HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread IV (Playoffs?!?! Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
I still place far more blame on Shanahan. He gets to call who plays. I don't get how he watched Griffin play and thought his bad performance was worth the huge risk. I was calling for cousins since the second TD. I wouldn't have held it against Shanny if we lost with Cousins in. Tell me it's to preserve the future of the franchise and I'm content, especially since it was something I wanted during the game.

01-11-2013, 05:22 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
1 Jesus seems enough to me. But 2 seems like it could be entertaining I suppose.

He seemed to tank the Jets more than they could otherwise. Too much drama and no position for him to play makes this an easy one.

/Randy Holt 3:16

Old
01-12-2013, 04:25 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Pshh...F that noise. Pass on the Tebow circus. It's become an embarassing sideshow...

Old
01-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Ridley Simon

Just say No to Tebow. He ruined that team (Jets). Not saying it was his fault, but the results speak for themselves. He's a polarizing force, one that the Redskins do NOT Need. Skins have their own forces at work as it is, and to add another one would be stupid, frankly. At least, IMO.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:17 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Leave it to Mike Wise, an idiot himself, to give credibility to the current idiot serving as Mayor of DC, Vincent Gray:

Only RGIII can make the Redskins change their name. Here’s why he won’t.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...y.html?hpid=z1

Last edited by WetHog: 01-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

For as great Kyle is blah blah, I am really surprised he didnt dial up a few more deep balls against Seattle. Baltimore dials up a deep post TD in the first quarter. Against a top D and corner. No problem.

No planned rollouts to buy wide outs time. We go deep to Garcon but dont even try to run off the safety who picked it off.

I know we have to have an established run game first before even thinking about "generating" the time needed to throw deep.

Its why I question our 1 dimensional run first or die offense.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-12-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
txpd

tebow is runs a run pass option qb position strong. not many do. the circus isnt on tebow. who told the jets to get him and then never make an offense to use him?

i am not a big tebow fan, but he runs the kind of offense that rgiii does far more than cousins does. btw...if rgiii blows his knee out again to become a pocket passer, will he become a novelty?

Old
01-12-2013, 05:51 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Watching the Den vs Crows game and its clear I am witnessing an end of an era, and I don't mean Ray Lewis. Champ Bailey has been lit up and abused by Torrey Smith all game. Bailey showing his age.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
tebow is runs a run pass option qb position strong. not many do. the circus isnt on tebow. who told the jets to get him and then never make an offense to use him?

i am not a big tebow fan, but he runs the kind of offense that rgiii does far more than cousins does. btw...if rgiii blows his knee out again to become a pocket passer, will he become a novelty?
Even in the short time we've been able to watch RG3, its very obvious that he is a much better pure passer than Tebow. I realize that may not have been your point, but you mention novelty, which is what many consider Tebow. So you are certainly insinuating the comparison here, even if you try and slide out of it.

RG3 is a very good passer. He's not Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers (yet), but he has some great tools and a terrific arm. If he *had* to become a straight pocket passer, I wouldnt assume he'd be terrible...especially if thats all he had going for him, and it was what he had to set his mind too.

RG3 is a helluva leader, athlete, and student of the game. He's 22, and that is what showed with his playoff game antics, more than anything....his youth. As far as him as a player, you are selling him well short, Tex.

Well short.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:10 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

RGIII could be an excellent pocket passer. And looking around the league at Manning, Manning, Brady, Brees, Stafford, Schaub, Flacco, Luck etc. I wonder why he isn't.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:14 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
RGIII could be an excellent pocket passer. And looking around the league at Manning, Manning, Brady, Brees, Stafford, Schaub, Flacco, Luck etc. I wonder why he isn't.
Yes there is no reason why Griffin cannot run the offense Cousins ran in the Cleveland game. That is the offense Schaub runs in Houston. Establish the run and hit them with play action and/or bootlegs for big yardage. Also, a little west coast offense quick slant routes are apart of it as well.

At some point the read/option part of the Skins offense would need to be fazed out. It was implemented to help Griffin's transition to the NFL and it turned out to be a game breaker. But now with knee issues facing Griffin, and a RB in Morris that can shoulder a big load, no better time to faze out the pistol whip offense than now.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Yes there is no reason why Griffin cannot run the offense Cousins ran in the Cleveland game. That is the offense Schaub runs in Houston. Establish the run and hit them with play action and/or bootlegs for big yardage. Also, a little west coast offense quick slant routes are apart of it as well.

At some point the read/option part of the Skins offense would need to be fazed out. It was implemented to help Griffin's transition to the NFL and it turned out to be a game breaker. But now with knee issues facing Griffin, and a RB in Morris that can shoulder a big load, no better time to faze out the pistol whip offense than now.
eh, if need be. I dont think thats definitive yet

Lets see what we have after the surgery. The offense isnt what got Griffin injured. He got hurt because he pulled the ball down when the WR's were covered. That would have happened in any offense.

I like the Pistol...its innovative and unique, and very hard to plan for/defend. If RG3 maintains his burst, then it's a useful set for them to run. If he can't, then perhaps it's time to be more conventional with our QB.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Because our oline sucks. It would get exposed if it werent for our misdirection, didnt you see what happened when Cousins stepped in?

Old
01-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Because our oline sucks. It would get exposed if it werent for our misdirection, didnt you see what happened when Cousins stepped in?
thats a little myopic, and not exactly fair.

Team was down 10 with less than 5min to play, so everyone knew they had to throw. They also had a back up guard playing (rookie), against one of the better D's in the league....

Not exactly an ideal spot for the offensive line to "shine"

Old
01-12-2013, 06:34 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
eh, if need be. I dont think thats definitive yet

Lets see what we have after the surgery. The offense isnt what got Griffin injured. He got hurt because he pulled the ball down when the WR's were covered. That would have happened in any offense.

I like the Pistol...its innovative and unique, and very hard to plan for/defend. If RG3 maintains his burst, then it's a useful set for them to run. If he can't, then perhaps it's time to be more conventional with our QB.
I maded that comment based on what I read about Griffins previous knee injury (basically a temporary fix that was bound to re-injure) and speculation of the status of Griffins meniscus in his right knee after two injuries to his ACL. Regardless of Griffins rehab dedication, he will return not as mobile in that knee than before he injured it the 2nd time. Now whatever he comes back as might still be as explosive as anyone on the field, but it will be time to think of the long term health of the knee. And to start designing the offense around Griffin moving forward with that in mind.

I to expect the pistol whip offense to be used in the future, but simply as a change of pace during a game. The way Griffin runs he cuts a lot on a dime to avoid people. Its what makes him a great runner, but the opportunities to cut on that knee should be reduced, IMO.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I maded that comment based on what I read about Griffins previous knee injury (basically a temporary fix that was bound to re-injure) and speculation of the status of Griffins meniscus in his right knee after two injuries to his ACL. Regardless of Griffins rehab dedication, he will return not as mobile in that knee than before he injured it the 2nd time. Now whatever he comes back as might still be as explosive as anyone on the field, but it will be time to think of the long term health of the knee. And to start designing the offense around Griffin moving forward with that in mind.

I to expect the pistol whip offense to be used in the future, but simply as a change of pace during a game. The way Griffin runs he cuts a lot on a dime to avoid people. Its what makes him a great runner, but the opportunities to cut on that knee should be reduced, IMO.
thats fair I suppose. Not sure I agree to that yet. Griffin is still only 22. I'm not sure that the offense is the issue, however, it could create more risk for him. Not being a pocket passer by nature (less leg shots for pockets passers, in conjunction with more wear and tear on the knee while cutting) could shorten his career.

But I wont argue with you over it.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Cush
-inator

Denver's D looking like Washington there

Old
01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I have heard docs interviewed on 106.7 and they say RG3 may not show any ill effects, worse 40 times etc. It is speculative at best to say he will not be the same. He had an ACL previously yet seemed no worse for wear before getting Ngata'd.

