HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
If Oreilly gets traded and we don't get a 3C to replace him then I pretty sure it'll be Olver that centers the 3rd line for now. He's proven to be capable of playing on the 3rd line and is a natural center if I'm not mistaken. Obviously he wouldn't be as good on faceoffs, but I think Stastny or Mitchell could handle the extra load of critical faceoffs.

And Olver still has some offensive upside IMO. I think with some good chemistry he could be a 30-40 point guy over the course of an 82 game season.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Olver looked overmatched every time he took shifts as a center and Arnott and his attitude isn't something that Colorado needs in their locker-room.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:28 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Olver looked overmatched every time he took shifts as a center and Arnott and his attitude isn't something that Colorado needs in their locker-room.
Could you explain this?

Old
01-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

This thread needs more Jesse Winchester (as a #3 C).

Face-off and PK machine.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Face-off and PK machine.
Winchester is a 4th line center.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Could you explain this?
He (alongside JP Dumont) had issues with most of the young guys in Nashville (most notably Weber and Radulov) and the end of his tenure in NJ wasn't exactly good as well.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
He (alongside JP Dumont) had issues with most of the young guys in Nashville (most notably Weber and Radulov) and the end of his tenure in NJ wasn't exactly good as well.
How so? How do you know that?

Old
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Arnott's attitude problems are not news. I've read him and Shayne Corson effectively partied their way out of Edmonton, and he was quickly traded from NJ after he whined about losing his A-Line partner Petr Sykora. Didn't hear about the stuff in Nashville.

The question is whether or not his attitude will really be all that disruptive. I don't think it would be--the NHL is full of headcases. That said, I don't think we need to waste our time with another center, certainly not a guy who is clearly in the twilight of his career. There's plenty of depth in the organization at that position.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Avs71

Panthers' fans seem to be worrying/speculating about Kulikov holding out/getting traded. Seems very similar to what were going through with O'Reilly. It's a shame he seems to get injured fairly frequently. If he was available, he would look good next to EJ.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Because He was between guys like Mcleod, Kobasew and other gritty type of players. When he was first bought in, in 2010, wasn't it to replace a higher end center (think it was 2nd line), played there, and got something like a point every second game?

Duchene / Hejduk was relegated to the 4th lines under Sacco, and they struggled offensively as well.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Face-off and PK machine.
Right, he's a machine programmed to lose faceoffs.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Right, he's a machine programmed to lose faceoffs.
He is still a machine though.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

T-minus 55 minutes until things get crazy.

I really think we'll see a flurry of trades tonight and tomorrow, possibly a couple of big ones.

As long as Oreilly isn't in a trade( or at least not a bad one) Ill be happy. I think we could see Obyrne moved out tomorrow though, for a Prospect or a pick.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

O'Byrne was one of our most important defenseman last season. He better not be getting moved.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:18 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
T-minus 55 minutes until things get crazy.

I really think we'll see a flurry of trades tonight and tomorrow, possibly a couple of big ones.

As long as Oreilly isn't in a trade( or at least not a bad one) Ill be happy. I think we could see Obyrne moved out tomorrow though, for a Prospect or a pick.
If we're not going to get something that helps us THIS season, we may as well keep everyone for depth until the off-season. With guys coming in without playing (some) for months and jumping into a compressed schedule, the risk of injury makes me hope we keep depth around.

Certainly don't want O'Byrne moved right now either. Guy is heart and soul.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Agreed and I do hope we keep him, but with 7 NHL Dmen already on 1 way contracts, and Barrie/Elliott each having a god shot at making the roster, I could see management moving out a Dman for picks/prospects/other needs. And unfortunately Obyrne is the only 1 who didnt get a new contract last offseason and who's contract is up this offseason. It just seams like he's the odd one out.

I personally would much rather see Wilson or Obrien traded, but my gut says if a Dman is moved it'll be Obyrne.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Agreed and I do hope we keep him, but with 7 NHL Dmen already on 1 way contracts, and Barrie/Elliott each having a god shot at making the roster, I could see management moving out a Dman for picks/prospects/other needs. And unfortunately Obyrne is the only 1 who didnt get a new contract last offseason and who's contract is up this offseason. It just seams like he's the odd one out.

I personally would much rather see Wilson or Obrien traded, but my gut says if a Dman is moved it'll be Obyrne.
In reality, it should be Hunwick. If there's an opportunity for him to play steady minutes elsewhere, I can see the Avs making that kind of move and giving him that chance instead of playing spot duty like he did last season. He ended up making the most of things, which is good for him.

Even if O'Byrne is an upcoming UFA, it doesn't mean he'll automatically be dealt. Sometimes having guys in their last year of their contract is a good thing. He could very well end up getting traded but I think that would come at the deadline if we're out of it or if things look bleak.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I dunno, I actually have some hope for Hunwick this year. As you said I thought he played well last year in his role. And I think he could be a guy to step up this year on the back end. Obviously not to an insane level where he all of a sudden become EJ's Top pairing partner we've been looking for. But I feel Hunwick could become a good #5 for us this year, and play the 2nd PP unit.

Now if Barrie makes the roster Im not sure Hunwick will even get the chance, but I think if given the chance he could really surprise this year.

Optimally I would like our D to look like this for the season:

Hejda - EJ
Obyrne - Barrie
Hunwick - Zanon/Wilson

And Obrien is the one that's traded. I really am a huge fan of Obyrnes ever since we traded for him, and I hope we don't trade him. Its more just that gut feeling I have that he's the one to be moved if we make a move at all.

Unless we end up making a big trade and bring in that true top pairing Dman, in which case I think it might be Wilson that's traded, as he has some potential still and likely holds more value then any other Dman we have not named EJ(and on a 1 way deal).

Old
01-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Another thing with Oreilly. Assuming talks with Oreilly and management aren't going well, Id have a lot of interest in swapping RFA's with some of the other big name RFA's available on the market.

I'd do Oreilly+ for Benn, Oreilly+ for Subban, Oreilly for Kulikov, and maybe Del Zotto+ for Oreilly.

IF, and only IF talks with Oreilly have gone a little stale. I would for sure be interested in something for any one of those RFA's. I think they'd all fit on this team quite well.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
I dunno, I actually have some hope for Hunwick this year. As you said I thought he played well last year in his role. And I think he could be a guy to step up this year on the back end. Obviously not to an insane level where he all of a sudden become EJ's Top pairing partner we've been looking for. But I feel Hunwick could become a good #5 for us this year, and play the 2nd PP unit.

Now if Barrie makes the roster Im not sure Hunwick will even get the chance, but I think if given the chance he could really surprise this year.

Optimally I would like our D to look like this for the season:

Hejda - EJ
Obyrne - Barrie
Hunwick - Zanon/Wilson

And Obrien is the one that's traded. I really am a huge fan of Obyrnes ever since we traded for him, and I hope we don't trade him. Its more just that gut feeling I have that he's the one to be moved if we make a move at all.

Unless we end up making a big trade and bring in that true top pairing Dman, in which case I think it might be Wilson that's traded, as he has some potential still and likely holds more value then any other Dman we have not named EJ(and on a 1 way deal).
I get where you're coming from but I don't see it. I believe the reason they have 7 veteran-ish d-men on 1-way contracts is because they want to cover all their bases in case of injuries and not have to rely on 20-21 year old d-men to help them out of that kind of jam over an extended period of time. A lot of people really don't like the O'Brien signing but the FIT he had on this team was absolutely 'outstanding' about 60 games into last season. Then that stupid 'Beauty' article came out on the Denver Post and he started thinking he was Bobby Orr, was being overused and completely exposed on a nightly basis. Unfortunately, the last 22 or so games of the season is all anyone remembers but as just about every single Nashville fan told us and as we've been able to witness, as a bottom pairing guy, he does his job and he does it well.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Another thing with Oreilly. Assuming talks with Oreilly and management aren't going well, Id have a lot of interest in swapping RFA's with some of the other big name RFA's available on the market.

I'd do Oreilly+ for Benn, Oreilly+ for Subban, Oreilly for Kulikov, and maybe Del Zotto+ for Oreilly.

IF, and only IF talks with Oreilly have gone a little stale. I would for sure be interested in something for any one of those RFA's. I think they'd all fit on this team quite well.
No thanks to Subban. That guy's EGO is absolutely insane. I was watching a show here in Quebec and apparently, this guy is missing meetings and stuff like that. He's way more trouble than he's worth and he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Do yourself a favor, go on NHL.com and check out penalty leaders for defencemen for the past 2-3 years. As far as I know, PK ain't fighting so that's a MAJOR concern in my opinion.

Big NO on Del Zotto. He's similar to Quincey in my opinion. He put up good points on one of the best defenses in the league but is suspect defensively and wouldn't be nearly as good if he wasn't insulated the way he is in New York.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Rhaego

Odds that Sherman pulls out a trade for the ages in 5 minutes?

Old
01-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Zero.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:57 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
My guess is 2/8641238431

Old
01-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Zero.
Oreilly for Ekman-Larsson is happening now #reversejinx

Closed Thread