HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Training Camp Discussion

Old
01-11-2013, 02:10 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Meh. Sure, the pick could only end up being 15-20th overall, but by the time we find out it will either not be valuable enough anymore to get a guy like Yandle, or Yandle will have already been traded.

Part of the interest with an Isles first rounder is that most teams will probably expect it to be a very good pick. If the Isles feel like they can compete, especially with a guy like Yandle, they should use that to their advantage.
I like Nabokov, feel he played solidly for the isles last season. He hasn't played at all since last April, stayed home during the lockout. How long till he shakes off the rust, with a 5 day training camp?
I have no confidence that DiPietro will be heathy enough to contribute.

Both Nilson and Poulin have played erracticly. Neither's been as strong or consistent, as they were last season in Bridgeport.

Plenty of questions with that goaltending. Hopefully, Nabokov is up for the challenge.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I like Nabokov, feel he played solidly for the isles last season. He hasn't played at all since last April, stayed home during the lockout. How long till he shakes off the rust, with a 5 day training camp?
I have no confidence that DiPietro will be heathy enough to contribute.

Both Nilson and Poulin have played erracticly. Neither's been as strong or consistent, as they were last season in Bridgeport.

Plenty of questions with that goaltending. Hopefully, Nabokov is up for the challenge.
Not too worried about it. Guy is a pro, I'm sure he's been keeping in shape and playing puck in some capacity. Whatever rust is there should be taken care of during mini-camp.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Tavaresfan91

according to staples twitter, Josh Bailey will be out 2-4 weeks with a injured knee from the German league and Joensuu wont be ready for training camp. I think Strome makes team even more now.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Joensuu groin injury, out for 2-3 weeks
Bailey had his knee scored, out 4 weeks

yay

Means Ullstrom, Cizikas, Strome and/or Nino are on this team opening night.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post

yay

And another top 4 pick.

Here's hoping for Jones or Drouin.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:14 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
And another top 4 pick.

Here's hoping for Jones or Drouin.
Don't ever lose that optimism.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Don't ever lose that optimism.
If you want to lie to yourself and think a team with 4-5 rookies and roughly the same roster as last season is actually going to go places, feel free to smoke on that pipe all you want.

The reality is this team has done very little to improve from its bottom-5 finish last year and with so many players injured and rookies coming in, expecting much more is delusional at best.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:14 AM
TeamKidd

Quote:
If you want to lie to yourself and think a team with 4-5 rookies and roughly the same roster as last season is actually going to go places, feel free to smoke on that pipe all you want.

The reality is this team has done very little to improve from its bottom-5 finish last year and with so many players injured and rookies coming in, expecting much more is delusional at best.
While I agree with you that they have not done much to improve, although VIS on the backline would have been an improvement....there are several players that definitely under preformed last year...grabner...streit...and with Tavares there is also the possibility that he single handedly plays us into the playoffs. Also, while we are probably going to introduce several rookies...you must admit they are some talented rookies and the possibility remains that one could pull a skinner.

An honest expectation would be that this team would be a lottery pick again, since that has been their history....but there is a reasonable optimism that they can compete for the playoffs. The major concern is on the back end. the defense is looking mighty thin but...thats why they play the games...

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:

yay

Jeez.

I know Cizikas and Ullstrom wont have an issue with the NHL level, because they've played fairly well in their stint last season. Nino was horrible last season, but I heard he's doing fairly well in Bridgeport so I don't know how he'd do. I hope Strome doesn't make the team although he probably will. He'd get mauled out there.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:45 AM
jdr016

Quote:

The reality is this team will improve when all of those "rookies" develop and play to their potential. For various reasons, it's obvious Snow and Wang aren't going to make a splash with free agent signings and build an on paper contender.