If we decide to make him a pocket passer or not, I want Shanahan to figure out how to get better pass protection for his QBs. Its not rocket science. Other teams can run with linemen that excel in pass protection and they win super bowls. And he can too. He just needs to stop being so stubborn about how to build an offensive line.

If he can pass pro, then he at least has the option to not be so dependent on RG3's wheels, should they not be 100% when he rushes back into the lineup. That's my fear, he will not be fully healed when we see him play next.

I want him to be able to sit in the pocket and take advantage of the cover 2 coverage that just seems so easily exploited.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-12-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Cush
-inator

wow, 2nd OT

Old
01-12-2013, 08:05 PM
BTCG

WOO HOO!

No mo disparaging Flacco.... masterful game!

We may be super bowl bound.

OBVIOUS TRUISM DEPARTMENT

CBS Announcer(in OT): "The Ravens were universally said to be the underdogs in this game"

Me: "And that was by the (CBS) announcers, alone."

And with good reason: that was THE most one-sided announcing I ever heard of a football game. CBS ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Great night for all of us Raven fans!

Old
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
thats a little myopic, and not exactly fair.

Team was down 10 with less than 5min to play, so everyone knew they had to throw. They also had a back up guard playing (rookie), against one of the better D's in the league....

Not exactly an ideal spot for the offensive line to "shine"
Well did you see them last year? Grossman got killed on traditional dropbacks.

On RG3, to reiterate what I read on twitter, he had a step to lose. Even if he's 4.5-4.6 speed he can still be effective.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:22 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
On RG3, to reiterate what I read on twitter, he had a step to lose. Even if he's 4.5-4.6 speed he can still be effective.
How do you mean, effective?

Andrew Luck has a 4.6 40. He's a pure pocket passer.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
How do you mean, effective?

Andrew Luck has a 4.6 40. He's a pure pocket passer.
Yes but Luck is fully capable of bootlegs and misdirection. Cousins is what 4.6-4.7, but thats more than enough for what we like to do, like the Cleveland game.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:35 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
thats fair I suppose. Not sure I agree to that yet. Griffin is still only 22. I'm not sure that the offense is the issue, however, it could create more risk for him. Not being a pocket passer by nature (less leg shots for pockets passers, in conjunction with more wear and tear on the knee while cutting) could shorten his career.

But I wont argue with you over it.
Yes nothing will be certain until Griffin is on the field doing individual drills, testing out the knee. And that is a long ways off. No need to argue over it, but a discussion on that and other things Skins offseason is always welcome.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:45 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I have heard docs interviewed on 106.7 and they say RG3 may not show any ill effects, worse 40 times etc. It is speculative at best to say he will not be the same. He had an ACL previously yet seemed no worse for wear before getting Ngata'd.

If we decide to make him a pocket passer or not, I want Shanahan to figure out how to get better pass protection for his QBs. Its not rocket science. Other teams can run with linemen that excel in pass protection and they win super bowls. And he can too. He just needs to stop being so stubborn about how to build an offensive line.

If he can pass pro, then he at least has the option to not be so dependent on RG3's wheels, should they not be 100% when he rushes back into the lineup. That's my fear, he will not be fully healed when we see him play next.

I want him to be able to sit in the pocket and take advantage of the cover 2 coverage that just seems so easily exploited.
I get what you are saying about the O-line, and as a former O-line player and coach, I appreciate it, but the only way the Skins get big O-lineman that excel at pass blocking is to get a new HC and OC. Smaller/faster O-lineman is what Shanahan does. Its what makes his very effective running game work.

Sure it makes it difficult for conventional pass blocking, but thats why Shanahan has WCO princples in his drop back passing plays, and why he needs a mobile QB to run it. Someone that can bootleg out and by time with their feet when pass protection breaks down. Elway, Young, Plummer, and Cutler all fit that mold. Griffin can and does. So does Cousins.

Having said all that, I think a more sound alternative to Polumbus at RT will make a big difference with pass protection and the passing game. Get a RT that fits Shanahans O-line mold that can live without TE help on the DE more times than not and the passing game opens up with the additiion of the TE in his pattern faster.

Closed Thread