HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 07:55 AM
BigHab*

vCash: 500
Thanks guys for all the feedback on Gauthier. Living in northern NB I have only been able to get down to a few games in Bathurst but have not had the opportunity to watch this guy play. I have been a Habs fan since the mid 60's and often draw comparisons with players from the late 60's or dynasty teams of the 70's. From what has been said about this young man here on the Boards I wonder if it might be fair to compare him to a young Little M (Peter Mahovlich)? If any of you are old enough (perhaps ancient like me) to have watched the Little M play I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks again.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
Thanks guys for all the feedback on Gauthier. Living in northern NB I have only been able to get down to a few games in Bathurst but have not had the opportunity to watch this guy play. I have been a Habs fan since the mid 60's and often draw comparisons with players from the late 60's or dynasty teams of the 70's. From what has been said about this young man here on the Boards I wonder if it might be fair to compare him to a young Little M (Peter Mahovlich)? If any of you are old enough (perhaps ancient like me) to have watched the Little M play I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks again.
Little M was a great dangler but his speed was average at best. He did have great hockey IQ.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
You can't even say that. The same was said about leblanc, and while i think its probable he will be a good third liner, it's still not a guarantee
Yea I wouldn't go down that route. Just look at guys that were drafted in the last years, Biggs, Miller, Laughton, Jenner and Wilson. Those guys top at out 3rd line players if that and teams wasted 1rst rounders on them. Go swing for the fences when drafting in the first round, not just first base.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Yea I wouldn't go down that route. Just look at guys that were drafted in the last years, Biggs, Miller, Laughton, Jenner and Wilson. Those guys top at out 3rd line players if that and teams wasted 1rst rounders on them. Go swing for the fences when drafting in the first round, not just first base.
Gauthier is a safe pick but that doesn't mean his potential is low, it's quite the contrary actually.

Couturier was a rather safe pick too y'know.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Gauthier is a safe pick but that doesn't mean his potential is low, it's quite the contrary actually.

couturier played in the WJC in his draft year and had 96 points the year before and 96 pts the year he was drafted. He was also in the discussion of 1st overall for most of 2011. He showed much more offensive potential than Gauthier.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post

From what I hear, he is a safe pick and resembles players like Hanzal and Antropov. Unless his scoring shoots up I see him as a 3rd liner. Only time will tell however.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
couturier played in the WJC in his draft year and had 96 points the year before and 96 pts the year he was drafted. He was also in the discussion of 1st overall for most of 2011. He showed much more offensive potential than Gauthier.
If you've been reading this thread, then you know I'm not ready to compare Gauthier's offensive potential with Couturier's just yet.

I was just showing that being a safe(read here good chances he makes the NHL) pick doesn't make you a less dangerous player offensively. People should separate those two, yes they are often related, but not this time. This guy is just very complete. And that's why he's going to be a top20 pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
From what I hear, he is a safe pick and resembles players like Hanzal and Antropov. Unless his scoring shoots up I see him as a 3rd liner. Only time will tell however.
Unless his scoring shoots up? If he had played all the games for Rimouski this year he'd be the best scorer as far as rookies go. He is 4 points behind Zykov, with 5 less games played. He has 41 points in 36 games played. He might not be as productive as a Mantha or an Erne, you're right. But don't forget it's his rookie season in the 'Q. Mantha is a 94' late too. Frédérik should be having a better 2nd part of the year, having adjusted to the 'Q.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 01-10-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Mathletic

Laurent Dauphin playing a good game tonight against the Remparts. He has made at least 3 very good defensive plays, backchecks, and also scored a goal battling for a loose puck in front of the net.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:40 AM
hab 4ever

Quote:
I don't think Gauthier is quite as good a prospect as Couturier was in his draft year but this comparison does not strike me as fair. Keep in mind Couturier's draft year was his third in the QMJHL whereas this is Gauthier's first. I see him as a slighly poor man's Jordan Staal. Better potential than Hanzal and Antropov.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Et le But

Well it's not like Antropov didn't have a lot of potential, he was drafted 10th overall for a reason. He just never overcome his weaknesses. I mean at 18 he put up pretty good numbers in the Russian Superleague and actually had a decent rookie season at Toronto, he just never got much better after that.

From the little I've seen I have liked Gauthier but I do find those guys drafted for size-first tend to have a high bust potential, I think Gauthier has more hockey intelligence and drive than say, Antropov, but he's far more of a project than Couturier or Jordan Staal.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well it's not like Antropov didn't have a lot of potential, he was drafted 10th overall for a reason. He just never overcome his weaknesses. I mean at 18 he put up pretty good numbers in the Russian Superleague and actually had a decent rookie season at Toronto, he just never got much better after that.

From the little I've seen I have liked Gauthier but I do find those guys drafted for size-first tend to have a high bust potential, I think Gauthier has more hockey intelligence and drive than say, Antropov, but he's far more of a project than Couturier or Jordan Staal.
I'd say Staal is a fairly good comparison in regards to where they were at in their draft years...let's not forget that people were making a projection on Staal too..he wasn't showing great offensive skills or production in junior (68 points and 28 goals in his draft year), but scouts figured when he matured and filled out that his physical skills would translate well to the pro game at both ends of the ice.

I talked to a senior eastern conference scout the other day about Gauthier - a couple of days after we'd both seen him in Gatineau...he figures the sky is the limit for the kid, and he's a top ten pick until further notice. Says he'll be a top two center who is excellent defensively, likes his skating, his size, his competitiveness, sense and vision....and I don't disagree. I would say he and Mueller are the two prospects most underrated by scouting agencies and draft followers at this time.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I'd say Staal is a fairly good comparison in regards to where they were at in their draft years...let's not forget that people were making a projection on Staal too..he wasn't showing great offensive skills or production in junior (68 points and 28 goals in his draft year), but scouts figured when he matured and filled out that his physical skills would translate well to the pro game at both ends of the ice.

I talked to a senior eastern conference scout the other day about Gauthier - a couple of days after we'd both seen him in Gatineau...he figures the sky is the limit for the kid, and he's a top ten pick until further notice. Says he'll be a top two center who is excellent defensively, likes his skating, his size, his competitiveness, sense and vision....and I don't disagree. I would say he and Mueller are the two prospects most underrated by scouting agencies and draft followers at this time.
Interesting...sounds like he might not be a sleeper pick the Habs can focus on if we don't draft in the top 15...Surprised it took him this long to get noticed.

Thanks for the update.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:01 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
That's a reason why I love our 3 second round picks so much. With all the depth in the Q this year, we could draft a talented french canadian. I would always pick talent first, but when you have the chance to draft a talented player that grew up watching your favorite team, you draft him. Some players (Gauthier, Mantha, Carrier) have the tool and frame we need AND they are french canadian. And we could get one of them in the 2nd round. So much hype for the next draft, I'm really looking for it.
Quote:
He doesn't have skating issues..quite the opposite.
Why stop at one talented French-Canadian when there are Gauthier,Mantha,Carrier and Drouin available.For a very adept front office staff like the Habs have,it shouldn't be too difficult to find trading partners with 1st round choices,making it more than reasonable to expect at least two of those four players drafted by the Habs and maybe more.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
MXD

Quote:

I heard, and not only from you, that he was really rising -- but I just didn't know at which point. I mean, after watching him in Gatineau, I can say that he impressed me more than Mantha. Erne? Well, I guess that one is way closer. Maybe I overrate Erne, though.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Why stop at one talented French-Canadian when there are Gauthier,Mantha,Carrier and Drouin available.For a very adept front office staff like the Habs have,it shouldn't be too difficult to find trading partners with 1st round choices,making it more than reasonable to expect at least two of those four players drafted by the Habs and maybe more.
Honestly, if we only pick one of them (say, Gauthier) -- I'd say : keep a second rounder guys.

