HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The "Ruf"fled Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2012, 03:37 PM
CootaRoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Anyone giving Ross 3 years isnt very bright. He hasnt shown enough to warrant giving a 3 year deal. me personally I would see if Ross takes a 1 year deal then giving up a asset to acquire Vernon Wells who barely hit his weight last year.
if Ross wants 3 years, hell even 2 I would say fine have fun playing elsewhere.
I am not sure about this, but I think Ross was willing to platoon in Boston before Ellsbury got hurt and he most of the season.
I dont know what his options are, if the Sox wanted him they probably would of signed him over Victorino was got severely overpaid by Boston. The Mets need an OF, doubt he goes to a last place team. Who else needs an OF gotta think the guy is running out of options and they are maybe even less options if he REALLY, REALLY wants an everday job.
Man, I have no idea why, but like half a dozen teams are jumping over themselves for Ross. Its been rumored the Mariners have already offered 3/30 to him, which is where I was pulling those numbers. He just met with Texas today who are probably feeling pretty desperate about now, too. Poor Nick Swisher... being QO'd really took a dump on his value, imo - I know I'd love to grab him if he didn't cost a 1st rounder.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:53 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I just want baseball season.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Hmm.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/88...ended-50-games

EDIT: Nevermind. It was pot. Not much of a story. I just saw the 50 game suspension and assumed the "drug" violation was a PED-related.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:40 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Hmm.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/88...ended-50-games

EDIT: Nevermind. It was pot. Not much of a story. I just saw the 50 game suspension and assumed the "drug" violation was a PED-related.
Yet if he got a DUI he probably would of only gotten a stern talking to from management. 50 games for smoking weed is a joke.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:46 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Yet if he got a DUI he probably would of only gotten a stern talking to from management. 50 games for smoking weed is a joke.
You get a warning for the first positive test in the minors and then suspended if you fail again. I think you just get a fine in the majors.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:38 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Spring Training tickets go on sale this morning. Anyone else headed down?

Old
01-12-2013, 11:21 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...d=19360#131023

Baseballprospectus released their top 10 for the phillies,

The Top Ten
1.LHP Jesse Biddle
2.3B Maikel Franco
3.LHP Adam Morgan
4.IF Roman Quinn
5.C/1B Tommy Joseph
6.RHP Ethan Martin
7.3B Cody Asche
8.RHP Jonathan Pettibone
9.OF Carlos Tocci
10. RHP Shane Watson

Should be interesting to see what a couple of them can do over the next 2 years as a few should be getting very close to making the majors. Looking forward to seeing what Tocci can do as a 17 year old, if they will advance him to Lakewood (A-) or have him go to the crosscutters (NY Penn league, rookie ball). Also a big fan of Martin and Morgan to go with Biddle that's 3 possible good arms even if one ends up in the pen, could be huge if the phils could get some good cheap years out of at least one or two, in the next 2 years or so.

If Franco continues on the pace he had in the 2nd half of last year he could be a legit top 100 prospect imo, he struggled in the 1st half but once he got going it was really impressive to watch. Got to see him a good bit and he can mash, not very quick though and of course there will be talk about what his true age might be but if he's really 20 then the next 2 years should be very telling if the phils have a legit 3B prospect. Quinn is another one that is very exciting to watch, so damn fast, can't wait to see what he does at Lakewood assuming that's where he ends up. I expect he'll continue with the high error rate at SS since he's learning the position but his speed is elite and he looked good at the plate in the few times i saw him.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Krishna

he Phillies have signed Rodrigo Lopez to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training, reports Fernando Ballesteros at the Mexican baseball magazine Puro Béisbol. The right-hander confirmed the agreement to Juan Santana at the TV station Canal 3 in Mexico. Nick Collias provided the translation.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...SCb2GBqQP0t.99

Old
01-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
If Franco continues on the pace he had in the 2nd half of last year he could be a legit top 100 prospect imo, he struggled in the 1st half but once he got going it was really impressive to watch. Got to see him a good bit and he can mash, not very quick though and of course there will be talk about what his true age might be but if he's really 20 then the next 2 years should be very telling if the phils have a legit 3B prospect. Quinn is another one that is very exciting to watch, so damn fast, can't wait to see what he does at Lakewood assuming that's where he ends up. I expect he'll continue with the high error rate at SS since he's learning the position but his speed is elite and he looked good at the plate in the few times i saw him.
These I agree with. Baseball America tends to favor prospects with more experience, even if what they displayed in that extra time is mediocre or lacking an upward trend. When evaluating talent, I prefer trajectory over accrued time. I love everything I have seen out of Franco. He's quite good defensively already, which matters in getting a shot, and also has displayed enough plate discipline and raw power for me to believe he's our most promising position player prospect. While I do like Esche, I just don't see his ceiling being as high as Franco's (his floor is higher though imo).