Last edited by jdr016: 01-13-2013 at 10:51 AM.
jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:03 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

yay

I've read different reports about Joensuu. One said he'd be out 2-4 weeks, another said he was day to day.
I guess we'll get more info once camp starts.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:05 AM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:

Reality is an Islander fan's worst enemy, Konk. I am more focused on what Garth and Chuck do this season and summer more than anything else. They know what they have, they promised things would change once they got their arena situation squared away, so now it is money-where-their-mouths-are time.

Will they meaningfully improve the team from outside of the draft this year? I would argue this is the most important question of all. The trade doors opened at 12 midnight last night. They have until August 30 this summer to prove they weren't full of stuff.

And I am ok with Jones or MacKinnon.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:15 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Reality is an Islander fan's worst enemy, Konk. I am more focused on what Garth and Chuck do this season and summer more than anything else. They know what they have, they promised things would change once they got their arena situation squared away, so now it is money-where-their-mouths-are time.

Will they meaningfully improve the team from outside of the draft this year? I would argue this is the most important question of all. The trade doors opened at 12 midnight last night. They have until August 30 this summer to prove they weren't full of stuff.

And I am ok with Jones or MacKinnon.
I doubt Garth will do much except try his best to get Vis over here. This team will look much better with him on it but I think they are still bottom feeders unless someone takes us totally by surprise or has a monster year.

I would've liked Garth to make a proper hockey trade or two, but I can't really see it coming.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Renbarg

I'm wondering if we are looking at Wade Redden in an Islanders jersey. I'm not sure if I'd like that.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I'm wondering if we are looking at Wade Redden in an Islanders jersey. I'm not sure if I'd like that.
Redden's due $3.5m-$4m for the rest of this season and $6.5m next season.

The only way I see Redden playing for the NYI, is if he's bought out by the NYR and willing to sign a dirt cheap contract next summer.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:50 AM
StrongIslanders90

Jon Landry is going to make the team

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Renbarg

Joensuu gets number 6, which he wore in Bridgeport, rather than the 58 he wore with the Islanders when he got games up here. That probably means there is a decent chance he sticks. Landry has a training camp number.

Also, only Ricky and Nabby here.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Old
01-13-2013, 12:09 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Jon Landry is going to make the team
Funny enough, I'm was thinking the same thing. This kid has a big body and is agile and I think he is a dark horse candidate. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets on the power play or penalty kill.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
OlTimeHockey

Looks like no Nino. Thank ya Jesus! Leave the kid alone!

Landry looks like a nice gap filler. I hope Strome isn't Nino'd.

And I would take a flier on Redden if he came cheap.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Renbarg

I never knew that Landry played DIII hockey.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Lines for first #Isles practice of '13: Moulson-Tavares-Okposo, Ullstrom-Nielsen-Boyes, McDonald-Cizikas-Strome, Martin-Reasoner-Boulton.
Quote:
#Isles D pairs: MacDonald-Hamonic, Streit-Martinek (wearing No. 4), Landry-Carkner, Reinhart-Wishart. Nabokov, DiPietro in goal.
Quote:
Grabner (abs), Bailey (knee), Joensuu (groin) not on ice.
Staple

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:22 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Staple
Boyes not on the first line? Interesting....

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
steveat

You know..I was gonna say Redden, but I thought I'd get flamed all to hell for saying that 8-)

From what I understand, I don't think any team will do any buying out of contracts till the summer...Next training camp (2013/14) we shall see Redden and Gomez for sure!

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:11 AM
IslesNorway

Judging from those at training camp, this team is in real need of some more experienced players if they hope to come anywhere near the playoffs. Looking at those lines from Staple there's a lot of talent but preciously little experience and veteran leadership.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
Boyes not on the first line? Interesting....
Cappy mentioned in an interview on ITV the reason for KO on the 1st line was because of the shortened camp & the need to get out to a fast start. He went with a 1st line that played together last year & had good chemistry. It makes sense to me.

But I hope Capuano doesn't take 3/4ths the season to switch lines up when they clearly aren't working. That is his biggest failure as a coach IMO. He is not proactive or creative in switching up lines that simply don't work.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote