HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Andrew Ladd

Old
06-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I just read the first post...

I think most in here would've loved to have had Ladd a #6 and were disappointed he came off the board so quickly. I do not think one person thought that Montoya was even in the mix. Ladd was coveted by most posters, Edge especially.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think we all knew Ladd would be off the board if we couldn't trade up. I was in the Olesz camp, though I never disliked Montoya. I was against Tukonen and liked Radulov, I knew Melnyk couldn't wait to chime in on that one

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I was in the Barker camp, when I heard about Cam Barker, I wanted the Rangers to nab him, but I knew he would be off the board by the time we got to him unless we traded up.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:54 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
I was in the Barker camp, when I heard about Cam Barker, I wanted the Rangers to nab him, but I knew he would be off the board by the time we got to him unless we traded up.

I like Barker as well, but in 2002 I wanted Duncan Keith in the 2ed round. We picked Falardeau. I hope he can replace Betts in the future.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I think we all knew Ladd would be off the board if we couldn't trade up. I was in the Olesz camp, though I never disliked Montoya. I was against Tukonen and liked Radulov, I knew Melnyk couldn't wait to chime in on that one
I don't think any of us knew that Ladd would be off the board by #6. Tukonen and Olesz were considered the best forward prospects after Malkin and Ovechkin by most publications. With Montoya also on the board, it was a reasonable hope that Ladd would still be around at #6.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos
I don't think any of us knew that Ladd would be off the board by #6. Tukonen and Olesz were considered the best forward prospects after Malkin and Ovechkin by most publications. With Montoya also on the board, it was a reasonable hope that Ladd would still be around at #6.
Leading up to the draft Ladd was discussed as a top 5 pick, there was really no doubt, everyone had him going to Phoenix at #5 the very least. Ladd was ranked high on my most peoples list, higher than Olesz, Tukonen or Radulov.

Old
06-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Leading up to the draft Ladd was discussed as a top 5 pick, there was really no doubt, everyone had him going to Phoenix at #5 the very least. Ladd was ranked high on my most peoples list, higher than Olesz, Tukonen or Radulov.
Actually, I seem to remember that most people I talked to had Montoya going to Phoenix, since there was, and still is, a lack of goaltending prospects in their system.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Actually, I seem to remember that most people I talked to had Montoya going to Phoenix, since there was, and still is, a lack of goaltending prospects in their system.
Yeah, I do remember some saying that, but it wasn't set in stone.
Most agreed that Ladd would most likely go before our pick. Thats why we were having the Tukonen/Olesz/Radulov debates, and look where that got us

Old
06-15-2006, 02:30 PM
True Blue

Actually, as I recall there was only one or two people who were beating the drum for Tukonen. Many more people were happier with Montoya than him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Edge

Ladd still is and was about more than numbers, much like Getzlaf.

Having said that, he adjusted very well to the AHL this year despite being only 19 at the start the season and one of the youngest players in the league.

Ladd's not a 60 goal, 100 point player. He is a Smyth like team player who can really just add so much to an organization. Granted he'll get his share of points, but he'll be such a good fit with a guy like Staal. He would've been great with guys like Jagr and Prucha, but there's nothing we can do about that.

Scary to think that for as good as the Canes are now, they still have some guys who haven't even fully arrived at the NHL level yet.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Edge

Quote:
I gotta disagree I don't think Tukonen as seen as quite that high (except for some people who were completely in love with him).

Olesz's question marks have somehow been washed away with some time.

Olesz was seen as a kid who had the skills but how's offensive potential was questioned. He did not take it the level thought of for him and there were concerns over a vicious hit he took from Phaneuf that year.

Even now no one really knows where Olesz's offensive upside is. He could be a very good checking forward who pops in some points, or he could be a much bigger scorer. The jury is still out on that one, much like it was then.

Old
06-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Fletch

Scary to think...

that they're also doing all this without Cole...talk about depth!

