HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Hemsky to NJ

Old
01-12-2013, 02:29 PM
McJeety McJeet
Now w/ 100% more 'Mc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
They're all quality D, they're just not all superstars which you shouldn't expect to get for Hemsky
You shouldn't trade Hemsky for marginal players also.

McJeety McJeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Baggy Spandex
The Nightman Cometh

Volch made of glass. Now I've heard it all.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Only thing I would say about the Devils is they had guys who were a lot older, more veteran type players in their top six outside of Henrique. Guys that have been there done that. One of the reasons the Devils were so successful defensively was the ability to roll every D-pair evenly. Aside from Volchenkov-Larsson/Harrold, and even they weren't by any means a terrible third pairing. Devils defense from top-to-bottom right now is better than the Oilers, in my opinion, but it's not what we're debating about.

When it comes down to it, a guy like Tallinder could give you the self-assurance you need defensively. It doesn't hurt to have a guy like Tallinder playing on your third pairing if that's what it plays out to (or similarly Salvador who played their in the last three games of the SCF). But you know that you can totally rely on him to step in as a second pairing or even first pairing and hold his own.
Not to prolong the debate about our respective D-corps, but even if what you say about your teams D is true (something I contest, but for the sake of the debate...), who's spot does Tallinder take, and does it make sense at the cost of Hemsky? The Smid-Petry pairing really developed strong chemistry in the 2nd half of the season and are a lock to be our 2nd pairing/shutdown unit. I'd compare them to a lesser version of the Alzner-Carlson duo in Washington - same dynamics but less spectacular. Tallinder isn't taking one of their spots. Whitney says he is 100% healthy and was able to train in full capacity (trained with Crosby during the lock-out) unlike last off-season when his ankle tendon problem continued to linger. IMO, Whitney is a legit top pairing D and played that role in a Stanley Cup final appearance in 08. Paired with him will more than likely be Justin Schultz who was on pace for a 100 pt season as a rookie Dman in the AHL. Yes, haters will come up with every reason why that wont translate to NHL success, but to put it in context, Spezza had a near identical ppg avg during his lockout AHL season, which he followed up with a 90pt NHL campaign. Is it outlandish then to suggest Schultz could put up 25-30 pts in a 48 game season as a Calder threat?

Is there any reason to believe Tallinder could play in the Oilers top 4 with that in mind? That leaves him for the bottom pair, and I would prefer a little more grit from that pair. I also think if Hemsky stays healthy (yes, big if) he is a legit top 6 guy, something I wouldn't want to move for a bottom pairing Dman.

I'm sure you'll see my assessment differently, but either way I wouldn't want to part with (a potentially healthy) Hemmer for a slight upgrade at D.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I'd just rather the Oilers keep Hemsky than trade him for a Devils defenseman. I just don't think the value is there.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:46 PM
McArthur

Hemsky earns his paycheck in the playoffs. However, oilers need more grit on the blue line. Contract on volchenkov is too high.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:22 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
Hemsky earns his paycheck in the playoffs. However, oilers need more grit on the blue line. Contract on volchenkov is too high.
Hemsky hasn't played in the playoffs in 6 years...what in the world?!?!

Last edited by piqued: 01-12-2013 at 04:42 PM.
JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:46 PM
oilers4life5

vCash: 958
Please explain how Fayne is better than Petry? I mean really!

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
If I'm the Oilers, Hemsky doesn't get traded yet until he shows what guy is coming to camp. If it's the same guy that's been playing his ass off since his last injury, and been playing killer hockey in Europe in the lockout....Well, no, we don't want to trade that guy, because he will be Nail Yakupov's new best friend for feeding him freebies all the time.

I think Hemsky is one of those players that is probably going to benefit from the lockout more then anyone else.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:57 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Volch made of glass. Now I've heard it all.
I wouldn't go so far as made of glass, but it's only fair for us to acknowledge that he's missed anywhere from 10 to 25 games a season for the past five years. Yes, it's because of his style of play, but he still gets hurt often.

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:59 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Hemsky hasn't played in the playoffs in 6 years...what in the world?!?!

Hemsky was actually pretty good the last time he was in the playoffs. But I don't think he makes his check off that.

Last edited by piqued: 01-12-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: qep
Old
01-12-2013, 04:03 PM
SDig14

I would rather the Oilers just keep Hemsky.

If he plays a full year next year, he will be a very important piece to our secondary offensive threat with Gagner and likely Yakupov.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
KovalSNIPE

Fayne is a defenseman that gets paid 1.3mil a year, but plays a 3-4mil game. Next to Larsson, he is our most valuable defenseman for what he brings at that cap hit. He is a great shutdown player that helped lead a team that was in the basement 2 years ago into the Stanley Cup Finals. Petry might be the better player in the future, but right now, Fayne is better because he's just proven more in the league.

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
Fayne is a defenseman that gets paid 1.3mil a year, but plays a 3-4mil game. Next to Larsson, he is our most valuable defenseman for what he brings at that cap hit. He is a great shutdown player that helped lead a team that was in the basement 2 years ago into the Stanley Cup Finals. Petry might be the better player in the future, but right now, Fayne is better because he's just proven more in the league.
Fayne has proven more?
Petry plays on the top pairing and plays agaisnt the toughest competition.. How has a #6 Dman proven more?
You like you own players more which is fine.. Gives you no right to bash others...

Draiskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:30 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

He said Petry might be the better player in the future. Since when is that "bashing"?

Old
01-12-2013, 04:44 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Give the past trades about Hemsky for a dman, I'd say most EDM fans will call for:

Hemsky for Larsson + 2 1sts.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:54 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
As a Devils fan, I have very little interest in Ales Glass-ky.

Tallinder or Volchenkov is the type of comparable Oiler fans should expect in return regardless of the team on the other end.

No chance on earth does Mark Fayne get traded unless it's in a package for a Top 6 impact winger (which Hemsky is assuredly not). He pretty quietly became a stalwart last year for the Devils and was chewing up tons of minutes in all situations.
Whether or not you think Hemsky is a top 6 impact winger is irrelevant. He has been in the past, and he was late last season as well. If other GM's don't value Hemsky at where he should be, the Oilers will simply keep him until he proves once again that he is still the impact top line player he once was. If Tambellini was willing to trade him for spare parts, he would have done that a while ago, and Volchenkov especially is a spare part. The only one the Oilers should be interested in for Hemsky is Fayne, or maybe Tallinder, as long as Tallinder comes with something else that is fairly impressive.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:14 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Pass on both, Volchenkov would not waive his NTC and the Oilers wouldn't want his contract. If anything NJ needs Volchenkov for the grit he supplies, and if anything they need to add more. Tallinder is too soft for what the Oilers need and there is a question on his health status. Is there a chance that the blood clots could come back and he also has had back problems.

Best hold on to Hemsky and see what he does and if he can stay healthy. If he remains healthy, NJ would have to add a lot. From the looks of things he Devils don't have anything they would be willing to trade that the Oilers would want.
Hemsky's contract is worse than Volchenkov's.

Hemsky's injury problems are worse than Tallinder's.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Kid Dynamite
5 14 6 1

vCash: 835
I actually think Volchenkov would be a good fit in Edmonton. A physical veteran d man would go a long way to shaping up their defense. He could also potentially help Yakupov in the dressing room for the next few years, assuming Khabi is gone this off season. That being said he is probably only good for 65 odd games a year at this point and at 4.25 I would consider him slightly overpaid with the cap going down.

That being said I don't think I would want to give up Hemsky. I think Hemsky may finally be healthy, and if he returns to form and can stay healthy he will go a long ways to helping the Oilers secondary scoring roles. I would rather just stand pat with what we have and see if a guy like Musil / Klefboom can come in and play that sort of role while keeping Hemsky in the next few years when the Oilers should be a larger post season threat.

That being said if Volchenkov was willing to waive his NTC and if the Devils were willing to trade him, I would love to get him on the Oilers. There probably just isn't a trade to be had between the teams though.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Whether or not you think Hemsky is a top 6 impact winger is irrelevant. He has been in the past, and he was late last season as well. If other GM's don't value Hemsky at where he should be, the Oilers will simply keep him until he proves once again that he is still the impact top line player he once was. If Tambellini was willing to trade him for spare parts, he would have done that a while ago, and Volchenkov especially is a spare part. The only one the Oilers should be interested in for Hemsky is Fayne, or maybe Tallinder, as long as Tallinder comes with something else that is fairly impressive.
So you call their quality defenders spare parts simply because you've rarely heard of them and ***** about NJ overvaluing them, and then do exactly what you're complaining about with Hemsky?

Typical Edmonton fan.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:17 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Fayne has proven more?
Petry plays on the top pairing and plays agaisnt the toughest competition.. How has a #6 Dman proven more?
You like you own players more which is fine.. Gives you no right to bash others...
Fayne is not a #6 D, Fayne over Petry anyday of the week and twice on sundays.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeety mcjeet View Post
You shouldn't trade Hemsky for marginal players also.
As said before, all of our defenders minus Harrold would arguably be #2's on your team behind Smid

Volchnekov, Salvador, Tallinder, Greene, Larsson, Fayne, Zidlicky

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Rick Jagr

Volchenkov Barch 2nd

Rick Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:28 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So you call their quality defenders spare parts simply because you've rarely heard of them and ***** about NJ overvaluing them, and then do exactly what you're complaining about with Hemsky?

Typical Edmonton fan.
Rarely heard of them? Right. No, the fact that they are expendable (ie, Volchenkov and Tallinder) make them, by definition, spare parts in New Jersey. Plus Volchenkov played like a pylon last year, so he kind of should be referred to as one. I don't think New Jersey is over valuing anyone, I'm just saying that you aren't valuing Hemsky enough. I would take your attempted insult to heart, but I've been around here long enough to know you're trolling again.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Give the past trades about Hemsky for a dman, I'd say most EDM fans will call for:

Hemsky for Larsson + 2 1sts.
I'd settle for Larsson and 2 2nds

Mcnotloilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

If Edmonton trades Hemsky then who does Nail Yakupov play with?

Ryan Jones?
Ryan Smyth?

No thanks.

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote