HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
n8estor
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Lol, of course! To be honest that is why I didn't want to go with the nxg. I felt the tongue would break down too soon. Plus, I use the xr5 for indoor inline and love the tongues, great flop and comfortable as hell!

Old
01-03-2013, 06:29 PM
n8estor
Rookie User

I did try on both, they fit pretty much the same on my foot. I noticed very little difference, but the one.9 did feel better. The guy at the shop was just saying that the ONLY difference was the composite outer shell. I am more concerned about the breakdown in the long run. After I played my last competitive junior game (10 years ago) I have went through 6 pairs of skates due to them breaking down in the boot. These were higher end skates as well not skates like reebok 1ks. I am just sick of throwing money away and wanted a skate to last. My current skates x:60le are hand me downs from a player I coach and the right heel slips. The boot itself is still stiff which is why I will stay with bauer as well!

Old
01-03-2013, 06:57 PM
AIREAYE

Cool, go for the One.9s.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Bojyea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Just bought some Bauer x 1.0.. not sure if I can bake them or not? Does anyone have these skates and have baked them? I am a little scared to bake them and then they will start to fall apart.
im pretty sure you cannot bake those....

Old
01-05-2013, 02:18 PM
ausername1

some noob questions:
I apologize if they have been answered already but I didn't feel like reading ALL of the many, many replies on this post...
Anyway, I currently have a pair of bauer vapor 2.0's and I guess my foot is growing because within the last few months the skates have become way too narrow and painful. The only shop nearby caters more to figure skaters and only carries grafs and ccm tacks (I saw some bauer supremes but I don't think they were in my size); would it be better to tavel to a store ~4 hrs or so away that carries all major brands so that I can see which has the best fit over all or just pick the best fit between the tacks and the grafs (and maybe supremes)?
I'm willing to spend around $150-200. I play club hockey for my school and it can get pretty competetive but I am fairly new and do not need a really high end skate, that being said I feel that after about a year of my 2.0's I can feel them maybe being too weak for me and would like some in a nicer range than that. We practice maybe 2-3 times per week for a couple hours and I also plan on playing some pick-up and public skate so maybe 10-15 hrs of skating/week.
I've also heard problems for people adjusting from tacks to newer skates and am wondering if that logic works backwards? i.e., if I tried the tacks would I have trouble adjusting to those from newer skates?
Thanks for any input, let me know if I should include anything else that would help.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
AIREAYE

I say try the Tacks and Grafs first and if they're both 'meh' then definitely make the trek. Finding the correct skates will be worth it.

Wow that shop has Tacks?? They'd be at least 7 or 8 years old.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausername1 View Post
some noob questions:
I apologize if they have been answered already but I didn't feel like reading ALL of the many, many replies on this post...
Anyway, I currently have a pair of bauer vapor 2.0's and I guess my foot is growing because within the last few months the skates have become way too narrow and painful. The only shop nearby caters more to figure skaters and only carries grafs and ccm tacks (I saw some bauer supremes but I don't think they were in my size); would it be better to tavel to a store ~4 hrs or so away that carries all major brands so that I can see which has the best fit over all or just pick the best fit between the tacks and the grafs (and maybe supremes)?
I'm willing to spend around $150-200. I play club hockey for my school and it can get pretty competetive but I am fairly new and do not need a really high end skate, that being said I feel that after about a year of my 2.0's I can feel them maybe being too weak for me and would like some in a nicer range than that. We practice maybe 2-3 times per week for a couple hours and I also plan on playing some pick-up and public skate so maybe 10-15 hrs of skating/week.
I've also heard problems for people adjusting from tacks to newer skates and am wondering if that logic works backwards? i.e., if I tried the tacks would I have trouble adjusting to those from newer skates?
Thanks for any input, let me know if I should include anything else that would help.
For that price range the 4.0 is pretty good. I hear alot of people like them and they are for your playing skill level it seems like. I believe the 4.0 are bakeable but i'll have to double check. That could be your problem too.

That or try the Tackla or Graf like AI said.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Hey, has anyone tried Reebok boa lace skates?

Old
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Can 20K's be baked like any other skate? Or does the pump cause an issue with the Reeboks?

Old
01-09-2013, 10:49 AM
AIREAYE

Deflate the pump prior to putting it in the oven. Deflate once more either when they are on the foot or both when they are on and before putting them on. Do not pump until the baking process is over.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:09 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

First off, let me say this has been a very interesting and informative thread. When get around to buying new skates, I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to find the right skates (with a bit of effort -- especially given the limited offerings here in Japan).

Next I have a history question: My skates are old Bauer Air 50s I bought back when I thought one size below my shoe size was correct (which was after I bought hockey roller blades that matched my shoe size), so I have some size nines that, while technically too big, haven't given me much trouble... maybe... I guess. My question (finally) is where in the range of low-end, mid, high, etc. did the Air 50s fall? I got them on clearance about 14 years ago, from a general athletics store so there was no information given or gathered about that.

The reason I ask it that despite having just started playing ice hockey this past June, I want to buy some better skates and would like to be able to compare my Air 50s to skates I might purchase (with an upgrade in mind).

I'm an ok skater, and would like to buy a quality pair of skates that'll last me a while. Also, I'm 6'1"/185cm, and about 135lb/60kg, so I'm no Lindros. I was really surprised to find that size 7 or 7.5 skates fit me according to the proper fit recommendations I've read here. Given my height, could such "small" skates cause me any balance issues (i.e. falling on my face due to my tiny feet, which are also very narrow and super bony)?

I guess there's a lot to read here, but any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you, Aireye, for taking the time to start, and maintain this thread!

Old
01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
AIREAYE

You're welcome! It would be so cool to play hockey in Asia.

The Air 50s were before my time so I the only knowledge I have on them is from the always-handy-for-retro-gear-not-as-much-for-current-gear Perani's site: http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...product_id/876

So they originally retailed for around $200? I would guess that they would be a low end skate then. Not the bottom of the barrel. Skate technology has greatly improved over the years, so you would see an upgrade if you put yourself in a present-day $200 boot. Better performance and much stiffer.

How much are you willing to spend?

See if you can find some Bauer Nexus skates to try, while it might be a little wide, you should be reminded of how those Air 50 skates feel. The Nexus 400 should be right at that pricepoint. For a narrower foot, I would see if I can find some Vapors to try as well. Also see if you can find some Easton Synergy skates (preferably from either EQ series). If those don't work, try Bauer Supreme.

If you get skates that fit right, you should have no problem in the long run on balance.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
neksys

Does anyone know what the real differences are between Easton's EQ5s and EQ50s? The EQ50s are on clearance.

I have a pair of EQ5s that I quite like, but the more I wear them, the more I'm convinced they're half a size too big for me - I'm not feeling totally "locked in" and as my skating improves I find them sort of sloppy (for lack of a better word).

The EQ5s are on deep clearance ($150-170) while the EQ50s are more like $250. I'm tempted to spring for a slightly different size in the EQ5s, but would consider the EQ50s if they are an improvement. They feel about the same on my feet in the store.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You're welcome! It would be so cool to play hockey in Asia.

The Air 50s were before my time so I the only knowledge I have on them is from the always-handy-for-retro-gear-not-as-much-for-current-gear Perani's site: http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...product_id/876

So they originally retailed for around $200? I would guess that they would be a low end skate then. Not the bottom of the barrel. Skate technology has greatly improved over the years, so you would see an upgrade if you put yourself in a present-day $200 boot. Better performance and much stiffer.

How much are you willing to spend?

See if you can find some Bauer Nexus skates to try, while it might be a little wide, you should be reminded of how those Air 50 skates feel. The Nexus 400 should be right at that pricepoint. For a narrower foot, I would see if I can find some Vapors to try as well. Also see if you can find some Easton Synergy skates (preferably from either EQ series). If those don't work, try Bauer Supreme.

If you get skates that fit right, you should have no problem in the long run on balance.
Thank you so much Aireaye! (And my apologies for misspelling your name in my previous post -- just caught that.)

Yeah, I recall paying about $175 for my skates (maybe not "clearance" after all).

I'm willing to spend about $700 if I have to (being able to do so easily is a different story), but what I've read in this thread has lead me to believe that, due to my skill level and size, I won't need to buy something so high end (stiffness/break-in issues, etc). So being able to find something worthwhile at a lower price range is good news -- especially given the increases in technology.