Old
01-12-2013, 12:35 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
he Phillies have signed Rodrigo Lopez to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training, reports Fernando Ballesteros at the Mexican baseball magazine Puro Béisbol. The right-hander confirmed the agreement to Juan Santana at the TV station Canal 3 in Mexico. Nick Collias provided the translation.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...SCb2GBqQP0t.99
Depth signing. He had a couple nice spot starts in 09 with the Phillies. Doubt we see him this year, but you never know.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 01-12-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 12:46 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
These I agree with. Baseball America tends to favor prospects with more experience, even if what they displayed in that extra time is mediocre or lacking an upward trend. When evaluating talent, I prefer trajectory over accrued time. I love everything I have seen out of Franco. He's quite good defensively already, which matters in getting a shot, and also has displayed enough plate discipline and raw power for me to believe he's our most promising position player prospect. While I do like Esche, I just don't see his ceiling being as high as Franco's (his floor is higher though imo).
Regardless of who you like better, the Phillies are developing some nice depth at the hot corner. Chances are someone will emerge at the big league level.

Asche
Franco
Martinez
Walding
Perkins
Green

Old
01-12-2013, 12:46 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Wrong sport there, buddy But I know what you meant. It's likely that Franco's ceiling is higher, but I have a hard time saying Asche's ceiling is only a solid regular. Some of the scouting reports on him last year contradict the ones from the year before when he was drafted, regarding his power especially. His performance was good enough and he's young enough that it wouldn't surprise me if he was getting sold short a little.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Wrong sport there, buddy But I know what you meant. It's likely that Franco's ceiling is higher, but I have a hard time saying Asche's ceiling is only a solid regular. Some of the scouting reports on him last year contradict the ones from the year before when he was drafted, regarding his power especially. His performance was good enough and he's young enough that it wouldn't surprise me if he was getting sold short a little.
A solid-regular is a pretty good compliment for a guy of Asche's profile.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:01 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
A solid-regular is a pretty good compliment for a guy of Asche's profile.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it and a cost-controlled league average starter is a valuable thing, I'm just thinking in terms of ceiling here. The scouts seemed to like his power pre-draft, and then that changed when he hit all those singles in Clearwater. He hit for a lot more power in Reading though, and even though it's a hitter's park his HR projection was pretty good. He was also 21 for almost the first half of last season, so age is on his side a little. I think he has a chance to improve his profile.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it and a cost-controlled league average starter is a valuable thing, I'm just thinking in terms of ceiling here. The scouts seemed to like his power pre-draft, and then that changed when he hit all those singles in Clearwater. He hit for a lot more power in Reading though, and even though it's a hitter's park his HR projection was pretty good. He was also 21 for almost the first half of last season, so age is on his side a little. I think he has a chance to improve his profile.
I think its a matter of not knowing what Asche you are going to get. Are you going to get the one coming out of college known as a power guy, the one who struggled big time at Williamsport, the one at Clearwater who raked, but didn't show any power or patience, or the one at Reading who showed a little bit of everything. I feel like I say this about every prospect, but this a big year for Asche. He'll most likely have accrued 1000 career minor league at bats and hopefully we'll see him put his whole game on display- hitting, power, patience, and improved defense. I think and hope we'll know better what kind of prospect Asche is after this season.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:35 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
I think its a matter of not knowing what Asche you are going to get. Are you going to get the one coming out of college known as a power guy, the one who struggled big time at Williamsport, the one at Clearwater who raked, but didn't show any power or patience, or the one at Reading who showed a little bit of everything. I feel like I say this about every prospect, but this a big year for Asche. He'll most likely have accrued 1000 career minor league at bats and hopefully we'll see him put his whole game on display- hitting, power, patience, and improved defense. I think and hope we'll know better what kind of prospect Asche is after this season.
Totally agree. That's why I'm not comfortable saying "his ceiling is only ..." nor will I say his ceiling is an all-star type. His lines at Clearwater and Reading look like two completely different players. Hopefully it's the best of both worlds for him next year but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Regardless of who you like better, the Phillies are developing some nice depth at the hot corner. Chances are someone will emerge at the big league level.

Asche
Franco
Martinez
Walding
Perkins
Green
Walding is my sleeper pick for this season to have a breakout year. He fell apart in the 2nd half but really like his swing and hope he gets back on track.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:11 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Walding is my sleeper pick for this season to have a breakout year. He fell apart in the 2nd half but really like his swing and hope he gets back on track.
Same here. He's got good skills. Its just a matter of consistency.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
flyersguy33*

phillies avoid arb with bastardo. 1.4 mil for this season

Old
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Phillies Sign Delmon Young
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 22 at 1:52pm CST]

The Phillies announced that they signed Delmon Young to a one-year, $750K deal. The contract includes performance bonuses for the Wasserman Media Group client. The Phillies are looking for the former first overall pick to compete for playing time at a corner outfield position.

“Delmon is an experienced major league bat who will add some depth to our relatively inexperienced outfield and another layer of competition for playing time there as well,” GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said.

The Phillies had internal debate about Young for weeks, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports (on Twitter). While ownership was nervous about his off-field issues, the team needed a right-handed bat.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#QPBSxGzDM5dQPdcr.99
I like the Young, Cook, and Cruz signings. They are all low risk, moderate reward options. Players like this are additionally nice in that (depending on their and the teams performance) could return longer term assets if we aren't in contention in July. I don't expect that, but just an added bonus given last year.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
FlyersFan61290

I really like the Young signing. If he can keep his head on straight and puts in the work he'll be a good player. And if he doesn't he's gone next yr so it's no biggie

Old
01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I think if anything, the Phils will have some decent bats off the bench which has sorely been missing IMO

Old
01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
CootaRoo

The reason I dislike the Young signing (other than him being a locker room cancer and overall jackass that I don't want near my team) is it means that Darin Ruff to AAA is almost a lock now (both he and Young are RHBs that play subpar LF - tough to squeeze two of them on the same roster). Unless they trade Mayberry for a bag of balls... which would be equally as dumb as demoting Ruff (1. He is worth more than that if he gets the chance ('11) to prove himself and 2. He is the only other one of their NINE OFers on the 40 man that can realistically play CF when Revere needs a day off).

Still, at least it wasn't completely assinine, like trading Brown for Soriano, losing a relatively high 1st rounder to sign Swisher or locking into a multi-year deal for Ross... so in that respect I'm happy.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:39 PM
FLYguy3911

Woof. I like Delmon Young as a player more than most people, but Delmon Young isn't an NL player. Maybe on a team with great OF defense could you hide a guy like him, but if and when you have to pair him with Ruf or Brown, its going to be bad. Now maybe if he gets into unbelievable shape he could be passable in the OF. He's got/had a tremendous arm though. He's a decent hitter, but he doesn't walk and his power doesn't make up for that. Good news is its only 1 year at 700k.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
The reason I dislike the Young signing (other than him being a locker room cancer and overall jackass that I don't want near my team) is it means that Darin Ruff to AAA is almost a lock now (both he and Young are RHBs that play subpar LF - tough to squeeze two of them on the same roster). Unless they trade Mayberry for a bag of balls... which would be equally as dumb as demoting Ruff (1. He is worth more than that if he gets the chance ('11) to prove himself and 2. He is the only other one of their NINE OFers on the 40 man that can realistically play CF when Revere needs a day off).

Still, at least it wasn't completely assinine, like trading Brown for Soriano, losing a relatively high 1st rounder to sign Swisher or locking into a multi-year deal for Ross... so in that respect I'm happy.
Generally speaking, I support competition. If Ruf wins the job in spring training, I can easily see Young coming off the bench as a PH. Last year, we handed Mayberry the job and he killed us most of the year before coming on late. We can insulate ourselves a bit from Ruf starting slow and push him with a veteran.

Young is definitely a headcase, but for 1 year and less the a million... not much that he can do to us.

Closed Thread