HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

F Chris Kreider (2009, 19th overall, NY Rangers) II -"What's the big deal," you ask?

Old
01-11-2013, 09:42 AM
zeke
#freewilly

vCash: 500
and, let's be honest, Kreider has literally been one of the worst players on the Whale this year.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Xokkeu

The reaction to Kreider's playoff run is getting overblown at just about the same degree as his AHL production. His overall body of work and skill set still point to a solid career.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
and, let's be honest, Kreider has literally been one of the worst players on the Whale this year.
There are many worse than he.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
There are many worse than he.
Bolding the word many doesn't change reality.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:07 PM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Obviously my thoughts are biased being a Homer.
But I'd rather have Atkinson. I He had a strong nger career at BC and his success has continued ever since. Now he is 2 years older, but he's a much smaller player and is just as gritty.

Cams Stats
I'm sure Cam would have more points this season but the coach in Springfield hasn't been afraid to bench Cam and others to discipline them in clutch situations to teach them lessons. Taking bad penalties etc.

Not saying Krieder is bad, just think he's over hyped right now. Can he continue his success this season after poor showing in the AHL.

Krieder stats

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:46 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

the beauty of threads such as this are that we will all know sooner or later exactly how good or bad Chris Kreider is.

Having watched a few of his AHL games I can tell you the guy is clearly still on a learning curve. Consistency is an issue but he has speed to burn.

I for one like his chances of making the rangers at some point relatively soon

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:18 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Atkinson over Kreider?? Man this is going to be fun to bump in a year or so.

01-12-2013, 09:29 PM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
LOL Atkinson put up far better numbers at BC then Krieder, and is challenging for a top spot in the AHL for points. If Krieder is as talented as everyone makes him to be than he should have continued putting up points in the AHL. Yeah I'm sure it's REAAAAL hard to put up points playing for the Rangers.. Atkinson has shown consistent improvement year after year.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:47 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

AHL isn't for young players to rack up points, it's to better prepare them for the NHL. Sometimes putting up points and becoming better fitted for the pros don't go hand in hand.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:49 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
LOL Atkinson put up far better numbers at BC then Krieder, and is challenging for a top spot in the AHL for points. If Krieder is as talented as everyone makes him to be than he should have continued putting up points in the AHL. Yeah I'm sure it's REAAAAL hard to put up points playing for the Rangers.. Atkinson has shown consistent improvement year after year.
According to the Whale coach, the Rangers were teaching Kreider the Rangers' defensive systems during his time in the NHL and he was working on rounding out his game.

Kreider is also more than half a foot taller and 50 lbs heavier than Atkinson.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:50 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Strong argument. BC numbers durr.

If you really want to talk numbers look up Nate Gerbe, who was much better than Atkinson in college and posted comparable AHL numbers. He gets to play with actual talent in Buffalo. Take a look at his first two NHL seasons.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
According to the Whale coach, the Rangers were teaching Kreider the Rangers' defensive systems during his time in the NHL and he was working on rounding out his game.

Kreider is also more than half a foot taller and 50 lbs heavier than Atkinson.
LOL tell that to St Louis
Quote:
Strong argument. BC numbers durr.

If you really want to talk numbers look up Nate Gerbe, who was much better than Atkinson in college and posted comparable AHL numbers. He gets to play with actual talent in Buffalo. Take a look at his first two NHL seasons.
. Except this season the AHL was FLOODED with talent, any other year I wouldn't bother with AHL stats but he was leading almost all the other elite prospects in the AHL such as taylor hall, Nino, nyquist Connolly just to name a few. He showed a glimpse of what he can do in the NHL last season. And I have heard nothing but good things about him so far this offseason.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...me-in-ahl.html

Last edited by BoonesJenner: 01-12-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Kid Dynamite
5 14 6 1

vCash: 835
Quote:
LOL tell that to St Louis
. Except this season the AHL was FLOODED with talent, any other year I wouldn't bother with AHL stats but he was leading almost all the other elite prospects in the AHL such as taylor hall, Nino, nyquist Connolly just to name a few. He showed a glimpse of what he can do in the NHL last season. And I have heard nothing but good things about him so far this offseason.
[/URL]
And Taylor Hall outscored Crosby last year! I think it's safe to say Atkinson > Crosby. Misrepresentation is fun!

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:01 AM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
And Taylor Hall outscored Crosby last year! I think it's safe to say Atkinson > Crosby. Misrepresentation is fun!
Well that escalated quickly..

Am I in no way saying Atkinson is better than Taylor Hall I mean obviously he's a big reason for the success that Eberle and Schultz are having, but when two jackets prospects are doing just as good and leading their team to the top of their conference people start making excuses. The fact that a 6th Rd pick and a undrafted free agent are performing just as well as first Rd pick is impressive. Atkinson is going to see top 6 time in Columbus this season. And Jonathan Audy Marchessault could possibly be called up as well, but I don't think he'll be able to keep up yet. Point is Atkinson has the potential to be to make a lot of fans around here forget about Nash.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Well that escalated quickly..

Am I in no way saying Atkinson is better than Taylor Hall I mean obviously he's a big reason for the success that Eberle and Schultz are having, but when two jackets prospects are doing just as good and leading their team to the top of their conference people start making excuses. The fact that a 6th Rd pick and a undrafted free agent are performing just as well as first Rd pick is impressive. Atkinson is going to see top 6 time in Columbus this season. And Jonathan Audy Marchessault could possibly be called up as well, but I don't think he'll be able to keep up yet. Point is Atkinson has the potential to be to make a lot of fans around here forget about Nash.
lol.

Look at their PPGs.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:20 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Atkinson scored 14 points in 27 games, which is better than Kreider's 7 points in 18 games at the NHL level. He will be given the ice time needed to succeed as the BJ's are lacking offensive firepower in their top 6, whereas Kreider could play in the top 6 or be pushed out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Atkinson outscored Kreider.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Crede777
Deputized

All people bring up about Atkinson is his size. They brought it up in college, before he jumped to the AHL, and then before he made his NHL debut. Yet he produces at every level. Consistently.

If Kreider's 18 games in the NHL are a significant sample size, then so too are Atkinson's 27 games. If they aren't, then all we have to go by are BCU and AHL production. If we're going to argue "but just watching him shows..." then just watching Atkinson shows that his skating and shot are very high quality. He is not easily separated from the puck and is able to out-skate most of the competition. He is and has been playing at a top-6 NHL level for the past year or so.

The point isn't that I'm saying Atkinson is better than Kreider. The point is that there isn't a metric which shows Kreider to be better at the moment. Same goes for Atkinson vs. Johansen. Sure Johansen has his CHL stats, "innate ability," size, and the Falcons coaches have him focusing on defensive play over offense. What do those count for, though, if Atkinson is playing on the top line opening night and Johansen is still in the AHL?

Last edited by Crede777: 01-13-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Machinehead
Pinot Kreider

Kreider gets 3 points in the Ranger's first game and this gets super-bumped. Calling it now

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:47 AM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Kreider gets 3 points in the Ranger's first game and this gets super-bumped. Calling it now
Atkinson ended the NHL season last year with 9pts in 5 games..

Old
01-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Machinehead
Pinot Kreider

Quote:
Atkinson ended the NHL season last year with 9pts in 5 games..
That's last year, you can't bump last year.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:06 AM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That's last year, you can't bump last year.
I'm not, I'm the fact that he's 3rd in the AHL to only Eberle and Schultz and he's in mid season form where as most of the NHL isn't. Teams are going to be playing basically every other day until mid April. Those who are not ready will definitely feel the effects.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:21 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
I'm not, I'm the fact that he's 3rd in the AHL to only Eberle and Schultz and he's in mid season form where as most of the NHL isn't. Teams are going to be playing basically every other day until mid April. Those who are not ready will definitely feel the effects.
The edge given by having played recently will quickly diminish and shouldn't really affect anything beyond camp and maybe the first few games. The players who haven't played have been training hard and keeping in top condition. That's by admission of our own coach Todd Richards.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:41 AM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The edge given by having played recently will quickly diminish and shouldn't really affect anything beyond camp and maybe the first few games. The players who haven't played have been training hard and keeping in top condition. That's by admission of our own coach Todd Richards.
Being in shape and being in mid season form is the difference of getting your shot off accurate and on time, and getting laid the **** out lol

Old
01-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Minor Boarding

Big deal with Kreider?
If we go by history, the New York Rangers are notorious for hyping their prospects to maximum here on HF boards.
Some of them fullfill their hype, others bust...Nothing new here I suppose.
Gilroy, Montoya, Grachev were hyped to a ridiculous level as were Del Zotto, Girrardi, M. Staal.

Will see where this story ends...
Stay tuned

Minor Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming

22 pages and this still hasn't been used?

For shame HFboards, for shame

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote