I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
I can live with that.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:47 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
One of my all-time favorites, well deserved!

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Eisen

Funny guy, decent on the mic and boy, could he take abuse. One of my favourites.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:50 AM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

One of the best of all time and especially in hardcore wrestling.

Definitely well deserved.

TWITTER:@M4TR1X2
M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Glorified stunt man who put wrestling into the dark ages with his "anything to stay on the top of the card" actions and posioning of a generation with extreme spots that did nothing but throw the bar out in terms of telling a wrestling story.

His legacy is getting thrown off the top of a 25 foot cage and mutilating himself in Japan. Not my idea of a wrestler but had a huge impact in ruining wrestling to the point that it hasnt recovered even yet.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:20 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Glorified stunt man who put wrestling into the dark ages with his "anything to stay on the top of the card" actions and posioning of a generation with extreme spots that did nothing but throw the bar out in terms of telling a wrestling story.

His legacy is getting thrown off the top of a 25 foot cage and mutilating himself in Japan. Not my idea of a wrestler but had a huge impact in ruining wrestling to the point that it hasnt recovered even yet.
I hate when people say this. I know that he will be remembered for his insane stunts and what he gave to the industry. On the other hand, there were some great moments that didn't need a huge spot. I actually think what made him so over-the-top good was he combined a great feud with an insane final spot. Edge vs. Foley was tremendous and ended in a huge spot. Taker/Mankind was unreal. Mankind's character was amazing at that time. Rock and Sock Connection. His backstage humor mixed with his ability to put on a good solid match.

This guy is way more than just a stuntman. Well-deserved.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

Although I agree with you on some parts, I would argue the part about his legacy being the cage bump. His character provided a lot of depth and was different than anything else they were putting out at the time. Here came a guy with a leather mask that was dark and sadistic, would punch and hit himself after a win before leaving the ring. You didn't see much of that kind of character back then.

Among wrestling fans, his biggest moment came when he won the WWF championship - which in turn sparked the "butts in seats" comment that led to Raw winning the Monday night wars. I think that held a lot more legacy and meaning to Mick Foley than any bump he ever took. The decision to make him champion led to a stupid comment, which led to WWE beating WCW and taking them over.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:16 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Holy **** what a surprise and a shocker!

Well deserved! Way to go Mick!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Truly deserves it for putting his body on the line.

Glorified stuntman? LOLZ!

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Well deserved.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
If the reports of Bam Bam being a possibility are true then that would be pretty cool.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Although I agree with you on some parts, I would argue the part about his legacy being the cage bump. His character provided a lot of depth and was different than anything else they were putting out at the time. Here came a guy with a leather mask that was dark and sadistic, would punch and hit himself after a win before leaving the ring. You didn't see much of that kind of character back then.
Sure you did. Foley stole a bunch of his gimmick from Buzz Sawyer while Sawyer was in Georgia. Not to mention alot of what Foley became was being done in Japan with Leatherface in FMW. Stealing ideas is nothing new in wrestling considering SCSA swiped a ton from Sandman. What seperates Foley is he knew he couldnt keep up that pace of providing stunts that could cripple him and lower his quality of life so he chose to become a comedy act, and more power to him for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Among wrestling fans, his biggest moment came when he won the WWF championship - which in turn sparked the "butts in seats" comment that led to Raw winning the Monday night wars. I think that held a lot more legacy and meaning to Mick Foley than any bump he ever took. The decision to make him champion led to a stupid comment, which led to WWE beating WCW and taking them over.
Valid point on principle but the fact remains such an important part of the history of the monday night wars pales in comparison to the bump Foley took off the cell. The first thing many who have followed wrestling will say first if you bring up Foleys name is that disgust bump, or 15 unprotected chair shots from the Rock over his title win.

Foley had very little talent in terms of wrestling ability, and in turn, had to tell a story by doing the most outlandish things to keep himself on the top of the card. Nobody was stupid enough to allow himself to be thrown off the top of a caged cell....except Foley. Michaels didnt come close to that height. And when you put it into perspective, I dont recall kids recreating Foleys WWF title win while role playing their heroes but do indeed seem to recall kids climbing drastic heights to recreate Foleys bump.

You look at all that is wrong in pro wrestling and you can look no further then Mick Foley for many of the reasons. Chris Benoit, the murderer, took umpteen unprotected chair shots to the skull because Mick Foley set the bar so high in brutality that he had no choice but to take them to keep himself near the top of the card. Couple that fact with Foley being a complete mark for himself and had the ear of Russo who had no problems exploiting any stupid idea Mick Foley came up with and you have one of the most controversial inductions this side of Billy Graham.

The Rock never had to take a crazy bump to be over, neither did SCSA, Undertaker, Ric Flair in his prime, Harley Race, etc,etc. So pardon me if I dont think justification should be in order for a guy who made his careers work HOF worthy by mutilating himself.

People always stop and look at car crashes and train wrecks, doesnt mean they are a positive.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Foley obviously did something right.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

IIRC, Foley didn't "allow" himself to be thrown off the cage, a spot went bad and Taker sorta had to do it to save him from a bad injury...

this is definitely deserved as he's given a lot to the field...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Foley obviously did something right.
For himself.

He also has the stigma of being the guy who took extreme brutality from out of the high school gym promotions and bringing it mainstream for little kids to try and emulate and copy. Sorry, but I wouldnt want that on my concience but it doesnt seem to bother Foley the slightest, nor will he ever be held accountable for all the stupid things he did, but thats life while protected by McMahons money.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
IIRC, Foley didn't "allow" himself to be thrown off the cage, a spot went bad and Taker sorta had to do it to save him from a bad injury...

Did you read Foley book?

Old
01-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i would assume so, but couldn't tell you if i have or not...but we get it...you don't like him...the majority of us think he's done a lot for the "sport" so to speak...he's not alone in the blame for the hard bumps...Terry Funk ring a bell, among many others....

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i would assume so, but couldn't tell you if i have or not...but we get it...you don't like him...the majority of us think he's done a lot for the "sport" so to speak...he's not alone in the blame for the hard bumps...Terry Funk ring a bell, among many others....
Taken from another site;

Taker didn't want to throw Mick off the top of the Cell. Mick had to talk him into it and assure him he'd be okay (Mick talked about that, in his first book if I remember right). It took a lot of convincing but Taker did throw him off. After Foley crashed through the announce table you could see Taker standing on top of the Cell looking down, VERY concerned that Mick was either "broken in half" like JR said, or dead. He probably thought that Mick was hurt very badly and wished he'd never agreed to throw him off the top of the Cell. He was as surprised as anybody that Foley got off the stretcher and came back to finish the match.

The top of the cage breaking was an accident, yeah. After this crazy match was over with Vince told Foley (and Taker) that they'd gone too far and that he wouldn't allow these types of dangerous stunts anymore. Mick smoothed-talked Vince into not banning "hardcore" but Vince did restrain the boys quite a bit and we didn't see nearly as much life-threatening stunts anymore (this was also in Mick's book).

The spot was planned.

Mick Foley is a great guy, but what he did for pro wrestling, turning it into a stunt man competition and ruining what pro wrestling is, imo, shouldnt be congradulated at all. If thats what it took for Foley to stay on the top of the card, he should have sold shoes for a living.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Quack

Quote:
For himself.

He also has the stigma of being the guy who took extreme brutality from out of the high school gym promotions and bringing it mainstream for little kids to try and emulate and copy. Sorry, but I wouldnt want that on my concience but it doesnt seem to bother Foley the slightest, nor will he ever be held accountable for all the stupid things he did, but thats life while protected by McMahons money.
Little kids could emulate a lot of wrestling moves that could do harm to themselves, putting something like that on Foley doesn't seem right to me.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Little kids could emulate a lot of wrestling moves that could do harm to themselves, putting something like that on Foley doesn't seem right to me.
If you are talking pseudo submission moves you might have a point. Wrestling moves to an extent if you dont know how to land. But launching yourself off of a building is an entirely different thing.

Nobody was taking such extreme measures at the time while in the E other then Foley. TV14 reguardless didnt stop the WWE from making toys and marketing to children.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Martini,
with all due respect, how can you speak of Mick "mutilating himself" and ruining wrestling to the point that it hasn't recovered yet when the man responsible for calling him a "glorified stuntman" is the unofficial king of blading himself?

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Martini,
with all due respect, how can you speak of Mick "mutilating himself" and ruining wrestling to the point that it hasn't recovered yet when the man responsible for calling him a "glorified stuntman" is the unofficial king of blading himself?
Logical question, but I am in no way a fan of Flair. But he also dosent have deathmatches on his resume, using thumbtacks, explosives, barbed wire bats, broken glass,glass light tubes, etc to get over with the fans. He told a story in his matches that made color that much more effective instead of just using it for the sake of using it, something Foley just did.

You knew you were getting something extreme from a Foley match and something he had to do to stay relevant. Flair, in his prime, didnt have to go that route.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:52 PM
This
That

Quote:
If you are talking pseudo submission moves you might have a point. Wrestling moves to an extent if you dont know how to land. But launching yourself off of a building is an entirely different thing.

Nobody was taking such extreme measures at the time while in the E other then Foley. TV14 reguardless didnt stop the WWE from making toys and marketing to children.
I can't stand it when people use the 'think of the children' argument.

The emulation of any action, whether mimicing wrestling, movies/tv or videogames, is a reflection on the parents not being able to raise/control their children.

Someones child does something stupid? Better not blame the parents or the child. Gotta blame the performers and content creators.

This is offline   Reply With Quote