HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky to NJ

Old
01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Cam98

vCash: 500
rather keep hemsky.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
As said before, all of our defenders minus Harrold would arguably be #2's on your team behind Smid

Volchnekov, Salvador, Tallinder, Greene, Larsson, Fayne, Zidlicky
And Petry. And Justin Schultz most likely. And Whitney. So, they would be #5's on our team. Except Larsson, Greene and Fayne of course. The guys we're actually talking about (Tallinder and Volchenkov) certainly wouldn't be any more than bottom pair here.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:30 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Rarely heard of them? Right. No, the fact that they are expendable (ie, Volchenkov and Tallinder) make them, by definition, spare parts in New Jersey. Plus Volchenkov played like a pylon last year, so he kind of should be referred to as one. I don't think New Jersey is over valuing anyone, I'm just saying that you aren't valuing Hemsky enough. I would take your attempted insult to heart, but I've been around here long enough to know you're trolling again.
The Florida Panthers series he sucked. The rest of the year he was realiable.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:32 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
And Petry. And Justin Schultz most likely. And Whitney. So, they would be #5's on our team. Except Larsson, Greene and Fayne of course. The guys we're actually talking about (Tallinder and Volchenkov) certainly wouldn't be any more than bottom pair here.
So.....

Smid-Whitney
Petry-Schultz
N. Schultz-Theo Peckham
Potter-Sutton

over

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Salvador
Volchenkov-Zidlicky
Tallinder-Harrold

Which D made it to the SCF again?

Old
01-12-2013, 05:34 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Hemsky's contract is worse than Volchenkov's.

Hemsky's injury problems are worse than Tallinder's.
How is a 2yr 5M contract with no NTC worse then 4yrs 4.25M with a NTC.

Tallinder could be a walking time bomb, and his age compounds the possible problems, not worth the risk. Hemsky's problems were his shoulders and those seemed to fixed, and he's a lot younger.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:43 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Fayne has proven more?
Petry plays on the top pairing and plays agaisnt the toughest competition.. How has a #6 Dman proven more?
You like you own players more which is fine.. Gives you no right to bash others...
Fayne is not a #6 defenseman, stating that he clearly shows you know nothing about him or his game.

For the way Edmonton fans like to talk up their defenseman, you'd expect them to be a hell of a lot better than 23rd in GA.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:45 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
So.....

Smid-Whitney
Petry-Schultz
N. Schultz-Theo Peckham
Potter-Sutton

over

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Salvador
Volchenkov-Zidlicky
Tallinder-Harrold

Which D made it to the SCF again?
Let me clarify. The guys we're talking about in the deal wouldn't be more than bottom pair here. There's no point in bickering over which defense core is better, when only a couple of guys are being discussed. I'd measure up Smid, Petry and Whitney against your top three and say they are comparable though. Certainly last year New Jersey had better defensive depth, and considering we didn`t have J. Schultz at all, N. Schultz until the trade deadline, Whitney is healthier now than he was last year and Petry really didn`t hit his stride until December, our defense core already looks very different than what we started with last year. Anyway, if we did this trade, our defense would look like this:

J. Schultz - Whitney
Smid - Petry
N. Scultz - Tallinder/Volchenkov

This is what the pairings in Edmonton would almost certainly look like if we made this move. Having Volchenkov or Tallinder would certainly be better than having Potter or Peckham (Sutton is injured and likely done), but not worth moving Hemsky for unless something else pretty sweet came along with the defenseman. And I don`t see Lou offering up enough on top of either player to make it worth our while.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:48 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Fayne is not a #6 defenseman, stating that he clearly shows you know nothing about him or his game.

For the way Edmonton fans like to talk up their defenseman, you'd expect them to be a hell of a lot better than 23rd in GA.
For the record, we were letting in a lot more goals early in the year, when Whitney wasn't playing, before we had N. Schultz and before Petry was moved to Smid's pair and he really took off. With a healthy Whitney (which of course is a toss up), a full season of N. Schultz, Petry emerging as a very good top 4 guy (who played against top offensive players, btw), and adding Justin Schultz, we should already have a lot better defense than what we had last season without making a move for another depth defenseman.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post

EDM fans are not talking up any DMan.. we just dont want to give up Hemsky for a Tallinder or Volchenkov .. Oilers had issues on secondary scoring last year.. Giving up Hemsky without seeing what he do with Yakupov would be stupid.
After Kovy Hemsky would probably be the biggest offensive threat for NJ .. No way you get him for Tallnder.

I have not seen Fayne play many games but judging by his ~16min TOI I am assuming he was on the 3rd pairing for NJ thus a #6. I am pretty sure not many of NJ fans who are bashing Petry have seen much of him on the Oilers.

Like I said, talk up Fayne all you want but do your homework before bashing other players.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:51 PM
ManoWarrior

As a Canucks fan I'd rather play an Edmonton team with Hemsky rather than Volchenkov.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:56 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
As a Canucks fan I'd rather play an Edmonton team with Hemsky rather than Volchenkov.
Ok, sure. Hemsky will add secondary scoring this year, so you don't only have one line to shut down, wheras Volchenkov would be a third pair, pk d-man who would block some shots, but in the grand scheme of things wouldn't be nearly the difference maker Hemsky is.