Thanks, too, for the skate suggestions. Ultimately, fit will be the deciding factor, but I'm glad to see Bauer and Easton on the list. I like to be brand loyal, but don't want that to cause me to pick the wrong skates. We have Bauer, CCM, and Reeboks here (all in very limited quantities and varieties), but Easton is non-existent.

Playing (and learning) here in Japan is interesting. I'm about 6 inches taller than most of the other players, and due to their smaller size, I don't give up nearly as much weight as I would were I playing in North America. A few weeks ago I played against a Canadian guy who was about 6'2", 250lb. That was way different. I need to drastically increase my leg strength to be able to slow a guy like that.

Thanks again! Hopefully I'll be able to find the right pair despite the limited options!

Old
01-11-2013, 09:10 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
went to my hockey practice/game with my synergy skates and not too bad except after 40 mins the left foot started to hurt where that little bone bump is above the inner arch. Chafe mark the size of a nickel which scraped some skin off. Luckily does not look like a blister. Still, would like to have a reasonably tight skate without this, any suggestions?

So far my best idea is maybe using a large bandaid for protection.Or a gauze pad. I was already wearing cushioned hockey socks. I also have a liner sock I can wear, should I put those under the cushioned ones like hiking shoes?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:05 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97980208 View Post
Thank you so much Aireaye! (And my apologies for misspelling your name in my previous post -- just caught that.)

Yeah, I recall paying about $175 for my skates (maybe not "clearance" after all).

I'm willing to spend about $700 if I have to (being able to do so easily is a different story), but what I've read in this thread has lead me to believe that, due to my skill level and size, I won't need to buy something so high end (stiffness/break-in issues, etc). So being able to find something worthwhile at a lower price range is good news -- especially given the increases in technology.

Thanks, too, for the skate suggestions. Ultimately, fit will be the deciding factor, but I'm glad to see Bauer and Easton on the list. I like to be brand loyal, but don't want that to cause me to pick the wrong skates. We have Bauer, CCM, and Reeboks here (all in very limited quantities and varieties), but Easton is non-existent.

Playing (and learning) here in Japan is interesting. I'm about 6 inches taller than most of the other players, and due to their smaller size, I don't give up nearly as much weight as I would were I playing in North America. A few weeks ago I played against a Canadian guy who was about 6'2", 250lb. That was way different. I need to drastically increase my leg strength to be able to slow a guy like that.

Thanks again! Hopefully I'll be able to find the right pair despite the limited options!
Aha I don't care about that, but thanks.

I'm glad your attitude is about fit because I know it's hard to get the best selection over there. A fellow member here (michaelshu) is a pretty good player over in Indonesia and we had a little conversation about his skates as well. Maybe he could give you some insight into his experiences as well. (Yay networking!)

Well, I typically would steer beginner players, weak skaters and skinnier/smaller minor hockey players relative to ability away from the higher end skates, even if they want them. If they insist then I'll obviously take the money lol. However use your better judgement on this one. If you feel that you are a competent skater (can do all of the basic skills, crossovers, stop starts, pivoting and backwards crossovers) and you believe that added lateral ankle support would benefit your edge control and stability, then by all means look up. A higher end skate would typically be more durable as well.

I'm about your weight +/- 5lbs and around 5'10" on a good day. I believe I am a competent skater (see above) and I wear a stiff top end skate which helped me greatly. I moved from a pair of Mission AmpFlys to my current Easton S15s.

If you feel that you are competent enough, then a stiffer skate would definitely help you. While you should probably not need to spend 700 for pretty much top-end skates, mid-end skates would be excellent value. Especially coming from the skates you have. Throwing out some examples, the Vapor X 4.0 and 5.0 skates are great, Nexus 600 or 800, Easton EQ40/EQ4 etc.

Keep us updated if you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
went to my hockey practice/game with my synergy skates and not too bad except after 40 mins the left foot started to hurt where that little bone bump is above the inner arch. Chafe mark the size of a nickel which scraped some skin off. Luckily does not look like a blister. Still, would like to have a reasonably tight skate without this, any suggestions?

So far my best idea is maybe using a large bandaid for protection.Or a gauze pad. I was already wearing cushioned hockey socks. I also have a liner sock I can wear, should I put those under the cushioned ones like hiking shoes?
Bone bump above inner arch...navicular bone!

You have several options here:
- If you feel that, overall, you would benefit if the whole skate boot were to be broken in more, then I would re bake that boot. Once warm and laced up, I would press in (hands, get creative etc.) on that problem spot to further help create a manual indent
- If you feel that the rest of the skate feels fine and that's your only problem spot, I would ask the shop you got them at to punch in that spot for you to, again, create an indent
- If you do not have access to that, you could spot treat that area yourself at home: Lace up your skate(s) tightly, grab a heat gun or hair dryer and warm up the problem spot and do the second half of option 1. You could create a small mound of tape, gauze etc. on that problem spot on your foot to further push in that indent

Old
01-12-2013, 12:29 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Quote:
Aha I don't care about that, but thanks.

I'm glad your attitude is about fit because I know it's hard to get the best selection over there. A fellow member here (michaelshu) is a pretty good player over in Indonesia and we had a little conversation about his skates as well. Maybe he could give you some insight into his experiences as well. (Yay networking!)

Well, I typically would steer beginner players, weak skaters and skinnier/smaller minor hockey players relative to ability away from the higher end skates, even if they want them. If they insist then I'll obviously take the money lol. However use your better judgement on this one. If you feel that you are a competent skater (can do all of the basic skills, crossovers, stop starts, pivoting and backwards crossovers) and you believe that added lateral ankle support would benefit your edge control and stability, then by all means look up. A higher end skate would typically be more durable as well.

I'm about your weight +/- 5lbs and around 5'10" on a good day. I believe I am a competent skater (see above) and I wear a stiff top end skate which helped me greatly. I moved from a pair of Mission AmpFlys to my current Easton S15s.

If you feel that you are competent enough, then a stiffer skate would definitely help you. While you should probably not need to spend 700 for pretty much top-end skates, mid-end skates would be excellent value. Especially coming from the skates you have. Throwing out some examples, the Vapor X 4.0 and 5.0 skates are great, Nexus 600 or 800, Easton EQ40/EQ4 etc.

Keep us updated if you can!
I already mentioned that I have ice skates that are too large,and *both* of my pairs of Bauer rollerblades (from about '95 or '96) match my shoe size (yeah, I was *really* ignorant when it came to sizing, but, again, no apparent problems), so I'm eager to buy and wear a pair of properly fitted skates.

I guess as an "ok" skater, I can move around without falling, but the skills you listed are very shaky in my case. I've only been on the ice just under 20 times since the beginning of June, and have a long way to go, but I was a pretty good skater in roller hockey ten years ago. I think some better/correctly sized skates might help me out (though I know my ability is what really counts).

Also, I noticed not to long ago that the holder (Tuuk+) on my right boot rides the inside edge of the boot, but the left one is almost a centimeter towards the outside different. Obviously, I got a manufacture's flaw, but didn't realize that until about two weeks ago (I was pretty bummed, and that's also a major motivation for my suddenly wanting to upgrade my skates).

I would like some skates with good ankle support and padding, as I've had a few ankle issues. When I was 17 I wore two or three pairs of socks and tied my roller blades blindingly tight for deck hockey and did something to my right inner ankle bone and the area on the side of the foot below and behind the bone. That took three months of rest to clear up and then I was fine with the same skates (with fewer socks and not so tight) for years. Then two years ago I wore one pair of thin socks and re-aggravated the same injury after three hours of counter-clockwise ice skating at a public rink. The skates didn't feel too tight or lacking in support and wearing one pair of socks felt great, so I'm not sure what was up. My ankles still give me trouble now. I just started lacing my skates Canadian style (worn that way once at a public skate last week), and that feels amazing. I do find that my feet go numb when I tighten my skates to my liking, but that may be do to my skeletal feet and the fact that the veins in the top of my foot are, therefore, unavoidably strangled.

I know I have a lot of long posts in the last day or two, but I'm obsessed with finding (**finally**) the "perfect" skates. All your advice and input has been very helpful.

