty passed along to me) that it isn't ALL about the money (it is a business afterall) but that just as important to Ryan is the TERM of the contract. I think that they're closer on money than they are on Term.

Good to hear man. Thanks for the info. I agree with you, i Think its the term thats important to ROR he's probably fine with the money theyre offering. Hopefully they can just meet half way and agree to a 4 yr deal.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:53 AM
sgupca

Quote:

Rumor is ROR is asking for 4mil a year over 3 or 4 years.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:58 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Rumor is ROR is asking for 4mil a year over 3 or 4 years.
One of the Denver Post Sports Writers, Mike Chambers, is reporting that O'Reilly is seeking a 5 year deal at "around the money that's been given on 2-3 year deals" so it would be 3.5-3.7 a year.

As has been reported here, a 5 year deal would seemingly eat 1 year of UFA from O'Reilly, based on what was in the previous CBA and no news coming that that has changed with the new CBA.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:10 AM
sgupca

Quote:
One of the Denver Post Sports Writers, Mike Chambers, is reporting that O'Reilly is seeking a 5 year deal at "around the money that's been given on 2-3 year deals" so it would be 3.5-3.7 a year.

As has been reported here, a 5 year deal would seemingly eat 1 year of UFA from O'Reilly, based on what was in the previous CBA and no news coming that that has changed with the new CBA.
That seems like a pretty good deal for both parties.

In my opinion ROR is a younger version of Patrice Bergeron. 4mil (or just under) per year is a pretty good deal for the Avs and if they can lock him up for 5 years, that's a steal in the long run.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Avs management should take a step back and ask themselves if an ufa O'Reilly is better in 5 years than losing him now.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:27 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Avs management should take a step back and ask themselves if an ufa O'Reilly is better in 5 years than losing him now.
I don't think that is the issue. The issue is will this continue to be an issue with O'Reilly in the future? Do you have a guy that is willing to take less money to play for a potential contending Avalanche team in the future, or will he always demand top money? If he has a really big breakout season, would he hold out or become discontent that somebody makes more than him?

Basically, will this become enough of a headache that you are willing to ship him out? I personally, don't think so, but I have no connections to the negotiations.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't think that is the issue. The issue is will this continue to be an issue with O'Reilly in the future? Do you have a guy that is willing to take less money to play for a potential contending Avalanche team in the future, or will he always demand top money? If he has a really big breakout season, would he hold out or become discontent that somebody makes more than him?

Basically, will this become enough of a headache that you are willing to ship him out? I personally, don't think so, but I have no connections to the negotiations.
If Avs have a problem paying O'Reilly after giving Jones and Parenteau $4M/year this summer, the front office needs to be replaced.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post

Even if the Avs sign O'Reilly for 3 years, they still have to offer a qualifying offer to maintain their RFA rights, which means any money they give O'Reilly for 3 years they'll be guaranteed to have to give to him in the 4th year as well.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:59 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
If Avs have a problem paying O'Reilly after giving Jones and Parenteau $4M/year this summer, the front office needs to be replaced.
I don't think the problem is paying him the money (although I am not sure because after all I have always been in the "our owners don't care about hockey and don't want to spend"-camp).

The problem is that his behavior could be a sign that he will bolt at the first chance he gets if he gets a better contract elsewhere.
And that is not the mentality you want around your team. Especially if you are talking about a core guy like Radar.
I would be pissed if we lose 26yr old ROR to UFA and would rather trade him right now. Very disappointed right now.
I think both sides are handling this beyond poor.
I hope he gets either 3 or 6+ years. Every thing else would be a failure. I don't care about the money if the number is somewhat reasonable (under 4.5M)

Old
01-12-2013, 02:06 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Figured this would be an appropriate place to ask since I didn't want to create a thread.

What is going on with O'Reilly's number? Over the summer we all though he'd changed to #90 but looking at the Avalanche roster (updated either today or yesterday with all numbers for the new guys), O'Reilly's number is still #37. Have you guys heard anything on if he's not changing afterall?
he will 100% wear number 90 when he returns. Whenever that may be nobody knows, but the next time he wears an avs jersey he will wear number 90.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I don't think the problem is paying him the money (although I am not sure because after all I have always been in the "our owners don't care about hockey and don't want to spend"-camp).

The problem is that his behavior could be a sign that he will bolt at the first chance he gets if he gets a better contract elsewhere.
And that is not the mentality you want around your team. Especially if you are talking about a core guy like Radar.
I would be pissed if we lose 26yr old ROR to UFA and would rather trade him right now. Very disappointed right now.
I think both sides are handling this beyond poor.
I hope he gets either 3 or 6+ years. Every thing else would be a failure. I don't care about the money if the number is somewhat reasonable (under 4.5M)
Given Avs history with RFAs, it's much more likely that Avs are trying to lowball him here rather than O'Reilly being greedy.

All this talk about him wanting to bolt or having unrealistic salary demands is wild speculation that doesn't seem to fit with what we know about the player.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

The more I think about Radar's contract I grow more and more sure that this whole mess is about the term. Avs probably don't want to sign him to a deal that would lead him to UFA status.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Avs always want to sign RFAs to short second contracts and that's fine if the player is ok with it. That's how Bettman and owners intended second contracts to work coming out of the 2005 lockout.

But looking around the league more and more skilled RFAs get signed to longer second contracts of 5-7 years that buys a few UFA years. Avs can't get their panties in a twist if one of our players want something like that. Times change. They have to deal with situations as they arise.

I see nothing outrageous with O'Reilly wanting a five year deal if it is at a reasonable salary. It's pretty standard these days.

The sooner Avs clean up whatever stains that are around since the Lacroix days, the better off they will be.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Avs always want to sign RFAs to short second contracts and that's fine if the player is ok with it. That's how Bettman and owners intended second contracts to work coming out of the 2005 lockout.

But looking around the league more and more skilled RFAs get signed to longer second contracts of 5-7 years that buys a few UFA years. Avs can't get their panties in a twist if one of our players want something like that. Times change. They have to deal with situations as they arise.

I see nothing outrageous with O'Reilly wanting a five year deal if it is at a reasonable salary. It's pretty standard these days.

The sooner Avs clean up whatever stains that are around since the Lacroix days, the better off they will be.
Agreed.

Closed Thread