HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Expectations and Predictions for 2013. Be as off the wall as you want to be

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
  #76
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 66,931
vCash: 50
- An "intimate" video of Alyonka is found online.
- Malkin scores 40 goals
- Crosby scores 80 points
- Someone get's a concussion in the first game back
- Win the cup

The one that I'd really want to come true is obviously the last one. (Although the top one wouldn't be bad )

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:25 PM
  #77
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Dunno if Shero has anything lined up, but Id imagine there's gonna be a flurry of activity in the coming days. With the trade deadline so late, Id prefer to get our moves done ASAP.
He had better have something planned. I know that this is a forward oritented thread, but looking back not signing Semin in hindsight was criminal negligence. If he goes into the season almost $12 million under the cap and could have added an upgrade at wing as Semin for nothing but cap space that is 'Sucko' level malpractice. And people better not give me the whole Parise pursuit thing, the Semin thing was after that fell through.

If he does nothing good with that cap space I am going to be pissed, especially since our tickets went way up again.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:28 PM
  #78
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 500
I definitely think Shero is going to make a huge move at or before the deadline this year. I just think he has to be feeling some pressure after three straight early playoff exits and he has a lot of assets after not trading away much the past few deadlines.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:03 PM
  #79
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,475
vCash: 500
I agree we'll see him be as active as ever. We have our blue line prospect pool built. Cap space. And recent early playoff exits. All signs point to loading up for a Cup run.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:07 PM
  #80
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Fleury will mislplay a puck and it will lead to a goal, multiple times. After each time, fans will say "Flower's been much improved/a lot better/ looking more confident/etc at handling the puck except for that most recent ****-up."

I swear I see this every time that particular incident occurs.


Last edited by Sivek: 01-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:11 PM
  #81
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Don't see it happening.

Nothing. At. All.

And I cry a little, because we're going out in the first round. again.

Please prove me wrong, Shero and DB.




And I also hope that Fleury will be in god-like mode to shut all you damn haters up.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
  #82
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,291
vCash: 500
He may make a red panda of us all as soon as today, if McKenzie's theories are right that a bunch of deals are already agreed upon but can't be acted upon until the CBA is officially signed (which should be sometime this afternoon). Not getting my hopes up but it's one of those situations where anything is possible.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:17 PM
  #83
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
I really hope that the team learned from last seasons debacle. McKenzies theory make sense and I hope that there's some substance behind that for the Pens.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:44 PM
  #84
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,542
vCash: 500
It makes some sense. Typically in an offseason you have teams tweak their teams based on the flaws that they saw in the prior season. That includes FA signings and trades. This was an odd year with the strike though. You had the UFA period, but the typical trade period was delayed for the most part because of uncertainty with the new CBA. The UFA market was effected by that factor as well. Some teams took some real chances there. But in any event most of the normal trade part of the equation never did occur leaving that part to now. I would not be surprised to see 20-30 trades in the next few days. Sadly I would also not be surprised to see Shero enter the season with the team as is. He is notoriously cautious with trades.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:47 PM
  #85
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
we were 5th last year. this should be a no brainer
On the powerplay??? Really???

I could see our PK abilities being amongst top 5 in the league last year but not our powerplay. Then again it's been so long I can't remember.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:47 PM
  #86
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
He may make a red panda of us all as soon as today, if McKenzie's theories are right that a bunch of deals are already agreed upon but can't be acted upon until the CBA is officially signed (which should be sometime this afternoon). Not getting my hopes up but it's one of those situations where anything is possible.
What'd McKenzie say???

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:51 PM
  #87
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Basically he said that there were alot of deals done or in the making, just waiting for the MOU so it can be made official.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:09 PM
  #88
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
On the powerplay??? Really???

I could see our PK abilities being amongst top 5 in the league last year but not our powerplay. Then again it's been so long I can't remember.
I thought that you were kidding and knew.

Our special teams were spectacular. Regular season.

5th PP %, 4th PP goals, 3rd PK %, 2nd PK goals allowed:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=447


The Pens scored the most goals in the NHL and it was not even close:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=404

Even our defense was only middle of the pack, though 5 on 5 obviously would be worse than these numbers given how stellar the special teams play was. Again regular season.

17th in goals allowed:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ar=season_2011

And all of that was with losing among the most man games in the NHL, including some of the top players in the game for huge chunks of the season. Which brings us to the point of how much one bad week in Philly has skewed perceptions of the Pens to ridiculous proportions. They sucked against Philly in the playoffs. But people seem to forget how truly good they were before that. And the tear that they went on toward the end of the year. Only a couple weeks before people were asking if the playoffs even needed to be played with how the Pens were playing. There is no reason to suspect that the Pens will be any less formidible. The core of the team is barely entering its prme. Crosby and Malkin are only 25 and 26 for instance.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:18 PM
  #89
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I thought that you were kidding and knew.

Our special teams were spectacular. Regular season.

5th PP %, 4th PP goals, 3rd PK %, 2nd PK goals allowed:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=447


The Pens scored the most goals in the NHL and it was not even close:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=404

Even our defense was only middle of the pack, though 5 on 5 obviously would be worse than these numbers given how stellar the special teams play was. Again regular season.

17th in goals allowed:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ar=season_2011

And all of that was with losing among the most man games in the NHL, including some of the top players in the game for huge chunks of the season. Which brings us to the point of how much one bad week in Philly has skewed perceptions of the Pens to ridiculous proportions. They sucked against Philly in the playoffs. But people seem to forget how truly good they were before that. And the tear that they went on toward the end of the year. Only a couple weeks before people were asking if the playoffs even needed to be played with how the Pens were playing. There is no reason to suspect that the Pens will be any less formidible. The core of the team is barely entering its prme. Crosby and Malkin are only 25 and 26 for instance.
Neat stats to read. Thanks for sharing.

I probably did know of our PP and PK successes last year, but that seems like ages ago. Plus I drank alot during the lockout so...

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
  #90
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 31,883
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm not going to hold Shero accountable as some of you are for not having the winger thing tied up immediately. We went after Suter and Parise, obviously, and it didn't work out. That happens. He went for it and it didn't work. Oh well.

Shero has been solid at filling holes and I think he will do the same this season. Can't harp on him because certain guys didn't pan out in our system (Michalek/Martin).

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:21 PM
  #91
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 50
In Shero I still trust.

Just sayin'.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
  #92
rmartin65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm not going to hold Shero accountable as some of you are for not having the winger thing tied up immediately. We went after Suter and Parise, obviously, and it didn't work out. That happens. He went for it and it didn't work. Oh well.

Shero has been solid at filling holes and I think he will do the same this season. Can't harp on him because certain guys didn't pan out in our system (Michalek/Martin).
I get not laying into Shero because guys signed elsewhere. That's fine. But it is the GM's job to find talent that fits the system.

rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:39 PM
  #93
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
"Pittsburgh trades Craig Adams and Ben Lovejoy to Toronto for Colton Orr and Dion Phaneuf."

^ Please?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:48 PM
  #94
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,542
vCash: 500
Just a thought though. The Pens accomplished all of those stats I listed above basically without Crosby for all but a handful of games last year (not to mention among the most man games lost overall in the NHL). You would be an idiot to not give Shero some credit for the depth of the team he assembled. The proof is in the pudding.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:52 PM
  #95
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!
 
Sh00terMcGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,984
vCash: 500
Paul Martin turns it around and becomes a very steady top 4 d-man. Worth the money he's being paid? Nope, but becomes someone you can trust against other team's top lines.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:01 PM
  #96
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 31,883
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
If Martin can play the way he did for NJ and the first year or so in Pittsburgh, he's a damn good player. Last year was just pathetic. I was so disappointed in him and Tyler Kennedy for having the stage to shine on...and completely pissing it away.

Those 2 are on the hottest of hot seats. And it looks like Bylsma might get my MT treatment this year. So I apologize in advance if I try to break down schematic flaws all season.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:07 PM
  #97
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13
 
mrzeigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
* Dustin Jeffrey posts 33 points in this shortened season.

* Pascal Dupuis ends the season with more points that Zach Parise.

* As James Neal loses his hair, Alex Goligoski miraculously regrows his. And, damn, is it beautiful.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:10 PM
  #98
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13
 
mrzeigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Oh, and the Pouliot draft thread will average at least 3 posts a week through midJune.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:46 PM
  #99
BeauKnows19
Registered User
 
BeauKnows19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
Oh, and the Pouliot draft thread will average at least 3 posts a week through midJune.
Then, we will draft another defenseman

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:27 PM
  #100
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
He had better have something planned. I know that this is a forward oritented thread, but looking back not signing Semin in hindsight was criminal negligence. If he goes into the season almost $12 million under the cap and could have added an upgrade at wing as Semin for nothing but cap space that is 'Sucko' level malpractice. And people better not give me the whole Parise pursuit thing, the Semin thing was after that fell through.

If he does nothing good with that cap space I am going to be pissed, especially since our tickets went way up again.
this.

people kept saying "wait til the season starts when shero has all this cap room..." well here we are.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.