That's like me saying I'd rather play a Vancouver team who added Bouwmeester and lost a Sedin.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
yes .. Volchenkov with his stickhandling and skating would be too much to handle ...
EDM fan would rather see the team go against Sedin than Clutterbuck .. doesnt make A < B

Old
01-12-2013, 05:57 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
EDM fans are not talking up any DMan.. we just dont want to give up Hemsky for a Tallinder or Volchenkov .. Oilers had issues on secondary scoring last year.. Giving up Hemsky without seeing what he do with Yakupov would be stupid.
After Kovy Hemsky would probably be the biggest offensive threat for NJ .. No way you get him for Tallnder.

I have not seen Fayne play many games but judging by his ~16min TOI I am assuming he was on the 3rd pairing for NJ thus a #6. I am pretty sure not many of NJ fans who are bashing Petry have seen much of him on the Oilers.

Like I said, talk up Fayne all you want but do your homework before bashing other players.
Where are you getting 16 minutes TOI???

Old
01-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Where are you getting 16 minutes TOI???
last few games he played.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:01 PM
CJV123

Hemsly's contract is absurd and he has no net value in trade- EDM will have to pay part of his cost and/or take a bad contract back in exchange. I'm laughing at all these EDM fans deluding themselves here- with the decline in the cap next year, Hemsky would be an albatross tied around a team's neck.

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:04 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
Hemsly's contract is absurd and he has no net value in trade- EDM will have to pay part of his cost and/or take a bad contract back in exchange. I'm laughing at all these EDM fans deluding themselves here- with the decline in the cap next year, Hemsky would be an albatross tied around a team's neck.
There have been some questionable posts in this thread, but this one is just ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with Hemsky's deal, especially considering its only for two years. I think you should look at what comparable players are making before you say such outlandish things.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:06 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Try 20:11 TOI for the season

Old
01-12-2013, 06:09 PM
SDig14

Quote:
You sir are the big winner for best post of the thread.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
CJV123

Quote:
There have been some questionable posts in this thread, but this one is just ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with Hemsky's deal, especially considering its only for two years. I think you should look at what comparable players are making before you say such outlandish things.
"Outlandish"? He's a 0.5 ppg "scorer" who played at -13 with only 8 PPP on the season, and he's being paid $5MM this year and $5MM next year, when the cap goes down. And he's an injury waiting to happen.

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
He was playing injured in those games. Fayne averaged 20:11 in the regular season over 82 games played, 20:19 in the playoffs. He and Andy Greene were New Jersey's go-to defensive pairing throughout the playoff run and played spectacularly. He's a #3 defenseman at absolute worst.

New Jersey may not have any all-star defensemen, but virtually every defenseman on the team would make an argument for a #2-#3 spot on most teams in the league. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better set of top-7 defensemen than Greene, Fayne, Zidlicky, Tallinder, Salvador, Volchenkov, and Larsson.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
"Outlandish"? He's a 0.5 ppg "scorer" who played at -13 with only 8 PPP on the season, and he's being paid $5MM this year and $5MM next year, when the cap goes down. And he's an injury waiting to happen.
nice selective stats... try his stats from previous years and claim he is a 0.5ppg player ..
Hemsky's contract is high but is far from absurd nor is his trade value 0. There is no need to be salesman here.. You are convincing no one.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
SDig14

Quote:
The point is the guy will play half a season this year and then only have 1 year left on his deal. He will either stay healthy and perform, or if he plays badly can be bought out or used until his deal is up.

There's almost no risk on such a short term deal for the Oilers.

If teams don't want him we will keep him. I think we would keep him even if others DID want him anyways.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:21 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
For the record, we were letting in a lot more goals early in the year, when Whitney wasn't playing, before we had N. Schultz and before Petry was moved to Smid's pair and he really took off. With a healthy Whitney (which of course is a toss up), a full season of N. Schultz, Petry emerging as a very good top 4 guy (who played against top offensive players, btw), and adding Justin Schultz, we should already have a lot better defense than what we had last season without making a move for another depth defenseman.
I don't doubt for a second that Edmonton's defense will be better this year than last year.

My issue is with taking guys who were previous unknowns/avewrage guys and selectively choosing which half of a night/day season to ignore and which to use when evaluating them.

People in this thread are comparing Petry/Smid to Carlson/Alzner, and which I don't even come close to agreeing with at this point.

The only Edmonton defenseman I'd move a NJ defenseman to make room for no questions asked is Whitney. Petry and Smid certainly quality defenseman but neither would make New Jersey's top-4 at the moment. J. Schultz is a complete unknown and the rest are role players.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
So you're willing to go with history when discussing his health, but will only look at last year when examining production? Way to strengthen your argument.

I can see this thread will continue to spiral downward at this rate. I, much like every other Oiler fan in this thread, feel fine entering the season with our current D corps and glass Hemsky. I personally think it will only take a month to silence some of the critics, but only time will tell.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:24 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

All hail the mighty defense of the Edmonton Oilers! Its 3x the defense of the defending Eastern Conference Champions which is apparently full of AHL schmucks and Adam Larsson. You people make me laugh.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote