HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXI - Nobody Loves Raymond Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 09:10 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacJokinen View Post
Isles wouldn' do that deal though, also the fact that Bozak is UFA and almost everyone would prefer Nielsen to Bozak. Ballard for Pokka seems doable, NYI needs roster defenceman. NYI might want Canucks to retain some of Ballard's salary though. Also three way deals often don't happen outside of video games, while we saw one last season (Quincey, Downie, 1st trade).

This whole proposal could actually work if VAN retains some of Ballards salary and maybe add a midpick going to NJ. A signed Bozak would help too.
There's been a bunch of rumblings that the Lu deal might be a 3 way. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch at this point.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:00 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Ballard, Connauton 5th, for Diaz, Nokelainen, 1st/2nd, Gomez
Montreal pays for some of Gomez's salary
Stash him away in the AHL and buy him out next year.

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Bieksa
Edler Diaz
Alberts

Anyone?

Old
01-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Outside99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Bieksa
Edler Diaz
Alberts

Anyone?
Diaz would be a good pick-up - smart player, solid rookie season. May have some upside. Nokelainen is a hard worker, 4th liner though. Gomez hasn't been getting it done, I fear Sturm 2.0.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:40 AM
turkulad

Quote:

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Bieksa
Edler Diaz
Alberts

Anyone?
Wouldn't wanna jeopardize our already weak D prospect core by dealing Connauton.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
Wouldn't wanna jeopardize our already weak D prospect core by dealing Connauton.
I dont think its all that weak actually, its better than our forward prospect group, by far

Just seems that way because a bunch of them haven't reached the AHL yet, soon they will be there

Old
01-12-2013, 05:57 AM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
I dont think its all that weak actually, its better than our forward prospect group, by far

Just seems that way because a bunch of them haven't reached the AHL yet, soon they will be there
I'd also find the Montreal less than eager to trade away a first round pick for Keith Ballard. And I love Finns, but I wouldn't want Nokelainen as a major part of any deal that centers around our Raymond/Ballard/Luongo trade bait. Maybe if we decide to and manage to find another place to shine for Malhotra but that's it.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
I'd also find the Montreal less than eager to trade away a first round pick for Keith Ballard. And I love Finns, but I wouldn't want Nokelainen as a major part of any deal that centers around our Raymond/Ballard/Luongo trade bait. Maybe if we decide to and manage to find another place to shine for Malhotra but that's it.
I wasn't defending the trade, i didn't even look at the trade proposal to be honest.

Just thought i'd correct the statement about the amount of d prospects we have

Old
01-12-2013, 06:13 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Just read a proposal from a Leafs fan on the main board suggesting:

Kesler, Luongo for Lupul, Kadri, Bozak and Franson

Made me spit out my morning coffee.
We need to start trolling the main board by agreeing to these with minor changes. Ie counter with

replace franson with finn or frattin and add a second

Kesler, Luongo, Rodin
for
Lupul, Bozak, Kadri, Finn, 2nd

Old
01-12-2013, 07:03 AM
turkulad

The NYI three-way was shot down by NYI fans, but the Raymond-for-Tallinder swap was given the green light by several NJD fans. So just have to find a place where we can at least get some decent value out of Ballard and where he fills a need. Maybe Ottawa?

Old
01-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
We need to start trolling the main board by agreeing to these with minor changes. Ie counter with

Kesler, Luongo, Rodin
for
Lupul would get into AVs dog house, real quick. He's so bad defensively.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
There's been a bunch of rumblings that the Lu deal might be a 3 way. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch at this point.
Has anyone credible said this? All I've seen is fan proposals. Three way trades are difficult to pull off in a salary cap environment. It's enough of a challenge to balance value, cap hit and team needs in a traditional hockey trade.

Being able to swap cap space certainly helps.

I think the other thing that makes it difficult is that the Canucks greatest need is a 2nd line centre. The 2 teams that are most often mentioned as trading partners - Toronto and Florida are both a bit thin at centre (at least NHL ready centres). League wide, first of second line centre and first pairing, puck moving defensemen are the most valuable commodities.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:55 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post

Kesler, Luongo, Rodin
for
LOL we give up the best 2 players for 4 guys we are not even sure make our team ... I wouldn't trade kesler alone for that group.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
LOL we give up the best 2 players for 4 guys we are not even sure make our team ... I wouldn't trade kesler alone for that group.
What do you mean? We get a PPG player, a 1st line C a top prospect, the steal of the 2012 draft, and a 2nd in a deep draft.

All for an albatross contract for a backup and an injury prone 2C.

Muhaha

Old
01-12-2013, 11:47 AM
John Bender*

TSN is reporting that Cody Franson will sign a contract the minute the CBA is ratified. Any chance that Gillis and Edler have been collaberating during the lockout with a surprise announcement today?

Old
01-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Agreed. Ridiculous. His Canucks fan card should be in jeopardy.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:59 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
I've been at this stuff again, and in spite of getting a lot of flak before for some proposal, here is something I've been thinking about, and also my first three-way-deal ever said out loud:

From NYI: Frans Nielsen, Ville Pokka
To NYI: Tyler Bozak, Keith Ballard

Even if Bozak weren't about to become a ufa,I doubt the NYI would move Nielsen for him.

Ex-isles Radek Martinek's coming to camp.
Staples reports that the Vis mess, goes before KHL/NHL front offices.

If the Isles lose Vis, Martinek will be his replacement for the 48 games.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:56 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
What do you mean? We get a PPG player, a 1st line C a top prospect, the steal of the 2012 draft, and a 2nd in a deep draft.

Muhaha
At least someone can read.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:01 PM
timw33

Quote:

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Bieksa
Edler Diaz
Alberts

Anyone?
Can't stash in the minors really, anything over $900k in the AHL counts against our cap.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
The NYI three-way was shot down by NYI fans, but the Raymond-for-Tallinder swap was given the green light by several NJD fans. So just have to find a place where we can at least get some decent value out of Ballard and where he fills a need. Maybe Ottawa?
Maybe we could get Zach Smith off of them?

Old
01-12-2013, 04:30 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Muhaha

Kesler's career high for goals: 40
Lupul's career high for goals: 25

And Kesler is a selke winner, Lupul is no good defensively.

Kadri is a Bust. Supposedly an offensive player, and not even top 50 in AHL scoring.

Bozak has never had a 20 goal season, nor a 50 point season, and he's only 2 years younger than Kesler.

No thanks. The Canucks would get fleeced in this deal losing two bonafide all-stars for Leaf garbage.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Kesler's career high for goals: 40
Lupul's career high for goals: 25

And Kesler is a selke winner, Lupul is no good defensively.

Kadri is a Bust. Supposedly an offensive player, and not even top 50 in AHL scoring.

Bozak has never had a 20 goal season, nor a 50 point season, and he's only 2 years younger than Kesler.

No thanks. The Canucks would get fleeced in this deal losing two bonafide all-stars for Leaf garbage.
Joke ---->

Your head ---->

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
01-12-2013, 10:06 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
TSN is reporting that Cody Franson will sign a contract the minute the CBA is ratified. Any chance that Gillis and Edler have been collaberating during the lockout with a surprise announcement today?
Absolutely no chance, Franson is a Restricted Free Agent so unless he gets an offer sheet or is traded he will be signing with the Leafs.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Absolutely no chance, Franson is a Restricted Free Agent so unless he gets an offer sheet or is traded he will be signing with the Leafs.
He was talking about Edler.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Agreed. Ridiculous. His Canucks fan card should be in jeopardy.
As should anyone suggesting that we should trade Edler or Kesler.... seriously.

I still am pretty sure that what is going to prove to be 'best for the team' will be a trade of Schneider not Luongo. I was suggesting this to a friend last night and it went something like this:

Me: Look at Schnieders contract, three years, no NTC, ends as a UFA right in his prime that is not a contract that you give to the guy who is your new starting goalie, that's a contract that it designed to be very tradeable.

Him: Well, thats just because he hasn't proven anything yet. They aren't going to give him a big deal when they aren't sure about what he can do in the playoffs.

Me: Exactly my point, the team doesn't have confidence in him or they would have given him a Bryzgalov type deal right? We are in a window here, why would we trade our experienced playoff tested goalie to keep a guy who hasn't won a single playoff game? We don't have time for him to learn how to win playoff games, by they time he sorts it out he could be walking as a UFA leaving us with what, Eddie Lack? No offense to Eddie, but then we start all over AGAIN and at that point we are tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding, you see the problem here.

In short, I am thinking that the team was actually showcasing Schneider last year. Now everyone thinks that he's a bonafied #1, after all he 'stole' Luongos job right?

If they are serious about doing whats 'best for the team' its Schneider that they trade because the returns are definitely going to be better and are far more likely to be what we actually want instead of some pathetic 'compromise' solutions. Also Lou would have to agree to any trade involving him, so he is only going to go to a team that he thinks has a reasonable chance of winning a cup, anything else is a step back for him at a point in his career where he is running out of time. All of the Toronto talk is ridiculous, he will never agree to a trade there no matter what he says in public.

I have been thinking this for a while, but Lou's interview yesterday sort of tipped the scales. Lou said that he was fine staying all year, that his teammates here are his friends and that he has developed 'close relationships' with the players here, that in March he was sure he wouldn't be back, but now he is here and Gillis can do whatever is 'best for the team', Schneider also said the same thing. Everything that he was saying was opening doors to staying. On sportsnet they talked about how much calmer he seemed, and that made me want him to stay, because if he has matured that way he will be a far far better goalie in pressure situations than the old hyper-intense Lou that he has been.

Anyways, I am calling it, the Canucks will trade Schneider not Lou, Lou will have the best season of his career and we will win the cup, mark my words and tear into me if it doesn't happen, but I expect to be treated like a god when I am proven right

Old
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
As should anyone suggesting that we should trade Edler or Kesler.... seriously.

I still am pretty sure that what is going to prove to be 'best for the team' will be a trade of Schneider not Luongo. I was suggesting this to a friend last night and it went something like this:

Me: Look at Schnieders contract, three years, no NTC, ends as a UFA right in his prime that is not a contract that you give to the guy who is your new starting goalie, that's a contract that it designed to be very tradeable.

Him: Well, thats just because he hasn't proven anything yet. They aren't going to give him a big deal when they aren't sure about what he can do in the playoffs.

Me: Exactly my point, the team doesn't have confidence in him or they would have given him a Bryzgalov type deal right? We are in a window here, why would we trade our experienced playoff tested goalie to keep a guy who hasn't won a single playoff game? We don't have time for him to learn how to win playoff games, by they time he sorts it out he could be walking as a UFA leaving us with what, Eddie Lack? No offense to Eddie, but then we start all over AGAIN and at that point we are tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding, you see the problem here.

In short, I am thinking that the team was actually showcasing Schneider last year. Now everyone thinks that he's a bonafied #1, after all he 'stole' Luongos job right?

If they are serious about doing whats 'best for the team' its Schneider that they trade because the returns are definitely going to be better and are far more likely to be what we actually want instead of some pathetic 'compromise' solutions. Also Lou would have to agree to any trade involving him, so he is only going to go to a team that he thinks has a reasonable chance of winning a cup, anything else is a step back for him at a point in his career where he is running out of time. All of the Toronto talk is ridiculous, he will never agree to a trade there no matter what he says in public.

I have been thinking this for a while, but Lou's interview yesterday sort of tipped the scales. Lou said that he was fine staying all year, that his teammates here are his friends and that he has developed 'close relationships' with the players here, that in March he was sure he wouldn't be back, but now he is here and Gillis can do whatever is 'best for the team', Schneider also said the same thing. Everything that he was saying was opening doors to staying. On sportsnet they talked about how much calmer he seemed, and that made me want him to stay, because if he has matured that way he will be a far far better goalie in pressure situations than the old hyper-intense Lou that he has been.

Anyways, I am calling it, the Canucks will trade Schneider not Lou, Lou will have the best season of his career and we will win the cup, mark my words and tear into me if it doesn't happen, but I expect to be treated like a god when I am proven right
I already predicted and argued this already. You can be a demi-God after me

Closed Thread