HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brian Burke "floored" by dismissal as Toronto GM

Old
01-12-2013, 10:24 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post

I think you understate how much of a mistake it was for Burke to go out and sign Komisarek and Beauchemin and trade for Kessel in his first offseason. He absolutely should have tore it down even further and built through the draft.

I like many of Burke's moves, but I'm glad he's fired and feel he deserves it based on how badly he misjudged the team and tried to fast track the development without first acquiring the foundational pieces. Mistakes need to be paid for and I'm glad he's gone.

Hopefully Nonis stays true to his word and remains patient for this lockout shortened year and gets a top pick in the draft and builds the foundation first. Although you never know with this ownership.
JFj had already identified the need to rebuild, but the board would not let him do so.

Had he not been forced to try and make the playoffs the rebuild would have started almost a decade ago.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Budsfan

We will soon find out what Burke has on his mind, Presser is for 12 noon.

Live stream here...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/maple...ss_conference/

and here

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page....id=DL|TOR|home

Last edited by Budsfan: 01-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:32 AM
leafers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Leaf homers like fourofakindfowl have very selective memory. Apparently thinks were really bad before Burke got here, and this is true. But they seem to forget that we've literally been a worse team, through and through, since he came in. You can name-drop all day line combos to make the team look better on paper, but the end result is we're worse now than when he came in. Our farm is no better, our roster is no better. We haven't had a legit goaltender since Ed Belfour and it's been 8 years for F's sake.

and because of Burke, we'll likely finish near the bottom again this season. Thanks Burke. You did so much for us.

Ya schmuck.
Stating facts and the truth equals being a homer?

leafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
and you agree with this?
I understand it completely, and am not one of those questioning why it occurred because I have been posting for the last year it was "Playoffs or Bust" for the Burke /Wilson management combo. So I might be the least surprised poster on this board by this decision.

When Tanenbaun had to humble himself to say "I'm sorry" for the poor performance of the team (a reflection by extension on GM) claiming fans deserve better, I knew the winds of change were blowing at MLSE. There was never going to be a second apology letter, and really Burke should have been fired on timing with the last one, otherwise it was simple empty promises. Burke likely got a short reprieve only due to ownership change in progress.

I was also however excited when news of Bell/Rogers taking over was coming down the pipeline believing only time, and patience on my part was now required before what I fully expected to happen would come to fruition as it did.

So YES !!!

01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Budsfan

Just watching the PTS with Bob McCown, it's on the same place where the Presser will be streamed... Pretty funny.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/maple...ss_conference/

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:40 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
2 months after getting extended? Yeah, talk about poor timing. Just another confused Burke action.
This one may have had alot to do with what happened...talk about a back door deal with your good buddy...was it an extension or a guranteed severance package?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:54 AM
thom

I'm not a big fan of Burke but I will say that if the corporate world did not like his private life well how does Michael Jordan own an NBA team there are many examples where corporate ceo' have done criminal acts?And brian has done none

thom is offline   Reply With Quote