HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2013, 08:44 AM
  #301
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,027
vCash: 500
If he's looking for around $3 mill per year then he probably is worth that, the question is more what can Sather whittle him down to. There's "worth that amount" and "worth that amount to the team to sign him"

edit: I'd also say that Del Zotto is catching a ton of flack for a bad second season, even though he came back last year and played like a professional, lead the team in defensive scoring while playing solid 2nd pairing defense, and generally being a pretty damn good player.

Related, but all the talk about "Dubinsky got shipped out because he didn't live up to his contract" is pretty much bunk as well. He was an asset traded to obtain a better asset, he wasn't traded for draft picks or spare parts because his contract was a burden or something. It was very likely he would have been traded for Nash even if he had a better season or a lower contract. Trying to draw a direct cause and effect between Dubinsky's subpar season and the Nash trade is disingenuous.


Last edited by Levitate: 01-12-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:44 AM
  #302
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,663
vCash: 500
so can guys sign today and transactions be made?

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:52 AM
  #303
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so can guys sign today and transactions be made?
Not until CBA is ratified officially by NHLPA. There are some indications that will take place today.

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
The MOU will probably include a precise start time or specific reference when teams are free to do all business such as signing/trades.
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
It's my expectation some GMs are sitting on trades/signings that are done or close to done and as soon as gun goes off, there'll be activity
I guess thereafter it is off to the races with RFA signings, UFA signings (of the leftovers), eventual Europeans invited for tryouts and YES MR EKLUND - some trades.
And a 5 day training camp of course...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:52 AM
  #304
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
He can take 5 for two. 2.5 per for two years. Let him mature on and off the ice. If at that point he earned it, he can get his pay day.

McDonagh is the guy you invest in right now. No concerns about him. None on the ice, none off the ice. No consistency issues. He's a work horse, bonafied #1 shut down defenseman that will be contending for the Norris on a consistent basis.

This isn't candy we are talking about. Its millions of dollars and limited cap space. There are more important players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:54 AM
  #305
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so can guys sign today and transactions be made?
quick answer maybe.

Long answer: I posted some tweets in the lockout thread and in the around the league thread. Basically the Memo of Understanding (MOU) must be signed by both the NHL/PA and that is still being worked on by the lawyers of each side. No word on the players ratifying the deal, but I can't imagine they would deny it and that voting to ratify by the players ended at 8am today, but still have to wait for the MOU to be signed.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:56 AM
  #306
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
quick answer maybe.

Long answer: I posted some tweets in the lockout thread and in the around the league thread. Basically the Memo of Understanding (MOU) must be signed by both the NHL/PA and that is still being worked on by the lawyers of each side. No word on the players ratifying the deal, but I can't imagine they would deny it and that voting to ratify by the players ended at 8am today, but still have to wait for the MOU to be signed.
thanks guys, Im just real pumped to see what goes on the week leading up to the season, could be crazy activity even if its small signings, waivers, etc

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:18 AM
  #307
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.1238603

Quote:
The Rangers are likely looking to give Del Zotto about $1.875 million per season as they have for players in similar situations in the recent past. Del Zotto is thought to be seeking something in the ballpark of $2.3 to $2.5 million. The fact that the salary cap ceiling is falling from $70.2 million this season to $64.3 next season under the new CBA also plays a role in how much teams are willing to spend.
Pretty sure these numbers are off a bit. Too low

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
  #308
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.1238603



Pretty sure these numbers are off a bit. Too low
Brooks is saying Rangers offer is 2.4 and DZ wants 3. Thats not far apart so they should get something done

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:26 AM
  #309
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,027
vCash: 500
The cap ceiling stuff sounds like ********. The cap ceiling is staying the same as it was last summer, etc. the general value of player contracts isn't going down like we thought it might

I'd also like some examples of Del Zotto being immature on and off the ice. Seems to be something being thrown around for no reason

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:26 AM
  #310
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Heard Friday they were $ half-mil apart RT @sheabeingshea: @stevezipay #NYR gonna surprise us with any trades? How close is MDZ to signing?
This is close enough that it needs to get done.

I look at this like I looked at the lockout: I'm not pro-player or pro-owner - I'm pro get a deal done. This is a business negotiation and the parties have laid out positions that makes it pretty clear what the middle ground is.

This isn't Zherdev a few years back where there was a fundamental difference in perceived value between Slats and the agent/player; the sides are in the same ballpark and just fighting over the last 10-20% that's in play. You know - just like in the lockout.

Can everyone please do a little less pissing in this case and just get there without wasting 114 days?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:42 AM
  #311
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,887
vCash: 500
$2.75M/2 years/$5.5M

$3M/2 years/$6M

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:46 AM
  #312
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,887
vCash: 500
The folly is having a $64.3M cap with 4 players making up nearly 45% of the cap. 2 of those players are wingers.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:30 AM
  #313
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The folly is having a $64.3M cap with 4 players making up nearly 45% of the cap. 2 of those players are wingers.
We know Gaborik isn't long for the Rangers, now. Its safe to assume Nash wasn't only brought in to add scoring depth short term while Gaborik is here, but long term to replace Gaborik after he's traded or his contract expires.

That will eventually free up some cap space, but in the mean time McDonagh and Stepan need contracts, too.

2.5-2.75 is fine. As long as its under 3 million. Del Zotto isn't currently worth that much. He may eventually be worth that and more. But right now he isn't. Sather is right. He needs to sign a two year 2.5-2.75 per contract. Let him earn his pay day.

I'm more concerned about locking in McDonagh and Stepan.

Remember, the cap will be going down from 70 to 64. That's a 6 million drop. With important players needing raises. Nash and Richards aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Hagelin, Kreider...important players to keep around.

Eventually these players need to realise there isn't enough cap money to go around if they refuse to value themselves correctly based on what the new CBA and new cap structure dictates.

Del Zotto simply isn't worth it to hand out 3 million. What would McDonagh make at that point? 5? He's easily that much more valuable than Del Zotto.

Its time to start setting the future market.

It doesn't matter what players before him got. Old CBA. This is a new era, new CBA. New cap structure. New salary structure. New market. Del Zotto wanted to be paid according to the old structure? Should have extended before the CBA expired. Now he has to deal with new parameters. That's what this whole lockout was about.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:44 AM
  #314
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
We know Gaborik isn't long for the Rangers, now. Its safe to assume Nash wasn't only brought in to add scoring depth short term while Gaborik is here, but long term to replace Gaborik after he's traded or his contract expires.

That will eventually free up some cap space, but in the mean time McDonagh and Stepan need contracts, too.

2.5-2.75 is fine. As long as its under 3 million. Del Zotto isn't currently worth that much. He may eventually be worth that and more. But right now he isn't. Sather is right. He needs to sign a two year 2.5-2.75 per contract. Let him earn his pay day.

I'm more concerned about locking in McDonagh and Stepan.

Remember, the cap will be going down from 70 to 64. That's a 6 million drop. With important players needing raises. Nash and Richards aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Hagelin, Kreider...important players to keep around.

Eventually these players need to realise there isn't enough cap money to go around if they refuse to value themselves correctly based on what the new CBA and new cap structure dictates.

Del Zotto simply isn't worth it to hand out 3 million. What would McDonagh make at that point? 5? He's easily that much more valuable than Del Zotto.

Its time to start setting the future market.

It doesn't matter what players before him got. Old CBA. This is a new era, new CBA. New cap structure. New salary structure. New market. Del Zotto wanted to be paid according to the old structure? Should have extended before the CBA expired. Now he has to deal with new parameters. That's what this whole lockout was about.
whether we like it or not DZ will get 2.5 to 3 million on the open market. They can sign their RFA's then figure out where they are at. I don't want them to trade Gaborik because I want two yrs to go for the cup with both Gabby and Richards..............really their hands may be tied depending on how much McD , Stepan , Hags will get...........they do have the option of moving Staal for young players they have control over for a while.........for example if the pipe dream of all the Staals on Carolina occurs the Rangers could take back Justin Faulk on RD at 900 K..........PLUS a 1st AND a really good prospect......Does not have to be Carolina but something like that allows them to keep Gaborik and they still have a LD of McD, DZ, Skjei for the future,,,,,,,,,,makes RD Girarid, Faulk and McIlrath for future......still real good

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
  #315
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
whether we like it or not DZ will get 2.5 to 3 million on the open market. They can sign their RFA's then figure out where they are at. I don't want them to trade Gaborik because I want two yrs to go for the cup with both Gabby and Richards..............really their hands may be tied depending on how much McD , Stepan , Hags will get...........they do have the option of moving Staal for young players they have control over for a while.........for example if the pipe dream of all the Staals on Carolina occurs the Rangers could take back Justin Faulk on RD at 900 K..........PLUS a 1st AND a really good prospect......Does not have to be Carolina but something like that allows them to keep Gaborik and they still have a LD of McD, DZ, Skjei for the future,,,,,,,,,,makes RD Girarid, Faulk and McIlrath for future......still real good
Here's the problem.

You REALLY want to sacrifice Staal, one of the top shut down defensemen in the league, for an erratic Del Zotto?

No thanks.

Sacrifice Del Zotto and keep the better players.

McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Lundqvist, Richards, Nash

Are all more important than Del Zotto.

Gaborik will have to be off the roster one way or another. No way to keep him much longer.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:59 AM
  #316
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Here's the problem.

You REALLY want to sacrifice Staal, one of the top shut down defensemen in the league, for an erratic Del Zotto?

No thanks.

Sacrifice Del Zotto and keep the better players.

McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Lundqvist, Richards, Nash

Are all more important than Del Zotto.

Gaborik will have to be off the roster one way or another. No way to keep him much longer.
One could make a very, very good argument that Del Zotto is more valuable to this team than Hagelin, Kreider, and possibly Stepan.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:08 PM
  #317
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
One could make a very, very good argument that Del Zotto is more valuable to this team than Hagelin, Kreider, and possibly Stepan.
Hagelin and Kreider right now, maybe. Stepan? Not a chance in ****ing hell.

You want Boyle lining up at 2C? Good luck with that.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:15 PM
  #318
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Hagelin and Kreider right now, maybe. Stepan? Not a chance in ****ing hell.

You want Boyle lining up at 2C? Good luck with that.
Its much closer than you think if you look at it over longterm value to the franchise than a simpleton look into this year's roster.

Tell me where the playmaking defenseman with Del Zotto's upside is in the system right now?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
  #319
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its much closer than you think if you look at it over longterm value to the franchise than a simpleton look into this year's roster.

Tell me where the playmaking defenseman with Del Zotto's upside is in the system right now?
You're right, the pure offensive d-man isn't in the system right now. But where the Rangers are loaded is with young, impressive, two-way defensemen. Staal and McDonagh can bring offense. Girardi is a consistent 30 point d-man. Skjei is in the pipeline.

Problems may arise on the power play, but we've seen that Richards can run the point and he'll be here for 5 more years at least. Stepan has been experimented with on the point as well. I don't think that's a strong suit for Stepan though, who is much better along the half-board.

In that sense, where you look at it to the fact that the Rangers certainly don't have that up and coming offensive defenseman, you are right; losing Del Zotto would hurt. But looking at the future of the Rangers on the left-side of the blue line? It's not that big of a deal.

However this is all for naught, as I'm sure Del Zotto isn't going anywhere. And if he decides not to play this year because he had 0 leverage in contract negotiations coming off of his ELC? Then good riddance. I'm sure he can get his $3mil elsewhere, but the fact is, he DOESN'T have to get that from the Rangers.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:30 PM
  #320
Deathdealer
Registered User
 
Deathdealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Poughkeepsie
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
mark my words richards will be bought out at the end of next season

Deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
  #321
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 500
Whatever Del Zotto signs for, we're going to lose one of our top 3 at some point. It's inevitable and has nothing to do with MDZ. You can't have 3 defensemen making $5m+

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
  #322
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
mark my words richards will be bought out at the end of next season
so ur saying he has this yr and next to win the cup then he will be useless? I would bet your wrong. time will tell

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:34 PM
  #323
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Here's the problem.

You REALLY want to sacrifice Staal, one of the top shut down defensemen in the league, for an erratic Del Zotto?

No thanks.

Sacrifice Del Zotto and keep the better players.

McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Lundqvist, Richards, Nash

Are all more important than Del Zotto.

Gaborik will have to be off the roster one way or another. No way to keep him much longer.
could they not sign DZ for two yrs and then potentially trade him next yr if it is really tight? Teams will want a young offensive Dman............all I am saying is they will have options..........MAYBE they can fit everyone in, MAYBE they move Gaborik OR DZ or Staal..........or minor parts like Rupp, Pyatt, Stralman to fit everyone in.............we really dont know , they have options though

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:34 PM
  #324
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
mark my words richards will be bought out at the end of next season
I really, really don't see that happening.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:34 PM
  #325
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
mark my words richards will be bought out at the end of next season
I hope so too.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.