Notices

Leafs fire Burke

Old
01-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Number8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Burke is definitely a very nice person and has a huge heart. But being a nice person doesn't make you a great GM.

I think he underestimated the patience of Toronto fans. You don't improve a bottom-dweller by trading two (two! and a second!) first-round draft picks for a complementary piece like Phil Kessel. Not that Kessel is a bad player, but he's the type of guy a contending team adds to get over the top, not the type of guy a struggly team builds around.

I think that move put the Leafs in a huge hole and they have yet to recover.
I was speaking about him purely as a person.

I can see why TML did this from a hockey personnel perspective -- although I do think the timing is bizarre (assuming the rumored efforts to get/not get Luongo didn't force hands one way or the other).

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I suppose we can all sit in front of our keyboards and thank our lucky stars that the organization we root for, from the President down, seem to have an owner (can`t believe I`m saying this) who has allowed them to make the hockey decisions without too much interference and that this team has crawled it`s way out of the laughable state it was in prior to Chia and Cam amongst others jumping on board

I find Burke entertaining, but I'm truly grateful that the Bruins hired Peter Chiarelli as GM and later added Cam Neely as President. I doubt that the Bruins organization would have prospered as well under Burke.

This Bruins management team knows how to turn a team around the right way. Very solid.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:55 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
I find Burke entertaining, but I'm truly grateful that the Bruins hired Peter Chiarelli as GM and later added Cam Neely as President. I doubt that the Bruins organization would have prospered as well under Burke.

This Bruins management team knows how to turn a team around the right way. Very solid.
Bruins have arguably best GM in hockey,I know most with say Holland and thats probably true,But Chia gets anotehr Cup he right there with him.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:16 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Reacts, makes judgements too often on emotion, from the little I understand/know about this game, difficult to make rational moves when this is done however, I will say , if the rumours are true and Burke refused to make the Luongo trade for what was being asked in return to obtain him, he made the right move sticking to his guns.

Let`s face it, this Rogers/Bell partnership in MLSE will blow up and not in a positive way, ya think things are ugly now, just wait

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Reacts, makes judgements too often on emotion, from the little I understand/know about this game, difficult to make rational moves when this is done however, I will say , if the rumours are true and Burke refused to make the Luongo trade for what was being asked in return to obtain him, he made the right move sticking to his guns.

Let`s face it, this Rogers/Bell partnership in MLSE will blow up and not in a positive way, ya think things are ugly now, just wait
Andrew, the Bell/Rogers purchase of MLSE is all about one thing and its not the hockey team it's TV.

Bell owns CTV and TSN
Rogers owns Sportsnet

The CBC deal comes up after next season (could be 2015 but cant look it up right now) and they are going hard after HNIC. As you know Sportsnet can't televise games nationally because the CRTC didn't think this country needed a second National Sports network (but since then allowed TSN 2), which is why they went with regional networks. As you know, Rogers owns the Blue Jays and where do you find them all the time? On Sportsnet

CTV/TSN will go after HNIC on Saturdays, Sportsnet will get the regional games weekday which includes the Leafs. It'll be huge $$ for them. Once they get control, don't be surprised that in 4 or 5 years you have pay per view hockey. Much like Leafs TV does (you don't have to pay for each game with Leafs TV, but you have to pay extra for the station)

The Leafs are second fiddle in the over all picture with Bell/Rogers if you ask me. Watch when those two are done...well you think the Leafs are a huge cash cow for the NHL now, we ain't seen nuthin yet !

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:

Well... if anything, that's the JT trade who had the most impact on the Bruins and it was made under MOC's regime. Players wise, that was an horrible trade but we have to admit that MOC was right on two major things: 1- Bergeron was the cornerstone that the Bruins had to build around and 2- JT didn't have the leadership skill of a leader. The trade of Kessel is also a huge turning point but i have mixed emotions since nobody could have know that the return would have been Seguin,Hamilton and Knight. In the end, the removal of JT and the arrival of Z and Savard made us way much better.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:53 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Andrew, the Bell/Rogers purchase of MLSE is all about one thing and its not the hockey team it's TV.

Bell owns CTV and TSN
Rogers owns Sportsnet

The CBC deal comes up after next season (could be 2015 but cant look it up right now) and they are going hard after HNIC. As you know Sportsnet can't televise games nationally because the CRTC didn't think this country needed a second National Sports network (but since then allowed TSN 2), which is why they went with regional networks. As you know, Rogers owns the Blue Jays and where do you find them all the time? On Sportsnet

CTV/TSN will go after HNIC on Saturdays, Sportsnet will get the regional games weekday which includes the Leafs. It'll be huge $$ for them. Once they get control, don't be surprised that in 4 or 5 years you have pay per view hockey. Much like Leafs TV does (you don't have to pay for each game with Leafs TV, but you have to pay extra for the station)

The Leafs are second fiddle in the over all picture with Bell/Rogers if you ask me. Watch when those two are done...well you think the Leafs are a huge cash cow for the NHL now, we ain't seen nuthin yet !
Nothing like a true Monopoly

Old
01-11-2013, 08:07 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Bruins have arguably best GM in hockey,I know most with say Holland and thats probably true,But Chia gets anotehr Cup he right there with him.
In fairness, he'd need a lot more than one Cup to be in Holland's league. Holland has been the best GM for over a decade, and his team is always, always in contention. PC is climbing the ranks, but he has several years and at least a few more Cups before he's in Holland's league.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
In fairness, he'd need a lot more than one Cup to be in Holland's league. Holland has been the best GM for over a decade, and his team is always, always in contention. PC is climbing the ranks, but he has several years and at least a few more Cups before he's in Holland's league.

In fairness, they each have 1 cup since the salary cap in 05\06.

Before Holland always had a no limit budget.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Scotto74

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post

very good point. Trying to compare GM's pre and post salary cap is very hard to do. Some guys as you pointed out had unlimited budgets so it was not as much of a challange as in a salary cap world.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:39 PM
GordonHowe

Just checked in. Holy pooh!

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Ex Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke: "I was floored, and I still am stunned. I've never been fired before. How am I doing? I'm doing OK. I'm so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL. I'm grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans. Once I found, I called the older kids, but I wanted the little ones to hear it from me first. They were OK. They just wanted to know if we'd have to move again. I said no. I think I can help as a consultant, I've been at this for a while. I have my name on the Stanley Cup. I'll do whatever I can. I wish Dave and the Toronto Maple Leafs all the success in the world. I'll do my best to help them win."

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:43 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Ex Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke: "I was floored, and I still am stunned. I've never been fired before. How am I doing? I'm doing OK. I'm so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL. I'm grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans. Once I found, I called the older kids, but I wanted the little ones to hear it from me first. They were OK. They just wanted to know if we'd have to move again. I said no. I think I can help as a consultant, I've been at this for a while. I have my name on the Stanley Cup. I'll do whatever I can. I wish Dave and the Toronto Maple Leafs all the success in the world. I'll do my best to help them win."
'Crown Jewel Franchise' Classic Burke

So are the NBA`s Clippers a Crown Jewel too??

Burke deserved his walking papers, no playoff appearances in 4 years, what he didn`t deserve is to have those papers handed to him on the back of a brand new CBA and the eve of the new season. As soon as the Leafs were outta the picture last year, THAT, IMO, would have been the appropriate time.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Spooner st

TSNBobMcKenzie: TSN2 and tsn.ca will carry Brian Burke news conference at 12 noon ET today. I'm heading down to the ACC.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post

Bell owns CTV and TSN
Rogers owns Sportsnet

Rogers also owns the City Network. Since they purchased it they have been expanding it to more Canadian markets.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
ripley

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie: TSN2 and tsn.ca will carry Brian Burke news conference at 12 noon ET today. I'm heading down to the ACC.
Did anyone see the broadcast?

Burke (at Steve Simmons of Toronto Sun): "The best part of today is that I don't have to talk to you again Steve."

Burke: "I'd like to work for a team that doesn't get sold next time."

Burke: "It would have been nice to get this notice before I went to Russia but I didn't."

ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Burke gave a classy speech and didn't make excuses and still threw in a couple of jabs. Well done.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:36 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Burke gave a classy speech and didn't make excuses and still threw in a couple of jabs. Well done.
He took a shot at Theo Epstein, and seemed to indicate that Epstein had no idea what it would be like to be the GM of the Leafs...I found that hilarious...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:37 PM
RG617

Love this take on it, especially where he mentions how Colbourne only has 4 goals in 31 AHL games this year (Wasn't this the guy who quite a few Leafs fans were insisting would be the first line center to go with Kessel come this year?) or how Phil isn't a "go to guy". I don't see how any of them can continue to defend the Kessel trade as anything more than a total loss at this point. "Upward trending at a slow pace" doesn't equal "successful" or make you a playoff team of any worth. Burke took the Danny Ainge-like approach to creating a winner and failed miserably at it. I couldn't thank him enough if I tried.

RG617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Update:

OttawaGhost has now weighed in. I'll miss these.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Update:

LMAO, the Phaneuf trade and the NHL draft ones were the best!

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
bp13

Quote:

Come on now...look at all the talent Detroit has not only managed to poach in late rounds, but also lock up to great long-term deals. Further, money or not, Holland won every year. He won with lousy to mediocre goalies. He brought in the occasional big-name player and none of them screwed up the chemistry, ever.

It's obviously easier with money, but it's always been a tough job and he's always been the best at it. Before and after the cap. In my book he's miles ahead of Burke, and I kinda like Burke.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Update:

Thanks for posting that. I at "guess I can ****ing sober up now."

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote