HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2013, 04:55 PM
  #926
Moore Money
Registered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,613
vCash: 500
Leaf fans are back to thinking they can get Luongo for scraps. It will take a good asset to acquire an elite goalie. Nonis knows this and will cave eventually. He is the one in the hot seat no Gillis.

Gillis can just sit back and wait this out.

Moore Money is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 04:57 PM
  #927
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
as a small guy, Schroder can't even put up good numbers in the AHL and although he looks like one of the better players out there when I see him play, he is not dominating as I would hope if he was vying for the second line spot. Hodgson looked dominant at the AHL level, Schroeder looks above average
I don't think the difference between Hodgson and Schroeder is as big as you're making it out to be. It's not like Cody plays any bigger than Jordan, so size really shouldn't be an issue between the two.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 04:57 PM
  #928
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,391
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Leaf fans are back to thinking they can get Luongo for scraps. It will take a good asset to acquire an elite goalie. Nonis knows this and will cave eventually. He is the one in the hot seat no Gillis.

Gillis can just sit back and wait this out.
Exactly. Luongo is already in Vancouver, and from the sounds of it he's perfectly fine being here this season. The Canucks are not over the cap and can easily go this season with Luongo/Schneider in net. It's also clear that MLSE wants to start winning. Can the Leafs go another season with Reimer/Scrivens in net? I would have to say that Gillis is in the position of power here, not to mention there are OTHER trade options for us aside from just Toronto.

__________________
Please have mercy on us Canucks fans! Fire Benning! Fire Linden! Fire Weisbrod! #Bexit #Lexit #Wexit
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 04:58 PM
  #929
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,982
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Leaf fans are back to thinking they can get Luongo for scraps. It will take a good asset to acquire an elite goalie. Nonis knows this and will cave eventually. He is the one in the hot seat no Gillis.

Gillis can just sit back and wait this out.
No he really can't just sit there and wait it out. Luongo has pride, he's not going to sit there all year as a back-up.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 04:58 PM
  #930
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,391
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I don't think the difference between Hodgson and Schroeder is as big as you're making it out to be. It's not like Cody plays any bigger than Jordan, so size really shouldn't be an issue between the two.
It really isn't. And if Schroeder had better linemates in the AHL his assist total would be much higher than it is. I actually think Schroeder will be very successful in the NHL.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 04:59 PM
  #931
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 59,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What makes Tyler Bozak any better than someone like Jason Arnott? Tyler Bozak is not worth Roberto Luongo, and he's certainly not a top 6 forward on a contending team. I do not see what he brings that makes him a better temporary solution to our top 6.
If you can't admit that Bozak is a better option than Arnott or Schroeder than I don't see this discussion going very far and we'll have to agree to disagree. You could make the case that we should keep Luongo and see what better options are available later, but it does not make sense for the leafs to give up much more for Luongo. It's basically a given that we wont get full value for Luongo, so if we can get a solid prospect ane fill a glaring hole in our lineup im happy. We cant just look at our needs.

Pip is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:01 PM
  #932
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,391
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
No he really can't just sit there and wait it out. Luongo has pride, he's not going to sit there all year as a back-up.
He's already in Vancouver, and he's stated he's fine with being here. As long as the Canucks continue with a winning environment I don't see why Luongo would deviate from his current approach? Especially if the Canucks are contending for a Stanley Cup, Luongo could see this as an opportunity to get a ring. And it isn't like the Canucks are going to have Luongo playing 10-15 games out of the 48 game schedule, the split will likely be closer to 24/24.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:01 PM
  #933
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
Leaf fans think they can get a new best player on their team for garbage.

I don't really understand.
In fairness we got Phaneuf, Lupul, Gardner, and Grabo for garbage. Thats 4 of our top 5 players. Even with that we dont really have the pieces in place to pay the price some Canuck fans are asking for.

Luongo makes us a contender for the playoff but not really for the cup. We aren't a strongly built team that is just missing a goalie.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:03 PM
  #934
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,391
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
If you can't admit that Bozak is a better option than Arnott or Schroeder than I don't see this discussion going very far and we'll have to agree to disagree. You could make the case that we should keep Luongo and see what better options are available later, but it does not make sense for the leafs to give up much more for Luongo. It's basically a given that we wont get full value for Luongo, so if we can get a solid prospect ane fill a glaring hole in our lineup im happy. We cant just look at our needs.
I'll ask again: what makes Bozak a good option for our lineup?

I get that we won't get full value in return for Luongo. Full value for Luongo, given that he's a top 5 goalie in the league, would be someone like Joe Thornton, not Tyler Bozak.

Also, I've addressed why Kadri wouldn't be a good fit here and I stand by that statement. He would be a wasted asset on our team. Maybe he flourishes elsewhere, but I don't see him doing well here based on who our coach is.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:03 PM
  #935
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming
 
HarrisonFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,523
vCash: 500
Haha, I really do laugh whenever I see a Canucks proposal that includes Gardiner.
Luongo with a 3-4M salary gets you Gardiner. Luongo with his current salary with the new CBA gets you Bozak + Kadri + scraps. You really need to come to terms with this.

And for the disillusioned who think you have the cap space to keep Lu, take a look on cap geek and digest the reality of things. On a value of pure player, you aren't going to get a fair return. Considering Vans cap situation and Lu's cap hit, Kadri + Bozak + scrap is not only "fair" but it's the best you are going to get.


Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 01-12-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: edit
HarrisonFord is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:04 PM
  #936
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 59,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I don't think the difference between Hodgson and Schroeder is as big as you're making it out to be. It's not like Cody plays any bigger than Jordan, so size really shouldn't be an issue between the two.
I agree that Schroeder is not that far behind Hodgson, but be won't really be nex to a bunch of snipers in the NHL either (Hansen, Higgins, Raymond) and although he is a strong defensive centre in the AHL, that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the NHL.

Pip is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:05 PM
  #937
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
He's already in Vancouver, and he's stated he's fine with being here. As long as the Canucks continue with a winning environment I don't see why Luongo would deviate from his current approach? Especially if the Canucks are contending for a Stanley Cup, Luongo could see this as an opportunity to get a ring. And it isn't like the Canucks are going to have Luongo playing 10-15 games out of the 48 game schedule, the split will likely be closer to 24/24.
Eventually the Canucks will have to move one of the goaltenders. It seems that Luongo is going to be that guy. You certainly dont have to move him right now but with the cap going down I doubt the market gets any better next summer.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:06 PM
  #938
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
In fairness we got Phaneuf, Lupul, Gardner, and Grabo for garbage. Thats 4 of our top 5 players. Even with that we dont really have the pieces in place to pay the price some Canuck fans are asking for.

Luongo makes us a contender for the playoff but not really for the cup. We aren't a strongly built team that is just missing a goalie.
Burke's time in Toronto shows good trades, except probably Kessel, but not very good drafting.

Numbers is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:07 PM
  #939
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,391
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Eventually the Canucks will have to move one of the goaltenders. It seems that Luongo is going to be that guy. You certainly dont have to move him right now but with the cap going down I doubt the market gets any better next summer.
I disagree. I think the market opens up a bit more next summer with the introduction of two compliance buy-outs. Teams could open up more cap space to add a guy like Luongo.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:08 PM
  #940
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 59,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Eventually the Canucks will have to move one of the goaltenders. It seems that Luongo is going to be that guy. You certainly dont have to move him right now but with the cap going down I doubt the market gets any better next summer.
I value making a run quite highly, so keeping him and going into the playoffs with Luongo could prove to be more valuable than the Bozak and Kadri package.

Pip is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
  #941
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I disagree. I think the market opens up a bit more next summer with the introduction of two compliance buy-outs. Teams could open up more cap space to add a guy like Luongo.
With all due respect, you think EVERYTHING increases Luongo's value.

Beezeral is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
  #942
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I agree that Schroeder is not that far behind Hodgson, but be won't really be nex to a bunch of snipers in the NHL either (Hansen, Higgins, Raymond) and although he is a strong defensive centre in the AHL, that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the NHL.
So is it worth it to trade our biggest chip to get a guy who's only marginally worse than our 3rd line center from last season? I'd rather sign an Arnott or Langkow and hold onto Luongo to ensure we have a great goalie in net every night. We'd obviously inclined to upgrade our center depth, but we're not desperate to trade Luongo to do so.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:12 PM
  #943
Moore Money
Registered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I value making a run quite highly, so keeping him and going into the playoffs with Luongo could prove to be more valuable than the Bozak and Kadri package.
empty roster space is more valuable than those two. KAdri has 0 chance of making the canucks lineup, and a player like bozak can be acquired at the trade deadline for a 6th round pick.

Moore Money is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:12 PM
  #944
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 59,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
So is it worth it to trade our biggest chip to get a guy who's only marginally worse than our 3rd line center from last season? I'd rather sign an Arnott or Langkow and hold onto Luongo to ensure we have a great goalie in net every night. We'd obviously inclined to upgrade our center depth, but we're not desperate to trade Luongo to do so.
I'm saying relying on an unproven rookie to play a significant role on a contending team is too risky and an player on their last legs is a huge risk as well

Pip is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  #945
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,391
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I'm saying relying on an unproven rookie to play a significant role on a contending team is too risky and an player on their last legs is a huge risk as well
I think either option makes more sense than trading a top 5 goalie for a mediocre third line center. Better yet, keep our goalie and trade a 3rd round pick for someone better than Bozak.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  #946
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,837
vCash: 500
I understand why Toronto wouldn't give up Gardiner for Luongo-- I wouldn't either.

The reason we're bad trade partners is because they don't have anything in between a fantastic prospect like Gardiner and completely mediocre assets like Bozak or Kadri. I'm not even sure if I'd be too thrilled with acquiring Bozak for a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Shareefruck is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  #947
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 16,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Burke's time in Toronto shows good trades, except probably Kessel, but not very good drafting.
I'd love to hear an explanation on why you think that.

htpwn is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:14 PM
  #948
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Leaf fans are back to thinking they can get Luongo for scraps. It will take a good asset to acquire an elite goalie. Nonis knows this and will cave eventually. He is the one in the hot seat no Gillis.

Gillis can just sit back and wait this out.
We can wait too. Hell, we've sucked for this long, we can suck a little longer. Hell, maybe Reimer's bad season was just a sophomore slump? Point is, if Luongo costs too much for Nonis, he'll wait it out, and see what happens. Best case, Reimer goes back to year 1 form and we're a good(ish) team. Worst case, we freaking bomb and get a great pick.

If you can wait, we certainly can too.

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:15 PM
  #949
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 59,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
empty roster space is more valuable than those two. KAdri has 0 chance of making the canucks lineup, and a player like bozak can be acquired at the trade deadline for a 6th round pick.
I disagree on both

People overpay at the deadline, and Bozak would not be had for a 6th. Also Kadri's high offensive instincts and playmaking ability could make him a great fit on the second line with Kesler once he gets back, and if not be could work well in a more offensive third line. Kadri is very versatile and I don't think AV will hate him like everyone is just assuming

Pip is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
  #950
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 29,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Haha, I really do laugh whenever I see a Canucks proposal that includes Gardiner.
Luongo with a 3-4M salary gets you Gardiner. Luongo with his current salary with the new CBA gets you Bozak + Kadri + scraps. You really need to come to terms with this.

And for the disillusioned who think you have the cap space to keep Lu, take a look on cap geek and digest the reality of things. On a value of pure player, you aren't going to get a fair return. Considering Vans cap situation and Lu's cap hit, Kadri + Bozak + scrap is not only "fair" but it's the best you are going to get.
So what if the Canucks eat $1 mil of Luongo's salary/year...

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.