HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
IHeartZherdev

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
There is the argument that it would be easier to attract UFAs if we were a playoff team with a good goalie.
Still we would be a team with a ton of holes and how many good teams are built through free agency.
Exactly. I'm so puzzled by the Lou to Toronto idea. That'd be like the Jackets trading for him. It could make them a fringe team at best.

The NY Rangers have been a UFA destination and have always landed the biggest names - and their brightest spots are always the guys like Krieder, Callahan, McDonough, and the Redden, Gomez, Drury, and soon to be Brad Richard's are the guys who never end up being worth it.

The problem was that Burke didn't go full rebuild and couldn't go all out to win now, so he ended up stuck in neutral. The right thing to do is either go with Reimer or trade for Bernier or someone you think can be good now AND for the future.

If you believe Gardiner, Kadri, and the guy drafted last year are the core- well, Bobby Lou will be 38 when those guys are hitting their stride. And you'll need goaltending again, but will be stuck with him on the books.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Still cheaper than Raymond. I respect that he would have value to some teams but I dont really see it for ours. We already have too many small quick forwards. Maybe we could flip him to one of the other teams but other than that I dont really want him.

Than again it was our GM that drafted him so he might see more value in him than I do.
Raymond, for all the flack he's gotten, is a good back checker and a solid PKer on a good PK team. Carlyle would probably like him a lot.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
FA?

Dan Ellis was a proposed signing earlier and he's having a decent year in the AHL on Charlotte.
Yeah the guys on SN made it sound like a deal was off, but yeah they could easily sign a free agent.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Here's a little anecdote.

Supposing Kessel had to be traded.

Suppose Leafs fans asked for Kesler in return. Fair, reasonable, etc. But we can't give him up due to our centre depth.

So instead they ask for Hodgson(for anecdotes sake, pretend we still have him)) + Jensen + 1st

We say Hodgson is untouchable, can't be traded, etc, especially given Kessel is a UFA in a year and a half, so it's too risky. So replace him with Schroeder and add a prospect like Eddie Lack.

Oh, and also, we need a 1st in this draft, as our prospect pool greatly lacks a legitimate franchise defenseman prospect that our team has needed since forever, who we might get in such a deep draft. So change the 1st out for Raymond + 2nd.

So Schroeder + Lack + Jensen + Raymond + 2nd
for Kessel + Franson

Now do people see why quantity for quality isn't appealing to fans of a team? Obviously Kessel has more value than Luongo, but to dilute that value to the point where any impact that the pieces will have pales in comparison to the player getting traded, especially when it does very little for the other team, it gives litte incentive to accept a trade like that

Old
01-12-2013, 10:34 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Raymond, for all the flack he's gotten, is a good back checker and a solid PKer on a good PK team. Carlyle would probably like him a lot.
I understand he is solid defensively but we have a desperate need to get bigger and harder to play against. Raymond doesnt help us do that.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Here's a little anecdote.

Supposing Kessel had to be traded.

Suppose Leafs fans asked for Kesler in return. Fair, reasonable, etc. But we can't give him up due to our centre depth.

So instead they ask for Hodgson(for anecdotes sake, pretend we still have him)) + Jensen + 1st

We say Hodgson is untouchable, can't be traded, etc, especially given Kessel is a UFA in a year and a half, so it's too risky. So replace him with Schroeder and add a prospect like Eddie Lack.

Oh, and also, we need a 1st in this draft, as our prospect pool greatly lacks a legitimate franchise defenseman prospect that our team has needed since forever, who we might get in such a deep draft. So change the 1st out for Raymond + 2nd.

So Schroeder + Lack + Jensen + Raymond + 2nd
for Kessel + Franson

Now do people see why quantity for quality isn't appealing to fans of a team? Obviously Kessel has more value than Luongo, but to dilute that value to the point where any impact that the pieces will have pales in comparison to the player getting traded, especially when it does very little for the other team, it gives litte incentive to accept a trade like that
Really good post tbh

Old
01-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I would move him for Lu if that is what it took to get it done but I would be very hesitant.

Big, strong, fast two way guys like him are hard to find.
I think it's stupid for Vancouver fans to be suggesting Gardiner, but Kulemin for Luongo sounds like more of a fair deal to me, and I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'm sure he's something of a fan favorite, but he's not part of your immediate core, is he? I think you gotta be willing give him up for a guy like Luongo, personally.

I would do it straight up, personally

I think the Kadri/Bozak deals are awful, personally.

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-12-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: not needed
Old
01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think it's stupid for Vancouver fans to be suggesting Gardiner, but Kulemin for Luongo sounds like more of a fair deal to me, and I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'm sure he's something of a fan favorite, but he's not part of your immediate core, is he? I think you gotta be willing give him up for a guy like Luongo, personally.

No way I do it straight up, not a chance but I agree with most of the rest if your post

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-12-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: qmep
Old
01-12-2013, 10:51 PM
ZKassian9

Quote:

Kulemin for Lu ??? Hahahahaha

I see the BC Ganga is tasting good tonight. Thx for the laugh. I'd rather keep Lu then take on Leaf garbage. A game every 2nd night with the leagues best tandem, yes please. Gillis doesn't like Russians either.

Old
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
they just said on SN that Eddie Lack is out for a month..could put the hold on a Luongo deal. Who the heck is going to back up Schneider if Luongo gets moved
Theodore or Clemm

I mentioned a day or two ago that Lack would be out for awhile/Canucks knew LIKELY before I did

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:

I'd be willing to trade Kulie for Luongo. I wouldnt like it but I would do it.
I still think we would have to add some lesser prospects or picks.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Theodore or Clemm
Markstrom.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Old
01-12-2013, 10:54 PM
ZKassian9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
Exactly. I'm so puzzled by the Lou to Toronto idea. That'd be like the Jackets trading for him. It could make them a fringe team at best.

The NY Rangers have been a UFA destination and have always landed the biggest names - and their brightest spots are always the guys like Krieder, Callahan, McDonough, and the Redden, Gomez, Drury, and soon to be Brad Richard's are the guys who never end up being worth it.

The problem was that Burke didn't go full rebuild and couldn't go all out to win now, so he ended up stuck in neutral. The right thing to do is either go with Reimer or trade for Bernier or someone you think can be good now AND for the future.

If you believe Gardiner, Kadri, and the guy drafted last year are the core- well, Bobby Lou will be 38 when those guys are hitting their stride. And you'll need goaltending again, but will be stuck with him on the books.
The Leafs only get secondary crap free agents. Of course the team wasn't going to play well. The Leafs will never get top free agent with mediocre at best goaltending. Getzlaf or Perry are not signing in TO with Reimer as the starter. The Leafs have zero prospects that will be that good. So yes, free agency can be good for a team.

Last edited by ZKassian9: 01-12-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
NugarifiK

vCash: 50
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund

Not saying it would happen, but I keep hearing people telling me the Oilers are in on Luongo... Watch the Oil to make some big move here.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:57 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugarifiK View Post

Not saying it would happen, but I keep hearing people telling me the Oilers are in on Luongo... Watch the Oil to make some big move here.
Pfff... We discussed this Eklund, the Oilers wont like the price for Luongo... (because of in-division, not because of value).

Old
01-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
No way I do it straight up, not a chance but I agree with most of the rest if your post
Well, I'd want maximum return as well, but I think it's a somewhat healthy compromise. I'd rather have Kulemin on this team than Bozak + Kadri + other players around the same caliber + picks, personally

Leafs fans DO have a point about Luongo not likely to return full value, they've just taken it too far with giving us their garbage.

Honestly, all I expect out of a Luongo trade is a fantastic role player or some solid player who can actually contribute and be a somewhat key member of the team. Kulemin would be one of those guys, IMO-- he'd be like adding another Higgins or Hansen to this team, which would be excellent.

I just have no interest in adding Bozak or Kadri to this team whatsoever (even if we're giving up significantly less than Luongo)

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Kulemin - Lapierre - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
XX

Looks like a very strong lineup to me.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugarifiK View Post

Ohh eklund. Keep naming Canadian teams to get those hits.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Well, I'd want maximum return as well, but I think it's a somewhat healthy compromise. I'd rather have Kulemin on this team than Bozak + Kadri + other players around the same caliber + picks, personally

Leafs fans DO have a point about Luongo not likely to return full value, they've just taken it too far with giving us their garbage.

Honestly, all I expect out of a Luongo trade is a fantastic role player or some solid player who can actually contribute and be a somewhat key member of the team. Kulemin would be one of those guys, IMO-- he'd be like adding another Higgins or Hansen to this team, which would be excellent.

I just have no interest in adding Bozak or Kadri to this team whatsoever (even if we're giving up significantly less than Luongo)

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Kulemin - Lapierre - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
XX

Looks like a very strong lineup to me.
I expect that and a pick, minimum. Kulemin + conditional 1st is the bare minimum that i'd consider reasonable for Luongo.

(Of course the condition is it's a 2nd if the Leafs miss the playoffs yada yada).

Old
01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Pfff... We discussed this Eklund, the Oilers wont like the price for Luongo... (because of in-division, not because of value).
I really think it would require the deal to include one of the big 4 for Gillis to agree to send Luongo to Edmonton.

However...........if he did go to Edmonton, look out. I think he would be lights out there.

(Edmonton won't trade any of the big 4 or 5, I should qualify).

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Ohh eklund. Keep naming Canadian teams to get those hits.
Luongo to Ottawa for Anderson and Spezza!

Old
Shareefruck

Quote:
I expect that and a pick, minimum. Kulemin + conditional 1st is the bare minimum that i'd consider reasonable for Luongo.

(Of course the condition is it's a 2nd if the Leafs miss the playoffs yada yada).
Yeah, fine, I'd like a pick too, but first and foremost I would like Kulemin on this team and NOT the other crap being thrown at us.

I honestly believe that both Kadri and Bozak would be pretty worthless on this team. I don't care so much about quantity adding up to fair value-- I just want a solid player out of this. Bozak is........ bleghh! Like adding another slightly better Raymond. We don't even remotely need that. We're not trading Luongo just to survive the month we play without Kesler.

Get another Hansen or Higgins type, at the very least.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-12-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 11:03 PM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Trades are officially legal. Let's end this.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Kulemin alone is absurd. He's coming off of a 7-goal season, and while he likely becomes a solid 20-20 guy going forward, there's no way he alone could net Luongo.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:04 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Yeah, fine, I'd like a pick too, but first and foremost I would like Kulemin on this team and NOT the other crap being thrown at us.

I honestly believe that both Kadri and Bozak would be pretty worthless on this team.
I'd rather Kulemin than Kadri, Frattin etc... that's for sure.

Definitely more than Connolly, Komisarek and the cap dumps.

Closed Thread