HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Moore Money
Registered Snoozer

vCash: 500
Leaf fans are back to thinking they can get Luongo for scraps. It will take a good asset to acquire an elite goalie. Nonis knows this and will cave eventually. He is the one in the hot seat no Gillis.

Gillis can just sit back and wait this out.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:57 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
as a small guy, Schroder can't even put up good numbers in the AHL and although he looks like one of the better players out there when I see him play, he is not dominating as I would hope if he was vying for the second line spot. Hodgson looked dominant at the AHL level, Schroeder looks above average
I don't think the difference between Hodgson and Schroeder is as big as you're making it out to be. It's not like Cody plays any bigger than Jordan, so size really shouldn't be an issue between the two.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Leaf fans are back to thinking they can get Luongo for scraps. It will take a good asset to acquire an elite goalie. Nonis knows this and will cave eventually. He is the one in the hot seat no Gillis.

Exactly. Luongo is already in Vancouver, and from the sounds of it he's perfectly fine being here this season. The Canucks are not over the cap and can easily go this season with Luongo/Schneider in net. It's also clear that MLSE wants to start winning. Can the Leafs go another season with Reimer/Scrivens in net? I would have to say that Gillis is in the position of power here, not to mention there are OTHER trade options for us aside from just Toronto.

01-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:

No he really can't just sit there and wait it out. Luongo has pride, he's not going to sit there all year as a back-up.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I don't think the difference between Hodgson and Schroeder is as big as you're making it out to be. It's not like Cody plays any bigger than Jordan, so size really shouldn't be an issue between the two.
It really isn't. And if Schroeder had better linemates in the AHL his assist total would be much higher than it is. I actually think Schroeder will be very successful in the NHL.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What makes Tyler Bozak any better than someone like Jason Arnott? Tyler Bozak is not worth Roberto Luongo, and he's certainly not a top 6 forward on a contending team. I do not see what he brings that makes him a better temporary solution to our top 6.
If you can't admit that Bozak is a better option than Arnott or Schroeder than I don't see this discussion going very far and we'll have to agree to disagree. You could make the case that we should keep Luongo and see what better options are available later, but it does not make sense for the leafs to give up much more for Luongo. It's basically a given that we wont get full value for Luongo, so if we can get a solid prospect ane fill a glaring hole in our lineup im happy. We cant just look at our needs.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
No he really can't just sit there and wait it out. Luongo has pride, he's not going to sit there all year as a back-up.
He's already in Vancouver, and he's stated he's fine with being here. As long as the Canucks continue with a winning environment I don't see why Luongo would deviate from his current approach? Especially if the Canucks are contending for a Stanley Cup, Luongo could see this as an opportunity to get a ring. And it isn't like the Canucks are going to have Luongo playing 10-15 games out of the 48 game schedule, the split will likely be closer to 24/24.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:01 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
Leaf fans think they can get a new best player on their team for garbage.

I don't really understand.
In fairness we got Phaneuf, Lupul, Gardner, and Grabo for garbage. Thats 4 of our top 5 players. Even with that we dont really have the pieces in place to pay the price some Canuck fans are asking for.

Luongo makes us a contender for the playoff but not really for the cup. We aren't a strongly built team that is just missing a goalie.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
If you can't admit that Bozak is a better option than Arnott or Schroeder than I don't see this discussion going very far and we'll have to agree to disagree. You could make the case that we should keep Luongo and see what better options are available later, but it does not make sense for the leafs to give up much more for Luongo. It's basically a given that we wont get full value for Luongo, so if we can get a solid prospect ane fill a glaring hole in our lineup im happy. We cant just look at our needs.
I'll ask again: what makes Bozak a good option for our lineup?

I get that we won't get full value in return for Luongo. Full value for Luongo, given that he's a top 5 goalie in the league, would be someone like Joe Thornton, not Tyler Bozak.

Also, I've addressed why Kadri wouldn't be a good fit here and I stand by that statement. He would be a wasted asset on our team. Maybe he flourishes elsewhere, but I don't see him doing well here based on who our coach is.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:03 PM
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming

Haha, I really do laugh whenever I see a Canucks proposal that includes Gardiner.
Luongo with a 3-4M salary gets you Gardiner. Luongo with his current salary with the new CBA gets you Bozak + Kadri + scraps. You really need to come to terms with this.

And for the disillusioned who think you have the cap space to keep Lu, take a look on cap geek and digest the reality of things. On a value of pure player, you aren't going to get a fair return. Considering Vans cap situation and Lu's cap hit, Kadri + Bozak + scrap is not only "fair" but it's the best you are going to get.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 01-12-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: edit
Old
01-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Pip

Quote:
I agree that Schroeder is not that far behind Hodgson, but be won't really be nex to a bunch of snipers in the NHL either (Hansen, Higgins, Raymond) and although he is a strong defensive centre in the AHL, that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the NHL.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:05 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
He's already in Vancouver, and he's stated he's fine with being here. As long as the Canucks continue with a winning environment I don't see why Luongo would deviate from his current approach? Especially if the Canucks are contending for a Stanley Cup, Luongo could see this as an opportunity to get a ring. And it isn't like the Canucks are going to have Luongo playing 10-15 games out of the 48 game schedule, the split will likely be closer to 24/24.
Eventually the Canucks will have to move one of the goaltenders. It seems that Luongo is going to be that guy. You certainly dont have to move him right now but with the cap going down I doubt the market gets any better next summer.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
In fairness we got Phaneuf, Lupul, Gardner, and Grabo for garbage. Thats 4 of our top 5 players. Even with that we dont really have the pieces in place to pay the price some Canuck fans are asking for.

