HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Old
01-12-2013, 11:36 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
mark my words richards will be bought out at the end of next season
No chance.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
mark my words richards will be bought out at the end of next season
The only conceivable way this is happening is if the Rangers win the cup in the next 2 seasons and the focus shifts to a more longterm strategy.

Unfortunately, you're trying to look smart by saying this and its one of the dumber things this team could do - #1 centers dont exactly grow on trees.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:50 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
No chance.
(For the record, we're talking about a compliance buy-out which has no cap effect, not a "standard" buy-out.)

I don't think it's certain, but I think there is definitely a REAL chance that it happens during the summer of '14. At that point he'll be 34 with 6 years remaining on his deal at an annual cap hit of $6.67MM.

Depending on where the cap comes in for the '14-'15 season and how he performs this year and next you'd definitely have to consider it - especially given that we have FOURTEEN players with contracts that end that same summer...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:56 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I don't see it being Richards they buy out. Redden is a certainty, but Richards is a guy that you can definitely move without having to buy out. 34 for a center isn't ancient by any means.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:07 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I don't see it being Richards they buy out. Redden is a certainty, but Richards is a guy that you can definitely move without having to buy out. 34 for a center isn't ancient by any means.
You get two buyouts, so using one on Redden doesn't preclude you from buying out Richie.

I'm not saying it's a done deal, but 34 is definitely on the downside and we will have a LOT of talent just entering its prime needing new deals - not to mention the fact that you never know who will be available then in UFA or between now and then via trade. If the cap doesn't rise significantly from $64.3MM, it is most definitely an option that may need to be considered.

Especially since the alternative may well be buying him out at 37 or 38 when it WOULD have a cap effect...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
You get two buyouts, so using one on Redden doesn't preclude you from buying out Richie.

I'm not saying it's a done deal, but 34 is definitely on the downside and we will have a LOT of talent just entering its prime needing new deals - not to mention the fact that you never know who will be available then in UFA or between now and then via trade. If the cap doesn't rise significantly from $64.3MM, it is most definitely an option that may need to be considered.

Especially since the alternative may well be buying him out at 37 or 38 when it WOULD have a cap effect...
I think Richards fate very much depends on if we win a Cup (or 2 ) the next 2 seasons. If we win one, we might consider it. If we win two, I think it is a very realistic alternative. If we do not win any but are still close - far less likely IMO. Time will tell - moot speculation...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

I thought the (2) compliance buyouts needed to be executed this summer, prior to the 13-14 season..

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:21 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Even if you move him, you're still looking at a big cap benefit recapture charge if he retires early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I thought the (2) compliance buyouts needed to be executed this summer, prior to the 13-14 season..
There was definitely some confusion, but it seems accepted now that the two compliance buy-outs need to be completed by the summer of 2014.

-31- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Even if you move him, you're still looking at a big cap benefit recapture charge if he retires early.

There was definitely some confusion, but it seems accepted now that the two compliance buy-outs need to be completed by the summer of 2014.
Well if that's the case then it would be in consideration but that all depends on a few things:

Do we win a cup in the next 2 seasons before the buyouts need to be executed?

Does Gaborik want to stay here and will do so at a reduced cost?

What players emerge from the depth pool to provide answers to a loss of Richards caliber?

Etc, etc.

I can see, if we win a cup before then, Gaborik gets resigned for less, and the buyout can be used prior to the 14-15 season, then yeah, Richards probably should get it, and perhaps resigned at a much lower year term.

Maybe the NHL should adopt a system similar to the NFL's, where contracts are not guaranteed.. who knows.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Yeah Richards, the guy running the practices and workouts when Torts can't be on the ice will be bought out.

What's next, Lundqvist and Staal?

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Staal View Post
Yeah Richards, the guy running the practices and workouts when Torts can't be on the ice will be bought out.

What's next, Lundqvist and Staal?
Clearly it would be because of his contract and not his ability or demeanor.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:47 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Well if that's the case then it would be in consideration but that all depends on a few things:

Do we win a cup in the next 2 seasons before the buyouts need to be executed?

Does Gaborik want to stay here and will do so at a reduced cost?

What players emerge from the depth pool to provide answers to a loss of Richards caliber?

Etc, etc.

I can see, if we win a cup before then, Gaborik gets resigned for less, and the buyout can be used prior to the 14-15 season, then yeah, Richards probably should get it, and perhaps resigned at a much lower year term.

Maybe the NHL should adopt a system similar to the NFL's, where contracts are not guaranteed.. who knows.
New CBA clearly forbids any player in a compliance buyout to resign with that team under any circumstances (trade, new contract, waivers) for one year.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
New CBA clearly forbids any player in a buyout to resign with that team under any circumstances (trade, new contract, waivers) for one year.
Well that's dumb. Restructured contracts could have taken the place of buyouts in these negotiations, dependent on other factors as well of course.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:04 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Buyout Richards? 34 is old now?

Have we forgotten the days when "Crusher" Christensen was our 1st line center already?

01-12-2013, 01:25 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

Have we forgotten the days when "Crusher" Christensen was our 1st line center already?
Oh God, I had. Thanks for reminding me

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:00 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Hopefully we can get DZ for about $2.5 mil/year, I don't see Slats going up to $3 mil +.

Given our current situation, it'd be tough to go balls-out on any of our RFAs, but once Gaborik is gone we'll have much more flexibility.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:01 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:

It depends on how he plays.
What if he has a 55 point season next season?

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

First they wanna buy out Gaborik, and then their better idea is to buy out Richards.

HF NYR has gone completely off the deep end

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:08 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
It depends on how he plays.
What if he has a 55 point season next season?
IF that were to happen, I still think it comes down to - who would replace him and allow us to still field a win-now roster?

I know we are all a bit gun-shy due to past UFA signings, but more so than anyone the Rangers have brought in in years, Richards relies almost exclusively on his high hockey IQ. Which (knock on wood) is a trait that tends to stick around for a while.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:41 PM
mschmidt64

Brad Richards is getting just a massive amount of money right now. The problem is not just his age, but the fact that he's just not irreplaceable as a first line center.

He is not nearly as unique as either Gaborik or Nash is. He's not as unique as McDonagh or Lundquist either.

I am not saying we "should" buy out Richards.

But what if you could erase the money he is getting and then go chase a different first line center?

You'd have to think about it.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:43 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
IF that were to happen, I still think it comes down to - who would replace him and allow us to still field a win-now roster?

I know we are all a bit gun-shy due to past UFA signings, but more so than anyone the Rangers have brought in in years, Richards relies almost exclusively on his high hockey IQ. Which (knock on wood) is a trait that tends to stick around for a while.
I don't expect it to happen because Richards isn't particularly strong or fast, so we don't have to worry about those things deteriorating. It's just too early to say it's not a possibility, too. A lot can change in two years.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Brad Richards is getting just a massive amount of money right now. The problem is not just his age, but the fact that he's just not irreplaceable as a first line center.

He is not nearly as unique as either Gaborik or Nash is. He's not as unique as McDonagh or Lundquist either.

I am not saying we "should" buy out Richards.

But what if you could erase the money he is getting and then go chase a different first line center?

You'd have to think about it.
I just fear that Richards contracts will be a hindrance on our cap. And that he's likely to decline as he ages, it's not worth having that cap number. I'd rather simply re-tool/trade for a more affordable player. Or hope Stepan/Lindberg take the next step.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
I think Richards is going to be a valuable player into his late 30s. He doesn't really rely on any physical aspects to play his style. Players don't lose their vision/sense as they age.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Adam Oates was still a PPG player at 39.

But we're straying off Del Zotto a bit here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
First they wanna buy out Gaborik, and then their better idea is to buy out Richards.

HF NYR has gone completely off the deep end
this is one of the few ideas that has a reason behind it. the trade girardi, trade staal, trade del zotto because we have too many good defenders has to be one of the dumber ideas. then theres the trade gaborik idea which is just insane. oh and who could forget callahan is a 3rd line grinder. if the organization was up to the rangers board no one would be safe

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote