HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Training Camp

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
The problem with St. Denis is he's basically Rafa Diaz with slightly less offensive upside. Both play smart hockey and make up for their size by being technically sound, but I don't see a place for both of them.

Maybe if we trade Diaz...

Old
01-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I guess we just see things differently. I don't see that, at all. He does everything above average, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, I've been wrong before though, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong about him (Weber, Aubin). However, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm right either (Maxwell, Desharnais, White).

I'll stick to my gut feeling either way.

Anyway, does Galchenyuk get his 9-games?
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you are right. St. Denis does many things above average......in the AHL.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The problem with St. Denis is he's basically Rafa Diaz with slightly less offensive upside. Both play smart hockey and make up for their size by being technically sound, but I don't see a place for both of them.

Maybe if we trade Diaz...
Diaz is a much better skater and has superior puck skills.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Kenny Powders

Holy batman St.Denis with top 4 potential. You saw him 6 games last year. It shows you got a mancrush but don't ridiculize yourself... At maximum he'll be a 6th defenceman on a weak D team..

Old
01-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anyway, does Galchenyuk get his 9-games?
Won't know till camp begins. They want to evaluate him first. Also it's not 9 games, it'll be 5 because of the shortened season.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I would have invited St-Denis. I think the kid deserved it. The rest of the non-invitees CLEARLY don't deserve to be there.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Maxwell?
Most here were in love with Maxwell and wrote off White. I was in the opposite boat. I didn't think Maxwell was good at all but knew that White would be an NHLer (although I did think White would have a little more offensive upside than he's shown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Won't know till camp begins. They want to evaluate him first. Also it's not 9 games, it'll be 5 because of the shortened season.
I thought so, I asked about less games earlier but no one was sure and I hadn't heard anything since. Good to know.

And I know we won't know yet, I was asking what people thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
Holy batman St.Denis with top 4 potential. You saw him 6 games last year. It shows you got a mancrush but don't ridiculize yourself... At maximum he'll be a 6th defenceman on a weak D team..
Well first of all, I watch plenty of Bulldogs games.

Secondly, he played 17-games in Montreal last year so I have no idea where you're pulling 6 from anyway.

Thirdly, my opinions aren't ridiculous. I believe in my opinions, just like everyone else believes in theirs.

Without re-signing Bouillon and buying out Kaberle (possibly), he becomes the #7 next year (if we re-sign him) with no movement. I also don't expect Weber to last, so I could very easily see him being the #7 next year.

Last edited by Hawkguy: 01-12-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Diaz is a much better skater and has superior puck skills.
Yeah, I'd take Diaz over St. Denis easily, but if we could get something from Diaz, then St. Denis might have a role on the team as a bottom pairing defender.

Well plus it'll slightly appease the types who call for more Quebecois players, but that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I would have invited St-Denis. I think the kid deserved it. The rest of the non-invitees CLEARLY don't deserve to be there.
St-Denis certainly deserves it more than Commodore, and I really don't want them to even consider Tinordi making the team, but I guess they promised it to Commodore and want to reward Tinordi or something.

Anyway it's a silly thing to be arguing about, the Bulldogs suck and the only member of that team who I think would contribute to the Habs right now is Dumont.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:10 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Yeah, I'd take Diaz over St. Denis easily, but if we could get something from Diaz, then St. Denis might have a role on the team as a bottom pairing defender.

Well plus it'll slightly appease the types who call for more Quebecois players, but that's another story.

St-Denis certainly deserves it more than Commodore, and I really don't want them to even consider Tinordi making the team, but I guess they promised it to Commodore and want to reward Tinordi or something.
But then we'd piss off the gang of people who want some huge WWE heavyweight bruiser. Oh well, I guess we can only satisfy some of the illogical biases people have in regards to this hockey team.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
01-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

St-Denis is the perfect stop gap call-up in my mind. A good journeyman that can jump into the fray and not look horrible as a bottom pairing d-man.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:

It's clearly based on who deserves it which is totally fine with me. Tinordi do deserve it despite his flaws. Not Beaulieu. I'm fine with that. This is a short camp, no time for fun. I also understand Commodore as he brings his experience with him. But St-Denis was fine last year, was still fine this year so again, based on who deserve it....I don't get the non-invitation to St-Denis. But the rest is totally fine with me.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
But then we'd piss off the gang of people who want some huge WWE heavyweight bruiser. Oh well, I guess we can only satisfy some of the illogical biases people have in regards to this hockey team.
Get rid of Markov and Subban, replace them with St-Denis and Commodore as our new first pairing, problem solved.

Now, all we really need is a huge WWE heavyweight bruiser from Quebec....

Old
01-12-2013, 12:13 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Get rid of Markov and Subban, replace them with St-Denis and Commodore as our new first pairing, problem solved.

Laraque was that small middle bit in the venn diagram of HF Habs ridiculousness. It's too bad 'playing ability' was left off the diagram.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Quote:
I thought so, I asked about less games earlier but no one was sure and I hadn't heard anything since. Good to know.

And I know we won't know yet, I was asking what people thought.
I would assume he will. He's played so much hockey compared to most of our players and it's not like our forward depth is all that great. I think he'll get his 5 games but will be sent back down unless he really impresses.

Old
Roulin

IMHO not inviting St Denis is a terrible decision. In my Bulldog viewings FSD has outplayed Tinordi by a mile. And he's waiver eligible.

Old
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:

I hear Laraque is looking for a club still but he's more like the Ted DiBiase of WWE Champions.. running away from challengers.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Laraque was that small middle bit in the venn diagram of HF Habs ridiculousness. It's too bad 'playing ability' was left off the diagram.
I only started posting here after the legendary Georges Laraque era ended, did people celebrate his signing like the Habs got Crosby?

Old
01-12-2013, 12:15 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Invites: Gallagher, Commodore, Dumont, and Tinordi.

No Leblanc is surprising but understandable considering the season he's had so far in Hamilton.
Given the fact that Subban will probably get a lot of money, another consideration has to be Leblanc's contract. Every penny will count this year and with Leblanc scheduled to make $1.2 million if he plays in the NHL, it would put the Canadiens precariously close to the cap.

I think the cap is also the reason we may see on of Diaz or Weber traded. They are well down on the depth chart and their contracts are too big for #7 defensemen.

Unfortunately we are still living with the after effects of Gainey's ill-advised spending spree and that continues to affect how the team can be structured.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:16 PM
pine
irregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMHO not inviting St Denis is a terrible decision. In my Bulldog viewings FSD has outplayed Tinordi by a mile. And he's waiver eligible.
Which would mean that he would go through waivers once training camp was over. Tinordi doesn't. FSD can keep mentoring those little kiddies in Hamilton for the rest of the season and beyond.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Captain Saku

What time does the practice start tomorrow? I'll be at my parents place tomorrow in brossard.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Which would mean that he would go through waivers once training camp was over. Tinordi doesn't. FSD can keep mentoring those little kiddies in Hamilton for the rest of the season and beyond.
Doesn't he have to go through waivers anyway? The whole point of waivers is to make sure players with NHL ability get opportunities - I can't imagine the NHLPA would be ok with the loophole of just keeping players down in the AHL to avoid eligibility.

Old
pine
irregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
What time does the practice start tomorrow? I'll be at my parents place tomorrow in brossard.
10am, per Renhockey.

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/sta...50265817014272

Old
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I agree that he deserves to go to camp but I suspect Commodore had a verbal agreement to get a look once the lockout ended.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Doesn't he have to go through waivers anyway?
He may not have to because the AHL season was started and he "technically" went through waivers through that little weird clause they had before the season started.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:19 PM
pine
irregistered user

Quote:
Doesn't he have to go through waivers anyway?
Do not think so since he's already in Hamilton and signed a contract to bypass the waivers, but I may be mistaken under the new CBA.

Closed Thread