Luongo makes us a contender for the playoff but not really for the cup. We aren't a strongly built team that is just missing a goalie.
Burke's time in Toronto shows good trades, except probably Kessel, but not very good drafting.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Eventually the Canucks will have to move one of the goaltenders. It seems that Luongo is going to be that guy. You certainly dont have to move him right now but with the cap going down I doubt the market gets any better next summer.
I disagree. I think the market opens up a bit more next summer with the introduction of two compliance buy-outs. Teams could open up more cap space to add a guy like Luongo.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Pip

Quote:
I value making a run quite highly, so keeping him and going into the playoffs with Luongo could prove to be more valuable than the Bozak and Kadri package.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
I disagree. I think the market opens up a bit more next summer with the introduction of two compliance buy-outs. Teams could open up more cap space to add a guy like Luongo.
With all due respect, you think EVERYTHING increases Luongo's value.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
I agree that Schroeder is not that far behind Hodgson, but be won't really be nex to a bunch of snipers in the NHL either (Hansen, Higgins, Raymond) and although he is a strong defensive centre in the AHL, that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the NHL.
So is it worth it to trade our biggest chip to get a guy who's only marginally worse than our 3rd line center from last season? I'd rather sign an Arnott or Langkow and hold onto Luongo to ensure we have a great goalie in net every night. We'd obviously inclined to upgrade our center depth, but we're not desperate to trade Luongo to do so.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Moore Money
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
I value making a run quite highly, so keeping him and going into the playoffs with Luongo could prove to be more valuable than the Bozak and Kadri package.
empty roster space is more valuable than those two. KAdri has 0 chance of making the canucks lineup, and a player like bozak can be acquired at the trade deadline for a 6th round pick.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Pip

Quote:
So is it worth it to trade our biggest chip to get a guy who's only marginally worse than our 3rd line center from last season? I'd rather sign an Arnott or Langkow and hold onto Luongo to ensure we have a great goalie in net every night. We'd obviously inclined to upgrade our center depth, but we're not desperate to trade Luongo to do so.
I'm saying relying on an unproven rookie to play a significant role on a contending team is too risky and an player on their last legs is a huge risk as well

Old
01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I'm saying relying on an unproven rookie to play a significant role on a contending team is too risky and an player on their last legs is a huge risk as well
I think either option makes more sense than trading a top 5 goalie for a mediocre third line center. Better yet, keep our goalie and trade a 3rd round pick for someone better than Bozak.

Old
Shareefruck

I understand why Toronto wouldn't give up Gardiner for Luongo-- I wouldn't either.

The reason we're bad trade partners is because they don't have anything in between a fantastic prospect like Gardiner and completely mediocre assets like Bozak or Kadri. I'm not even sure if I'd be too thrilled with acquiring Bozak for a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Old
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Burke's time in Toronto shows good trades, except probably Kessel, but not very good drafting.
I'd love to hear an explanation on why you think that.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:14 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*

Quote:

We can wait too. Hell, we've sucked for this long, we can suck a little longer. Hell, maybe Reimer's bad season was just a sophomore slump? Point is, if Luongo costs too much for Nonis, he'll wait it out, and see what happens. Best case, Reimer goes back to year 1 form and we're a good(ish) team. Worst case, we freaking bomb and get a great pick.

If you can wait, we certainly can too.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Pip

Quote:
empty roster space is more valuable than those two. KAdri has 0 chance of making the canucks lineup, and a player like bozak can be acquired at the trade deadline for a 6th round pick.
I disagree on both

People overpay at the deadline, and Bozak would not be had for a 6th. Also Kadri's high offensive instincts and playmaking ability could make him a great fit on the second line with Kesler once he gets back, and if not be could work well in a more offensive third line. Kadri is very versatile and I don't think AV will hate him like everyone is just assuming

Old
01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Haha, I really do laugh whenever I see a Canucks proposal that includes Gardiner.
Luongo with a 3-4M salary gets you Gardiner. Luongo with his current salary with the new CBA gets you Bozak + Kadri + scraps. You really need to come to terms with this.

And for the disillusioned who think you have the cap space to keep Lu, take a look on cap geek and digest the reality of things. On a value of pure player, you aren't going to get a fair return. Considering Vans cap situation and Lu's cap hit, Kadri + Bozak + scrap is not only "fair" but it's the best you are going to get.
So what if the Canucks eat $1 mil of Luongo's salary/year...

Closed Thread