HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVI All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 09:09 AM
GoHomez

vCash: 500
When did past Habs teams become "Out of town"?
Anyway, read this on former Leafs GMs:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413255

One thing jumped out:

And the highest pick he retained during any of his first three Maple Leaf drafts – the No. 7 overall in 2009, he used to take Nazem Kadri, a player who remains very much a work in progress at age 22.

Interestingly, Kadri is the only player selected by Burke to play a single NHL game. Among players taken during the '09, '10 and '11 drafts there are 90 players who've participated in NHL games. But Kadri, whose status in the NHL remains iffy, is the only Leaf.

Which made me wonder how our beloved Habs has done during the same period. The disappointing answer is, they've been just as bad. The only player in said class that has worn the Habs jersey in the NHL is Leblanc..

Maybe one of Tinordi, Bealieau or Ellis could make that two this year.

90 players on 30 teams gives three players per team on average, one player simplys isn't enough. Not having a second rd pick in 09 or a second and third in 10 obviously didn't help matters.
A more in-depth analysis must include what level of success the teams achieved during the same time frame. Giving up first and second rd picks for deep playoff runs may be worth a shallower talent pool a few years later. Habs obviously did better than the Leafs in the regard, while not doing great either.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:31 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post

One thing jumped out:

And the highest pick he retained during any of his first three Maple Leaf drafts – the No. 7 overall in 2009, he used to take Nazem Kadri, a player who remains very much a work in progress at age 22.

Interestingly, Kadri is the only player selected by Burke to play a single NHL game. Among players taken during the '09, '10 and '11 drafts there are 90 players who've participated in NHL games. But Kadri, whose status in the NHL remains iffy, is the only Leaf.

Which made me wonder how our beloved Habs has done during the same period. The disappointing answer is, they've been just as bad. The only player in said class that has worn the Habs jersey in the NHL is Leblanc..

90 players on 30 teams gives three players per team on average, one player simplys isn't enough. Not having a second rd pick in 09 or a second and third in 10 obviously didn't help matters.
A more in-depth analysis must include what level of success the teams achieved during the same time frame. Giving up first and second rd picks for deep playoff runs may be worth a shallower talent pool a few years later. Habs obviously did better than the Leafs in the regard, while not doing great either.
Yeah but I don't believe that to be entirely outside of the norm. I mean it takes time for the majority of prospects to reach the NHL, and Toronto and especially Montreal are both markets that traditionally like to take a little longer before they expose their prospects to the NHL.

We also drafted a significant amount of defenseman in that time, and of course they take even longer to develop traditionally. Tinordi was labelled a long-term project at the time, although he is coming along very very well and is looking like a real good future NHL player right now. Beaulieu was also considered somewhat of a project, having all the right skill set but needing defensive refinement and maturity with his decision making.

With some injuries it's entirely possible that guys like Tinordi, Bournival, Gallagher all get some sort of ice-time with the team this season. If we're going to back in hindsight, so far the only pick that I'd somewhat regret is the Leblanc pick.. But even then, I'm reaching a little as he's still overcoming a pretty significant injury that tends to slow down a player for a considerable amount of time.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:36 AM
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling

Then I guess it's a good thing they have Hudon & Galchenyuk in the CHL, & Collberg in Europe.

The Leafs desperately needed a couple of young calder contenders by now, Montreal not so much.

Last edited by FireBergevin: 01-12-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old
01-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

We can't compare The leafs and Habs.

The leafs drafted a lot higher than us in past year.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:32 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
We can't compare The leafs and Habs.

The leafs drafted a lot higher than us in past year.
Agreed. Plus the Leafs could've easily had a drafted player join their roster immediately in Tyler Seguin and that's all on Burke. He overevaluated the strength of his team and felt they could do without a rebuild. He was dead wrong. At no point were the Leafs good enough to make the playoffs.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post

One thing jumped out:

Looking at who gets to the NHL quicker is not a good way to evaluate drafts. Good drafting/developing teams let their kids develop in junior and AHL and once they make the jump they can stay and be good NHLers. Other than 1st rounders, few draft picks reach the NHL full time until 3-4 years after they were drafted.

Lets use Kristo as an example he was drafted in 2008 I believe...if he signs after this year and makes the NHL teams next year and wins rookie of the year with 60 points...is he a bad pick because it took him 5 years to reach the NHL?

Old
01-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

There is a chance that Michael Del Zotto and the Rangers will not agree on a contract to allow the defenseman to participate in training camp on Monday.
It looks as if the Rangers think they have made him a fair offer believed to be a two-year, $4.8 million deal and are taking a" take it or leave it" approach. If Del Zotto decides the deal is not a good one (he allegedly wants $3 million per season), he could be a hold out. Stay tuned.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:57 AM
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling

In all fairness AHL stats are quite skewed, and scoring is probably down league-wide because of all the NHL-ready talent on defence & in goal.

Some teams, like the Bulldogs, you can put on a clinic against. Others not so much.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
BLONG7

Burkie says the Leafs are the Crown Jewel of the NHL...no playoffs for 7-8 yrs and no Cup in the last almost 50 yrs...OK Brian...

Old
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Burkie says the Leafs are the Crown Jewel of the NHL...no playoffs for 7-8 yrs and no Cup in the last almost 50 yrs...OK Brian...
I think he just called himself the Pope of hockey.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:24 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
He even took a shot at Theo Epstein in MLB...all Theo did was help the Sox to their first title in 86 yrs...but Theo has no idea what it's like to be Burkie...

Old
01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I'd be inclined to agree. Well, either him or Cherry. If I were to elaborate,I'd get some nasty PM's, so I'll just leave it at that.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Habsfan18

Burke to Steve Simmons: "The best part about this is that I'll never have to speak to you again."

What an *******. To be fair, so is Simmons.

01-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Andy

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
#Caps to sign right wing Eric Fehr to 1-year, $600,000 contract: http://wtim.es/UZOGoe
Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

Old
01-12-2013, 12:57 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Burke to Steve Simmons: "The best part about this is that I'll never have to speak to you again."

Burkie is a stand up guy, but Leaf nation defending this guy and his no playoffs, 26th place team is really funny...kind of explains why they needed a change, they aren't getting better on the ice, but hey their GM is a stand up guy...Don Cherry kind of thinking?

Old
01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
#Caps to sign right wing Eric Fehr to 1-year, $600,000 contract: http://wtim.es/UZOGoe
Retweeted by Bob McKenzie
Crap, I was hoping we'd sign him...or Sykoa as winger depth.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
According to Pagnotta, seems like Sykora is also already signed by an"unknown team".

Old
01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Burkie is a stand up guy, but Leaf nation defending this guy and his no playoffs, 26th place team is really funny...kind of explains why they needed a change, they aren't getting better on the ice, but hey their GM is a stand up guy...Don Cherry kind of thinking?
He could talk the talk but not walk the walk.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Likely the only time I can agree with Burke. If there is a bigger ass than Burke himself, it's someone like Simmons.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-12-2013, 03:05 PM
BLONG7

Burkie indicated he wants to be a GM elsewhere, who hires him?

Vince Mcmahon?

Old
01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Habs fans kicking Burkie when he's down. How nice.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Habs fans kicking Burkie when he's down. How nice.
Thanks man, but as I mentioned, he is a stand up guy, but his arrogance was always too much for me...the Crown Jewel comment cracked me up, he is at least entertaining...

Old
01-12-2013, 03:24 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
No thanks...We have 13 forward already, we need to find a spot for Scotty G.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
No thanks...We have 13 forward already, we need to find a spot for Scotty G.
I'm sure a lot of leagues would take him.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:15 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of leagues would take him.
The same applies to Sykora.

Closed Thread