HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jori Lehtera (Update: Re-signed with Sibir for 2 years)

Old
01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Lehtera is not currently signed to an NHL contract. The Blues did however qualify him this past summer to retain his rights. If they had no interest in him, they wouldn’t have bothered to retain his rights.

I also get the impression that Lehtera has very little to no desire to spend any time in Peoria though and that’s the main problem. For the Blues to give him a one-way contract, they will have to 1. Have a spot open for him (likely 3rd line center) and 2. Feel comfortable enough in his defensive play, skating, physicality and ability to transition to a league full of bigger, faster, stronger opponents without much of a safety net. Tarasenko is a better skater, more physical and also better defensively (as well as being more skilled) so that’s why he was pretty much given a spot on the team while that’s not nearly as certain for Lehtera. Tarasenko is also on a two-way contract with adds additional insurance for the Blues. With all of his question marks and the fact that he has little to no interest in spending a day in Peoria, that’s why Lehtera keeps returning to Russia IMO. He either needs to come off of his one-way contract/no Peoria demands or improve his deficiencies to the point that the Blues feel comfortable signing him to a one-way deal or he’s going to stay in Europe forever IMO.

How serious Lehtera is on an NHL career is also an unknown. IMO, if he wants to be an NHLer, he needs to come over to STL this summer and work out with the Blues and convince them that he’s shorn up his weaknesses to where they would then be comfortable signing him to a one-way deal. Of course, they would also need to have room for him (ie, say a winger is moved so they plan to move Steen back to LW).

The other option is to hopefully drum up interest in him around the league and then trade him to a team that either has room for him or their style of play simply matches his game better. Quite honestly, a skilled but non-physical, average skating, below average defensively center doesn’t exactly scream “Blues” to me.

Another option would be to give Lehtera a one-way deal but to have it written into his contract that if he doesn’t earn a spot with the Blues by X date or the Blues don’t trade him to a team that does have room for him, then they agree to return him to the KHL. What Lehtera doesn’t want is to play in Peoria and what the Blues don’t want is to be paying him ~ $1M to play in Peoria. A “KHL loan” clause like that in his contract would seem to solve that concern for both sides, ie. we’ll give you a shot but if you don’t make it, we’ll let you go back to the KHL instead of burying you in the minors.
Bolded is why I think how Steen performs this season is going to play a factor in this. If Steen proves he can be a solid C for us, it would allow us to move him back to LW and have him as a safety net should Lehterä not work out. If Lehterä did struggle at C then he can play LW, and if that didn't work, I think a bubble team would still take a punt on him for a late-round pick so we lose the salary.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:05 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Quote:

The other option is to hopefully drum up interest in him around the league and then trade him to a team that either has room for him or their style of play simply matches his game better. Quite honestly, a skilled but non-physical, average skating, below average defensively center doesn’t exactly scream “Blues” to me.
I understand. But I feel we can't get anything for him unless he is in N.A. Even if he comes over, and we trade him for a fourth round pick, its better than getting nothing for what started as a third round pick.

Quote:
Another option would be to give Lehtera a one-way deal but to have it written into his contract that if he doesn’t earn a spot with the Blues by X date or the Blues don’t trade him to a team that does have room for him, then they agree to return him to the KHL. What Lehtera doesn’t want is to play in Peoria and what the Blues don’t want is to be paying him ~ $1M to play in Peoria. A “KHL loan” clause like that in his contract would seem to solve that concern for both sides, ie. we’ll give you a shot but if you don’t make it, we’ll let you go back to the KHL instead of burying you in the minors.
I don't see why they don't try this. Obviously difficult this year. But over the summer? I don't see a reason why not.