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
that they're also doing all this without Cole...talk about depth!
Can't go wrong with Eric Staal at center, Cam Ward in goal and two wingers with the styles of Cole and Ladd on the wings.

Old
06-15-2006, 03:05 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Can't go wrong with Eric Staal at center, Cam Ward in goal and two wingers with the styles of Cole and Ladd on the wings.
Let's not forget about someone named Jack Johnson. Don't they also have Thelen?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Let's not forget about someone named Jack Johnson. Don't they also have Thelen?
No Thelen. Besides Thelen is a concern at this point, there's still time but he's been VERY up and down since he was drafted.

And I completely forgot about Johnson, that's simply huge. No other way to put it.

If the Canes are smart, they can be a very good team for the next 10 years.

Old
06-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Canes have good depth in goal too amongst their prospects.

Remember the '02 draft, they took Cam Ward? Lots of laughs at that pick I remember

Old
06-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Edge

The Canes will probably need to improve their later round drafting in order to sustain their team over the long haul.

To some extent they are almost the anti-Rangers.

They make great picks in the first rounds, it's the later rounds that they seem to struggle to find some gems.

Old
06-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Synergy27

Quote:

Remember the '02 draft, they took Cam Ward? Lots of laughs at that pick I remember
I wonder who they're gonna pick up when they unload Gerber in the offseason. This team is in a very enviable position.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 03:44 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:

I wanted Ward in 02 and Ben Eager and Stoll, as well. Oh well at least we got Lee Falardeau.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 06:14 PM
frozenrubber

JOrts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I wanted Ward in 02 and Ben Eager and Stoll, as well. Oh well at least we got Lee Falardeau.
JOrts...please stop. Just like your trade proposals, when it comes to drafts, you mention a ton of players you liked.

Cam Barker...you really went out on a limb liking that kid. And Ben Eager went in the 1st round, so the Rangers didn't even have a chance that draft.

As I see it, you can make a case for ANY player in the first 2 rounds of any draft. If you want to scope out some real gems from the 2nd round on and share with the board, go crazy. But I just don't want to read,

"I was really high on Crosby in his draft year..."

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:32 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber
Cam Barker...you really went out on a limb liking that kid.
How exactly can you say that? He's a good skater, a good head for the game, hard to beat one-on-one, has good sizeand a mean streak to go with it, and a great shot. He's just about the total package.

Plus we could have used help on defense at the time. It would have been a great pick for us.

Old
06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
How exactly can you say that? He's a good skater, a good head for the game, hard to beat one-on-one, has good sizeand a mean streak to go with it, and a great shot. He's just about the total package.

Plus we could have used help on defense at the time. It would have been a great pick for us.
I guess sarcasm eluded you. I was commenting on JOrts propensity to like obviously talented players. You know what, I really liked a kid named Ovechkin in that year's draft as well. I wonder how he's doing.

Undoubtly Cam Barker is a great prospect, proved so by being picked #3 after AO and Malkin respectively.

Your commentary on moving up would be well placed but we found the pricetag of swapping spots w/ Phoenix to be TOO HIGH, so the braintrust didn't have the ante for getting the #3 pick.

From now on, people should focus on finding sleepers and receiving the "told you so" kudos afterwards, not this I liked the "Top 5 Pick" guy.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:53 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber
I guess sarcasm eluded you. I was commenting on JOrts propensity to like obviously talented players. You know what, I really liked a kid named Ovechkin in that year's draft as well. I wonder how he's doing.

Undoubtly Cam Barker is a great prospect, proved so by being picked #3 after AO and Malkin respectively.

Your commentary on moving up would be well placed but we found the pricetag of swapping spots w/ Phoenix to be TOO HIGH, so the braintrust didn't have the ante for getting the #3 pick.

From now on, people should focus on finding sleepers and receiving the "told you so" kudos afterwards, not this I liked the "Top 5 Pick" guy.
I wish we could find sleepers in the first round as well as finding sleepers in round 7.