By the way, I noticed that some of the skates I tried on last week (I forget which ones; Bauer I think), had a marketing sticker on the bottom of the sole that read "Japan Custom." I'm fairly certain that has nothing to do with Japanese customs and importing skates, but rather refers to some sort of sizing difference. Do you know anything about that? (Or maybe Michaelshu does)

Old
01-12-2013, 07:02 AM
AussieFlyersFan

Hey guys, I recently changed from Bauer x2.0 because i had arch issues, I tried every skate in the shop and changed to the CCM U+10's which have been a fanstatic skate apart from the incredibly painful pressure that i get directly on the ankle bone. I've had them baked twice and tried to DIY punch out the skate in the ankle area but neither has really helped. I've been skating in the ccm's for about 3 months, about 3-4 days a week so i would've thought they'd be broken in by now. I don't really want to have to change skates again because the CCM's did fit me the best.Is this a problem that can be fixed? Or has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? Thanks

Old
01-12-2013, 10:40 AM
AIREAYE

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as custom made skate lines for a particular country. I know there are certain stick and glove models available only in Europe, but skates should be universal provided that they are indeed catalog skates and not SMU products for a retailer. What skate was it? Most likely it had something to do with, like you said, importing.

Regarding your CCM skates, I'm going to assume that they've been baked properly by people who know what they're doing and not in a home oven for example. What kind of pain is it? Do you think it's the pressure pain caused by the sheer amount of padding against your ankle bone? Or is there friction involved (rubbing)?

Old
01-12-2013, 10:58 AM
AussieFlyersFan

Quote:
Regarding your CCM skates, I'm going to assume that they've been baked properly by people who know what they're doing and not in a home oven for example. What kind of pain is it? Do you think it's the pressure pain caused by the sheer amount of padding against your ankle bone? Or is there friction involved (rubbing)?
I would say its more to do with the amount of padding, no friction involved as my foot/heel is locked in when the skate is tied. Initially it only happend to my right but now it's both.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:57 PM
AIREAYE

Does it hurt when you stand up or when your knees are bent/you lean forward?

Old
01-12-2013, 04:24 PM
shinchanyo

Been skating over a year now. had two learn to skate sessions and I'm on my second learn to play program. they're 14 week sessions.

Despite all the public skatng, open hockey, sessions my sdkates still torture my feet. 7.5 EE so I got remeasured and the pro shop guy asked me where I felt pain. The area between my toes and the arch of my foot is exceptionally wide and that's where all the pain is and he said the solution was some kind of press that will expand the skates. Does this sound familiar to any1? He says it will take 1 week to fully stretch them.

Last edited by shinchanyo: 01-13-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 04:56 PM
AIREAYE

Stretching will make a skate wider.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:09 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Well, it's update time:

Today I spent a few hours at the local shop trying on skates. The selection was limited, so I tried some size 8 Reeboks, which were way too big, and some size 7 Bauer Supreme One.20s which were well below what I'm looking for in just about every way. Then I tried some size 7D (called 7R in Japan) One.4s, which felt ok, except my toes were a bit crunched when I stood up (not simply brushing the toe cap). Just for kicks I tried some 6.5EE Supreme One.6s, and, oddly enough, they felt better, and longer than the One.4s, but gave just a bit too much lateral wiggle room at the widest part of my foot. Lastly, I tried on some Vapor X.4s, but didn't like the feel.

So, I'm going to order some Supreme One.6s in a 7D. With what I know from this thread and what I learned today at the shop in relation to my feet, I think the size sevens will be ok (and 7.5s would be too big), and if they're not, then I'll just have to go through the hassle of exchanging them. I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of buying skates online and would have loved to have bought from my local guys, but their supplier had no size sevens available. Ah well, now I'll just have to wait a few weeks for delivery.

One plus is that they are $400 here, but are half that online. After paying for shipping from my parents' place and another $30 for the local guys to bake and sharpen them, I save a little bit.

Aireaye: Any more words of wisdom (or dissuasion) before I place my order?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:23 AM
AussieFlyersFan

Quote:
Does it hurt when you stand up or when your knees are bent/you lean forward?
It happens from the moment I lace up my skates, it's a constant pressure that gets worse the longer I'm on the ice.

Closed Thread