But I really can't see a situation where he comes to N.A. on a one-way deal and the Blues can't find a trade partner willing to take a risk on the fifth leading scoring in the KHL.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Kshahdoo

I don't know what the problem with his skating. He just finished 6th in the fastest skater competition in KHL All Stars with 14.20. It's faster than Fedorov did in 1992. And as far as I understand, KHL lap is bigger than NHL one.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:00 AM
jaeger

Just because some of you think he'lll never be NHL player for YOU if he doesn't take the AHL route doesn't mean he couldn't do it with some other team. You could always trade his rights if you feel it's not going to work. Just like Karri Ramo's rights were traded.

jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:23 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
I don't know what the problem with his skating. He just finished 6th in the fastest skater competition in KHL All Stars with 14.20. It's faster than Fedorov did in 1992. And as far as I understand, KHL lap is bigger than NHL one.
Bigger ice means easier cornering and more speed. I highly doubt he can skate anywhere close to Fedorov's prime.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
Just because some of you think he'lll never be NHL player for YOU if he doesn't take the AHL route doesn't mean he couldn't do it with some other team. You could always trade his rights if you feel it's not going to work. Just like Karri Ramo's rights were traded.
What did you have in mind as a proposal?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
jaeger

Well, he's a 25yr old producing PPG in KHL in lockout season. I think you could get a 4rd rounder at least for his rights.

jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:44 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
That's very good to hear but how's lateral skating though? Agility, quickness (not the same thing as pure speed), etc.? I have seen marked improvement in his skating the past couple years to so it is very good he's improving. THe main two weaknesses of his that concern me though in regards to an NHL career are his defensive play and his lack of physicality. He seems to play a very good east-west game but in the NHL, it's pretty much all north-south. My concern is if he can successfully make that transition.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:10 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Well, he's a 25yr old producing PPG in KHL in lockout season. I think you could get a 4rd rounder at least for his rights.
Or we can wait until his KHL contract is up and have a late bloomer on our hands.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Well, he (Lehtera) is a 25yr old producing PPG in KHL in lockout season. I think you could get a 4rd rounder at least for his rights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Or we can wait until his KHL contract is up and have a late bloomer on our hands.
I think I like Carvin's idea better... I had a feeling that any proposed trade for Lehtera would try to drastically lowball the Blues.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Jori Lehtera is a free agent this upcoming summer yes? I presume one way or another we will know if Lehtera is another Junland or willing to cross the pond to N. A.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Jori Lehtera is a free agent this upcoming summer yes? I presume one way or another we will know if Lehtera is another Junland or willing to cross the pond to N. A.
I'm pretty sure he is an UFA in 2014.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

Jori Lehterä KHL all-star game shootout goal.

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post

That was my favourite move as kid, always fooled them goalies (:

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'm pretty sure he is an UFA in 2014.
I went out to find the contract as I was thinking his KHL contract ran out this summer but you're right! Lehtera signed a two year extension with Sibr last summer so his contract with them doesn't expire until the summer of 2014...so I guess we'll have to wait on the possibility of Lehtera a year longer than I thought.

That is of course, assuming that this Visnovsky thing doesn't blow up the NHL-KHL handshake agreement to honor each other's contracts and teams from both leagues start poaching players from the opposing league this summer... I REALLY hope that doesn't happen though!

Old
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
I went out to find the contract as I was thinking his KHL contract ran out this summer but you're right! Lehtera signed a two year extension with Sibr last summer so his contract with them doesn't expire until the summer of 2014...so I guess we'll have to wait on the possibility of Lehtera a year longer than I thought.

That is of course, assuming that this Visnovsky thing doesn't blow up the NHL-KHL handshake agreement to honor each other's contracts and teams from both leagues start poaching players from the opposing league this summer... I REALLY hope that doesn't happen though!
Hardly. If KHL didn't start the war because of Kovy, they will never start it because of Visnovsky. If Visnovsky or his lawer will find any holes in NHL rules then KHL perhaps can let him to stay. Otherwise no chances.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:36 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Hardly. If KHL didn't start the war because of Kovy, they will never start it because of Visnovsky. If Visnovsky or his lawer will find any holes in NHL rules then KHL perhaps can let him to stay. Otherwise no chances.
Agreed. I can't imagine that the KHL would want to fight this fight. Especially over Visnovsky and especially a year before the Sochi olympics. Visnovsky might not like it but I don't expect the KHL to "have his back" very much in terms of him staying there. No way should they be willing to open that can of worms over him.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Alklha

Quote:

Sorry, I was responding to that question as though it was his NHL rights, which we retain until 2014.

As for his contract with Sibir, I wouldn't read anything into any reports about it. The press release from the club about his extension only announced it, Sport Express reported saying it was a 2 year deal citing the Sibir press release. The team are still struggling financially (like all pro-sports teams in the region... Novosibirsk/Tomsk/Novokuznetsk), and they really needed to get Lehterä back for this season... I would be very surprised if they had managed to offer a financial package to entice him to sign a 2 year deal without any sort of out clauses.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:08 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Bigger ice means easier cornering and more speed. I highly doubt he can skate anywhere close to Fedorov's prime.
Actually I think he is one of the most fast skaters in the KHL

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
od71

Quote:
Sorry, I was responding to that question as though it was his NHL rights, which we retain until 2014.

As for his contract with Sibir, I wouldn't read anything into any reports about it. The press release from the club about his extension only announced it, Sport Express reported saying it was a 2 year deal citing the Sibir press release. The team are still struggling financially (like all pro-sports teams in the region... Novosibirsk/Tomsk/Novokuznetsk), and they really needed to get Lehterä back for this season... I would be very surprised if they had managed to offer a financial package to entice him to sign a 2 year deal without any sort of out clauses.
1. He really has 2 year contract with Sibir signed last summer.
2. Sibir is not struggling financially. Of course it's rather poor team in comparison with other KHL teams, such as Avangard, SKA, AK Bars etc. But it's not as poor as Metallurg Nvk. It has no debts.

Lehterya looks good with his lifelong partner Enlund. Without him he is not so impressive. In Lokomotiv Yaroslavl he didn't impress very much too.

Last edited by od71: 01-14-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post

I think it's the best SO goal in KHL ASG including Datsyuk's SO goals in skills competition

Old
01-14-2013, 03:05 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Thanks for the info Stl Fan in IA and everone else, I didn't know Lehtera signed another 2 year extension in the KHL, so we will know Lehtera's fate in the summer of 2014.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:59 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
1. He really has 2 year contract with Sibir signed last summer.
2. Sibir is not struggling financially. Of course it's rather poor team in comparison with other KHL teams, such as Avangard, SKA, AK Bars etc. But it's not as poor as Metallurg Nvk. It has no debts.

Lehterya looks good with his lifelong partner Enlund. Without him he is not so impressive. In Lokomotiv Yaroslavl he didn't impress very much too.
Wait, Lehtera played with Enlund for Jokerit, Tappara, and Peoria? Only missing 53 games with while Lehtera was in Lokomotiv?

Damn, sign that guy up too!

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
1. He really has 2 year contract with Sibir.

Struggling might have been a little harsh, because things aren't comparable to teams like Metallurg Nvk, Tom' Tomsk etc, but finances are certainly very tight.

I am just saying that I would be very surprised if they were in the financial position to offer him a contract that completely locks him down for 2 years without any out clauses or a buy out. Tarasenko, for example, had a very modest buy-out from his contract at Sibir that he was expected to use in 2011.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
od71

Quote:
Struggling might have been a little harsh, because things aren't comparable to teams like Metallurg Nvk, Tom' Tomsk etc, but finances are certainly very tight.

I am just saying that I would be very surprised if they were in the financial position to offer him a contract that completely locks him down for 2 years without any out clauses or a buy out. Tarasenko, for example, had a very modest buy-out from his contract at Sibir that he was expected to use in 2011.
Taras is a different story. His contract was expiring and Sibir was out of PO zone. After the season he was going to try the NHL. That's why GM traded him (his contract was one of the most expensive) to ease the budget.
This season Sibir is going to try a shot in PO
I haven't heard about any out clauses in his contract. May be I don't know about them, but I doubt that there are any of them. It would have been known.
Actually, Lehtera's rating after Yaroslavl was not very high in the KHL. What out clauses he could talk about?

Last edited by od71: 01-14-2013 at 12:14 PM.