Mainly because I'm not convinced that Mantha and Carrier will end up being better than Samuel Morin in the long run.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:10 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:

Big Mueller fan! After that WJC as well, everyone has their eye on him. What surprised me the most is how well he adjusted without Murray in Everett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Honestly, if we only pick one of them (say, Gauthier) -- I'd say : keep a second rounder guys.

Mainly because I'm not convinced that Mantha and Carrier will end up being better than Samuel Morin in the long run.
I just don't see it with Morin. He makes just terrible mistakes every time I see him.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:09 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post

I just don't see it with Morin. He makes just terrible mistakes every time I see him.
Let's see it this way.

He'S a top minute muncher on the 2nd best defensive team (or so) in the Q.

And he's 17 years old.

That means he HAVE to do something right.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Let's see it this way.

He'S a top minute muncher on the 2nd best defensive team (or so) in the Q.

And he's 17 years old.

That means he HAVE to do something right.
What he has on the others is the size. That's impressive. Okay footspeed for a guy his age but will obviously have to work on it. I've seen him live this year 3 times and he is definately a good prospect. Remains to be seen where I,ll have him at the end of the year. He's a nice raw project but I think other players will have greatest upsides in the 2nd round.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:22 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What he has on the others is the size. That's impressive. Okay footspeed for a guy his age but will obviously have to work on it. I've seen him live this year 3 times and he is definately a good prospect. Remains to be seen where I,ll have him at the end of the year. He's a nice raw project but I think other players will have greatest upsides in the 2nd round.
The thing with Morin is that, while you're probably right about the fact there will be players with higher upsides, he's also a guy who is likely to be drafted higher, mainly due to size and fighting ability (in addition to the fact that he can actually play very well). As raw as he is, he's really efficient as well at this point.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:46 PM
hab 4ever

Also Morin is becoming more productive offensively.

First 20 games this season: 0g, 3a, 3pts
Last 19 games this season: 3g, 9a, 12 pts

Old
01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Grant McCagg

Morin is improving during the season...scouts like to see that from a big prospect,especially a 6-7 one - he is raw and is certainly a project, but he could be quite a force when he's filled out.

He played pretty well in Hull - skates well for a 6-7 dman his age and he's got a mean streak in him..the main thing is that he wants to move guys out from in front of the net even if he doesn't always succeed at this point, also not afraid to use his stick to remind the guy he's there, and he can fight.

I can see him being a tough SOB to play against in three or four years if he gains the necessary strength. He's not going to be a rushing defenceman that runs your power play...but he was keeping it simple and getting the puck on teammates' sticks for the most part that night. I could picture him paired with Tinordi in a few years, and being quite effective. Mind you I also picture Diaby with Tinordi....Lucic would have his hands full with either of those pairings.

Morin would be a riser..starting to hear some whispers that if the improvement continues he'll be considered in the first round - I don't see it at this point, but safe to say that if he doesn't revert to early season form someone will take a flyer on him in the second round, perhaps the top 40.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:26 PM
ChoseLa

I didn't like that Morin went for the KO on Etchegary, was a great show of nastiness but he could have just pushed him around instead of destroying him. That makes me question his intelligence. I like everything else appart from that.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:40 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I didn't like that Morin went for the KO on Etchegary, was a great show of nastiness but he could have just pushed him around instead of destroying him. That makes me question his intelligence. I like everything else appart from that.
Wasn't that more than one year ago?

Old
01-12-2013, 04:45 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Pas l'temps d'niaiser

Old
01-12-2013, 06:28 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Zykov with a 6 point-day.

Saw Grant tweet that he was the most impressive Russian for the draft for him.

Quite the find by Baie-Comeau in the 2nd round of the import, where most teams skip their picks.

Closed Thread