HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/lines discussion

Old
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

vCash: 500
I actually like an all rookie line, provided that they get sheltered minutes.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
rainband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
I actually like an all rookie line, provided that they get sheltered minutes.
Scott Walker and the River Rats, anyone? Anyone?

rainband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

If Pitkanen was, in fact, on the block, what do you Canes fans believe Rutherford would want back?

01-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I can't see any probable outcome where Pitkanen will be expendable, or even a situation where we have any sort of a competent defense without Pitkanen, so a lot.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:42 PM
La Huracanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
If Pitkanen was, in fact, on the block, what do you Canes fans believe Rutherford would want back?
I feel like we're looking for a third line center of some description. Kirk Muller's only answer to who might play 3rd line center was "Jokinen can play center."

I'm not really excited to trade Pitkanen. Faulk's an amazing young player, Gleason's good in his own end, and Corvo and Harrison are probably above average third pairing guys. McBain is expendable, but we really need Pitkanen's decent two-way play and great first pass.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Either a defensive-minded defenseman of equal value (which is unlikely) or a 3rd line center + a young, defensive-minded defenseman that we can grow.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:57 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

McBain would also be of interest to Ottawa. Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of an established 3C here.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:18 PM
bleedgreen

I'm not so sure that we are as enamored with Joni as we used to be. I think if other guys keep developing they'd have no problem moving him on. Problem is our intent for this year is to go for it, so unless your offering something that helps now its unlikely wed move him during this year. Off season maybe. If we tank the regular season he'd be trade bait on the deadline.

I think sanguinetti, Faulk, Murphy all can help the offensive part of the game so as to make him expendable, but until they actually are doing it they'll keep him.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:27 PM
impeach estaalo

Luke says on Twitter that he doesn't see a defenseman being traded.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

JR will confirm he's retarded if he trades a d-man like McBain or Pitkanen without getting an upgrade to replace one of them. I mean has he looked at our defense?

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Gr8Dan

I would hold onto my assets and wait to trade for M. Staal next year

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:02 AM
smitty10

I read in another thread that JR is expecting 6-7 Checkers to make the Hurricanes to start this year. Wondering who you guys think they'll be. I know Justin Faulk will make the team, but outside of him who else?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:08 AM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I read in another thread that JR is expecting 6-7 Checkers to make the Hurricanes to start this year. Wondering who you guys think they'll be. I know Justin Faulk will make the team, but outside of him who else?
There's a good bit of speculation on that back two or three pages back in this thread, actually.

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Gr8Dan

Faulk
Boychuk
Dalpe
Bowman
Sanguinetti
Wallace

Old
01-12-2013, 01:11 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
There's a good bit of speculation on that back two or three pages back in this thread, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Faulk
Boychuk
Dalpe
Bowman
Sanguinetti
Wallace
Thanks. Didn't do any research because I thought all this was said Friday afternoon. Can't believe Sanguinetti will finally make the NHL (apparently). He was so highly touted at one point and really hasn't done anything.

So Sutter and Krueger won't make it? I've rooted for those two guys for years hoping they'd one day make it. Kinda disappointing.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't do any research because I thought all this was said Friday afternoon. Can't believe Sanguinetti will finally make the NHL (apparently). He was so highly touted at one point and really hasn't done anything.

So Sutter and Krueger won't make it? I've rooted for those two guys for years hoping they'd one day make it. Kinda disappointing.
Forgot to add Sutter as the 7th in there but nothing is guaranteed that they will make the big club. They are just above the others in Charlotte, training camp should sort it out.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:52 AM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:

Sutter could certainly fill in as a winger or a center on the fourth line. He's done so before, but we're not entirely positive how that would theoretically work out with the glut of bottom six forwards on this team.

As far as Krueger goes, Rutherford mentioned a while back about how he thought Krueger was good enough to be a #6 defenseman...maybe before training camp last year? I'm not sure exactly when or if that's directly in context, but that's what I think I recall. Either way, Krueger has also gotten buried below other prospects that we have acquired recently, and hasn't gotten a chance as of yet.

A lot of whether or not these guys get chances this year depends on whether or not these supposed trade rumors have legs, and what those rumors actually are. This link from back a little bit in this thread has all of us questioning the legitimacy of said rumors, and what possible trades might occur...whether they be simple moves to remove pieces that don't fit (Stewart), or actual moves that are of significant consequence (Pitkanen, McBain, etc).

Either way, It's going to be a rather interesting training camp for the Canes this year.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:36 AM
impeach estaalo

Sutter is as dumb as a brick and should not be playing in the NHL. The only reason he's in the conversation for a roster spot here is because JR has yet again built another butter soft team and is looking to fill the hole with whatever semblance of grit he has in the organization.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:57 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

How do these buyouts work? Everyone keeps saying trade trade trade, but with a shortened season and AHLers on full display, who's going to take a Stewart or a Nodl, even for free?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:42 AM
dammit100

Not sure if it's been discussed here, but I see Corvo on the roster as insurance in case Sanguinetti doesn't pan out. Or maybe he's just keeping the spot warm until Sangs is ready for big time minutes. If Uh-Oh Joe is getting 20+/night, that can't be good for us in the short term or long run.

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Forgot to add Sutter as the 7th in there but nothing is guaranteed that they will make the big club. They are just above the others in Charlotte, training camp should sort it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
Sutter could certainly fill in as a winger or a center on the fourth line. He's done so before, but we're not entirely positive how that would theoretically work out with the glut of bottom six forwards on this team.

As far as Krueger goes, Rutherford mentioned a while back about how he thought Krueger was good enough to be a #6 defenseman...maybe before training camp last year? I'm not sure exactly when or if that's directly in context, but that's what I think I recall. Either way, Krueger has also gotten buried below other prospects that we have acquired recently, and hasn't gotten a chance as of yet.

A lot of whether or not these guys get chances this year depends on whether or not these supposed trade rumors have legs, and what those rumors actually are. This link from back a little bit in this thread has all of us questioning the legitimacy of said rumors, and what possible trades might occur...whether they be simple moves to remove pieces that don't fit (Stewart), or actual moves that are of significant consequence (Pitkanen, McBain, etc).

Either way, It's going to be a rather interesting training camp for the Canes this year.
Thanks. I appreciate the insight!

Old
01-12-2013, 11:03 AM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit100 View Post
Not sure if it's been discussed here, but I see Corvo on the roster as insurance in case Sanguinetti doesn't pan out. Or maybe he's just keeping the spot warm until Sangs is ready for big time minutes. If Uh-Oh Joe is getting 20+/night, that can't be good for us in the short term or long run.
But Gleason NEEDS Corvo

Old
01-12-2013, 11:15 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit100 View Post
I threw out something like that before the lockout (I'm too lazy to find the actual post). I don't see Corvo as anything more than a stop gap, or insurance, or a "replacement" in case they do want to deal a guy like McBain for a forward. Them two and Sanguinetti all seem so redundant. I like McBain and he's the best of the bunch, but with that comes having more value, and if they need to replace a guy like Ruutu and his physicality, he's probably first out the door.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:07 PM
impeach estaalo

LaRose-Skinner-Semin

All-smile line